Is it compulsory to carry out an RBT for an HGV 4 times a year, or is one done at MOT enough? I don't know if this

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
GaryRun

Is it compulsory to carry out an RBT for an HGV 4 times a year, or is one done at MOT enough? I don't know if this

Post by GaryRun »

Is it compulsory to carry out an RBT for an HGV 4 times a year, or is one done at MOT enough? I don't know if this is guidance or compulsory.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... est-report
Ceironex

Re: Is it compulsory to carry out an RBT for an HGV 4 times a year, or is one done at MOT enough? I don't know if this

Post by Ceironex »

RBT must be completed 4 times a year, which one can be the annual MOT.
Jamalis

Re: Is it compulsory to carry out an RBT for an HGV 4 times a year, or is one done at MOT enough? I don't know if this

Post by Jamalis »

The GTMR is a guide, but it's guidance that would be very unwise not to follow.
In the not too distant future, RBTs will be required at every safety inspection.
GaryRun

Post by GaryRun »

Jamalis wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:31 pm The GTMR is a guide, but it's guidance that would be very unwise not to follow.
In the not too distant future, RBTs will be required at every safety inspection.
thanks for the clarification.
Stepayer

Post by Stepayer »

DVSA Audits one of the top questions, loaded brake test reports.
Colganse

Post by Colganse »

They are not legally required but if you want to keep your o'licence then do a minimum of 3 plus mot, best practice is every PMI.
GaryRun

Post by GaryRun »

Colganse wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:33 pm They are not legally required but if you want to keep your o'licence then do a minimum of 3 plus mot, best practice is every PMI.
well, if it’s not required, then, either way, I’m sure I can keep the licence. If the DVSA can pay for the extra 3 I’m happy to do it.
Colganse

Post by Colganse »

GaryRun wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:33 pm
Colganse wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:33 pm They are not legally required but if you want to keep your o'licence then do a minimum of 3 plus mot, best practice is every PMI.
well, if it’s not required, then, either way, I’m sure I can keep the licence. If the DVSA can pay for the extra 3 I’m happy to do it.
terrifying theory, good luck, but I fear the worst.
Johnixtu

Post by Johnixtu »

not entirely sure that's a wise approach 🤔
Peachilla

Post by Peachilla »

Very unwise approach. If a anything happened that was caused by ineffective brakes you would have major problems.
Rickency

Post by Rickency »

We do rbts at every pmi regardless
Martinno

Post by Martinno »

Rickency wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:37 pm We do rbts at every pmi regardless
same for me mate, loaded RBT along with PMI makes things easier, no chance of it slipping through the net then.
Mariussi52

Post by Mariussi52 »

Same here
PinchBy

Post by PinchBy »

not so simple when you have a 25 mile trip to the test station plus hire the weight blocks. Makes a very expensive afternoon out.
Matthewei

Post by Matthewei »

Don’t forget loaded brake tests should be loaded with at least 65% of the total design axle weight. Guidance says aim for 65% but no less than 50% however DVSA do not consider the brake test meaningful if loaded less than 65%.
The 50% is for vehicles DVSA consider difficult to load for brake tests.

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”