Anyone done skips? Pros and cons please?

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
jorgin

Anyone done skips? Pros and cons please?

Post by jorgin »

Anyone done skips? Pros and cons please? I multi drop steel at the min on a flatbed with only sides at the front. Moneys pants and I don’t live in the town anymore so commute 40 miles a day. Been offered job at a skip company that’s 1.3 miles from my house so it’s a no brainer in that sense. Job satisfaction is pretty key
dunnda

Re: Anyone done skips? Pros and cons please?

Post by dunnda »

Hi Jorgin, I’ve been doing skips (first HGV job) since September 2020, redundant from my job as a coach driver.
Love the job m8, seen parts of Norfolk for the first time, evenings weekends & bank holidays off, go for it 👍
jorgin

Post by jorgin »

dunnda wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:57 am Hi Jorgin, I’ve been doing skips (first HGV job) since September 2020, redundant from my job as a coach driver.
Love the job m8, seen parts of Norfolk for the first time, evenings weekends & bank holidays off, go for it 👍
cheers pal. I don’t know if it’s household skips or bigger containers.
dunnda

Post by dunnda »

jorgin wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:58 am
dunnda wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:57 am Hi Jorgin, I’ve been doing skips (first HGV job) since September 2020, redundant from my job as a coach driver.
the company I work for does the lot, I just go up to 12yard (8 tone) with my class 2
jorgin

Post by jorgin »

dunnda wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:59 am
jorgin wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:58 am
the company I work for does the lot, I just go up to 12yard (8 tone) with my class 2
sounds good mate. I’ll ask them the question. I’m happy doing whatever as long as I’m doing something
plumbre

Post by plumbre »

Piece of piss go for it
lyonsto

Post by lyonsto »

I loved it! Was doing holiday cover so was only temp. I’d go back tomorrow if they had another wagon
Attachments
truck.jpg
truck.jpg (13.18 KiB) Viewed 502 times
johemp

Post by johemp »

Best thing I did came off trunking , to do skips. Just make sure you sheet properly..
SoleMnl

Post by SoleMnl »

Ive done it.
Depends on weather your dropping skips off at some ones house or if your doing businesses.
If your dropping them of at some one’s home expect to take thr truck into places where you wouldnt take a car and expect to drop said skip in all sorts of weird places. Depending on the firm also expect to carry a lot of cash as well.
Business skips tend to be easier to do.
jorgin

Post by jorgin »

SoleMnl wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:03 am Ive done it.
Depends on weather your dropping skips off at some ones house or if your doing businesses.
If your dropping them of at some one’s home expect to take thr truck into places where you wouldnt take a car and expect to drop said skip in all sorts of weird places. Depending on the firm also expect to carry a lot of cash as well.
Business skips tend to be easier to do.
doesn’t sound bad at all then mate. I have to do house calls now with steel anyway and had to get into some tight drives and properties. Not keen on carrying cash but I would. No idea if it’s house skips or commercial. Could even be tippers🤷‍♂️ I’ll ask the question. 18.6 miles closer and £2.50 per hour more 🙄
alansey

Post by alansey »

have you looked into what skips the company do? this should give you an idea on what to expect
jorgin

Post by jorgin »

alansey wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:05 am have you looked into what skips the company do? this should give you an idea on what to expect
they do all sorts. They’re a fairly big waste company. I’ll ask the question. Don’t think it really matters as I haven’t done any of them. Can’t be that difficult surely? 🤷‍♂️
SoleMnl

Post by SoleMnl »

Another bit of advice i can give you is if a skip is over the top leave it and go to the next pick up.
zenonie

Post by zenonie »

google the firm
Alexio

Post by Alexio »

Depends on the Money and how they run it. local firm to me was just offering £110 a day class2 , glad I Upgraded to CE instead. 45k a year a bit better than £550 a week.
somnex

Post by somnex »

Yea, I want to know about skips as well 🙄
buckenn

Post by buckenn »

Easy work I found it boring tho.

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”