Evening all, just a quick question I have my class 2 training, 14th with my test on the 16th can anyone give me any

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
WoodFix2

Evening all, just a quick question I have my class 2 training, 14th with my test on the 16th can anyone give me any

Post by WoodFix2 »

Evening all, just a quick question I have my class 2 training, 14th with my test on the 16th can anyone give me any insight off what the days will include it’s 16hours training so I’m assuming roughly 5 hours a day will this be enough? Also I have to travel down from Bristol to Exeter what would you take with you? obviously hi vis and boots but anything else? Nervous is an understatement been waiting for along time now it’s here, I’ve heard the first 20 mins your out on the road is the worse any tips or advise.. TIA
JamiKino

Re: Evening all, just a quick question I have my class 2 training, 14th with my test on the 16th can anyone give me any

Post by JamiKino »

Did mine other week, no boots needed just comfy practical clothes, and same as normal driving test really just getting used to the truck and just driving round test route, a bit of the reversing practice (it’s easy) and more driving nothing major at all l, it was a bit nerve racking for first half hour or so but once you get into it it’s really enjoyable and “easy” it’s just getting used to mirrors checks and road positioning on turns etc
Ryannield

Re: Evening all, just a quick question I have my class 2 training, 14th with my test on the 16th can anyone give me any

Post by Ryannield »

Take your time, give other road users room, anticipate what other road users are going to do. Remember the size of vehicle you are in and they are slow compared to a car or van. Comfy clothing needed and Remember to enjoy it.
PauMc

Post by PauMc »

Don’t forget license and digicard 👍 Relax and have fun … the journey will properly start once you’ve passed 👍 Good luck 🤞
Rajantor

Post by Rajantor »

PauMc wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:29 pm Don’t forget license and digicard 👍 Relax and have fun … the journey will properly start once you’ve passed 👍 Good luck 🤞
no digi card needed for training, your exempt.
PauMc

Post by PauMc »

Rajantor wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:29 pm
PauMc wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:29 pm Don’t forget license and digicard 👍 Relax and have fun … the journey will properly start once you’ve passed 👍 Good luck 🤞
been a while since I’ve done it mate 😂
Rajantor

Post by Rajantor »

PauMc wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:30 pm
Rajantor wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:29 pm
been a while since I’ve done it mate 😂
always been tacho exempt for training. Even pre digi card.
Gabnner

Post by Gabnner »

Just relax...
...breath...
...deep breath...
...in through your nose...
... hold it...
...exhale through your mouth...
... Good.
You will be fine.
You will turn up and your instructor will greet you, ask you some questions and get to know you, will try and make you comfortable.
Will walk you through everything you need to know for the first few mins.
Your gonna be tense, just relax...
The vehicle is bigger and heavier, your gonna press on that break and its gonna scare you because its gonna feel like nothing is happening because in your car your slowing by now, but your car hasn't got 7 tone of water filled ipc in the back.
Other than that just relax and do as your instructor says and you will be fine.
Andriune

Post by Andriune »

a number of spare tacho rolls, I usually have 5 in bag, best to leave some in vehicle as well.
WoodFix2

Post by WoodFix2 »

Andriune wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:31 pm a number of spare tacho rolls, I usually have 5 in bag, best to leave some in vehicle as well.
for my training?
Andriune

Post by Andriune »

WoodFix2 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:31 pm
Andriune wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:31 pm a number of spare tacho rolls, I usually have 5 in bag, best to leave some in vehicle as well.
for my training?
for when out road on own, but get prepared early, especially if your employer is not too quick at providing things. for training, an open mind to unravel any bad habits
Joshin33

Post by Joshin33 »

for my training?
not for your training but once passed carry a 2 pack of tacho rolls in your day sack buy at motorway services
Joshin33

Post by Joshin33 »

for my training?
You definitely need a highviz and some gloves for hand rubbing your tyres when checking. I wore a highviz t shirt so i wouldn't forget as i hate driving in vests
Hugheron

Post by Hugheron »

They will prolly take you on the dvsa rest routes. Will be 4 hrs a day if it was like mine. Lots of roundabouts and pulling up then pulling off.
Andriune

Post by Andriune »

1st off will be getting used to vehicle and position etc. you need to get used to checking mirrors and over shoulder etc + Follow thru observations for Pedestrians on nearside etc as well as high vehicles that you pass or pass you.
Duttonix

Post by Duttonix »

Don't make same mistake I did and turn up on test day without your license!
But take your time, have a banana an hour or so before you start training and then once you're comfortable. Enjoy yourself 😊
Davicge07

Post by Davicge07 »

How they split training days up varies. My 3 days were 2 x 6 hour days and 8 hours on 3rd day (because my test was very last slot of the day).
No boots needed unless that's what you prefer, if you're more comfortable driving in trainers then wear trainers.
If you wear specs or contact lens chucking a spare pair in your pocket doesn't hurt (just in case of disaster).
Your licence and theory/hazard pass certificate. Very probably won't need the certificate 1st day but better to have it on you.
First few hours of first day will be getting used to size of vehicle, how much distance it takes to slow down, etc....basically getting comfortable. Within 5 mins of turning the key the first day I was driving on a dual carriageway, 10 minutes later was on the motorway......and all that time the instructor was constantly explaining about road position, mirrors, what I should be looking for or looking at. Didn't have any time to worry.
I can guarantee that even if you think you're checking your mirrors way, way too much......your instructor will tell you to do it more. 😁
Jeffiyeh

Post by Jeffiyeh »

5 hours is plenty more will fry your brain
Jeffiyeh

Post by Jeffiyeh »

Hgv you steer the rear axle around corners doing whatever you have to do with the front end. White lines are for cars you may have to do something different with an hgv
Robertis

Post by Robertis »

Comfy clothes and a drink. Once you start to get a feel for the size and weight you'll relax a bit. Mirrors, mirrors, mirrors every 5 seconds at least and keep checking over your right shoulder into the blind spot, the examiner will like to see you doing this often so make sure you really move your head. Keep your back tyres well away from kerbs, this is an instant fail. Indicate all the time, every time (another fail if you don't) split both lanes on a roundabout for a left or right turn if you have to. Your instructor will put you right, listen to him/her. Take it steady, slow down on approach to pedestrian lights especially if you see someone waiting to cross in case they change; remember your weight, you won't stop as quick as a car can. Good luck 🍀
Barcsavo

Post by Barcsavo »

Just 4 hours driving every day am or pm depending on what you’ve arranged but you’ll be drained after it
Shieldor

Post by Shieldor »

Mirrors, mirrors, mirrors, blind spot.
Kadolaz

Post by Kadolaz »

Oh where about In Exeter, I got my training for class 1 in June in the outback's of Exeter, the guys are great down there
WoodFix2

Post by WoodFix2 »

Kadolaz wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:42 pm Oh where about In Exeter, I got my training for class 1 in June in the outback's of Exeter, the guys are great down there
SRTS, West Point? yeah training really good calmed me right down 😂
WoodFix2

Post by WoodFix2 »

Thanks everyone for advises, appreciate

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”