Hi When taking on a new operator where do you get the tacho reader and driver download reader is there anything else

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Leongo

Hi When taking on a new operator where do you get the tacho reader and driver download reader is there anything else

Post by Leongo »

Hi, When taking on a new operator where do you get the tacho reader and driver download reader is there anything else needed?
Thank you in advance
Rogerei

Re: Hi When taking on a new operator where do you get the tacho reader and driver download reader is there anything else

Post by Rogerei »

The operator should have their own VDU downloader and card reader and the card reader needs to be accessible to the drivers.
A ETM will or may have their own but this is usually used as a back up or when an issue may arise.
The operator must have a company card and in some cases they may have additional company cards so then you as the ETM can have your own card for when needed.
If you are just starting out, don't worry if you haven't got downloading equipment of your own, just make sure the operator has the equipment and you buy your own when finances allow👍
Leongo

Re: Hi When taking on a new operator where do you get the tacho reader and driver download reader is there anything else

Post by Leongo »

Rogerei wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:01 pm The operator should have their own VDU downloader and card reader and the card reader needs to be accessible to the drivers.
A ETM will or may have their own but this is usually used as a back up or when an issue may arise.
The operator must have a company card and in some cases they may have additional company cards so then you as the ETM can have your own card for when needed.
If you are just starting out, don't worry if you haven't got downloading equipment of your own, just make sure the operator has the equipment and you buy your own when finances allow👍
thought I would have to fork out all this equipment before even earning so thank you for clarifying that for me. I would just need to register to a software to keep the drivers data and check the infringement ,any recommendations on a app?
Rogerei

Post by Rogerei »

Leongo wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:02 pm
Rogerei wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:01 pm The operator should have their own VDU downloader and card reader and the card reader needs to be accessible to the drivers.
thought I would have to fork out all this equipment before even earning so thank you for clarifying that for me. I would just need to register to a software to keep the drivers data and check the infringement ,any recommendations on a app?
The operator should have their own tachograph software or tachograph analyzing company anyway, you as an ETM just need login details so you can access the records.
If they don't have anything 🙈 then I can recommend Trutac but this is something that the operator will have in the business name and pay for so another expense you don't need to worry about👍
Leongo

Post by Leongo »

Rogerei wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:02 pm
The operator should have their own tachograph software or tachograph analyzing company anyway, you as an ETM just need login details so you can access the records.
If they don't have anything 🙈 then I can recommend Trutac but this is something that the operator will have in the business name and pay for so another expense you don't need to worry about👍
Understood, I think alot of new operators don't know this and just assume ETM come with everything included and then wanna pay peanuts for the services 😒
Rogerei

Post by Rogerei »

Leongo wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:03 pm

Understood, I think alot of new operators don't know this and just assume ETM come with everything included and then wanna pay peanuts for the services 😒
I forgot, you won't really have an app as tachograph analyzing companies have a portal that you usually access via a computer (a phone is too small) and you require a login for yourself 👍
Leongo

Post by Leongo »

Rogerei wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:03 pm

I forgot, you won't really have an app as tachograph analyzing companies have a portal that you usually access via a computer (a phone is too small) and you require a login for yourself 👍
fair enough it would need to be computer accessible thank you, very informative really appreciate the guidance
Have a nice weekend 😊
Rogerei

Post by Rogerei »

Leongo wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:04 pm

fair enough it would need to be computer accessible thank you, very informative really appreciate the guidance
Have a nice weekend 😊
If the operator has read his undertakings that they signed up to and has read and understood their obligations, they should know what they must do.
Most are ignorant and just want the wheels turning and put compliance to the bottom of pile 🤷
Totally wrong attitude and that is why most with this attitude, fail big time👍
Rogerei

Post by Rogerei »

Rogerei wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:04 pm
Leongo wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:04 pm

Have a nice weekend 😊
If the operator has read his undertakings that they signed up to and has read and understood their obligations, they should know what they must do.
Most are ignorant and just want the wheels turning and put compliance to the bottom of pile 🤷
Totally wrong attitude and that is why most with this attitude, fail big time👍
Here to help so just ask and thank you, I'm in Scotland winter climbing/walking all this week so I'll be enjoying the break🤣
Hope you have a great weekend too 😁
Pauland

Post by Pauland »

The responsibility for downloading the VU and drivers cards is for the operator not you.
Your responsibility is to make sure it’s done as required and the data is analyzed.
Leongo

Post by Leongo »

Pauland wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:05 pm The responsibility for downloading the VU and drivers cards is for the operator not you.
Your responsibility is to make sure it’s done as required and the data is analyzed.
Thank you for clarifying that, will pass on the information.do you have any recommended app to use to store the data and would I have to pay for the software?
Alinewo

Post by Alinewo »

Leongo wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:06 pm
Pauland wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:05 pm The responsibility for downloading the VU and drivers cards is for the operator not you.
Thank you for clarifying that, will pass on the information.do you have any recommended app to use to store the data and would I have to pay for the software?
I always ask my clients to use Tachomaster (unless they are established and are using something else suitable) and a Digidown+
Leongo

Post by Leongo »

Alinewo wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:06 pm
Leongo wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:06 pm
I always ask my clients to use Tachomaster (unless they are established and are using something else suitable) and a Digidown+
Thank you will pass on the info
Keencell

Post by Keencell »

Whilst operators need the systems in place you need to be able to access all their data held on computers including remote access to the system.
Billient

Post by Billient »

Or better still get the operator to get remote download capability installed. You can monitor the drivers hours much closer and respond to any infringement
Lainech

Post by Lainech »

I’m a little different to others ….. my guys all use the system I request (rha/trutac) and I do all card and vehicle downloads. I’m a bit of a control freak so I like to know it’s done and I’m visiting weekly anyway so it makes sense to me.
You do what’s right or you 👌🏼
Leongo

Post by Leongo »

Lainech wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:12 pm I’m a little different to others ….. my guys all use the system I request (rha/trutac) and I do all card and vehicle downloads. I’m a bit of a control freak so I like to know it’s done and I’m visiting weekly anyway so it makes sense to me.
You do what’s right or you 👌🏼
it's always easier to get all on the same system. it's my first operator so planning to start with one system and use it with future clients moving forward. Also will be doing the weekly visit so its not a problem downloading the data. Just need to inform the operator they will be paying for the equipment and guide them to correct one. Thank you for the advice

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”