Without sounding funny, but no doubt it is When I started driving there was no internet, straps, sat nav or can I

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Hadjicos

Without sounding funny, but no doubt it is When I started driving there was no internet, straps, sat nav or can I

Post by Hadjicos »

Without sounding funny, but no doubt it is
When I started driving there was no internet, straps, sat nav or can I ask my auntie.
It’s seems to me the present generation of new drivers should realise, it’s a problem that by figuring out by yourself, will make you stronger
Just a thought
Mikeyers

Re: Without sounding funny, but no doubt it is When I started driving there was no internet, straps, sat nav or can I

Post by Mikeyers »

Times change. Technology evolves, we're not living in the stone ages anymore. Sat navs are a must for any driver now. Regardless if you've been driving 80 years. Also there is absolutely no shame in asking if you can't figure something out. That's what pages like this are designed for 👍👍
Hadjicos

Re: Without sounding funny, but no doubt it is When I started driving there was no internet, straps, sat nav or can I

Post by Hadjicos »

Mikeyers wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:09 pm Times change. Technology evolves, we're not living in the stone ages anymore. Sat navs are a must for any driver now. Regardless if you've been driving 80 years. Also there is absolutely no shame in asking if you can't figure something out. That's what pages like this are designed for 👍👍
I must say I’m looking good for a 80 year old😂
But I see what your saying
However I learned by my mistakes , and this lot rely on advice before hand
When I started the biggest concern I had was…
What gear box will it be tomorrow?
SandyJo

Post by SandyJo »

A got shown how to do things by the old drivers when a started 23 years ago, phone them at any time day or night if I needed advice or directions
Hadjicos

Post by Hadjicos »

SandyJo wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:10 pm A got shown how to do things by the old drivers when a started 23 years ago, phone them at any time day or night if I needed advice or directions
I started in 93 and I learned which is lowest bridge on m62 by having bales wrong way round on second trip
After I destroyed a petrol station canopy on first
SandyJo

Post by SandyJo »

Hadjicos wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:10 pm
SandyJo wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:10 pm A got shown how to do things by the old drivers when a started 23 years ago, phone them at any time day or night if I needed advice or directions
I started in 93 and I learned which is lowest bridge on m62 by having bales wrong way round on second trip
yep, ave clipped the canopy before, just after they fixed it from the last person who hit it,
Hadjicos

Post by Hadjicos »

SandyJo wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:11 pm
yep, ave clipped the canopy before, just after they fixed it from the last person who hit it,
I left fully armed with directions, and a small bale in passenger seat😂
SandyJo

Post by SandyJo »

Hadjicos wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:11 pm

if u don't ask questions u'll never find things out, don't be scared to ask for advice or to be shown how to do something that's how we all learned
Hadjicos

Post by Hadjicos »

if u don't ask questions u'll never find things out, don't be scared to ask for advice or to be shown how to do something that's how we all learned
Correct, I scavenged advise
SandyJo

Post by SandyJo »

Hadjicos wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:12 pm

I still ask questions after 23 years, everyday can be a school day
Hadjicos

Post by Hadjicos »

SandyJo wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:12 pm

so do I
I asked the bloke infront of me tonight about parking here.
But big but seems like too dependent on asking advice
Is point, especially on here
SandyJo

Post by SandyJo »

Hadjicos wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:13 pm

so do I
some experienced drivers seem to forget they were new to the job once
Hadjicos

Post by Hadjicos »

SandyJo wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:13 pm
Hadjicos wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:13 pm

so do I
some experienced drivers seem to forget they were new to the job once
I never forget, felt like an imposter for years
The point I’m making is it seems like they’re asking wipe my arse questions
Edwargo

Post by Edwargo »

When you took a tacho disk out, or filled in your time sheet book, did you send a copy to the ministry every day for them to scrutinize and fine you if they found anything?
Neiser

Post by Neiser »

I agree & disagree.
Argument 1) If the technology is there, why not use it.
Argument 2) if you use satnav, your brain is pretty much on auto-pilot and you don't think about the route as much, meaning you don't learn the roads.
Lots of Pro's & cons around satnav.
FooteNip

Post by FooteNip »

Neiser wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:15 pm I agree & disagree.
Argument 2) if you use satnav, your brain is pretty much on auto-pilot and you don't think about the route as much, meaning you don't learn the roads.
I mean once I use a sat nav to get somewhere a few times I tend to learn the route without it
Neiser

Post by Neiser »

FooteNip wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:17 pm
I mean once I use a sat nav to get somewhere a few times I tend to learn the route without it
yeah anyone would but its more about if you're going to a different location close to somewhere you've been before, you generally tend to remember better where certain landmarks are, whether it's a McDonald's, Premier Inn or even a random statue and where the roads around there go.
I'm not saying don't use satnav because I use one every day even though I'm a trunk driver on the same route every shift, although I only use mine in case of major delays on the road ahead.
I personally do think that it's better to use one, but stand by my comment about not learning the roads the same.
Kadolaz

Post by Kadolaz »

Neiser wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:17 pm
yeah anyone would but its more about if you're going to a different location close to somewhere you've been before, you generally tend to remember better where certain landmarks are, whether it's a McDonald's, Premier Inn or even a random statue and where the roads around there go.
I'm not saying don't use satnav because I use one every day even though I'm a trunk driver on the same route every shift, although I only use mine in case of major delays on the road ahead.
I personally do think that it's better to use one, but stand by my comment about not learning the roads the same.
I was about to say the same thing after doing a route a few times with a sat nav I can do it without easily
FooteNip

Post by FooteNip »

Kadolaz wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:22 pm
Neiser wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:17 pm

I was about to say the same thing after doing a route a few times with a sat nav I can do it without easily
I absolutely agree with you
Ryannield

Post by Ryannield »

As a new driver, I get exactly what you are saying. But on the same score, I bet years ago when you first started out you'd love the information that is so easily gained now days.
You would pick a satnav over having to fight with a AtoZ bigger than your dash.
I frequently ask questions, both in person and also on the internet so that I gain as much information regarding a topic as I could.
Hadjicos

Post by Hadjicos »

Ryannield wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:25 pm As a new driver, I get exactly what you are saying. But on the same score, I bet years ago when you first started out you'd love the information that is so easily gained now days.
I frequently ask questions, both in person and also on the internet so that I gain as much information regarding a topic as I could.
you have a point, I would of loved it
However I think it’s tipped a bit to much in favour of technology
Ryannield

Post by Ryannield »

Hadjicos wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:25 pm
Ryannield wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:25 pm As a new driver, I get exactly what you are saying. But on the same score, I bet years ago when you first started out you'd love the information that is so easily gained now days.
I totally agree, but the whole world has tipped, not just the industry.
I have to admit, there are times where I wish I'd lived back in the days of AtoZ and getting directions from the fella that seems to have a map for a brain 🤣
Hadjicos

Post by Hadjicos »

Ryannield wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:25 pm
I have to admit, there are times where I wish I'd lived back in the days of AtoZ and getting directions from the fella that seems to have a map for a brain 🤣
I used to be able to go into a services pick up an A to Z and see
Right I know that junction then it’s 1rst left second right etc
Hadjicos

Post by Hadjicos »

Ryannield wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:25 pm
correct but it seems to reliant on it
Davellow

Post by Davellow »

I don’t miss trying to navigate around London using an A to Z
Stupinfo

Post by Stupinfo »

Why? We live in a internet age so why waste time on getting a map out etc. it makes no sense, it’s more time consuming to read maps and not use internet and by not embracing new tech it’s not like you will get anywhere faster or benefit from living in the 80s again, you will just slow yourself down
Duttonix

Post by Duttonix »

Stupinfo wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:29 pm Why? We live in a internet age so why waste time on getting a map out etc. it makes no sense, it’s more time consuming to read maps and not use internet and by not embracing new tech it’s not like you will get anywhere faster or benefit from living in the 80s again, you will just slow yourself down
but although I agree with you, sometimes technology let's us down so it's not a bad idea to learn routes off by heart, before I retired if I went anywhere new, especially in Europe I would use my Satnav, but I would like also try an memorize landmarks, so I was reliant on my Satnav.
PPatrick

Post by PPatrick »

Independent thinking and problem solving does seem to be lacking in SOME (not all) of the newer drivers, but as others have said, technology has got a lot better and it's easier for people to ask questions to solve their problems so why not use it to your advantage? That isn't a bad thing, it's when people rely solely on technology that is bad.
But saying that, you wouldn't be able to sit there and whine to hundreds/thousands of people all at one time without the internet and these technological advances 👍🏻
Hadjicos

Post by Hadjicos »

PPatrick wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:31 pm Independent thinking and problem solving does seem to be lacking in SOME (not all) of the newer drivers, but as others have said, technology has got a lot better and it's easier for people to ask questions to solve their problems so why not use it to your advantage? That isn't a bad thing, it's when people rely solely on technology that is bad.
But saying that, you wouldn't be able to sit there and whine to hundreds/thousands of people all at one time without the internet and these technological advances 👍🏻
first paragraph spot on
2nd not too sure
Jakeffin

Post by Jakeffin »

I can honestly say my sat nav it crap nd cheap nd always directs me a mile down the road but it makes the day interesting
Hadjicos

Post by Hadjicos »

Jakeffin wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:31 pm I can honestly say my sat nav it crap nd cheap nd always directs me a mile down the road but it makes the day interesting
I moved to Spain in a one way van, once and Missus said it’s only a thumb away, the drop of point … 500 kilometers
Jakeffin

Post by Jakeffin »

Hadjicos wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:32 pm
Jakeffin wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:31 pm I can honestly say my sat nav it crap nd cheap nd always directs me a mile down the road but it makes the day interesting
I moved to Spain in a one way van, once and Missus said it’s only a thumb away, the drop of point … 500 kilometers
ouch that's bad army taught me how to properly read a map
Hadjicos

Post by Hadjicos »

Jakeffin wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:32 pm
that’s why I bought the 2.99 roadchef map not the “low bridge truckers map”
Jakeffin

Post by Jakeffin »

Hadjicos wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:33 pm

i thought ya just followed an Eddie stobart lorry to find the lowest bridges
Hadjicos

Post by Hadjicos »

Jakeffin wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:33 pm

I never swore… No need for that sort of language
Jakeffin

Post by Jakeffin »

Hadjicos wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:34 pm
Jakeffin wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:33 pm

I never swore… No need for that sort of language
the joys of trucking the things we see nd hear lol
Timorm

Post by Timorm »

They’ll say it increases efficiency.
Cochrano

Post by Cochrano »

Looking at a map from time to time does no harm. Using a prat nav seems to send you all ways that you didn’t really want to go. I love trying to baffle it as the way I know is better. All I get is “RE CALCULATING” !! 😁😂👍
JoshDj

Post by JoshDj »

No straps, how f*****g old are you?
Hadjicos

Post by Hadjicos »

JoshDj wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:36 pm No straps, how f*****g old are you?
I’m not 80
I past at 23 and now 53, rope n sheeting was. Rule of day
Every day
JoshDj

Post by JoshDj »

Hadjicos wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:36 pm
JoshDj wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:36 pm No straps, how f*****g old are you?
I’m not 80
I past at 23 and now 53, rope n sheeting was. Rule of day
Every day
you're a year younger man me, I've been using straps since 86.
Vavicom

Post by Vavicom »

You would have done of three things.
-Asked somebody.
-Guessed and got lucky.
-Guessed and got it wrong.
If there is a platform that allows a new driver to not have to guess and learn from somebody else's mistakes, surely they'd be foolish not to utilize it?
Hadjicos

Post by Hadjicos »

Vavicom wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:37 pm You would have done of three things.
-Asked somebody.
-Guessed and got lucky.
If there is a platform that allows a new driver to not have to guess and learn from somebody else's mistakes, surely they'd be foolish not to utilize it?
first 3 points spot on
Vavicom

Post by Vavicom »

Hadjicos wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:38 pm
-Asked somebody.
-Guessed and got lucky.
first 3 points spot on
Don't know why I felt the need to waffle at the end. I might edit my comment and get rid of it. Not really needed to get my point across
Hadjicos

Post by Hadjicos »

Vavicom wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:38 pm
Hadjicos wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:38 pm
-Asked somebody.
-Guessed and got lucky.
first 3 points spot on
Don't know why I felt the need to waffle at the end. I might edit my comment and get rid of it. Not really needed to get my point across
love you Vavicom we all waffle sometimes
Petercen

Post by Petercen »

I plan my route with Maps Pro on my lap top, it has HGV routes low bridges, weight restrictions, Street View incorporated, use saterlite view to see where i can turn around at the site, and sat, nav as it saved me when the motorway was closed and the official diversion took in a low bridge on a back road , i cant see why you'd want to squint at a map in the 20th century, i could get the office to email me any paperwork required when tramping and print in the cab, i went out with a driver whod been driving 30yrs we got on site and he said i think its down here, i said no its a dead end, he went down there anyway and then had to try and jack knife out, i used to use loads of Mini A to Z's years ago but now no longer required, i think i took them to a charity shop
Harrolle

Post by Harrolle »

A traffic office girl said to me today go and set your sat Nav and everything up,, she was surprised when I said I know where haydock is, she replied oh can you do it old school like my dad 😂
JamiKino

Post by JamiKino »

In all fairness as a new pass driver myself, should I go and do it old school with an A-Z, or just use the technology available to me that hasn’t steered me wrong yet?
Hadjicos

Post by Hadjicos »

JamiKino wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:40 pm In all fairness as a new pass driver myself, should I go and do it old school with an A-Z, or just use the technology available to me that hasn’t steered me wrong yet?
perfect
JamiKino

Post by JamiKino »

Hadjicos wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:40 pm
JamiKino wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:40 pm In all fairness as a new pass driver myself, should I go and do it old school with an A-Z, or just use the technology available to me that hasn’t steered me wrong yet?
perfect
wasn’t trying to be funny or anything mate, I do feel like it’s a generational thing though
That being said, I do ignore the satnav sometimes when I need to.
As a new pass driver I would find it very difficult to grab an A-Z and plan a route that way because that’s just not how it’s done now so I’ve never needed to
Pement58

Post by Pement58 »

get rid of your sat nav, get rid of your phone, rip put the digital tacho and manually fill in a paper tacho disk, get rid of straps and just use rope and sheeting to secure your load. While you're at it; smoking is allowed everywhere, women belong in the home and not in the office, don't even think about using cruise control, if you can do find a lorry with a crash gear box, and if you do over night runs don't bother with the comfy bed, just use a plank of wood across the seats #backinmyday
JamiKino

Post by JamiKino »

Pement58 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:41 pm
get rid of your sat nav, get rid of your phone, rip put the digital tacho and manually fill in a paper tacho disk, get rid of straps and just use rope and sheeting to secure your load. While you're at it; smoking is allowed everywhere, women belong in the home and not in the office, don't even think about using cruise control, if you can do find a lorry with a crash gear box, and if you do over night runs don't bother with the comfy bed, just use a plank of wood across the seats #backinmyday
quality mate 😂
Adriango

Post by Adriango »

It was good back in the day. Walking miles to find a phone box. Every spare storage full of maps. I’m happy with the technology.
Andrzejet

Post by Andrzejet »

Yea and the older generations before you didn't even have A2Z map
Khance

Post by Khance »

My nav is only used for traffic info these days unless I'm in London
MattFour

Post by MattFour »

I have my atlas if I need it especially when your going rural and can't get any signal. But to be fair I can scan my route through Google maps quicker and check for weigh limits and height limits. But I do know people that don't do any route planning and just follow a sat nav blindly. I don't envy what you lot did back then though 😂
Kimrter

Post by Kimrter »

Typical thinking of a fossil.
Zacines

Post by Zacines »

To be honest we the young generation think the same about u the old ones watching u trying to go online and pay some bill u watching the tablet like u seeing aliens sometimes I have the feeling if they put simple key lock on toilets u won’t never get in it 😂😂😂

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”