Tool Box Talks... Any ideas for January Tool Box Talk, running out of ideas unless we start going back over previous

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Steerdu80

Tool Box Talks... Any ideas for January Tool Box Talk, running out of ideas unless we start going back over previous

Post by Steerdu80 »

Tool Box Talks...
Any ideas for January Tool Box Talk, running out of ideas unless we start going back over previous Talks.
Another walk around check talk at the end of every Toolbox talk is just standard too, as I might as well bang my head on the wall!
JoeMind

Re: Tool Box Talks... Any ideas for January Tool Box Talk, running out of ideas unless we start going back over previous

Post by JoeMind »

Any particular reason why you need to do a monthly toolbox talk? Maybe incorporate it into an induction and then issue tool box talks when an issue arises?
Phirian

Re: Tool Box Talks... Any ideas for January Tool Box Talk, running out of ideas unless we start going back over previous

Post by Phirian »

JoeMind wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:49 pm Any particular reason why you need to do a monthly toolbox talk? Maybe incorporate it into an induction and then issue tool box talks when an issue arises?
if you are operator that wants to keep everything up to date, monthly toolbox talks are really good thing for compliance side, does miracles when auditors come in
Steerdu80

Post by Steerdu80 »

JoeMind wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:49 pm Any particular reason why you need to do a monthly toolbox talk? Maybe incorporate it into an induction and then issue tool box talks when an issue arises?
as Phirian says just for good compliance for any future 'visits'
Triolon

Post by Triolon »

if your FORS accredited there is an expectation that Toolbox Talks are planned and incorporated into a 12 month plan. Prevention is always better than cure in my opinion, although I appreciate that we can’t foresee every eventuality.
Phirian

Post by Phirian »

Triolon wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:51 pm
if your FORS accredited there is an expectation that Toolbox Talks are planned and incorporated into a 12 month plan. Prevention is always better than cure in my opinion, although I appreciate that we can’t foresee every eventuality.
exactly, even I do not like FORS and think that they are just money making machine. However we do keep silver level giving us access to big contracts
Triolon

Post by Triolon »

Phirian wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:51 pm
Triolon wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:51 pm
exactly, even I do not like FORS and think that they are just money making machine. However we do keep silver level giving us access to big contracts
agreed.
Phirian

Post by Phirian »

Manual Handling, usually good toolbox talk
Apollosy

Post by Apollosy »

Load security and strapping is a good one ☝️
Andinfo

Post by Andinfo »

Accident Procedure
Vulnerable Road Users
Vehicle security, safe parking
Leesets11

Post by Leesets11 »

Winter driving may be good in Jan
Dannyox

Post by Dannyox »

Spending quite a lot of time on these groups I’ve noticed that numerous are still not up to date on the WTD and driving hours regs. I’d also suggest adding the requirements of manual entries at the same time.
It might seem like a bore fest to most, but it appears to be much required on a regular basis, particularly for the ‘older’ generation of drivers who are stuck in the 80’/90’s.
Moczumo

Post by Moczumo »

Andinfo, Has the best idea with accident procedure. It's winter and dark so statistically accidents are more likely but it never ceases to amaze me how few operators brief their drivers of what they want them to in the event of an accident or incident.
Sapsiano

Post by Sapsiano »

Winter driving, accident/incident reporting procedures and manual handling are always good ones for January.
Steerdu80

Post by Steerdu80 »

Sapsiano wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:58 pm Winter driving, accident/incident reporting procedures and manual handling are always good ones for January.
Thanks Sapsiano, I did winter driving in Dec when we had the cold snap.
Steerdu80

Post by Steerdu80 »

I will be taking all of these ideas and storing them for future talks too!
Dan2faas

Post by Dan2faas »

Personally I think toolbox talks are a good thing as it puts the responsibility onto the operator to ensure you are kept up to date with all legal and company legislation. I work for a large operator and we never have any toolbox talks only periodic cpc training.
Roysic37

Post by Roysic37 »

Maybe do an interactive where the drivers can share top tips (and be ready to put a company view if they are not quite on same page as company)
Steerdu80

Post by Steerdu80 »

Roysic37 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:00 pm Maybe do an interactive where the drivers can share top tips (and be ready to put a company view if they are not quite on same page as company)
I really like the idea of this especially as its January, a sort of new year new start and lets see if we are all pointing in the same direction.
Steerdu80

Post by Steerdu80 »

Roysic37 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:00 pm Maybe do an interactive where the drivers can share top tips (and be ready to put a company view if they are not quite on same page as company)
With a little recap on 2022 👏👏
Steerdu80

Post by Steerdu80 »

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm going with Roysic idea of an interactive one, where the drivers can share top tips, so I can see if they are all pointing in the same direction as the company. With a recap on 2022. A bit of a lighter one to start the new year on. I will also be doing all others mentioned if I haven't already done them in future months. Thanks again
Moczumo

Post by Moczumo »

Steerdu80 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:02 pm Thanks everyone for the input. I'm going with Roysic idea of an interactive one, where the drivers can share top tips, so I can see if they are all pointing in the same direction as the company. With a recap on 2022. A bit of a lighter one to start the new year on. I will also be doing all others mentioned if I haven't already done them in future months. Thanks again
It was a great post and I'm sure everyone has taken some ideas away so thank you 👍The interactive one is a cracking idea, needs a bit of though for its structure and a strong facilitator otherwise it could lead to a bit of a moan fest. Make them give at least 2 positive tips before they are allowed to say anything negative.
Steerdu80

Post by Steerdu80 »

Moczumo wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:02 pm
Steerdu80 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:02 pm Thanks everyone for the input. I'm going with Roysic idea of an interactive one, where the drivers can share top tips, so I can see if they are all pointing in the same direction as the company. With a recap on 2022. A bit of a lighter one to start the new year on. I will also be doing all others mentioned if I haven't already done them in future months. Thanks again
It was a great post and I'm sure everyone has taken some ideas away so thank you 👍The interactive one is a cracking idea, needs a bit of though for its structure and a strong facilitator otherwise it could lead to a bit of a moan fest. Make them give at least 2 positive tips before they are allowed to say anything negative.
already know what driver will think it’s opportunity to moan! but going to broach it as upbeat as I can and try to keep them on side. They are a good bunch as a whole 😊
Moczumo

Post by Moczumo »

Steerdu80 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:03 pm
Moczumo wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:02 pm
already know what driver will think it’s opportunity to moan! but going to broach it as upbeat as I can and try to keep them on side. They are a good bunch as a whole 😊
Yes embrace it lol 😂 it's a really positive thing to do and will come across much better than the standard 'lecture' type tool box talk. Good luck let us know how you get on.
Roysic37

Post by Roysic37 »

thanks for the mention! I would let the drivers know in advance so they can think up the best!
Thewebix

Post by Thewebix »

To mix things up a bit, I'm just writing a diabetes awareness and professional driving one 👍
Andinfo

Post by Andinfo »

Thewebix wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:06 pm To mix things up a bit, I'm just writing a diabetes awareness and professional driving one 👍
I like that thinking, how about mental health as well?
Cojoraqu

Post by Cojoraqu »

Mental health on the road is a good topic that is still ignored.

https://www.theshippinghub.co.uk/info/t ... k-drivers/
JJamield6

Post by JJamield6 »

Cojoraqu wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:07 pm Mental health on the road is a good topic that is still ignored.

https://www.theshippinghub.co.uk/info/t ... k-drivers/
we run a Dcpc session on mental health, so important drivers are aware, We all have bad days. And it is good to talk.
Nockett

Post by Nockett »

MENTAL HEALTH. An important frequently missed one!
Staying safe in extreme weather is also a good one this time of year
Nockett

Post by Nockett »

By staying safe, I mean all aspects of working in extreme or adverse weather.
Touch on all aspects of the job. Loading and unloading in adverse conditions (ever taken a curtain buckle to the face on a windy day?) Common injuries and risks in adverse conditions such as the increased risk of STaF in icy conditions. Have a think what you would change in harsh weather compared to ideal conditions. You may not open a curtain on both sides due to the risk involved with closing it etc
JoeMind

Post by JoeMind »

Slow speed manoeuvres, mirror settings, mental risk assessments, coupling and uncoupling, falls from cabs, manual handling, defensive driving, driving style inc fuel efficiency.
Steerdu80

Post by Steerdu80 »

Thinking I will touch on mental health during the interactive chat once we have them talking.
Wagstain

Post by Wagstain »

Tool box talks can cover anything that affects the driver and or operator.
Topics could include but are not limited to;
OCR scores and how drivers daily checks and attitude can affect them.
Daily checks
Hours, rest periods,
Planning
Mental well being,
Physical well being,
Loading and unloading,
h&S,
Driving styles (fast acceleration and harsh breaking)
Fuel and add blue usage.
For tippers safe distance between lorries when tipping, safe areas for tipping,
Safe areas to stop,
Safety while on third part sites.
Accident reporting
Mobile phone policy,
Any other company policy that affects the driver.
Keeping the inside and outside of the vehicle clean and tidy.
Any topic that there is a DCPC for,
Understanding the role of a TM (we are not there to moan but to make sure everyone is compliant so everyone has a job tomorrow.
The list just keeps going,
A tool box talk is only any good if the hearts and minds of the senior Management believes in and encourages what is said in them, if not it is just a tick box exercise and not worth doing.
That isn’t just my view but that of the HSE at a hearing that the employer tries to use toolbox talks as a way to say the employee should have known better when asked to do something by their manager.
Bluecorn

Post by Bluecorn »

Wagstain wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:12 pm Tool box talks can cover anything that affects the driver and or operator.

A tool box talk is only any good if the hearts and minds of the senior Management believes in and encourages what is said in them, if not it is just a tick box exercise and not worth doing.
That isn’t just my view but that of the HSE at a hearing that the employer tries to use toolbox talks as a way to say the employee should have known better when asked to do something by their manager.
Your example from the HSE may be towards a quite specific case, - wasn't it where they used TBTs instead of doing any meaningful training, supervision etc!

TBTs can be for such simple yet integral things - even if it's about filling in the fuel/adblue records, using and setting Satnav etc, updating on delivery routes, new clients and the list goes on. For some it's an affirmation, for some it's removing conflicting ideas and for some, it's wholly new.
Used as part of overall communication then TBTs can be a great way of improving things in the company
Snaphappychappy22

Post by Snaphappychappy22 »

I've got a few toolbox talks available through my online store;

https://www.easyfleetr.com/product-page ... ss-fatigue
https://www.easyfleetr.com/product-page ... nor-faults
https://www.easyfleetr.com/product-page ... ser-safety
https://www.easyfleetr.com/product-page ... of-sat-nav
https://www.easyfleetr.com/product-page ... ng-healthy
https://www.easyfleetr.com/product-page ... olbox-talk
https://www.easyfleetr.com/product-page ... -terrorism
https://www.easyfleetr.com/product-page ... and-health

Created with drivers, for drivers. Includes guidance notes for the trainer / supervisor. Tiredness and fatigue / fitness and health is a big topic at the moment. I recommend you plan different topics each month, keep the talk to no longer than 40 mins, include video and / or quiz-style questions to break it up a bit and give the drivers access to the slide pack afterwards.
Providing bespoke products to TMs, operators and drivers, including documents to raise and maintain fleet and driver standards, toolbox talks and DCPC training, audit and assessment templates and much more besides!

easyfleetr.com

[email protected]

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”