Well test day is tomorrow, passed my reversing and coupling yesterday all fine. Had a mock test today with

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
DuncanA1

Well test day is tomorrow, passed my reversing and coupling yesterday all fine. Had a mock test today with

Post by DuncanA1 »

Well test day is tomorrow, passed my reversing and coupling yesterday all fine.
Had a mock test today with a different trainer and my feelings of getting to grips with it have just taken a bit of a knock tbh. Came up to a mini roundabout and a car was coming from straight ahead..bit of a way off so I carried on over the roundabout. As the cab of the truck was clear of the roundabout the car driver decided to indicate right at the last minute and turn..failed a mock test because I caused him to slow down?? Not sure how that works as he was a fair distance off when I was on the roundabout. Is this a bit harsh?
So end result is I feel a little bit crap as it’s been going well all week..there’s nothing worse than thinking you’re doing ok only to be told ah actually you’re not. 🤔
Guess we will find out in the test!
Jadentin

Re: Well test day is tomorrow, passed my reversing and coupling yesterday all fine. Had a mock test today with

Post by Jadentin »

Dont let it get too you mate i failed a practice mock last Thursday but passed the next day ul do it mate slow an steady wins the race goodluck 👌🏻
DuncanA1

Re: Well test day is tomorrow, passed my reversing and coupling yesterday all fine. Had a mock test today with

Post by DuncanA1 »

Jadentin wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:09 pm Dont let it get too you mate i failed a practice mock last Thursday but passed the next day ul do it mate slow an steady wins the race goodluck 👌🏻
thanks mate, yeah it’s a bugger when you think you’re doing ok and get a slap. It just feels like there are so many things you can fail on..almost like they are looking to fail you and not the other way round
Jadentin

Post by Jadentin »

DuncanA1 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:09 pm
Jadentin wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:09 pm Dont let it get too you mate i failed a practice mock last Thursday but passed the next day ul do it mate slow an steady wins the race goodluck 👌🏻
thanks mate, yeah it’s a bugger when you think you’re doing ok and get a slap. It just feels like there are so many things you can fail on..almost like they are looking to fail you and not the other way round
yeah mate my fail on the practice was for similar i was half way round an a car come speeding an had too slow down so on the test i just waited an got a minor for it but ul smash it mate 💪🏻
Dorrecni50

Post by Dorrecni50 »

Bit harsh as in reality you pretty much always slow cars down on roundabouts.
TrevorGo

Post by TrevorGo »

Take no notice as he was far off and u cant anticipate nobhead car frivers today m8 so crack on
Adyanxi81

Post by Adyanxi81 »

Thing is though, doesn’t the Highway Code state that if you’re on the roundabout you have priority 🤷🏻‍♂️
DuncanA1

Post by DuncanA1 »

Adyanxi81 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:13 pm Thing is though, doesn’t the Highway Code state that if you’re on the roundabout you have priority 🤷🏻‍♂️
he had no indication all the way up to the roundabout ..when the cab of the lorry was in the opposite junction I was pulling off into obviously the trailer was still on the roundabout. He indicated as his nose was over the line and I spotted it in between my mirror and my door glass. So yeah pretty late!
Adyanxi81

Post by Adyanxi81 »

DuncanA1 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:14 pm
Adyanxi81 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:13 pm Thing is though, doesn’t the Highway Code state that if you’re on the roundabout you have priority 🤷🏻‍♂️
he had no indication all the way up to the roundabout ..when the cab of the lorry was in the opposite junction I was pulling off into obviously the trailer was still on the roundabout. He indicated as his nose was over the line and I spotted it in between my mirror and my door glass. So yeah pretty late!
It’s just not fair stuff like that, people pass their tests and then forget about the stick either side of the steering wheel, don’t let it get your head down mate, you’ll be fine tomorrow 💪🏻
NickMic

Post by NickMic »

Had exactly the same on a mock test! Fortunately the real one went well, the good thing is though it taught me what to look out for when it came to the real test.
DuncanA1

Post by DuncanA1 »

NickMic wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:15 pm Had exactly the same on a mock test! Fortunately the real one went well, the good thing is though it taught me what to look out for when it came to the real test.
yeah o kind of see what they mean but if I had sat there and waited for him “in case” he wanted to turn right I’d have been marked down for hesitation…feel like I can’t win
NickMic

Post by NickMic »

DuncanA1 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:16 pm
NickMic wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:15 pm Had exactly the same on a mock test! Fortunately the real one went well, the good thing is though it taught me what to look out for when it came to the real test.
yeah o kind of see what they mean but if I had sat there and waited for him “in case” he wanted to turn right I’d have been marked down for hesitation…feel like I can’t win
thats exactly what it feels like, I completely agree, not cautious enough = FAIL, too cautious = FAIL. Best of luck though buddy. 👍
DuncanA1

Post by DuncanA1 »

NickMic wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:16 pm
thats exactly what it feels like, I completely agree, not cautious enough = FAIL, too cautious = FAIL. Best of luck though buddy. 👍
can honestly say this week has been really draining. I am 100% knackered 😞 anyone thinking this is an easy ticket is definitely in for a shock
Petflex

Post by Petflex »

can honestly say this week has been really draining. I am 100% knackered 😞 anyone thinking this is an easy ticket is definitely in for a shock
act on what you see Dun… was the car slowing on approach ? Just anticipate what they ‘May’ do.. if the car wasn’t indicating when you entered the roundabout.. and if what you say is correct and the cab was exiting the roundabout the examiner will see it for what it is.. and I’ll be honest and he probably wouldn’t mark anything down… your instructor ‘May’ have been hard on you… I’ve been doing it 22years and came across the same situation numerous times..
Petflex

Post by Petflex »

don’t over think things… I’d have done exactly what you did… like I said you can only act on what you see.. good luck for your test👍
DuncanA1

Post by DuncanA1 »

Petflex wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:18 pm

act on what you see Dun… was the car slowing on approach ? Just anticipate what they ‘May’ do.. if the car wasn’t indicating when you entered the roundabout.. and if what you say is correct and the cab was exiting the roundabout the examiner will see it for what it is.. and I’ll be honest and he probably wouldn’t mark anything down… your instructor ‘May’ have been hard on you… I’ve been doing it 22years and came across the same situation numerous times..
so here’s a good un you see the three blockers..but also think I’ll hang on in case one of them changes their mind..you lose your three blockers and you’re back to square one..noodle officially baked
DuncanA1

Post by DuncanA1 »

don’t over think things… I’d have done exactly what you did… like I said you can only act on what you see.. good luck for your test👍
thanks mate I’ll be bloody glad when all of this is over!
Petflex

Post by Petflex »

DuncanA1 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:19 pm

so here’s a good un you see the three blockers..but also think I’ll hang on in case one of them changes their mind..you lose your three blockers and you’re back to square one..noodle officially baked
here’s an example I had on a test… we have a mini roundabout, on the approach you go left (just to Asda) or turn right… my guy turning right, car come off Asda (from the left) with right signal on, my guy goes as he’s now a blocker from the right… what’s he do, does a U turn back into Asda.. my guy caused guy to slow down and nearly stop…
Examiner said to me I didn’t fail him as I would have done the same…
DuncanA1

Post by DuncanA1 »

Petflex wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:19 pm
DuncanA1 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:19 pm

here’s an example I had on a test… we have a mini roundabout, on the approach you go left (just to Asda) or turn right… my guy turning right, car come off Asda (from the left) with right signal on, my guy goes as he’s now a blocker from the right… what’s he do, does a U turn back into Asda.. my guy caused guy to slow down and nearly stop…
Examiner said to me I didn’t fail him as I would have done the same…
yeah good example mate. I am hoping the guy today was just being over critical in order to make me super aware of the potential before test day tomorrow, but in a way what it’s done is just kick me in the nuts a bit
Michaellin

Post by Michaellin »

It sounds a bit harsh to me, but unfortunately not impossible. Take your time, slow and steady and remember, a hesitation is only a minor and better than a fail, if you're unsure, take the minor.
DuncanA1

Post by DuncanA1 »

Michaellin wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:20 pm It sounds a bit harsh to me, but unfortunately not impossible. Take your time, slow and steady and remember, a hesitation is only a minor and better than a fail, if you're unsure, take the minor.
good advice thanks Mate
Ronnient

Post by Ronnient »

Get used to it mate plenty pricks speed up an dont indicate good luck
DuncanA1

Post by DuncanA1 »

Ronnient wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:23 pm Get used to it mate plenty pricks speed up an dont indicate good luck
yeah I see it all the time at work, I guess it means something different when you’re being tested and you can’t predict the future. A pain but hey ho
Ronnient

Post by Ronnient »

DuncanA1 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:23 pm
Ronnient wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:23 pm Get used to it mate plenty pricks speed up an dont indicate good luck
yeah I see it all the time at work, I guess it means something different when you’re being tested and you can’t predict the future. A pain but hey ho
i being driving class one 30 years mate standard is worse now
SedMaxi

Post by SedMaxi »

Good luck buddy take your time and check those mirrors
Powergy70

Post by Powergy70 »

Good luck bud, take your time and relax,
Neiiradef

Post by Neiiradef »

If you were already on the roundabout when the other vehicle reached it, you had the right of way 🤷‍♂️
DuncanA1

Post by DuncanA1 »

Neiiradef wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:25 pm If you were already on the roundabout when the other vehicle reached it, you had the right of way 🤷‍♂️
yep front of tractor unit was over the exit lines of opposite junction..trailer left on the roundabout
Neiiradef

Post by Neiiradef »

DuncanA1 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:25 pm
Neiiradef wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:25 pm If you were already on the roundabout when the other vehicle reached it, you had the right of way 🤷‍♂️
yep front of tractor unit was over the exit lines of opposite junction..trailer left on the roundabout
And your mock examiner said you would have failed due to this!!! What a clown
DuncanA1

Post by DuncanA1 »

Neiiradef wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:25 pm
yep afraid so.
Neiiradef

Post by Neiiradef »

DuncanA1 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:26 pm
Neiiradef wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:25 pm

yep afraid so.
If you had waited he would have failed you for being too hesitant 🤦‍♂️
Harvent

Post by Harvent »

had the same thing happen to me
Alexacia

Post by Alexacia »

I imagine the instructor was being harsher on you to sharpen you up for your real test.
Christole

Post by Christole »

When I took my tests, both class 2 and class 1,four wks apart
In my head I told myself, break the test down into sections, follow the instructions, don't get too far ahead of yourself and in situations like that, roundabout ahead, slowly slowly, prepare to stop, always, slowing down shows forward planning, but don't hesitate too much mate, be confident in the actions you take on the road, mirror, mirror, mirror, always move your head, show the examiner you're constantly on those mirrors
Take your time, chin up and get that test sorted
You'll be fine mate 👍🏼
RobWonder

Post by RobWonder »

In class 2 my instructor's main words were "I wouldn't have gone, I would have waited".
End result on test - 3 minors for hesitation 🤷‍♀️
Don't let one comment like that to play in your head and f@#k everything up because you'll start to overthink it!

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”