What about this old truck, still in service as a shunter modern drivers have no idea what to do with the Eaton

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Andriessi83

Re: What about this old truck, still in service as a shunter modern drivers have no idea what to do with the Eaton

Post by Andriessi83 »

Twin split or a 16 speed splitter?
Darreco

Re: What about this old truck, still in service as a shunter modern drivers have no idea what to do with the Eaton

Post by Darreco »

Looks proper tidy in person am sure I saw it in Huddersfield of the main road near Mercedes dealer something like “go direct “the company was called
Attachments
Picture.jpg
Picture.jpg (31.99 KiB) Viewed 823 times
Nockett

Post by Nockett »

JCB use loads of these still. Judging by the colour I would say this is one of theirs.
Younish

Post by Younish »

So what we don’t know what to do with a splitter gearbox, it’s called progress ! I bet you can’t clear your search history in 3 seconds but we can
Thewebix

Post by Thewebix »

Younish wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:48 pm So what we don’t know what to do with a splitter gearbox, it’s called progress ! I bet you can’t clear your search history in 3 seconds but we can
good point, some of them old boys have unsavory search history😂
Omaholic

Post by Omaholic »

I wouldn't drive anything else an eaton splitter shift just as quick as an auto I know since I've had a drag race with one. Lol
Matusic

Post by Matusic »

I may never get to drive a twin splitter, but if I had a chance then I would give it a go.
Dan2faas

Post by Dan2faas »

Matusic wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:49 pm I may never get to drive a twin splitter, but if I had a chance then I would give it a go.
it can be arranged
Allanster

Post by Allanster »

JCB still run a couple of those
Yoggarc

Post by Yoggarc »

Love these posts
As a young driver back in the 90s I showed many “old school drivers” how to actually jockey an Eaton twin correctly🤦🏻‍♂️
Saved the company a few bob on box rebuilds 🤣🤣
Jonetory

Post by Jonetory »

Yoggarc wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:52 pm Love these posts
As a young driver back in the 90s I showed many “old school drivers” how to actually jockey an Eaton twin correctly🤦🏻‍♂️
i wish I knew what any of that 🤣meant
Yoggarc

Post by Yoggarc »

Jonetory wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:53 pm
Yoggarc wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:52 pm Love these posts
i wish I knew what any of that 🤣meant
Tbh you wouldn’t want one now especially in an ec11 🤣🤣
ShawZero

Post by ShawZero »

Most modern drivers wouldn’t have clue on any splitters all automatic now 🤪
Laurezen

Post by Laurezen »

My favourite gearbox back then. The first few days were crunch, grind and wtf 😵‍💫😵‍💫to get in each gear. But once mastered. Best gearbox 😉
NickPr

Post by NickPr »

Great trucks proper gear boxes
PauMc

Post by PauMc »

What is it with the eaten twin splitter it's not like it was a difficult box to master. I bet half you old boys were up in arms when they did away with the starting handle too
Yoggarc

Post by Yoggarc »

PauMc wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:04 pm What is it with the eaten twin splitter it's not like it was a difficult box to master. I bet half you old boys were up in arms when they did away with the starting handle too
shh don’t say that or the dolly knot brigade will start on ya 🤣
PauMc

Post by PauMc »

Yoggarc wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:04 pm
PauMc wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:04 pm What is it with the eaten twin splitter it's not like it was a difficult box to master. I bet half you old boys were up in arms when they did away with the starting handle too
shh don’t say that or the dolly knot brigade will start on ya 🤣
it's not right it'll only break
Miculand

Post by Miculand »

Worked at coop Newhouse kept getting asked can I drive splitter eye iv drove a crash box
PetruXp

Post by PetruXp »

Twin spliters ..done my time on them..don’t even want a gear stick in my car anymore..
BeddiRap

Post by BeddiRap »

We got 2 of these, ones on road and this is just getting ready to go back on 💪
Attachments
Picture.jpg
Picture.jpg (254.29 KiB) Viewed 798 times
BeddiRap

Post by BeddiRap »

Same with this too 😎
Attachments
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (220.19 KiB) Viewed 798 times
Woonetic

Post by Woonetic »

Omg dont touch clutch to change gear easy after that
Fielddo

Post by Fielddo »

Shunter at buyitdirect, proper cool looks freshly restore… I used to work there and thought it was amazing
JamiKino

Post by JamiKino »

Just like many of the older drivers don't have a clue how to do a manual entry or connect a phone to the Bluetooth in their cab. If those gearboxes were still common then the new drivers would have learned how to use them.
Adriango

Post by Adriango »

JamiKino wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:24 pm Just like many of the older drivers don't have a clue how to do a manual entry or connect a phone to the Bluetooth in their cab. If those gearboxes were still common then the new drivers would have learned how to use them.
Twin splitter. Beautiful gearbox once you got used to it
KyleWiz

Post by KyleWiz »

Nothing like an ERF used to drive them for panic link
Piollan

Post by Piollan »

Oh wow look at me I can do an Eaton splitter I'm so superior.
Most you guys stuck with this outdated tech wouldn't cope in a modern truck with all its features so wrap up trying to make put your better than the next man/woman because you have a manual gear box
Danhut

Post by Danhut »

Back in my day we used a horse and cart 🤣🤣
Markella

Post by Markella »

Ffs, that's in better nick than 99 9% of our fleet!
Jonzen18

Post by Jonzen18 »

Markella wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:34 pm Ffs, that's in better nick than 99 9% of our fleet!
Blinking 100% you mean...
Neillioni

Post by Neillioni »

That's clean for a shunter what a shame and a proper gearbox
Garydo

Post by Garydo »

I think it's disgraceful that you can take hgv test in an auto and still drive a manual I know times change but if all you have been taught is auto it's stupid and dangerous to go out in a manual as you will not be focusing on the road as for the Eaton twin split it's only hard work if you don't know it 😉
JJamield6

Post by JJamield6 »

Garydo wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:38 pm I think it's disgraceful that you can take hgv test in an auto and still drive a manual I know times change but if all you have been taught is auto it's stupid and dangerous to go out in a manual as you will not be focusing on the road as for the Eaton twin split it's only hard work if you don't know it 😉
I would love my students to do their training in a manual, but the requirement changed a good few years ago now with the authorities citing "the lack of availability of suitable vehicles" as the reason for the change. Since the vast majority of training vehicles are ex-haulage vehicles and most fleets are now auto, they reasoning is valid.
Garydo

Post by Garydo »

JJamield6 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:38 pm
Garydo wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:38 pm I think it's disgraceful that you can take hgv test in an auto and still drive a manual I know times change but if all you have been taught is auto it's stupid and dangerous to go out in a manual as you will not be focusing on the road as for the Eaton twin split it's only hard work if you don't know it 😉
I would love my students to do their training in a manual, but the requirement changed a good few years ago now with the authorities citing "the lack of availability of suitable vehicles" as the reason for the change. Since the vast majority of training vehicles are ex-haulage vehicles and most fleets are now auto, they reasoning is valid.
so cars will go the same way soon
Garydo

Post by Garydo »

and people die as new drivers struggle with a manual box on our roads 😒
JJamield6

Post by JJamield6 »

Garydo wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:39 pm
and people die as new drivers struggle with a manual box on our roads 😒
Currently there are numerous manual cars available, so it isn't going to happen anytime soon, but it wouldn't surprise me if manual tests do eventually become a thing of the past.
I've never driven an electric vehicle, but am I correct in thinking these only have "Stop" and "Go" pedals?
Charmax

Post by Charmax »

And judging by the reverse,, neither as the driver🤣
Robbox

Post by Robbox »

this could be the Gaffers if t time stop taking it to bits 😁
Rickyri

Post by Rickyri »

Robbox wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:42 pm this could be the Gaffers if t time stop taking it to bits 😁
mate he needs to do it in our colours and we can take it to the truck show 😀
Andreup

Post by Andreup »

Many a tune played till you cracked it
Shaunel

Post by Shaunel »

I learned to drive in one of these lol before I had any license of any kind
Johnaro

Post by Johnaro »

Did my truck licence in oz with 18sp road ranger 6 yrs ago.
LeeQuay

Post by LeeQuay »

it’s Donnellys yellow peril!! 😂😂
Terrilla

Post by Terrilla »

Learned to drive in one.. there was some crunching and grinding for a few months🤣
EdwaNeo

Post by EdwaNeo »

Isn't that jcb brit European
Cartero

Post by Cartero »

Can't beat the fight with the Eaton split and remembering what gear u was in pulling up a hill,😂😂
Darrincy

Post by Darrincy »

‘Modern’ drivers shouldn't have any idea what to do with it, its not a modern device.
Philify

Post by Philify »

Not every driver could use a splitter...but everyone can use and auto!!
Kylerics

Post by Kylerics »

I'm not even sure what it is, is it the same as crash box?
Carleso

Post by Carleso »

Bring them back all-day long
Allanster

Post by Allanster »

I do a same as this one but in blue in colour, 3/4 mile from my depot
AllenMc

Post by AllenMc »

That's good to see. My first unit was an ERF back in 93.. she was an old girl then with no radio. My first lorry before that was an old Scammell tipper.. she was hard to drive. I dont even know the name of the gear box but I cried once or twice using it lol.. drivers nowadays don't know how lucky they are.. blah blah blah...
Ramoney

Post by Ramoney »

This was what i used tk rock about in. As good as it could be, it was also an absolute pain in the arse to drive sometimes. 😂
Attachments
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (81.5 KiB) Viewed 683 times
Currient67

Post by Currient67 »

I new the Eton .. it was a pain out the road as well in the yard.
Lloydon

Post by Lloydon »

What’s a Eaton splitter ???
Richium

Post by Richium »

I could drive that with my eyes closed within seconds of sitting on seat
Levinex22

Post by Levinex22 »

Is this the one at buy it direct Huddersfield ?
Ionutio

Post by Ionutio »

That ERF was the 4 wheeler at Express Chilled Distribution, formerly called Blakes in Alcester.
JCB also have two other ERF that are EX- Express originally blue, but they had a full restoration.
KyleWiz

Post by KyleWiz »

When the brand new to the industry driver in the 70's and 80's had these trucks for the very first time, they didn't know either. It's called learning.
Laurezen

Post by Laurezen »

There’s a reason ERF are no more. They were crap
Johnaro

Post by Johnaro »

If you can't find em, grind em.
Gee4me

Post by Gee4me »

Yesteryear gearbox lol I've heard all about by the fossils that I work with lol
EdReady

Post by EdReady »

Just bang the range selector up once you are in top gear (4th) in the gear box and then goto 5th gear which was the first gear when you started.
Next you be telling us young guys we don’t know what t do with a women when we get one in our hands lol!
Yoggarc

Post by Yoggarc »

EdReady wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:40 pm Just bang the range selector up once you are in top gear (4th) in the gear box and then goto 5th gear which was the first gear when you started.
Next you be telling us young guys we don’t know what t do with a women when we get one in our hands lol!
I’d love to see that done in this but I’m sure your just taking the p
Smilind

Post by Smilind »

Same as my first unit, played every tune on that gearbox for the first 2 weeks then loved it.

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”