Failed the test on something I thought wasn’t my fault. Advise please.

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
FletMy

Failed the test on something I thought wasn’t my fault. Advise please.

Post by FletMy »

Failed the test on something I thought wasn’t my fault.
Exiting a roundabout I thought I was in the wrong lane and pulled over to the left hand lane after looking to check it was clear.
The examiner said I didn’t look and just pulled into it?!
Feel extremely hard done to after that when I feel like it’s his fault for not noticing that I checked it was clear before.
fredon

Re: Failed the test on something I thought wasn’t my fault. Advise please.

Post by fredon »

Problem is you can't argue with the examiner. I gave a running commentary during my test as I distrusted the examiner to notice me doing observations especially since he had dark sun glasses on a scarf and a pulled down hat.
rimaxi

Post by rimaxi »

fredon wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:27 am Problem is you can't argue with the examiner. I gave a running commentary during my test as I distrusted the examiner to notice me doing observations especially since he had dark sun glasses on a scarf and a pulled down hat.
did the same on mine 🤣
Stelmax

Post by Stelmax »

A examiner can only fail you if you have dine wrong, they still get paid the same pass or fail
FletMy

Post by FletMy »

Stelmax wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:29 am A examiner can only fail you if you have dine wrong, they still get paid the same pass or fail
He’s human.. we all make mistakes and his mistake was not seeing me check it was clear before moving over
Stelmax

Post by Stelmax »

FletMy wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:30 am
Stelmax wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:29 am A examiner can only fail you if you have dine wrong, they still get paid the same pass or fail
He’s human.. we all make mistakes and his mistake was not seeing me check it was clear before moving over
well you has a pupil should have made him aware you looked over , just take it on the chin today was not the day , you will go next time make more mistakes than this test and pass ,
evauity

Post by evauity »

Unlucky bud, try and get it in again
anplan

Post by anplan »

Just get straight back on it you’ll fly through. Happened to me on my first class 1, I was turning left at a T junction turning left and an impatient van came down the inside turning left. The examiner said I left too much room but he failed to notice the van mounted the kerb and rode on the pavement a bit at the trailer end before getting alongside. I saw him mirror examiner didn’t. Passed with three minors second time.
Jezling

Post by Jezling »

anplan wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:36 am Just get straight back on it you’ll fly through. Happened to me on my first class 1, I was turning left at a T junction turning left and an impatient van came down the inside turning left. The examiner said I left too much room but he failed to notice the van mounted the kerb and rode on the pavement a bit at the trailer end before getting alongside. I saw him mirror examiner didn’t. Passed with three minors second time.
examiner should have been paying attention on your first test and seen the driver mounted kerb on inside of you well done for passing 2nd time. I am angry for you to have gone through the stress of the first time not passing completely out of your hands. Would luv to call out all the incompetent examiners playing 'GOD' quite frankly..
jcchip

Post by jcchip »

Ignore it and go again you’ll pass I’m sure. I took out two curbs on my test and passed first time because the examiner must had been having a good day, luck of the draw mate
davita

Post by davita »

jcchip wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:40 am Ignore it and go again you’ll pass I’m sure. I took out two curbs on my test and passed first time because the examiner must had been having a good day, luck of the draw mate
i hit the curb on the way out of the test centre ( which my instructor told me to take special care not to as so many others have been failed for it) and got away with it aswell. think my examiner must also of been having a good day. as you say it the luck of the draw.
teeipp

Post by teeipp »

davita wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:52 am
jcchip wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:40 am Ignore it and go again you’ll pass I’m sure. I took out two curbs on my test and passed first time because the examiner must had been having a good day, luck of the draw mate
i hit the curb on the way out of the test centre ( which my instructor told me to take special care not to as so many others have been failed for it) and got away with it aswell. think my examiner must also of been having a good day. as you say it the luck of the draw.
did the same and swore still passed though 🤣🤣
bouom

Post by bouom »

Hope you had a re-test thrown in with your booking
FletMy

Post by FletMy »

bouom wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:56 am Hope you had a re-test thrown in with your booking
I get 2 tries at a test with the government scheme I’m doing
bouom

Post by bouom »

FletMy wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:56 am
bouom wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:56 am Hope you had a re-test thrown in with your booking
I get 2 tries at a test with the government scheme I’m doing
ok sound. Just don’t over complicate it mate.👍
gunfly

Post by gunfly »

As above, make sure you turn your head! Hope it goes well
phllowie

Post by phllowie »

That's a shite mate but you can't argue with them what you can do next time if you think or are in any doubt about the attention they are paying talk yourself through your maneuver something " just checking my mirror nothing there indicate checking again still clear over I go" they can't say you didn't do what you needed to do just talk it through say what your thinking and doing can't fail you for that best of luck next time
Jezling

Post by Jezling »

phllowie wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:00 am That's a shite mate but you can't argue with them what you can do next time if you think or are in any doubt about the attention they are paying talk yourself through your maneuver something " just checking my mirror nothing there indicate checking again still clear over I go" they can't say you didn't do what you needed to do just talk it through say what your thinking and doing can't fail you for that best of luck next time
thanks Phllowie yeah great idea talk it though out loud👍👍
hoilux

Post by hoilux »

Mark sure he sees you move your head what a bummer good luck for next time 👍
Steefie

Post by Steefie »

I failed first time on something similar. Booked my retest had a lesson before ..the instructor told me. Even if it sounds mad doing it. speak out loud to yourself as ur doing it. Lik Mirrors. Nob head pulling out so il slow down. So if ur tester didn't notice when u look in your mirror. the cunt will hear u or understand why ur slowing down or sumat. It helped me and got me a pass. 🙃.
Jezling

Post by Jezling »

it is time for cameras to be put into wagons and Examiners examined most do not pay attention to what the student is doing do they realise they are playing with people's lives and livelihoods. NO IS THE ANSWER!!! Invested a fortune myself at various locations across the country knew I passed on two occasions nothing you can do cannot prove the examiner has failed you when they should have passed you on test day... Industry needs a major overall very shady. No proof it appears to be a way of driving schools and test centres making more money out of people with extra lessons not needed and retest not needed.... 🙈
FletMy

Post by FletMy »

Jezling wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:07 am it is time for cameras to be put into wagons and Examiners examined most do not pay attention to what the student is doing do they realise they are playing with people's lives and livelihoods. NO IS THE ANSWER!!! Invested a fortune myself at various locations across the country knew I passed on two occasions nothing you can do cannot prove the examiner has failed you when they should have passed you on test day... Industry needs a major overall very shady. No proof it appears to be a way of driving schools and test centres making more money out of people with extra lessons not needed and retest not needed.... 🙈
exactly what I said… have a front facing camera and one in the cab and then I could say I looked and if you check you’ll see.. Then he could adjust it accordingly… Hard to take right now
rimaxi

Post by rimaxi »

FletMy wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:08 am
Jezling wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:07 am it is time for cameras to be put into wagons and Examiners examined most do not pay attention to what the student is doing do they realise they are playing with people's lives and livelihoods. NO IS THE ANSWER!!! Invested a fortune myself at various locations across the country knew I passed on two occasions nothing you can do cannot prove the examiner has failed you when they should have passed you on test day... Industry needs a major overall very shady. No proof it appears to be a way of driving schools and test centres making more money out of people with extra lessons not needed and retest not needed.... 🙈
exactly what I said… have a front facing camera and one in the cab and then I could say I looked and if you check you’ll see.. Then he could adjust it accordingly… Hard to take right now
it did not matter that you looked, you went the wrong way for the lane you were in.
FletMy

Post by FletMy »

rimaxi wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:08 am
it did not matter that you looked, you went the wrong way for the lane you were in.
Hardly a dangerous maneuver when I looked before I moved over… I’ve had a driving license for over 20 years but took wrong lanes plenty of times 🤷🏼‍♂️
rimaxi

Post by rimaxi »

FletMy wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:09 am

Hardly a dangerous maneuver when I looked before I moved over… I’ve had a driving license for over 20 years but took wrong lanes plenty of times 🤷🏼‍♂️
its a serious. If someone had been there then its a dangerous. Both are fails.
FletMy

Post by FletMy »

rimaxi wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:10 am

But nobody was there so it’s not dangerous is it 😂
Before you reverse out of your drive you check nobody is behind you then reverse don’t you? Must be dangerous regardless of wether there’s someone there or not in your opinion then?
rimaxi

Post by rimaxi »

FletMy wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:10 am

Before you reverse out of your drive you check nobody is behind you then reverse don’t you? Must be dangerous regardless of wether there’s someone there or not in your opinion then?
you should not reverse out your drive. You obviously do not understand the marking system for tests. You were in the wrong lane for what you did. Had people been there it would be marked as dangerous, with no one there it is marked as serious ieyouu got lucky no one was there. Everyone that could be around you knows from your position where you should be going. If you don't go there its a fault of significance. If it was not explained to you that going the right way from the wrong lane is a fail your trainer let you down. However it sounds like you just second guessed yourself and changed lanes because you were not sure . The best way to move on and pass is take ownership of the fault and not try to put blame on others. If it happens on your shift its your fault. Even if it's another vehicle that does it as you should be so good that you see its going wrong before it does and do something about it to fix others mistakes before they become an issue. I see this " it was not my fault" response after tests and if you don't change before the next one it does not end well. your not just driving for what is there but what could be there.
FletMy

Post by FletMy »

rimaxi wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:17 am

you should not reverse out your drive. You obviously do not understand the marking system for tests. You were in the wrong lane for what you did. Had people been there it would be marked as dangerous, with no one there it is marked as serious ieyouu got lucky no one was there. Everyone that could be around you knows from your position where you should be going. If you don't go there its a fault of significance. If it was not explained to you that going the right way from the wrong lane is a fail your trainer let you down. However it sounds like you just second guessed yourself and changed lanes because you were not sure . The best way to move on and pass is take ownership of the fault and not try to put blame on others. If it happens on your shift its your fault. Even if it's another vehicle that does it as you should be so good that you see its going wrong before it does and do something about it to fix others mistakes before they become an issue. I see this " it was not my fault" response after tests and if you don't change before the next one it does not end well. your not just driving for what is there but what could be there.
But he failed me for not looking before I moved over.. His exact words mate
rimaxi

Post by rimaxi »

FletMy wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:18 am

what box was the serious fault marked in?
FletMy

Post by FletMy »

rimaxi wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:18 am

Use of mirrors/Change of direction
rimaxi

Post by rimaxi »

FletMy wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:19 am
rimaxi wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:18 am

Use of mirrors/Change of direction
then without being there I can't say. I can say I have sat in a lot of test and watched people who at the end thought they did something that they had not, or they did it but it would be on no use in that situation ie a roundabout with a lot of turn on unable to see back of trailer so a small car / motorcycle could be next to you but you can't see it. But again I refer you to what I said above, if it goes wrong on your shift its your fault . Let's say you did do the check, did you make sure the examiner saw it? No? Well then it's your fault. There is more to passing the test than just handling the vehicle correctly. You also need to have the right head game on too. It's not good enough to do it you got to be seen to be doing it. Good luck on your next go but honestly loose the baggage as it will drag you down.
natlewe

Post by natlewe »

Make sure that you are turning your head so the examiner can see and you will be fine on the next one 👍🏻
croulcy

Post by croulcy »

natlewe wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:23 am Make sure that you are turning your head so the examiner can see and you will be fine on the next one 👍🏻
I was told that by my instructor. Accentuate your head movements drastically, so the examiner can see it. Don't just do a little glance with you eyes, he won't see that.
natlewe

Post by natlewe »

croulcy wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:28 am
natlewe wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:23 am Make sure that you are turning your head so the examiner can see and you will be fine on the next one 👍🏻
I was told that by my instructor. Accentuate your head movements drastically, so the examiner can see it. Don't just do a little glance with you eyes, he won't see that.
it was the same for me because I used to look with my eyes and not my head. My instructor told me to turn my head and I never had a problem after that
rimaxi

Post by rimaxi »

natlewe wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:29 am
croulcy wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:28 am
it was the same for me because I used to look with my eyes and not my head. My instructor told me to turn my head and I never had a problem after that
if you glance with the eyes in the N/S mirror you won't see anything.
cardev

Post by cardev »

I went for an assessment once & at the end the driver trainer failed me for not checking my screen wash. Fortunately for me it wasn’t a hot or rainy day so I walked him back to the original position of the truck and the floor was still wet where it had ran off the truck. I then also told him that it had screen wash in & not just water like they all usually are, he checked, apologised & offered me the job.
Needless to say, I didn’t accept & told him if he can’t be bothered doing his job properly and wants to be petty over some screen wash then i’m not interested.
cardev

Post by cardev »

Sometimes you just have to take it on the chin
soarlipt

Post by soarlipt »

Between my class 2 and class 1, I didn't pass till my 4th attempt. Keep grinding it dude.
Danilan

Post by Danilan »

Unfortunately I failed my class 1 Thursday - I took the left hand lane for the last exit as in the training I was told by the instructor that particular roundabout you won’t make it round in the right hand lane and that as there is 2 exit lanes it would be fine . Examiner obviously thought otherwise so next time if in doubt I’ll take it from the right hand lane and take a bit of the left and use both lanes then they should be able to see that you can’t do it from the right hand lane alone.
jootto

Post by jootto »

I failed my hgv the first time, the guy said I should have waited as you couldn't get a pack of cigarette papers in between the space of the cars I passed.
Felt hard done by but now with experience I wouldn't have made that manoeuvre, when you pass and get experience you will realise why he failed you.
Good luck on next test!
Trevvy

Post by Trevvy »

jootto wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:43 am I failed my hgv the first time, the guy said I should have waited as you couldn't get a pack of cigarette papers in between the space of the cars I passed.
Felt hard done by but now with experience I wouldn't have made that manoeuvre, when you pass and get experience you will realise why he failed you.
Good luck on next test!
Always ease but never squeeze.
Another saying I have is, Brakes are for slowing and Gears are for going.
karlex

Post by karlex »

Unfortunately they have to fail a certain %, you were unlucky
rimaxi

Post by rimaxi »

karlex wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:46 am Unfortunately they have to fail a certain %, you were unlucky
that BS there is no % that must pass or fail.
wardex

Post by wardex »

When I took my test I pulled over to let an ambulance with blues come past me. The examiner asked me why I pulled over and I had to tell him an ambulance was coming and I wanted to stop safely before a blind corner. He hadn’t even seen it but he was very impressed. My test was easy after that- I think he took it easy on me tbf. 😝
isaklon

Post by isaklon »

Happened to me a few times mate.....chin up and go for it again
langle

Post by langle »

I failed my first motorcycle test for exactly the same thing. Apparently it is better to leave the roundabout in the wrong lane and then indicate and pull in, than to switch while still on the roundabout. It's better to do the wrong thing safely and legally, than to try and correct yourself.
FletMy

Post by FletMy »

langle wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:59 am I failed my first motorcycle test for exactly the same thing. Apparently it is better to leave the roundabout in the wrong lane and then indicate and pull in, than to switch while still on the roundabout. It's better to do the wrong thing safely and legally, than to try and correct yourself.
The worst thing about it is that I was in the correct lane and failed while moving into a lane I didn’t need to move into 😂🤦🏼‍♂️
langle

Post by langle »

FletMy wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:00 am
langle wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:59 am I failed my first motorcycle test for exactly the same thing. Apparently it is better to leave the roundabout in the wrong lane and then indicate and pull in, than to switch while still on the roundabout. It's better to do the wrong thing safely and legally, than to try and correct yourself.
The worst thing about it is that I was in the correct lane and failed while moving into a lane I didn’t need to move into 😂🤦🏼‍♂️
Oops. Yeah I just full on messed up but in my defense, it was a big round about with about 3 or 4 lanes and it still catches loads of people out. Oh I see you're local so you'll probably know it, it was the big Tesco roundabout near Chesterfield
Daivab

Post by Daivab »

I failed first time by clipping a kerb at the very last corner, sickening
rimaxi

Post by rimaxi »

It was you fault. Either you were in the wrong lane or you thought you were and made a change. Both will present hazards to other drivers had there been any. If your in the wrong lane go the wrong way. Then you pass.
moodyz

Post by moodyz »

Over emphasise everything you do. Dont dwell on this take it and move on next time it wont happen.
keters

Post by keters »

I did this on my test but I went all the way round then came back to the exit passed
Alegard

Post by Alegard »

If you find yourself in the wrong lane again just commit to it, they can’t fail you for going the wrong way (unless it’s restricted)
brinno

Post by brinno »

I failed my first test.
Nerves and a daft mistake.
You will get the next one.
flavii

Post by flavii »

The examiner never is gonna tell you your mistake, just after the test! Unfortunately
Trevvy

Post by Trevvy »

Never mind always look on the bright side of life It's another day tomorrow.
evallig

Post by evallig »

I had 3 tests and 2 minor all together, one fail I had to stop for a old woman that come across a boxed junction at some lights the guy failed me before when the lights changed my nose was just inside a cycle lane box my trainer was not happy at all the examiner said if i had of hit the woman she would have been in the wrong for blokong and i would have got a resit 🤔 second fail the same bloke told me to take the first exit on a roundabout and said I didn't check my mirrors on the change of direction on the way up to the roundabout, my trainer went in all guns blazing and I got a free retest and about 2 weeks later the guy was sacked from the centre, I had been shunting for year and driving class 2 on the roads you will get it done, but I understand its very frustrating and expensive.
daslim

Post by daslim »

Always turn your head not just your eyes and let them see it 👍
Jurassu

Post by Jurassu »

daslim wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:27 am Always turn your head not just your eyes and let them see it 👍
great tip, I looked like I had a nervous twitch I’m sure constant neck turns
daslim

Post by daslim »

Jurassu wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:50 am
daslim wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:27 am Always turn your head not just your eyes and let them see it 👍
great tip, I looked like I had a nervous twitch I’m sure constant neck turns
I passed 50 odd years ago car and lorry and the instructor said ( in car ) turn your mirror so you have to turn your head and lift your body a bit to see in the mirror it worked for both 👍😂 or the examiner felt sorry for me 😂😂 you’re be OK just relax its not the end of the world not finding a swimming pool or pub on a night out is 😂😂

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”