Hello all Does anyone really work as Transport managers without the qualifications at all? Talking about people like

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Gaynoriz95

Hello all Does anyone really work as Transport managers without the qualifications at all? Talking about people like

Post by Gaynoriz95 »

Hello all,
So I have been following this forum for a while now and only noticed that people are looking for transport managers nationally or internationally qualified. Does anyone really work as Transport managers without the qualifications at all? Talking about people like me (or am I the only one) who is not willing to take the test, but have experience and looking for this type of job within the sector. Thanks in advance
Cassellis

Re: Hello all Does anyone really work as Transport managers without the qualifications at all? Talking about people like

Post by Cassellis »

You need the certificate to satisfy the TC, secondly why wouldn't you take the exam if you have the experience. The exams are £100 and take 1 day to do.
JimmyBe

Re: Hello all Does anyone really work as Transport managers without the qualifications at all? Talking about people like

Post by JimmyBe »

Cassellis wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:14 pm You need the certificate to satisfy the TC, secondly why wouldn't you take the exam if you have the experience. The exams are £100 and take 1 day to do.
the exams are very different to real-world experience though.
Anyone who could go in stone cold and pass the exams would be a rarity!
PaulMc

Post by PaulMc »

JimmyBe wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:15 pm
Cassellis wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:14 pm You need the certificate to satisfy the TC, secondly why wouldn't you take the exam if you have the experience. The exams are £100 and take 1 day to do.
I studied and passed my ops cpc when I was 16! Can be done.
Then after only ever working as a hgv driver passed my pcv exam at 27.
JimmyBe

Post by JimmyBe »

PaulMc wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:15 pm
you would be the exception rather than the rule, and in my experience as a trainer, youngsters fare much better in the exams than those of more mature years; largely because they are still in the right mindset to study having recently been in full-time education.
Out of interest, which year did you gain your Road Haulage qualification? There have been significant changes to the exams in recent years.
Cassellis

Post by Cassellis »

JimmyBe wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:16 pm

you would be the exception rather than the rule, and in my experience as a trainer, youngsters fare much better in the exams than those of more mature years; largely because they are still in the right mindset to study having recently been in full-time education.
Out of interest, which year did you gain your Road Haulage qualification? There have been significant changes to the exams in recent years.
I did, I bought a couple of books and spent about an hour a night revising for 4 weeks.
Passed first time, and the only knowledge I really had was the driving hours from being a driver for many years.
Cassellis

Post by Cassellis »

I done it in Dec 2021, I am 48.
I cannot remember if the exams were £100 for both or £100 each.
PaulMc

Post by PaulMc »

perhaps re read the thread.
I passed in 1999 and 2009. I’m well aware the exams have changed and are now tougher.
I’m considering re taking the psv as I only ever did national.
JimmyBe

Post by JimmyBe »

PaulMc wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:17 pm

perhaps re read the thread.
I passed in 1999 and 2009. I’m well aware the exams have changed and are now tougher.
I’m considering re taking the psv as I only ever did national.
apologies, I've replied to the wrong person! Will see what I can do to edit my comment 🙂
JimmyBe

Post by JimmyBe »

Cassellis wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:17 pm

so you did invest a little more than one day and £100 then? 😉
JimmyBe

Post by JimmyBe »

Cassellis wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:17 pm

exact cost depends on which exam board and which "learning partner" puts the entry in for you, but it would be a fair bit more than £100 for both.
Boarctin

Post by Boarctin »

are you sure about the price? I paid more for a re fresher course last Jan
Cassellis

Post by Cassellis »

Boarctin wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:19 pm
a refresher course will include class room learning, I literally only paid for the exams. Turned up on the day and took them.
JimmyBe

Post by JimmyBe »

Cassellis wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:19 pm
Boarctin wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:19 pm
a refresher course will include class room learning, I literally only paid for the exams. Turned up on the day and took them.
SEGA charge £125 for the exam fee alone.
Most training centres will put an admin fee on top to cover the costs of you occupying one of their spaces on an exam session.
LukeBull

Post by LukeBull »

On my course there were the odd people who already were TC but didn't have the qualification.
Felt like they just had a title because their knowledge was really lacking.
Keninfo

Post by Keninfo »

You can not be a transport manager without your CPC the traffic Commissioner through the book at ya
Porteam

Post by Porteam »

Unless you’re operating a restricted licence
Keanity22

Post by Keanity22 »

Had a transport manager in Safeway who did not have a cpc, but 4 of us supervisors had a freight national, and I also had the passengers national cpc at the time. Have the 2 international ones and the Dcpc now as well. He eventually had to sit the exam 3 times before passing it
Mckayer

Post by Mckayer »

I do a transport manager role but don’t have the qualification yet but I have passed case study just need to pass multi choice.
Jonathin

Post by Jonathin »

I can’t see why you can’t go under someone as long as you have someone qualified over you like supervising you so effectively you are working for tm not the company. Like a plumber he has loads of workers working on boilers but none of them can sign off the gas certificate only he can
TMexperts

Post by TMexperts »

Hold up people, getting a couple of wires crossed here.
On a restricted licence, under certain conditions, a TM is not needed. But if using a TM they definitely must be qualified.
There are three paths to qualifying; one is via the TMCPC exam, the other is via "grandfather rights", the third is by having a higher level appropriate qualification which covers the Level 3 TMCPC.
If the TC finds out a TM is not qualified, the business and the TM will suffer the consequences...
Bluecorn

Post by Bluecorn »

Mckayer wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:25 pm I do a transport manager role but don’t have the qualification yet but I have passed case study just need to pass multi choice.
Is that where someone with the COC is named on the lucence or is it with a restricted lucence?

Lots of people do the Job Title “transport manager” without a qualification, that’s fine. The qualification is only required when the TM is named in the licence.
I’ve not checked but the lines of address be on a restricted licence and no qualified TM required. Albeit done are as a matter of company policy

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”