So, I did this today, was being guided in by someone who didn’t see the post and obviously neither did I. I’ve only

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Beatonex

Re: So, I did this today, was being guided in by someone who didn’t see the post and obviously neither did I. I’ve only

Post by Beatonex »

Depends who you work for but no company can bill you for repairs they have insurance!
Allisons

Re: So, I did this today, was being guided in by someone who didn’t see the post and obviously neither did I. I’ve only

Post by Allisons »

Accidents happen don’t matter if you have been driving 20 years accidents happen good luck mate 👍they have insurance for a purpose
Nickzin

Post by Nickzin »

Unfortunately mate it'll never be seen as the banksmans fault. It's minor, most companies won't be too hard on you, especially as you're a new driver. Just chalk it down to experience and move on. You'll feel like crap for a few days but I bet there's not a driver on here that's done something similar at some point.
Ocaddefo

Post by Ocaddefo »

Never ever trust a non HGV driver. Treat them all like idiots. Because they have no idea about trucks.
Emzllume

Post by Emzllume »

It could of been worse don't lose sleep over it. Your a new driver so they'll understand just be more careful next time. If your not sure get out and look at your surroundings don't always trust others.
LeeCoo

Post by LeeCoo »

Mate don't you worry your pretty self I did this on my first week using a 50ft rear steer trailer and pretty much ripped off the front end, just got told to not worry accidents happen
Attachments
Picture.jpg
Picture.jpg (305.24 KiB) Viewed 333 times
Coffeyen

Post by Coffeyen »

I have had similar with a wing mirror. Honesty is the best policy. My employer was very understanding especially as I am a new driver too. I wouldn’t expect anything bad to be honest
Edgerril

Post by Edgerril »

Accident happens its only plastic
Pauixre

Post by Pauixre »

Banksmans fault and never pay any repaired bill its call insurance, you might get a bit of a rollicking but hey ho lesson learned trust no one
Davirgic41

Post by Davirgic41 »

expect to never hear the end of it from your workmates lol ..................
Jayices30

Post by Jayices30 »

All good advice....but that's a 66 plate so send your company an invoice for £2000 for making you drive and old truck! Just tell them it's to cover the mental anguish. Follow me for more employment advice!!!
JonnyV2

Post by JonnyV2 »

Hope that everything will work out well for you Rick
KaMandir

Post by KaMandir »

I was on day 1.5 and reversed into a car. They just put it down to bad luck and said be more aware of your surroundings.
TheFlow

Post by TheFlow »

No worries you'll forget about it in a few days, but you'll laugh at it in a year! BUT the most important lesson to learn is NEVER TRUST ANYONE which means if they're watching the left side you pay attention on your right hand side, if they're watching your back you should pay attention to your front end and opposite! Always pay attention to the opposite side when someone's helping you 😉
SSuecorp

Post by SSuecorp »

Buy the two parts and change em
DerekkBe

Post by DerekkBe »

Well done everyone for giving good responses for once no stupid comments
Bahancell

Post by Bahancell »

Easily done, too busy watching banksman who should be guiding you. Hope they accept that it's just lack of experience accident, and not hard on you.
ConnoMj

Post by ConnoMj »

Expect to be beaten with sticks
Alexxon

Post by Alexxon »

Accident happens pal, don't worry much about it..
Webben

Post by Webben »

It’s easily done even for experienced drivers , hold your hands up 🙌 say sorry my mistake! any descent firm will just fix it and say nothing more about it.
DavNicer

Post by DavNicer »

I did this with a post box, same scenario. Was being "guided" back into a side road heard shouting "WOAH WOAH WOAH" and then crunch.... I never saw it coming!
I didn't actually notice the marks till Monday morning (happened on Friday and was off the weekend) told the boss straight away and he said if I get some t cut it'll be forgotten about... bottom pic was after an hour of polishing 😉 boss then joked there's another 280 trucks to do... haha!
Attachments
Picture.jpg
Picture.jpg (122.71 KiB) Viewed 316 times
Mikell22

Post by Mikell22 »

A slap wrist and that’s it, no company should make you pay for repair to a truck and if you any person expects you to pay for damage tell them to stick their job up there @rse
Peterra

Post by Peterra »

Just a boot in the balls should be sufficient
Kirbygg

Post by Kirbygg »

Company has insurance/ workshop. Accidents do happen. Sure you be fine.
Simonie

Post by Simonie »

Was it a banksman guiding you or member of public?
McKeowin

Post by McKeowin »

Same as me you're a new driver, they'll expect stuff like this to happen and go easy on you. My gaffer said if I messed up just tell him as till be easier to sort, no point shouting it screaming about it as it won't change anything
Chrismo

Post by Chrismo »

All part of the learning process.
😎😎😎
Mitchein

Post by Mitchein »

Accidents happen fella.....no died.....ya just feel a lot worse than truck looks.....new day tomorrow 😉
PattShay

Post by PattShay »

There's probably at most £200 quids worth of damage. So they won't bother with insurance claim. Our firm pays a, no damage bonus, if you damage your truck, you lose it for that week. Realistically bosses know that damage happens now and again. Given the mileages covered it's almost an inevitability. Providing it doesn't become habitual, they won't sack you. The cost of replacing you is expensive, believe me.
DarryZee

Post by DarryZee »

Depends on the terms of your employment fill in an accident report and wait for the outcome is all you can do
Davintex40

Post by Davintex40 »

Never ever trust someone else, check, check and check again that all is clear, your boss won't be interested.

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”