So 5 weeks on from obtaining my Class 2 licence, I had a job interview today, and they let me run out for half hour

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Martinel

So 5 weeks on from obtaining my Class 2 licence, I had a job interview today, and they let me run out for half hour

Post by Martinel »

So 5 weeks on from obtaining my Class 2 licence, I had a job interview today, and they let me run out for half hour in this very cool DAF, which is near new and very... energetic? I think its an 480hp XF Artic tractor unit that's had the wheel base lengthened and had a box put on the back,
Anyway the first few minutes were exciting? Lol
Just touching the throttle this beast lurched forward taking me off guard, and we started bouncing, and we'll this started somewhat of a feedback loop being sat on a cushion of air and my foot bouncing on and off the throttle lol eventually I did find my footing so to speak and the rest of the drive went well.
Brand new truck is quite the difference from the old beat up trainers from the HGV schools.
Have anyone else had a similar situation? And what was your reaction and how did you remedy it?
Mikeer

Re: So 5 weeks on from obtaining my Class 2 licence, I had a job interview today, and they let me run out for half hour

Post by Mikeer »

Turn the bounce down on the seat helps
Martinel

Re: So 5 weeks on from obtaining my Class 2 licence, I had a job interview today, and they let me run out for half hour

Post by Martinel »

Mikeer wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:55 pm Turn the bounce down on the seat helps
didn't even know you could lol
Dannyon

Post by Dannyon »

That's dafs for you horrible handling bag of crap with a big silly cab that feels more like a boat.
Kevinso

Post by Kevinso »

Wait till you get a trailer on it. Won't be so energetic then 😆
Jonarie34

Post by Jonarie34 »

I learnt and drove trucks with drum brakes to start with. 1st time I drove a truck with disc brakes I nearly headbutted the windscreen
Romeodo

Post by Romeodo »

Jonarie34 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:59 pm I learnt and drove trucks with drum brakes to start with. 1st time I drove a truck with disc brakes I nearly headbutted the windscreen
yep I'm in an old scania 4 series with drums all round... I get the same thing when I take one of the 'new' ones out 😂
Jonarie34

Post by Jonarie34 »

Romeodo wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:02 pm
Jonarie34 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:59 pm I learnt and drove trucks with drum brakes to start with. 1st time I drove a truck with disc brakes I nearly headbutted the windscreen
yep I'm in an old scania 4 series with drums all round... I get the same thing when I take one of the 'new' ones out 😂
I’ve had to take a drum braked scania out today. Nearly 💩 myself coming up to the first roundabout outside the yard! 😳😂
Romeodo

Post by Romeodo »

Jonarie34 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:03 pm
I’ve had to take a drum braked scania out today. Nearly 💩 myself coming up to the first roundabout outside the yard! 😳😂
yeah it's not a nice progressive pedal like discs, more like “nothing, nothing, nothing, woah there we go" 😂
Jonarie34

Post by Jonarie34 »

Romeodo wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:03 pm

yeah it's not a nice progressive pedal like discs, more like “nothing, nothing, nothing, woah there we go" 😂
yep and by that time your arse is off the seat cause you trying to push the pedal thro the floor! 😂😂
Martinel

Post by Martinel »

Jonarie34 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:04 pm
Romeodo wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:03 pm

yep and by that time your arse is off the seat cause you trying to push the pedal thro the floor! 😂😂
I'm sure I had a dream like this before... 🤔
Damientu

Post by Damientu »

Reminds me of that first day behind the wheel of a car as a learner. Clutch control was a mystery yet to be understood. 🤣
Markingo

Post by Markingo »

Your wasted in this industry! You should be writing a book (lots of different shades of)"the beast lurched forward".
Well done glad you had a good assessment drive.
Wattered

Post by Wattered »

Yep, the story reminds me of a story I heard.
it, stopped with a jerk, the jerk got out and I got in
Merconin

Post by Merconin »

Had this on my first day on my lesson in a DAF then they changed me into a Merc just as I got use to the throttle 🤣🤣 going up a bumpy hill like a numbly my instructor was laughing he’s nuts off and said everyone does that up this hill 🤣
Paummer

Post by Paummer »

Perhaps try resting your foot on the floor and rolling it onto the throttle, works if you have big feet, don’t know about those with smaller feet. Also make sure you can still hit the brake pedal if required 😇😇
Chrisud

Post by Chrisud »

I had this when i was at training school and i lowered the seat prob solved
JoGlitz

Post by JoGlitz »

Just stiffen the seat so u dont bounce!! Plus u wont fk ur knees or hips!!

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”