Advice please. I’m looking at becoming an owner operator. I have got a place to keep the truck and I’ve looked

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
SteinPuff

Advice please. I’m looking at becoming an owner operator. I have got a place to keep the truck and I’ve looked

Post by SteinPuff »

Advice please.
I’m looking at becoming an owner operator. I have got a place to keep the truck and I’ve looked into the owner operator license. The only thing I need advice for is how to get work. Mad the pricing of the work. I’m not sure where to start really
KellyMan

Re: Advice please. I’m looking at becoming an owner operator. I have got a place to keep the truck and I’ve looked

Post by KellyMan »

Simply don’t do it. Its not worth the stress.
Marcindo

Re: Advice please. I’m looking at becoming an owner operator. I have got a place to keep the truck and I’ve looked

Post by Marcindo »

Loads will say don’t do it but I’m trying not to do that. Find your own work. Don't subby as the rate will be crap. Don’t get up to the eyes in finance so your not working every hour just to pay the finance company. Keep away from flash trucks and low rates. Plenty out there with V8s driving all week to pay finance and fuel. What ever money you think you need make sure you have double. I wish u all the best. Better to try it and wish u hadn’t than not do it and wish you had. Research research research. All the best.
SteinPuff

Post by SteinPuff »

Marcindo wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:24 pm Loads will say don’t do it but I’m trying not to do that. Find your own work. Don't subby as the rate will be crap. Don’t get up to the eyes in finance so your not working every hour just to pay the finance company. Keep away from flash trucks and low rates. Plenty out there with V8s driving all week to pay finance and fuel. What ever money you think you need make sure you have double. I wish u all the best. Better to try it and wish u hadn’t than not do it and wish you had. Research research research. All the best.
so I was thinking of like getting my own truck and doing like Amazon and Tesco work
Marcindo

Post by Marcindo »

SteinPuff wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:25 pm
Marcindo wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:24 pm Loads will say don’t do it but I’m trying not to do that. Find your own work. Don't subby as the rate will be crap. Don’t get up to the eyes in finance so your not working every hour just to pay the finance company. Keep away from flash trucks and low rates. Plenty out there with V8s driving all week to pay finance and fuel. What ever money you think you need make sure you have double. I wish u all the best. Better to try it and wish u hadn’t than not do it and wish you had. Research research research. All the best.
so I was thinking of like getting my own truck and doing like Amazon and Tesco work
I don’t know what rates are but what I read on here Amazon rates are below cost. Also I don’t think likes of Tesco will entertain owner operators they want big companies so if a truck breaks down they can have a replacement very quickly. But it’s just what I hear.
Pauhinos

Post by Pauhinos »

Marcindo wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:25 pm
I don’t know what rates are but what I read on here Amazon rates are below cost. Also I don’t think likes of Tesco will entertain owner operators they want big companies so if a truck breaks down they can have a replacement very quickly. But it’s just what I hear.
Amazon work is all sewn up, you only have to look at the amount of people on here looking for traction only work. These are the ones who fell for the Amazon dream and now realize it was a non paying nightmare.
Don’t even contemplate working for yourself unless you have some of your own work and you aren’t fully reliant on subcontract work.
You will need to be picking up the phone and ringing round picking up as much of your own work as possible, but remember if you’re picking up work then you’re taking it off someone else 😳
There’s never been a worse time to start up cos there is literally no spare work out there atm, the pre-Christmas rush never happened and January to March is always quiet so this time it will be really bad.
Wait till spring/summer and see how the economy is doing before you commit any of your hard-earned money to buying a truck
Josham

Post by Josham »

amazon is a non runner. The prices are beyond a joke there was a screenshot doing the rounds a while back they wanted Bristol-Sunderland for £311. I've been researching it myself for about 2 years now, and Marcindo is saying the same as a good friend of mine who's been at it a while. Don't buy a V8. keep finance as low as possible and don't be a busy fool. No point in running ragged all week to just make a few hundred quid. Better going PAYE with someone and getting guaranteed wage without any of the hassle...but do your sums properly and you can make a decent living out of it. Just not right now with a looming recession and the quietest xmas period I've known since being involved in the transport game. Good luck
prawkoDr

Post by prawkoDr »

so if you’re not getting finance, how are you buying a truck? Do you have 50K sat around? If you do keep it and invest it elsewhere. Secondly.. you say get your own work.. who’s giving a new starter some work with no network, no back up no plan B.. Nobody that’s who. The 1st 3 years of running a lorry is crap. And that’s if you make it to 12 months anyway.
Marcindo

Post by Marcindo »

prawkoDr wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:28 pm

so if you’re not getting finance, how are you buying a truck? Do you have 50K sat around? If you do keep it and invest it elsewhere. Secondly.. you say get your own work.. who’s giving a new starter some work with no network, no back up no plan B.. Nobody that’s who. The 1st 3 years of running a lorry is crap. And that’s if you make it to 12 months anyway.
I started in 2018 I bought a 8 year old Renault premium for £6000. Which yes I did have. I was going to pull a fridge for a friend. But I got asked by a farming friend to get him a load of straw which I did. I then got another load. I new have progressed to a Volvo fh4 doing 3 loads a week still with no finance. So if there is no work for a week or 2 then it doesn’t matter.
SteinPuff

Post by SteinPuff »

Marcindo wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:29 pm

I started in 2018 I bought a 8 year old Renault premium for £6000. Which yes I did have. I was going to pull a fridge for a friend. But I got asked by a farming friend to get him a load of straw which I did. I then got another load. I new have progressed to a Volvo fh4 doing 3 loads a week still with no finance. So if there is no work for a week or 2 then it doesn’t matter.
I was gonna buy a 14 plate merc for 13000
prawkoDr

Post by prawkoDr »

SteinPuff wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:30 pm

a pal bought a 12k premium.. the turbo and intercooler went and took the cat with it. Not long after the Vat man closed him down.
Marcindo

Post by Marcindo »

prawkoDr wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:30 pm

a pal bought a 12k premium.. the turbo and intercooler went and took the cat with it. Not long after the Vat man closed him down.
yes I admit buying cheap secondhand is a big gamble. But so is £70k finance with no guarantee of work
prawkoDr

Post by prawkoDr »

Marcindo wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:31 pm

yes I admit buying cheap secondhand is a big gamble. But so is £70k finance with no guarantee of work
they are easy enough to sell. And if your LTD and it’s goes belly up finance ain’t a issue.
Marcindo

Post by Marcindo »

prawkoDr wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:31 pm
Marcindo wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:31 pm

they are easy enough to sell. And if your LTD and it’s goes belly up finance ain’t a issue.
I paid £6k for mine from eBay. Run it a year to make sure the business was going to work and traded it in and got 6 for it. Lucky I run it a year and no costs other than general running costs.
Morganos

Post by Morganos »

There’s nothing better than driving around and sleeping in your own lorry. Your work ethic will probably determine where you end up. Like Marcindo said in a previous reply research loads and stay away from the flash trucks. Pm me if you want anymore info.
Great luck
Amyicon

Post by Amyicon »

Sit down do your all your maths, making sure you covered all costs in your workings… add on your profit that you want… and watch absolutely no one accept your quote…
Go get pissed and a normal job and enjoy Xmas lol
KeyMint

Post by KeyMint »

when you find the work let me know i started in 1984 goyt my own work and then somebody comes along and undercuts you. Usually you can fall back on containers but that is very quite. I have dropped from 8 to 1 and do a bit of my own work and try and get off the big hauliers. The big hauliers work so cheap unbelievable how they survive. But we all want a big shiny truck with our own name on so jump in their with both feet but don't expect to be financially better off than being a driver
Jayogue

Post by Jayogue »

Good idea in principle but now is not the time. There’s some good advice further up the thread. Please take heed of it.
KeyMint

Post by KeyMint »

All the lads saying dont do it. Obviously your doing it and not giving it up. Is this a plot to kill the competition before it starts. Or just advice.
When looking for work no one takes you seriously until you at least get your own motor. And even then with little no no feedback its hard to get in the door. If that itch needs scratching then scratch it. But do it the smart way. Either rent a truck or buy a cheap one. And prey for good reliability. Find yourself a good mechanic that dont cost you an arm and a leg. And possibly a decent tyre man that will fix punctures as to just change it. Be prepared for working 60 days with no income. But in order for you to keep going you must pay weekly.
For 1 truck to survive you will need £25k minimum for fuel wages parking. Tm etc.
There is work out there u just gotta find it !!
Carleyer67

Post by Carleyer67 »

Wait 6 month see if the rates recover from where they are currently. At the moment it's not worth doing and I wish I hadn't. Was great to start with and will be again, but currently it's a massive headache trying to keep in the black.
Asquitby

Post by Asquitby »

What is your business model?
Do you have a business plan?
What is your sale’s strategy?
What is your operating budget?
Robinsqu

Post by Robinsqu »

It's worth it. As long as you have a bit of money to back you up as a start. Go for a affordable vehicle and don't finance unless you desperate. When you in your own vehicle driving pass the employed who wish they had the balls to do it. it's a whole different ball game. No risk = No reward.
Nico4me

Post by Nico4me »

Do not commit to f**k all right now is my advice! I see many people saying it when I started up but I always saw them as grumpy old gits whinging and thought fuck them I’ll graft any work available and make my business work! Problem is, there is no work! I’ve got it all and one of the highest insurances @ 9000 per tonne and UK CMR @ £300,000 per load but there just isn’t any work around in the country! When it was good in 2020/2021 one man bands where getting more trucks more drivers to carry the loads, earn more money but now there is no work they have overheads of like 6 trucks and no work so they are all going bust! I have one truck that costs me £750 per week and I’ve earnt 1600 in the last three weeks you work it out!… it’s not good, let the recession pass then sign up for it! I wish I didn’t sign contracts when I did but too late now! N now I gotta do what I can to survive pay my bills at home and for truck on very little work! Even thinking of parking up and going back limited driver £1000 a week £750 on bills live off the rest just to ride the storm
Bluecorn

Post by Bluecorn »

Not for everyone, but for many there is a phrase. “If you want to make £10k from haulage, start off with £20k and you soon be at £10k”.
It’s an optimists business if you can do it

Return to “Haulage companies | Owner-drivers and fleet owners | General discussions”