Easy question, I'm interested to know your views. Curtainsider tramping or transporter (flour etc.) tramping (non

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Kasimaxis

Easy question, I'm interested to know your views. Curtainsider tramping or transporter (flour etc.) tramping (non

Post by Kasimaxis »

Easy question, I'm interested to know your views.
Curtainsider tramping or transporter (flour etc.) tramping (non ADR) which is the preferred?
Dark2cool

Re: Easy question, I'm interested to know your views. Curtainsider tramping or transporter (flour etc.) tramping (non

Post by Dark2cool »

Johnicap wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:01 pm Even easier is containers.
apart from not knowing if your loads secure, not that I'm that experienced with containers.
Johnicap

Re: Easy question, I'm interested to know your views. Curtainsider tramping or transporter (flour etc.) tramping (non

Post by Johnicap »

Dark2cool wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:02 pm
apart from not knowing if your loads secure, not that I'm that experienced with containers.
I deliver whisky. They make sure it's secure.
Dark2cool

Post by Dark2cool »

Johnicap wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:02 pm
Dark2cool wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:02 pm
I deliver whisky. They make sure it's secure.
good point. 👍
Kierance

Post by Kierance »

the waiting game on containers could bore you to death
Johnicap

Post by Johnicap »

Kierance wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:03 pm
the waiting game on containers could bore you to death
true,. There is a lot of hanging about
Paulinte

Post by Paulinte »

i drove containers a few times, I didn’t feel safe pulling them knowing four tiny corners hold 26 tons, never had a problem just didn’t like it
TrevorGo

Post by TrevorGo »

Don’t do transporters it’s a nightmare also you live in a area smaller than you would keep a dog
Bryance

Post by Bryance »

TrevorGo wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:04 pm Don’t do transporters it’s a nightmare also you live in a area smaller than you would keep a dog
agree did transporters for 4 years back in the early 2000s that extra car is more important than you!
Jourdel

Post by Jourdel »

Bryance wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:05 pm
TrevorGo wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:04 pm Don’t do transporters it’s a nightmare also you live in a area smaller than you would keep a dog
agree did transporters for 4 years back in the early 2000s that extra car is more important than you!
is it good money?
TrevorGo

Post by TrevorGo »

Jourdel wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:05 pm
Bryance wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:05 pm
is it good money?
i done it for 12 months last year took home around £730 a week I get more on curtains than I did that
PauWay

Post by PauWay »

small cabs are awful 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Attachments
Picture.jpg
Picture.jpg (265.29 KiB) Viewed 337 times
Stephell44

Post by Stephell44 »

I use double deck curtains and wedge trailers. Will.not go tramping do to having 3 young kids under 7 years of age
Levibenz

Post by Levibenz »

Curveball…fridge work. Easiest thing in the damn world 👌🏻
I’ve done tramping doing biomass that can be a bit stinky 😂🥵
Luptoney

Post by Luptoney »

Flat bed, very hard to nick 25 tons of steel beams! 😂😂😂
McMarson

Post by McMarson »

Attachments
Picture.jpg
Picture.jpg (140.19 KiB) Viewed 330 times
Rennie85

Post by Rennie85 »

Trunking
Or
Doubleman easy drive to depot get unloaded drive back again loaded
Simple
Kasimaxis

Post by Kasimaxis »

Rennie85 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:11 pm Trunking
Or
Doubleman easy drive to depot get unloaded drive back again loaded
Simple
not part of the question tho 👀
Davidoc

Post by Davidoc »

For me it's transporters, you have to think rather than dragging a curtain up and down the road but each to their own. Everyone is different
CleaverXmc

Post by CleaverXmc »

I used to pull curtains a lot. Can be hard work, can be easy depends what the cargo is.
Less than a ton of polystyrene boxes for example was a doddle for a couple of years, the unit loved it too 😎😎😎
Hollancy

Post by Hollancy »

Depends on what appeals to you or not. For me trunking doesn't appeal to me. I prefer to be more hands on with my load and i like meeting people which i get to do with pallet work. I do everything from residential deliveries to bay deliveries in my 18t rigid curtainsider. I love it. Dont get me wrong you do get shitty deliveries and customers expecting you to drop off a 1t pallet with a pump truck on mush down an access road you can barely get a car down. But its swings and roundabouts you get good days and bad days but overall im happy in my rigid. Infact its put me right off doing my class 1 cause the places i have to deliver and squeeze my lorry through i get told they send the artics there 😬 learn to say No or buckle up buttercup 🤣
CleaverXmc

Post by CleaverXmc »

Hollancy wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:13 pm Depends on what appeals to you or not. For me trunking doesn't appeal to me. I prefer to be more hands on with my load and i like meeting people which i get to do with pallet work. I do everything from residential deliveries to bay deliveries in my 18t rigid curtainsider. I love it. Dont get me wrong you do get shitty deliveries and customers expecting you to drop off a 1t pallet with a pump truck on mush down an access road you can barely get a car down. But its swings and roundabouts you get good days and bad days but overall im happy in my rigid. Infact its put me right off doing my class 1 cause the places i have to deliver and squeeze my lorry through i get told they send the artics there 😬 learn to say No or buckle up buttercup 🤣
I remember some of those deliveries, I dotted a delivery of 4 pallets on one woman’s gravel drive, she was delighted, the driver sent the previous day couldn’t get his lorry in the drive even, chewed the grass verge both sides of the road trying!
Hollancy

Post by Hollancy »

CleaverXmc wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:14 pm
Hollancy wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:13 pm Depends on what appeals to you or not. For me trunking doesn't appeal to me. I prefer to be more hands on with my load and i like meeting people which i get to do with pallet work. I do everything from residential deliveries to bay deliveries in my 18t rigid curtainsider. I love it. Dont get me wrong you do get shitty deliveries and customers expecting you to drop off a 1t pallet with a pump truck on mush down an access road you can barely get a car down. But its swings and roundabouts you get good days and bad days but overall im happy in my rigid. Infact its put me right off doing my class 1 cause the places i have to deliver and squeeze my lorry through i get told they send the artics there 😬 learn to say No or buckle up buttercup 🤣
I remember some of those deliveries, I dotted a delivery of 4 pallets on one woman’s gravel drive, she was delighted, the driver sent the previous day couldn’t get his lorry in the drive even, chewed the grass verge both sides of the road trying!
tell me about it. I hate delivering bags of aggregate! Its always on 'farms' which are mostly peoples houses with tiny access roads and overhanging trees! Then as you say the gravel or muddy driveways they want it putting on! If its like that i wont even attempt it unless they have some wood sheets handy 🙈🤣
CleaverXmc

Post by CleaverXmc »

Hollancy wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:14 pm
CleaverXmc wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:14 pm
tell me about it. I hate delivering bags of aggregate! Its always on 'farms' which are mostly peoples houses with tiny access roads and overhanging trees! Then as you say the gravel or muddy driveways they want it putting on! If its like that i wont even attempt it unless they have some wood sheets handy 🙈🤣
i told her square, the pallets would be staying where they landed off the tail lift I didn’t have a HIAB, she just said that will be great. Yes aggregates at a ton each. I got the wheels off the tail lift and rolled the truck forward a little, repeated the exercise 😇😇😇
BellNeo

Post by BellNeo »

Curtainsiders can be hard work in bed weather.

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”