Question. Why on a slip road does traffic coming onto motorway, dual carriageway think its their right of way? Had

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Scottom

Re: Question. Why on a slip road does traffic coming onto motorway, dual carriageway think its their right of way? Had

Post by Scottom »

I think we all need to be courteous to each other to keep the roads flowing. If you can move over do so.if you don't think they'll make it let them in. To slip down a little is better than two hours exchanging details and waiting for police. Just because the other drivers in the wrong on a technicality isn't a reason to crash into them! Ffs were meant to be professionals and to add some people harp on that they've NEVER made a misjudgment or mistake when driving.
Scottom

Re: Question. Why on a slip road does traffic coming onto motorway, dual carriageway think its their right of way? Had

Post by Scottom »

But as long as there are vehicles on our roads there will be idiots behind the wheel. Trucks included. I've seen poor driving on both sides and ill hold my hands up I've made a few errors Iver the years too.
PauLike

Post by PauLike »

generally I make a mistake most days, especially when I move over to let another so called professional driver enter the motorway, the the chuffing muppet decides its foot down Friday, and proceeds to leave me hanging in Lane two while he takes a fortnight to out run me, but of course I did the right thing moved over, NOT TURNED OVER, and the so called proffdruvers wonder why we are loathed, can't even be courteous to our own, sorry rant over, I have posted the section from the highway code just for reference, without there being any grey areas as to who should do what and when cheers stay safe out there and play nice 😆
Alimsys

Post by Alimsys »

Carry on drive, your right of way. Just because that fuckwit thinks it's their right of way, doesn't mean it is. End of the day, you are considerably bigger than them, and you should not be slowing there.
Tubbson

Post by Tubbson »

I won’t move over or adjust my speed unless it’s perfectly clear too do so. Cars are fast enough too get in front or have the ability too slow down and over take. Only takes a little car behind you that is completely blind in your mirrors too not be paying attention and go up the rear end if you break or again there is potential for a car too be in a blind spot moving over. Your a big vehicle and movements are slower.
RuffBox

Post by RuffBox »

I'm trying to get my head around the slip road in Preston, think it's J30 M6, north, it starts as 2 lanes, then merges into the left hand lane before you get on the motorway, where normally the outside lane merges before the left hand one. Think someone got the road layout wrong there!?
Isaacor

Post by Isaacor »

You give way to traffic on the carriageway. (Guy who was merging is in the wrong and you should have just carried on)
There's rarely a reason why a car shouldn't be going faster than 56mph before the end of a slip road.
Stevus60

Post by Stevus60 »

Slip roads have a broken white line, same as any other junction with a broken white line.
Khanzo

Post by Khanzo »

Some of the comments here are ridiculous 🤦‍♂️ the fact remains, the vehicle on the motorway has priority regardless of whatever excuses or stunts are pulled by the joining vehicle 🤦‍♂️
Attachments
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (54.2 KiB) Viewed 341 times
Danieel

Post by Danieel »

You shouldn't be thinking for these idiots. Do your own thing, let them learn. Joining traffic should adjust to the traffic already on the carriageway
Jamesto

Post by Jamesto »

Problem we live in a global world. USA some states you give way to people coming on at slip roads some you dont. French and their colonies have priorité a la droit which means you have to let drivers on from side roads.
Laweder

Post by Laweder »

In America it’s a nightmare
And no one moves to give you the other lane!
Over here it’s slower and people are more kind
Aparone

Post by Aparone »

They are supposed to speed up coming of a slip road but many don’t know this.
Jonnan

Post by Jonnan »

Its the vehicle entering the motorway or dual carriageways responsibility to do it safely. They should be doing the correct speed and pick a safe place to enter, if they run out of room, they can, if there is one, use the hard shoulder, or ultimately STOP. If they bully or just push their way out, then it is driving without due care and attention. Common sense tells you, and many of you will have had it,..if TWO people start adjusting speed etc, then its going to go wrong! In europe, the first lane has a solid white line along it at slip roads, so nothing enters or leaves that lane, so at least, what you can see as you approach the motorway stays the same. In real life, it may be an elderly or inexperienced driver joining, so you have to cut them some slack, also, remember the new mantra that we are having to adopt now, "The vehicles that can do the most harm, should take the most care".
Andres

Post by Andres »

That's a daily problem that
Peteris35

Post by Peteris35 »

It’s all down to anticipation and good judgement, we are the professionals and should lead by example
Marken02

Post by Marken02 »

alot of drivers don't now how to enter the motorway. Some of them never got the training
PrPeck

Post by PrPeck »

Technically if you’d have hit him it is his fault, although saying that you’d get your ears chewed because you didn’t take avoiding action when you saw his silly game, ie slowing down a little.
I have had a number of cars drive onto the hard shoulder of a motorway pulling this stunt. No room to move right and expect you to give way. I just carry on, it is after all my road that they are joining so either put your foot down and get in front or hold back and boot it past me when you join. It’s not rocket science 😡😡😡
AnCinqo

Post by AnCinqo »

Be them at fault if they run into you. Up to them to join safely if I can move over I do but then get undertaken which is frustrating
CoCarl

Post by CoCarl »

I wish people would stop referring us wagon drivers as "professional drivers." We are only "professional " when we do something wrong and the authorities can beat us with the " you should know better" stick. At all other times we are bottom of the food chain. Nobody gives a toss about us. You've only got to look at the facilities we have to put up with to see that. People need to realize that if wagon drivers downed tools for a period then the country would come to a sudden stop. We are far more important to this country than we are given credit for. Now, if you don't mind I'd like to climb down off my soap box and there is a pint of Guinness somewhere with my name on it.
Mitchor

Post by Mitchor »

You had a lucky escape that situation could have gone terribly wrong if someone was on the slip road as was in the right hand lane
at busy times from slip roads i mobe to the right hand lane approaching such slip roads and move back in after it pisses mr racing eyebrows of sometimes but generally normal road users see the sense and loose 30 sec of there journey
PrPeck

Post by PrPeck »

Mitchor wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:33 pm You had a lucky escape that situation could have gone terribly wrong if someone was on the slip road as was in the right hand lane
at busy times from slip roads i mobe to the right hand lane approaching such slip roads and move back in after it pisses mr racing eyebrows of sometimes but generally normal road users see the sense and loose 30 sec of there journey
when there’s room to do so, but not always the case, which means those joining need to give way, speed uk to get ahead of the truck or dig back a little and join behind
Mitchor

Post by Mitchor »

PrPeck wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:34 pm
Mitchor wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:33 pm You had a lucky escape that situation could have gone terribly wrong if someone was on the slip road as was in the right hand lane
when there’s room to do so, but not always the case, which means those joining need to give way, speed uk to get ahead of the truck or dig back a little and join behind
total agree but more and more is see older drivers now that just simply don’t get it and cause bad situations like Luke’s had
Davide

Post by Davide »

Move over when u see someone coming along 9 out of of 10 they will go there... many of times I have to keep going including using the hard shoulder because someone can't be be bothered to move or slow down and I can't stop because for me to get going again would be long..
Marcino

Post by Marcino »

Because unfortunately the majority of people in this world are ignorant and f****** selfish not enough considerate people around
Batzinco

Post by Batzinco »

Slip roads are accelerating and deceleration zones nuff said
Vladey

Post by Vladey »

It's different if the carriageway is slow moving due to congestion, or if there's several vehicles within close proximity of each other coming down the slip road together but if it's one car and the carriageway is clear, I maintain my speed.
They are obliged to give way to traffic already on the carriageway, that's me. The way I see it, they can speed up and come out in front of me or they can slow down and come on behind me. Tbh, I'm not too fussed which they do but I maintain my speed. Be being unpredictable can cause an accident. If I slow down and they also slow down, that can cause an accident. I worry about what's in front of me, the onus is on them to be looking if it is safe to join and it's their decision to make. Not my problem
Vladey

Post by Vladey »

Here's a way to make it real simple.
You drive along in the carriageway at a constant speed and do not deviate from your lane.
There's a car alongside you in the slip road.
There is only one way that a collision can occur which involves that car departing from the slip road onto the carriageway where you are.
So they left their lane, entered your lane and hit you.
No matter what way you look at it, it is there fault entirely
Ricllerg

Post by Ricllerg »

Well said— it’s got that bad with drivers like this— I read the new Highway Code!!!!! Drivers on slip roads should get up to speed and giveway!,,
PeteRap

Post by PeteRap »

No your not at fault at all mate

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”