An operator applying for a Restricted PSV operator's licence has been told by a caseworker that he can't use

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Admin5

An operator applying for a Restricted PSV operator's licence has been told by a caseworker that he can't use

Post by Admin5 »

An operator applying for a Restricted PSV operator's licence has been told by a caseworker that he can't use a limited company that hasn't been trading to apply for a Restricted PSV licence even though it was formed a year ago. He has another limited company that he uses for a different business and he was told to use that company instead. But he would prefer to use the first one. I've never heard anything like that. Does that make any sense and have you seen anything like that in written guidance? Thanks.
Roryland

Re: An operator applying for a Restricted PSV operator's licence has been told by a caseworker that he can't use

Post by Roryland »

Has one of the directors had issues?
Admin5

Re: An operator applying for a Restricted PSV operator's licence has been told by a caseworker that he can't use

Post by Admin5 »

Roryland wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:21 pm Has one of the directors had issues?
No, it's the same and only director in both companies and there are no other issues with the application.
Griffou

Post by Griffou »

Could be the nature of LTD company business
Admin5

Post by Admin5 »

Griffou wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:22 pm Could be the nature of LTD company business
The first company's nature of business is:
49390 - Other passenger land transport
The second:
56103 - Take-away food shops and mobile food stands
Paullace

Post by Paullace »

Admin5 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:23 pm
Griffou wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:22 pm Could be the nature of LTD company business
The second:
how can a limited company that does passenger transport claim that the o license is not for the full time job? It should be a standard license, surely?
Ovidiumi

Post by Ovidiumi »

Paullace wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:23 pm
The second:
how can a limited company that does passenger transport claim that the o license is not for the full time job? It should be a standard license, surely?
The company did not trade, as follows from the question, but intended to start.
Paullace

Post by Paullace »

Ovidiumi wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:24 pm

The second:
if it doesn’t trade, then how can the mini bus be a secondary occupation. The exact reason it’s been declined.
Ovidiumi

Post by Ovidiumi »

Paullace wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:25 pm

if it doesn’t trade, then how can the mini bus be a secondary occupation. The exact reason it’s been declined.
If that take away company did not trade, it could have in the future plans to start trading, with secondary occupation.
Paullace

Post by Paullace »

Ovidiumi wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:25 pm

If that take away company did not trade, it could have in the future plans to start trading, with secondary occupation.
if any company doesn’t trade then applied for a restricted license, by default the psv activities would be the main occupation.
Ovidiumi

Post by Ovidiumi »

if any company doesn’t trade then applied for a restricted license, by default the psv activities would be the main occupation.
According to this guide https://www.siccode.co.uk/sic2007/code-49390 there can be so many different types of businesses which are not necessarily pcv, and won't require a pcv o license. I do not argue with you or say that your logic is wrong but can you imagine a situation when I do not trade and I plan to open a network of take away food places and I plan to have a restricted o license to take people to work there? Even I do not trade I do not feel like there is something wrong in planning these activities to happen. In this case, it would be unfair to refuse a restricted license application. However, if the untrading company is pcv you are 100% right.
Paullace

Post by Paullace »

Ovidiumi wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:27 pm

According to this guide https://www.siccode.co.uk/sic2007/code-49390 there can be so many different types of businesses which are not necessarily pcv, and won't require a pcv o license. I do not argue with you or say that your logic is wrong but can you imagine a situation when I do not trade and I plan to open a network of take away food places and I plan to have a restricted o license to take people to work there? Even I do not trade I do not feel like there is something wrong in planning these activities to happen. In this case, it would be unfair to refuse a restricted license application. However, if the untrading company is pcv you are 100% right.
so start the takeaways then apply for the license. It sounds like your a while from needing it yet anyway as the core business hasn’t started trading.
But on the other hand if it’s just to transport staff then surely no license is needed anyway as it’s not for hire or reward…
Ovidiumi

Post by Ovidiumi »

Paullace wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:27 pm
Ovidiumi wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:27 pm

so start the takeaways then apply for the license. It sounds like your a while from needing it yet anyway as the core business hasn’t started trading.
But on the other hand if it’s just to transport staff then surely no license is needed anyway as it’s not for hire or reward…
Not my business but I find the question interesting.
Admin5

Post by Admin5 »

So they want him to use the "take-away food" company to reapply.
Griffou

Post by Griffou »

Admin5 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:28 pm
So they want him to use the "take-away food" company to reapply.
wouldn't of thought that would be granted, very difficult to get a restricted PCV now due to the amount of fraudulent activities and misuse
Rayater

Post by Rayater »

A restricted licence is only available to be a lesser part of a business - if the first company has not traded then operating the vehicle(s) would automatically become the primary business. It does not help that the classification would seem to have been selected to reflect that intention.
It is based on THE business not the director
Dalysion

Post by Dalysion »

Can't be main job!
Apply in the other companies name and declare that the operation of a bus will not be their main source of income and will be lower than turn over of main company.
Alanterr

Post by Alanterr »

The restricted O licence is intended for a manufacturer to deliver their own goods, or for example a scaffolder to carry their equipment, by separating the transport into a separate company, it becomes a general haulage contractor to the other company.
Paullace

Post by Paullace »

Alanterr wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:30 pm The restricted O licence is intended for a manufacturer to deliver their own goods, or for example a scaffolder to carry their equipment, by separating the transport into a separate company, it becomes a general haulage contractor to the other company.
that’s hgv. This is psv. It’s intended for someone to operate 2 16 seaters as a part time job.
just on a weekend, for example.

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”