Hello ladies and gents, I am considering becoming a HGV driver but before I begin my journey I have a few questions

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
burrel

Hello ladies and gents, I am considering becoming a HGV driver but before I begin my journey I have a few questions

Post by burrel »

Hello ladies and gents, I am considering becoming a HGV driver but before I begin my journey I have a few questions I would greatly appreciate answers to.
1, I am nearly 40, have I left it to late?
2, I live in Hampshire, what training company would you recommend I use?
3, I assume most agencies and companies only hire experienced drivers so how do I gain experience as a new driver?
4, what type of work do you recommend for a new driver? For example…tipper, multi drop etc.
I appreciate any feedback
Many thanks
WiGlitz

Re: Hello ladies and gents, I am considering becoming a HGV driver but before I begin my journey I have a few questions

Post by WiGlitz »

1. I’m 45 so not too late
2 can’t help I live no where near
3 no I got a start in a company but agencies are favourable for new starters
4 take anything to get experience and then once you have a year time to look around to see what suits you
burrel

Re: Hello ladies and gents, I am considering becoming a HGV driver but before I begin my journey I have a few questions

Post by burrel »

WiGlitz wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:19 pm 1. I’m 45 so not too late
2 can’t help I live no where near
3 no I got a start in a company but agencies are favourable for new starters
4 take anything to get experience and then once you have a year time to look around to see what suits you
Thanks buddy!!
gazmas

Post by gazmas »

I know a gent that decided to change career and get his licence at the age of 60, never too late bud 👍
obreyz

Post by obreyz »

Go direct to a training company. Don't go through a broker it will cost you at least an extra £300.00 pound. Good luck.
zamlabo

Post by zamlabo »

I'm 56 i did mine in July best thing ive done so far 👍
BrenDen

Post by BrenDen »

Age isn't an Issue, I don't know Hampshire so I couldn't recommend a local training provider. Agency is your best bet, they are more likely to take on fresh starts, you will initially be offered the jobs no-one else wants to do. Take them to build experience and find what kind of work you (dont) like and which companies you wouldn't want to work with. If and when you find one that suits, the company will most likely offer you a contract and take you temp to perm. One thing with agencies, if you keep saying no, they will stop calling you
franvan

Post by franvan »

I’d recommend 2start did my class 1 and 2 with them, great company to go through and a decent price
toexilia

Post by toexilia »

I’m 54 and have my class c booked for the 23rd November, never too late to do it 🙂
Chkyey

Post by Chkyey »

I'm in Surrey, so pretty much next door lol. Go to E.P Training mate. Best in the Area.
Oh and I'm 48 and literally just coming back to driving HGV after a good while away. I would suggest go through an agency and try a few different places and see what floats your boat. Give Richard at Driver Hire a call and have a chat, tell your situation and he will get you sorted. Tell him I sent you 😁😁
nossio

Post by nossio »

Passed my test at 42. Go for it
MirCheer

Post by MirCheer »

One of my mate pass his class 2 license at the age of 51
tandra

Post by tandra »

Don't know if it's of interest or not, but I've just started an apprenticeship with a company that trains you up and gives you loads of experience. Only trouble is that you will be tied in with the company for the entirety of the apprenticeship however you will not have to pay the upfront training costs and will get paid whilst your training. Bare in mind I'm not sure if you have any company's in your area that may do so. Might be worth a look 🙂
burrel

Post by burrel »

Wow what a great bunch you are. I was half expecting some hate lol thanks everyone.
Pemadd

Post by Pemadd »

Never too old
Just check the company you go with see there ratings and reviews
As for the work direct or agency there's so much variation try a few things see what you like then look for that kind of work best of luck
RsConn

Post by RsConn »

Never to old did both class 2 and 1 at 59 wished I’d done it at 29 😂 …… go for it. Try a range of work with agency or go to a local company and go for it ….. good luck
davico

Post by davico »

I'm 51 and have called it quits and stopped driving trucks altogether.
So no with the "driver shortage" so much in the public domain, go for it.
armtery

Post by armtery »

Go for it, as for gaining experience, agencies will take you on. Try night work trunking ie supermarkets. Get to feel the size of the truck.YOur be cool just always take your time and never ever rush ok...
pachell

Post by pachell »

I say go for it, once you have your licence have a look on
https://www.hubhq.co.uk/
karock

Post by karock »

Age discrimination is against the law mate, im 41 and passed mine yesterday, im fortunate to already have a job lined up, so good luck
Kevness

Post by Kevness »

50 and passed class 2 six weeks ago. Class 1 booked in for December
burrel

Post by burrel »

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate the feedback.👍

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”