Hello everyone I am just wondering how difficult is to became a HGV1 driver with UK licence in the USA or Canada and

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Allexci88

Hello everyone I am just wondering how difficult is to became a HGV1 driver with UK licence in the USA or Canada and

Post by Allexci88 »

Hello everyone, I am just wondering how difficult is to became a HGV1 driver with UK licence in the USA or Canada, and if it worth it, any experience or info is welcome, thanks.
Jonatter

Re: Hello everyone I am just wondering how difficult is to became a HGV1 driver with UK licence in the USA or Canada and

Post by Jonatter »

If I’m not mistaken in America/Canada it’s called a CDL licence I think. Either way would be interesting to know the in’s and outs of it
Narayer

Re: Hello everyone I am just wondering how difficult is to became a HGV1 driver with UK licence in the USA or Canada and

Post by Narayer »

Jonatter wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:38 pm If I’m not mistaken in America/Canada it’s called a CDL licence I think. Either way would be interesting to know the in’s and outs of it
you have to retake the test ✔
Azeemo

Post by Azeemo »

Some companies can do conversion course. My instructor said If I want to move to USA conversion course is the answer. Who you with?
Donater

Post by Donater »

Azeemo wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:39 pm Some companies can do conversion course. My instructor said If I want to move to USA conversion course is the answer. Who you with?
You have to pass again plus training with Brakes
Azeemo

Post by Azeemo »

Donater wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:47 pm
Azeemo wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:39 pm Some companies can do conversion course. My instructor said If I want to move to USA conversion course is the answer. Who you with?
You have to pass again plus training with Brakes
ah ok
Ionutix

Post by Ionutix »

Easy! Just don’t tell them you’ve been driving for Stobart 🤣🫢
Kamrance

Post by Kamrance »

Tonych wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:50 pm Drive for swift
have they go any trailers left 😂😂😂
Tonych

Post by Tonych »

Kamrance wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:50 pm
swift keep truck and trailer companies in business. I'm from UK and even I know their reputation for hiring mong jobs.
Jodyne

Post by Jodyne »

Swift are UK stobbart 😄
Kamrance

Post by Kamrance »

Jodyne wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:51 pm
Swift are UK stobbart 😄
😂😂😂😂
Ianarch

Post by Ianarch »

For Canada you’ll need to find a company that has available LMIA visas and there’s very few out there at the moment that being said there are one or two if your not fusy who you work for, you’ll then have to apply, be interviewed and have an assessment in the good old eaten twin split manual trucks if you pass that you’ll more than likely be offered a job if you have no criminal record that is, then you have to apply for a work visa you’ll need the job offer and the LMIA for that they usually get issued for either 12 or 24 months now after you’ve been there @ 6 months you can apply for PR (Permanent Residency) that’s more costs and not by any means guaranteed, once you get PR status you are free to leave the company you started working for and you can move on, if you choose to do cross boarder into the USA from Canada you can not apply for Citizenship as to do that you need to be in Canada due to rule changes, all that and you’ll earn an average of around @43c per mile you’ll be expected to do a minimum of @ 600 miles a day and depending what company you work for and if you choose to do cross border or not then you’ll be away up to 6 weeks or more at a time far less if you choose domestic Canada only.
As for the US it’s completely different you’ll need to find a company that will sponsor you there’s not many that will do it for U.K. drivers but if you do then you’ll need a working visa there’s little or no chance of you ever getting citizenship though it’s not unheard of if you have enough money 😂😂 your problem is your wife and kids if you have any because they can’t work and when your kids turn 21 their on their own if they can’t obtain their own visas then they leave the country if your single then no issues and fastest way to citizenship is find a US gal to marry !! Again company drivers are paid an average of @40c a mile again you’ll be expected to do 600 miles a day and wait for it you could be away for 6 months or more if you go tramping I know people who run team in the US and are only home at Thanksgiving and Christmas and that’s it but they make good money but live in the truck.
As for the actual CDL tests their not hard you’ve just gotta be confident in an old manual gearbox 👍🏻 good luck any questions feel free to DM me
Richwett

Post by Richwett »

Check out wee Yorkshireman trucking on you tube he’s out there and done a few videos on moving and driving in the USA
Bryanillo

Post by Bryanillo »

You have to take your test again as you drive B-trains 3 artic trailers at a time!! I lived in Calgary for 5 years 6 months winter -50c I survived lol
Jonatter

Post by Jonatter »

Longer distance, bigger roads, easier to drive as the roads are wider, it's 3.5meters not 2.7 like here in UK, but big long hauls
KingJr

Post by KingJr »

As they drive on the right side of the road you can obtain a full licence in Europe and that will allow you to drive in America or Canada
Danicin

Post by Danicin »

Drove in the USA for many years in the early 2000’s
6 weeks at a time living in the truck, it’s great in the beginning but believe me the novelty wears off.. Although the trucks look better there they’re actually all drum brakes and cheap and nasty inside.
Paid per mile rather than what we have in the UK.
My advice would be stay home and enjoy sleeping in your bed 👍
Danicin

Post by Danicin »

Quickest way to get a visa is marry a American or have immediate family members already living in USA who can sponsor you.. You’ll need certain vaccinations & your education won’t count their either so you’ll need to take a G.E.D test (Government Equivalent Diploma)
Don’t expect anything to happen quickly, depending on what state you’re thinking of residing it can take upwards of 6 months.. The idea is better to flirt with. Why not go over as a tourist, rent a car and drive from east to west a couple times. You’ll be blown away in the beginning then bored out of your scull after a couple weeks ✌️

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”