Has anyone else done their HGV through an apprenticeship scheme? If all goes to plan I'll be doing my C+E in 3 to 6

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
PioNice

Has anyone else done their HGV through an apprenticeship scheme? If all goes to plan I'll be doing my C+E in 3 to 6

Post by PioNice »

So I got my Cat C a week ago (woo!), just waiting on the Tacho card and NVT card and I'll be ditching my 3.5t for a 7.5t.
Has anyone else done their HGV through an apprenticeship scheme? If all goes to plan I'll be doing my C+E in 3 to 6 months.
GazWas

Re: Has anyone else done their HGV through an apprenticeship scheme? If all goes to plan I'll be doing my C+E in 3 to 6

Post by GazWas »

😃 that's how I got my class C license congrats
Andriune

Re: Has anyone else done their HGV through an apprenticeship scheme? If all goes to plan I'll be doing my C+E in 3 to 6

Post by Andriune »

Yes I’m apprentice with Gregory. Passed all training.
Lorderru

Post by Lorderru »

Andriune wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:55 pm Yes I’m apprentice with Gregory. Passed all training.
not In Bristol? I pass the interview but then covid come now they saying no class around this way
Andriune

Post by Andriune »

Lorderru wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:56 pm
Andriune wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:55 pm Yes I’m apprentice with Gregory. Passed all training.
not In Bristol? I pass the interview but then covid come now they saying no class around this way
where do you live
Lorderru

Post by Lorderru »

Andriune wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:56 pm
where do you live
Bristol
Andriune

Post by Andriune »

Andriune wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:56 pm

where do you live
Bristol
try there website
PioNice

Post by PioNice »

Also full disclosure, I was far too happy about getting my big boy license to look even remotely cool here.
PioNice

Post by PioNice »

How good were your companies with sticking to the "schedule" so far as passing milestones like your theory and practical and CPC?
Charaffe

Post by Charaffe »

Wallace are a fantastic company, I passed my Class 1 with them first time
Mamunar

Post by Mamunar »

Charaffe wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:59 pm Wallace are a fantastic company, I passed my Class 1 with them first time
my experience with Wallace not great I also passed first time
DarbyUp

Post by DarbyUp »

Well done mate where you do your training Luton
Harkusef

Post by Harkusef »

I'm currently doing my c+e through an apprenticeship scheme with xpo logistics but the one I'm doing is 13months but if you haven't got the minimum of an e grade in English and maths they will make you do functional skills along side it but the program I find is a bit long than it needs to
Alexiati8

Post by Alexiati8 »

I’m at 6 months on 1st June and all I’ve had is feb medical and theory test 3 months later on the apprenticeship scheme
PioNice

Post by PioNice »

Alexiati8 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:02 pm I’m at 6 months on 1st June and all I’ve had is feb medical and theory test 3 months later on the apprenticeship scheme
they should be progressing you quicker than that. What company is handling your skills training?
Alexiati8

Post by Alexiati8 »

PioNice wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:03 pm
Alexiati8 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:02 pm I’m at 6 months on 1st June and all I’ve had is feb medical and theory test 3 months later on the apprenticeship scheme
they should be progressing you quicker than that. What company is handling your skills training?
it’s in house, so it’s at their speed
PioNice

Post by PioNice »

Alexiati8 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:03 pm
PioNice wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:03 pm
it’s in house, so it’s at their speed
oh, with mine AO handle the employment bit, and System Group handle the training bit.
Petercen

Post by Petercen »

Done my class 2 and 1 with Wallace. And pass first both times
PioNice

Post by PioNice »

Lawrema wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:07 pm Why going to 7.5 why not 18
because I work for AO who are doing my apprenticeship. I've been doing deliveries and installation of white goods and electricals.
The 7.5 ton is often used as a big van rather than doing a few big drops rather than multidrop.
It's nice having the extra space (I've been porter on 7.5t runs quite often) but you get sent stupid places.
The theory behind adding it to the fleet of hicube Merc Sprinters was to deliver job lots of appliances to new build estates or blocks of flats or university halls of residence.
The reality is that planning decided it's a big van. The chap who drove it previously got pissed off with that and left as the job wasn't as advertised.
But we don't have any 18 tonners in the company. I'm surprised that they put me through Cat C rather than C1 although it might be to do with the training provider for the Apprenticeship.
Lawrema

Post by Lawrema »

PioNice wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:07 pm
because I work for AO who are doing my apprenticeship. I've been doing deliveries and installation of white goods and electricals.
The 7.5 ton is often used as a big van rather than doing a few big drops rather than multidrop.
It's nice having the extra space (I've been porter on 7.5t runs quite often) but you get sent stupid places.
The theory behind adding it to the fleet of hicube Merc Sprinters was to deliver job lots of appliances to new build estates or blocks of flats or university halls of residence.
The reality is that planning decided it's a big van. The chap who drove it previously got pissed off with that and left as the job wasn't as advertised.
But we don't have any 18 tonners in the company. I'm surprised that they put me through Cat C rather than C1 although it might be to do with the training provider for the Apprenticeship.
ok mate good stuff if possible get on 18t before you do c+e most of its different but good experience for width and so on good look pal
PioNice

Post by PioNice »

Lawrema wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:08 pm
ok mate good stuff if possible get on 18t before you do c+e most of its different but good experience for width and so on good look pal
well ”my" 7.5t (I'll have to share my big donkey soon though) is probably wide enough. Unfortunately because I'll be driving on an NVT card rather than CPC that won't be possible.
NVT is a recent thing, national vocational training. I can drive for AO without a CPC card while I'm training as an apprentice. "Surprisingly" getting CPC card so you can drive for anyone is the last part, although I plan to stick with AO for a while.
4 on 4 off night trunking with no nights out. Aside from the night part it's my holy grail of shifts.
Thanks for the good luck wishes!
Lawrema

Post by Lawrema »

PioNice wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:08 pm
Lawrema wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:08 pm

well ”my" 7.5t (I'll have to share my big donkey soon though) is probably wide enough. Unfortunately because I'll be driving on an NVT card rather than CPC that won't be possible.
NVT is a recent thing, national vocational training. I can drive for AO without a CPC card while I'm training as an apprentice. "Surprisingly" getting CPC card so you can drive for anyone is the last part, although I plan to stick with AO for a while.
4 on 4 off night trunking with no nights out. Aside from the night part it's my holy grail of shifts.
Thanks for the good luck wishes!
fair enough mate enjoy be safe
Mossey

Post by Mossey »

I did apprenticeship then went straight to the bin lorries then c+e 3 months later
MeeHigh

Post by MeeHigh »

🙋‍♂️🙋‍♂️🙋‍♂️🙋‍♂️ I've my theory test on Monday I'm doing mine with SHEPHERD distribution in Sheffield.

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”