Good afternoon everyone! Quick question, we have lots of drivers from Moldova and Ukraine, their English language is

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Levinex22

Good afternoon everyone! Quick question, we have lots of drivers from Moldova and Ukraine, their English language is

Post by Levinex22 »

Good afternoon everyone!
Quick question, we have lots of drivers from Moldova and Ukraine, their English language is very basic, I was wondering if there is alternative 35 hours CPC language courses for drivers available in the UK? Thanks
Cojoraqu

Re: Good afternoon everyone! Quick question, we have lots of drivers from Moldova and Ukraine, their English language is

Post by Cojoraqu »

Attendance is compulsory so doesn't matter what language!
Levinex22

Re: Good afternoon everyone! Quick question, we have lots of drivers from Moldova and Ukraine, their English language is

Post by Levinex22 »

Cojoraqu wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:13 pm Attendance is compulsory so doesn't matter what language!
I understand that, but is there some sort of test at the end that they will have to complete? Also it will be a bit embarrassing if tutor will ask a question and someone will be struggling to a) understand the question, b) answer it due to the language barrier (even if the question is understood). Thanks
Cojoraqu

Post by Cojoraqu »

Levinex22 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:13 pm
Cojoraqu wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:13 pm Attendance is compulsory so doesn't matter what language!
I understand that, but is there some sort of test at the end that they will have to complete? Also it will be a bit embarrassing if tutor will ask a question and someone will be struggling to a) understand the question, b) answer it due to the language barrier (even if the question is understood). Thanks
no test buddy, attendance is the requirement
Levinex22

Post by Levinex22 »

Cojoraqu wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:14 pm
got it, thank you
Wagstain

Post by Wagstain »

Levinex22 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:14 pm
Cojoraqu wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:14 pm

got it, thank you
it’s a big issue with CPC. They do need to be able to understand. You can’t just attend and not have a clue what’s going on. But does need to be delivered in English. It’s an issue that needs addressing urgently.
Stivimac

Post by Stivimac »

not what he asked. Post is about courses being delivered in languages OTHER than English, as the drivers probably aren’t fluent in it
Triolon

Post by Triolon »

yes it does the course must be delivered in English however you can have slides translated
Triolon

Post by Triolon »

the driver cpc must be delivered in English however some companies offer slides for the course in other languages so although they may not be able to understand everything that’s being said they can read slides in their native language
Levinex22

Post by Levinex22 »

Triolon wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:16 pm the driver cpc must be delivered in English however some companies offer slides for the course in other languages so although they may not be able to understand everything that’s being said they can read slides in their native language
Got it, thank you! Do you know who offers that? I did search google before posting here..
Triolon

Post by Triolon »

Levinex22 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:17 pm
Triolon wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:16 pm the driver cpc must be delivered in English however some companies offer slides for the course in other languages so although they may not be able to understand everything that’s being said they can read slides in their native language
Got it, thank you! Do you know who offers that? I did search google before posting here..
I can’t remember off the top of my head. I think it was total compliance that did it but I can’t remember
Levinex22

Post by Levinex22 »

Triolon wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:17 pm
I can’t remember off the top of my head. I think it was total compliance that did it but I can’t remember
np, thank you!
Byroniw

Post by Byroniw »

Triolon wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:17 pm

np, thank you!
it is possible for a translator to assist in the course as well. This can be done by talking to the training provider before hand and having a translator translate the slides which can be used as hand outs.
AnMister

Post by AnMister »

Make sure the Moldovan drivers have got valid licence i.e passed in EU country and not just passed in Moldova and then exchanged for Romanian licence. Good practice is to make sure all are on UK Licences
Levinex22

Post by Levinex22 »

AnMister wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:19 pm Make sure the Moldovan drivers have got valid licence i.e passed in EU country and not just passed in Moldova and then exchanged for Romanian licence. Good practice is to make sure all are on UK Licences
they all exchanged to gb licence already, their cpc expires soon, hence checking best route. Thanks
AnMister

Post by AnMister »

Levinex22 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:20 pm
AnMister wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:19 pm Make sure the Moldovan drivers have got valid licence i.e passed in EU country and not just passed in Moldova and then exchanged for Romanian licence. Good practice is to make sure all are on UK Licences
they all exchanged to gb licence already, their cpc expires soon, hence checking best route. Thanks
good question though as I have a number of guys who will be in the same situation

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”