What about this old truck, still in service as a shunter modern drivers have no idea what to do with the Eaton

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Jimmicge

What about this old truck, still in service as a shunter modern drivers have no idea what to do with the Eaton

Post by Jimmicge »

What about this old truck, still in service as a shunter modern drivers have no idea what to do with the Eaton splitter gear bo
Attachments
A.jpg
A.jpg (211.21 KiB) Viewed 918 times
B.jpg
B.jpg (153.9 KiB) Viewed 918 times
Jimmicge

Re: What about this old truck, still in service as a shunter modern drivers have no idea what to do with the Eaton

Post by Jimmicge »

Krishen wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:22 pm Before my time that
your to young for everything young whipper snapper lol
Krishen

Re: What about this old truck, still in service as a shunter modern drivers have no idea what to do with the Eaton

Post by Krishen »

Jimmicge wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:23 pm
lol
Trixield

Post by Trixield »

Krishen wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:23 pm
lol
JCB's very own ERF's.
Davirunn

Post by Davirunn »

lol
Too good for a shunter🙄
Krishen

Post by Krishen »

Davirunn wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:26 pm

lol
Too good for a shunter🙄
Streetshites belong at a scrapyard 😂
Arlante

Post by Arlante »

Modern drivers probably don't care about out dated technology anyway.
PauMc

Post by PauMc »

Colin Pickering show em How's it's done
Krishen

Post by Krishen »

Rendenc wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:29 pmLike like
beats the streetshites at first
Rendenc

Post by Rendenc »

Krishen wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:29 pm
Rendenc wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:29 pmLike like
beats the streetshites at first
hey I'm just the fan of steering with an effort in place lol
Vladaq22

Post by Vladaq22 »

Does it have lifting 5th wheel?
Jimmicge

Post by Jimmicge »

Vladaq22 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:31 pm Does it have lifting 5th wheel?
yes it's still being used for yard shunting
Cartero

Post by Cartero »

Jimmicge wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:31 pm
yes it's still being used for yard shunting
i know what to do with a Eaton twin, my first truck had one when I was at hunts transport 1989 lol
Kenters

Post by Kenters »

No 😂😂
GronowXp

Post by GronowXp »

Modern trucks have autos, teach a modern driver how to use a splitter box and they'll be able to. You old boys aren't some sort of wizards with mad skills that can't be learnt by anyone born after 1978 ffs.
Nice truck.
Kieecto

Post by Kieecto »

GronowXp wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:38 pm Modern trucks have autos, teach a modern driver how to use a splitter box and they'll be able to. You old boys aren't some sort of wizards with mad skills that can't be learnt by anyone born after 1978 ffs.
Nice truck.
bet he also went to Iraq and back in 2 days with a backload
Frasero

Post by Frasero »

Kieecto wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:48 pm
GronowXp wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:38 pm Modern trucks have autos, teach a modern driver how to use a splitter box and they'll be able to. You old boys aren't some sort of wizards with mad skills that can't be learnt by anyone born after 1978 ffs.
Nice truck.
bet he also went to Iraq and back in 2 days with a backload
If I had pound for every time I heard Eaton twin splitter mentioned in a truck stop....
StevMan

Post by StevMan »

Nice truck.
modern truck have auto gearboxes because a manual gearbox is extra money now days and a Eaton twin splitter gearbox was great when it worked right but if you missed a gear or got stopped you had to stop and start again
Owenzy70

Post by Owenzy70 »

Nice truck.
well said! the same superstars cant pair the phone up to radio with Bluetooth 🙄😂
Dannyox

Post by Dannyox »

Nice truck.
As an old boy, I fully agree with your sentiments.
It’s a ridiculous statement.
Phirian

Post by Phirian »

Modern drivers also dont care that you still have a starter handle…
Jimnado

Post by Jimnado »

Very nice truck, not sure what relevance the Eaton splitter has, us new drivers don't know how to use 1 because there more or less obsolete 👍
Steerdu80

Post by Steerdu80 »

Jimnado wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:57 pm Very nice truck, not sure what relevance the Eaton splitter has, us new drivers don't know how to use 1 because there more or less obsolete 👍
Good point they would, I'm sure, but they did give you a skill that you don't get now 👍
Jimnado

Post by Jimnado »

Steerdu80 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:58 pm
Jimnado wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:57 pm Very nice truck, not sure what relevance the Eaton splitter has, us new drivers don't know how to use 1 because there more or less obsolete 👍
Good point they would, I'm sure, but they did give you a skill that you don't get now 👍
id love to try n learn how to use 1,but I've never even seen 1 nvm had a chance to try 👍
Nitramin

Post by Nitramin »

Jimnado wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:58 pm
id love to try n learn how to use 1,but I've never even seen 1 nvm had a chance to try 👍
I wouldn't bother, they are like marmite, you either love them or hate them, I hate marmite and twin splitters.
Steerdu80

Post by Steerdu80 »

Nitramin wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:00 pm
Jimnado wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:58 pm

I wouldn't bother, they are like marmite, you either love them or hate them, I hate marmite and twin splitters.
they were dead easy really Jimnado, I could explain it if you wanted me to but no doubt you could leave me for dead with computers etc 😂😂
Stivimac

Post by Stivimac »

OMG. I drove on like that years ago and my wrists ache at the thought of it. Nice truck though
ShawZero

Post by ShawZero »

Ye bit of a beast in the wrong hands lol
Olliencin

Post by Olliencin »

One came past me on the A1 last week still working
Holtzen

Post by Holtzen »

Is that in Huddersfield?
AnMister

Post by AnMister »

To be honest I’ve been driving 30 years and I wouldn’t have a clue I was lucky enough to drive scania’s and as for tying a dolly knot I’ve no chance only just leant to Ty my shoe laces.
Richium

Post by Richium »

This is right up your street
Alexsio99

Post by Alexsio99 »

It’s the same old thing in every industry. Coming from a farming and fabrication background you hear it all the time. The old boys that drove what are now classic tractors (County, Ford, 40, 55, 10 series John Deeres) rave about them purring away all day, but give me a CVT (basically an automatic) any day of the week. I like to go home in the evening not feeling like I’ve been through ten rounds with Mike Tyson, while Piers Morgan is shouting down my ear. Like wise, modern welders and technology make the job so much easier than a clapped out old Oxford oil cooled. Productivity in every sector has gone up, taking the skill out of the operators hands, by letting the machine do the graft. The whole, drivers aren’t the same as they used to be is bullsh*t and just an easy way for those that want to live in the past demean the younger generation. Put any young lad on any machine, if he’s keen enough he’ll learn it and be just as good as the dinosaurs who enjoy an Eaton splitter 🤦🏻‍♂️
Ianbenn

Post by Ianbenn »

Alexsio99 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:13 pm It’s the same old thing in every industry. Coming from a farming and fabrication background you hear it all the time. The old boys that drove what are now classic tractors (County, Ford, 40, 55, 10 series John Deeres) rave about them purring away all day, but give me a CVT (basically an automatic) any day of the week. I like to go home in the evening not feeling like I’ve been through ten rounds with Mike Tyson, while Piers Morgan is shouting down my ear. Like wise, modern welders and technology make the job so much easier than a clapped out old Oxford oil cooled. Productivity in every sector has gone up, taking the skill out of the operators hands, by letting the machine do the graft. The whole, drivers aren’t the same as they used to be is bullsh*t and just an easy way for those that want to live in the past demean the younger generation. Put any young lad on any machine, if he’s keen enough he’ll learn it and be just as good as the dinosaurs who enjoy an Eaton splitter 🤦🏻‍♂️
totally agree with you.
BArakko

Post by BArakko »

Alexsio99 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:13 pm It’s the same old thing in every industry. Coming from a farming and fabrication background you hear it all the time. The old boys that drove what are now classic tractors (County, Ford, 40, 55, 10 series John Deeres) rave about them purring away all day, but give me a CVT (basically an automatic) any day of the week. I like to go home in the evening not feeling like I’ve been through ten rounds with Mike Tyson, while Piers Morgan is shouting down my ear. Like wise, modern welders and technology make the job so much easier than a clapped out old Oxford oil cooled. Productivity in every sector has gone up, taking the skill out of the operators hands, by letting the machine do the graft. The whole, drivers aren’t the same as they used to be is bullsh*t and just an easy way for those that want to live in the past demean the younger generation. Put any young lad on any machine, if he’s keen enough he’ll learn it and be just as good as the dinosaurs who enjoy an Eaton splitter 🤦🏻‍♂️
you sir are a legend. Tell them old boys wagwan
BArakko

Post by BArakko »

I bet you old boys wouldn't have a clue how to drive this old bad boy either... from 1970 something. My father used to have 1 and it was exhausting just to watch him change gears. Automatics have made life easier, no doubt about that.
Attachments
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (196.84 KiB) Viewed 854 times
Triolon

Post by Triolon »

Its not young drivers fault that they don’t know, they’re born into the auto box era, I’ve driven most manual boxes and I can say the Volvo I shift beats them all
JJamield6

Post by JJamield6 »

Triolon wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:18 pm Its not young drivers fault that they don’t know, they’re born into the auto box era, I’ve driven most manual boxes and I can say the Volvo I shift beats them all
shift is good but not as good as a good driver who knows his vehicle.
Triolon

Post by Triolon »

JJamield6 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:18 pm
Triolon wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:18 pm Its not young drivers fault that they don’t know, they’re born into the auto box era, I’ve driven most manual boxes and I can say the Volvo I shift beats them all
I was the most conscientious driver back in the day and could handle all the gearboxes I was given but I’m not the first old timer to say the I shift beats them all
JJamield6

Post by JJamield6 »

Triolon wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:19 pm
I was the most conscientious driver back in the day and could handle all the gearboxes I was given but I’m not the first old timer to say the I shift beats them all
I would agree your not the first to say it. But I could better an I shift on fuel economy anyway of the week. Likewise on brick and block which is 95% road and 5% site they aren’t that cracking.
Triolon

Post by Triolon »

JJamield6 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:19 pm
Triolon wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:19 pm

I would agree your not the first to say it. But I could better an I shift on fuel economy anyway of the week. Likewise on brick and block which is 95% road and 5% site they aren’t that cracking.
that would be an interesting challenge
AndrewMc

Post by AndrewMc »

I also don’t have any idea how to get on a penny farthing, doesn’t mean I can’t ride a bike 🤣
CowleJo

Post by CowleJo »

JCB sold a load of these last year all in good nick
JoeMind

Post by JoeMind »

My frav truck was a old f reg scania when my 2 year old daf broke down they bought me that our to finish the rub and loved it I asked to keep it but cost to much in fuel
PetruXp

Post by PetruXp »

Magnificent beast! RR engine?
Leesets11

Post by Leesets11 »

I guess you old timers don’t know we’d just Google it 😂
Jimmicge

Post by Jimmicge »

Leesets11 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:23 pm I guess you old timers don’t know we’d just Google it 😂
don't call me an old timer I'm only 64 🤣🤣🤣
Fosteer

Post by Fosteer »

Not for me, this is the equivalent of tuning an old black and white tv

https://www.pond5.com/stock-footage/ite ... -crt-telev
Kenters

Post by Kenters »

I had one from new
w reg Olympic 👍
Nockett

Post by Nockett »

Ok Boomer. And I'm sure you'll have no idea how to work some modern tech without asking. 🙄
Smelkonn

Post by Smelkonn »

Could you not be bothered to mask it off so everything got sprayed yellow?
JoeMind

Post by JoeMind »

Got nothing to do with modern drivers, it’s modern manufacturers not putting them in trucks any more. Drivers that used these would have needed the same time to get used to them as a modern driver would.
Nowarder

Post by Nowarder »

JoeMind wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:28 pm Got nothing to do with modern drivers, it’s modern manufacturers not putting them in trucks any more. Drivers that used these would have needed the same time to get used to them as a modern driver would.
having used both, anyone who used a splitter can jump in a modern truck and get it going in seconds, it wouldn't be the same the other way around.
JoeMind

Post by JoeMind »

Nowarder wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:29 pm
JoeMind wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:28 pm Got nothing to do with modern drivers, it’s modern manufacturers not putting them in trucks any more. Drivers that used these would have needed the same time to get used to them as a modern driver would.
having used both, anyone who used a splitter can jump in a modern truck and get it going in seconds, it wouldn't be the same the other way around.
so you jumped straight into a truck with a splitter box and were a pro straight away were you? I don’t think so.
Nowarder

Post by Nowarder »

JoeMind wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:29 pm
so you jumped straight into a truck with a splitter box and were a pro straight away were you? I don’t think so.
I grown up with them, I just stating the fact, anyone can sit and drive a automatic, no the other way around, I embrace the change, trucking it has become easier and less heavy and more comfortable.
Philify

Post by Philify »

I drove a twin splitter took a bit of getting used to but was good once I was familiar with it! I do prefer a manual box anyway from today’s automatic
Yoggarc

Post by Yoggarc »

I could drive them at age 12 on sites
Back when you could go out with ya dad that’s how we learnt
JoeMind

Post by JoeMind »

Yoggarc wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:34 pm

I could drive them at age 12 on sites
Back when you could go out with ya dad that’s how we learnt
But you have completely missed my point. I said it’s got nothing to do with “modern drivers” like the original poster said. Anyone could drive one given time.
Shermatt

Post by Shermatt »

I drove one for John Marshall transport in wickambrook Suffolk
Blacklid69

Post by Blacklid69 »

An why would they want to.
Time and technology move on.
Davirunn

Post by Davirunn »

Used to hate the eaton splitter hard work nice new technology making life easy 🤣🤣
Ojharlet

Post by Ojharlet »

Wow for a shunting truck that’s clean. 😀
Coliish

Post by Coliish »

What tunes does it play ??? Brilliant gearbox once you get used to it
Jumartin

Post by Jumartin »

Heaton twin splitter in our fleet of ERFs, every single one drove differently, crazy Times lol
Triolon

Post by Triolon »

Jumartin wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:43 pm Heaton twin splitter in our fleet of ERFs, every single one drove differently, crazy Times lol
*eaton
Blacklid69

Post by Blacklid69 »

Jumartin wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:43 pm Heaton twin splitter in our fleet of ERFs, every single one drove differently, crazy Times lol
no H in Eaton. Your getting mixed up with the park 😉
Jumartin

Post by Jumartin »

Blacklid69 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:44 pm
no H in Eaton. Your getting mixed up with the park 😉
l was a trucker, alphabet soup was the nearest I got to literature 😁😅🤣

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”