hi guys does anyone know what the best way to plan routes for class one as im looking online and the sat navs all

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Stacend5

hi guys does anyone know what the best way to plan routes for class one as im looking online and the sat navs all

Post by Stacend5 »

hi guys does anyone know what the best way to plan routes for class one as im looking online and the sat navs all seem to be very expensive or subscriptions? any advice would be grateful
all the best
Andeers

Re: hi guys does anyone know what the best way to plan routes for class one as im looking online and the sat navs all

Post by Andeers »

I've been using one of theirs for 2 years with no issues, cost me £103 if i remember rightly, which is cheap enough. Or, an HGV atlas showing low bridges etc. preferably, if you can afford it, get both. 👍
Beaver40

Re: hi guys does anyone know what the best way to plan routes for class one as im looking online and the sat navs all

Post by Beaver40 »

learn to read an atlas
Attachments
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (64.03 KiB) Viewed 471 times
Jakrran

Post by Jakrran »

Tom tom or the sack or loss of license for messing up. £400 well spent
Stacend5

Post by Stacend5 »

Jakrran wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:03 pm Tom tom or the sack or loss of license for messing up. £400 well spent
yes i will be be investing in one but as im new to this i want to make sure i get the best out of it thanks for the help 🙂
Jakrran

Post by Jakrran »

Stacend5 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:03 pm
Jakrran wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:03 pm Tom tom or the sack or loss of license for messing up. £400 well spent
yes i will be be investing in one but as im new to this i want to make sure i get the best out of it thanks for the help 🙂
Newbies need a tom tom way mors than experienced drivers
AliGlover

Post by AliGlover »

You can use free online maps, such as Google Maps or Yandex Maps, to plan first-class routes. These maps allow you to plot routes, stop points, and show the distance between them. They also report traffic and travel time. You can also use apps on your phone, such as MAPS.ME or Waze, which also allow you to build routes and take navigation instructions.
Kiterrin

Post by Kiterrin »

i bought a garmin700... Once i used it... Took me down a nightmare of a street.. Sent it back and saved myself the money
Nadiams

Post by Nadiams »

Tom Tom 6500 life traffic but obviously you have to do some research and have the knowledge of every road. The perfect sat nav doesn't exist, but this one is the best of all. I tried them all.
Good luck!
Jakrran

Post by Jakrran »

Tom tom always buy direct from Tom tom not Halfords amazon etc
RobertBe

Post by RobertBe »

Usually companies have specific route maps ask for one
Jamspio

Post by Jamspio »

RobertBe wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:50 pm Usually companies have specific route maps ask for one
in 38 years no one has given me a route map only destinations
RobertBe

Post by RobertBe »

Jamspio wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:50 pm
RobertBe wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:50 pm Usually companies have specific route maps ask for one
bad company then
Jamspio

Post by Jamspio »

RobertBe wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:50 pm
Jamspio wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:50 pm
bad company then
multiple companies including European destinations
Stuanier

Post by Stuanier »

that’s true for the likes of supermarket deliveries or parcel lads that go to the same places all the time, not so much for everything else
RobertBe

Post by RobertBe »

Stuanier wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:52 pm
that’s true for the likes of supermarket deliveries or parcel lads that go to the same places all the time, not so much for everything else
I use to make maps for whoever I worked for and told drivers to ask for them cause their a life saver if using different height trls
Stuanier

Post by Stuanier »

RobertBe wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:53 pm
I use to make maps for whoever I worked for and told drivers to ask for them cause their a life saver if using different height trls
doesn’t work for tramping because you could be going to the same place from different areas and definitely doesn’t work for what I do on building sites because it’s very rare you get the same place twice
RobertBe

Post by RobertBe »

Stuanier wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:53 pm
RobertBe wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:53 pm

doesn’t work for tramping because you could be going to the same place from different areas and definitely doesn’t work for what I do on building sites because it’s very rare you get the same place twice
lol true you would b surprised at how many people/drivers say thankyou when they find out I've drawn them lol
Natally

Post by Natally »

Only the store delivery companies have specific route plans
Alands

Post by Alands »

All you need is a low bridge map bro, back in 2000 there where no sat navs
Kiterrin

Post by Kiterrin »

Road lords (free app) and goggle maps works for me🙂
LiLouis

Post by LiLouis »

Kiterrin wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:57 pm Road lords (free app) and goggle maps works for me🙂
I also use this but I still plan first as sometimes it can try and use 7.5 ton restricted roads or even ignore the actual more direct route in favour of 3 others 😀
Raddess

Post by Raddess »

Road Lords and a map for backup
Dvorine

Post by Dvorine »

I use the TomTom professional from the app on my Tablet, yes it costs but then I see it as speculate to accumulate
Allane03

Post by Allane03 »

Have a look on eBay that’s where I got my snooper sat Nav
Andyeer

Post by Andyeer »

Get your subscription like the rest of us lad
Richee

Post by Richee »

Road lords app is good and free
ForceUp

Post by ForceUp »

Never seen a truckers atlas that can give live traffic updates and optimise routes to avoid delays! Come on gramps...it's 2023 not 1975...a decent SatNav can save you a fortune and it's an investment that will pay for itself within weeks!
Get yourself a TomTom Go Expert 7...better still a 2nd hand TomTom Go Professional 6250...the 6250 has it's own built in SIM so doesn't need pairing with your phone for live data!
Aledicom

Post by Aledicom »

ForceUp wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:05 pm Never seen a truckers atlas that can give live traffic updates and optimise routes to avoid delays! Come on gramps...it's 2023 not 1975...a decent SatNav can save you a fortune and it's an investment that will pay for itself within weeks!
Get yourself a TomTom Go Expert 7...better still a 2nd hand TomTom Go Professional 6250...the 6250 has it's own built in SIM so doesn't need pairing with your phone for live data!
get it on installments you can get it from Halfords or Amazon
Martonec

Post by Martonec »

Co pilot on I phones are pretty good imo
Steware

Post by Steware »

I have a LGV sat nav (9" screen) for sale ... only £50. I upgraded earlier in year. Can post.
Newallo

Post by Newallo »

Look for Chris Salisbury on Facebook, he sells them at around £100. They are easy to use have all UK & EUROPEAN bridge heights on.
Paularro

Post by Paularro »

Newallo wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:11 pm Look for Chris Salisbury on Facebook, he sells them at around £100. They are easy to use have all UK & EUROPEAN bridge heights on.
I had one for years never did me wrong
Newallo

Post by Newallo »

Paularro wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:18 pm
Newallo wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:11 pm Look for Chris Salisbury on Facebook, he sells them at around £100. They are easy to use have all UK & EUROPEAN bridge heights on.
I had one for 7yrs worked about 99% (nothing is 100%) bought another one last year. So that's about £150 spent over 8yrs, that's what I call good value 👍😁👍
Paularro

Post by Paularro »

Newallo wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:20 pm
Paularro wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:18 pm
I had one for 7yrs worked about 99% (nothing is 100%) bought another one last year. So that's about £150 spent over 8yrs, that's what I call good value 👍😁👍
My boy has mine now certainly good value I think I had 2 in my time
Kitchad

Post by Kitchad »

Road lords can be free or subscription
Laurasy

Post by Laurasy »

Morrison’s 1.99 (standard reply)
Richheal

Post by Richheal »

Roadlords App. It's all I ever use. Have no need of a "better" one. It's absolutely fine and free.
JohnBizz

Post by JohnBizz »

Road lords is free, combine it with checking Google maps for precise locations and your all good
Ricsure

Post by Ricsure »

The expensive sat navs are worth the outlay. I have a Tom tom go expert 7 and it has never missed a beat, live traffic, weight limits, bridge heights etc.
You get what you pay for. (Hopefully not) but one day you will come a cropper against a low bridge or some kind of obstacle and you will be wishing you had made the investment.
Arieller

Post by Arieller »

The best is Sygic Truck. On android mobile. Absolutely the best.
Gawroca

Post by Gawroca »

Road Lords....free HGV app

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”