Anyone here left the trucking industry and moved onto something else that pays a similar wage and for a better

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Tonyen

Re: Anyone here left the trucking industry and moved onto something else that pays a similar wage and for a better

Post by Tonyen »

Leemart wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:42 pm
Tonyen wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:41 pm Yep, auto locksmith
any good mate
will send some tomorrow, with the best person to train with as well.
Liamiro

Re: Anyone here left the trucking industry and moved onto something else that pays a similar wage and for a better

Post by Liamiro »

Tonyen wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:44 pm
any good mate
Also interested
Leemart

Post by Leemart »

any good mate
send me some details lol
Tonyen

Post by Tonyen »

Leemart wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:45 pm

any good mate
send me some details lol
The guy who taught me is the best in the business, his name is Will, and his number is 07971454266 and he sells all the equipment as well, don't be mistaken some of the equipment is expensive, but returns are great. Your see courses for auto locksmiths, there absolutely shite, and a waste of money, William will train you properly so your be able to pick car locks, cut keys and program them to lots of cars, the other courses are like in a class room with others and by the time you leave your lucky if you can pick a lock. Let him know Tony from Eastbourne gave you his number
Phillog

Post by Phillog »

I left driving coaches to spend more time at home, so went driving trucks 🤣😂😂🤣… I now tramp 4/4 and I spend more time at home than I ever have… Great shift pattern
Iannald

Post by Iannald »

You’re going to find it hard to find the same money, even on a bad rate the amount of hours you do plus night out money soon turns it good, is it worth it ? I don’t think so. Family comes first!
Stevend

Post by Stevend »

I left to work on a farm, learnt a lot, less hours in the winter, but crazy more hours in harvest with only time off if wet or nothing ready to cut, then straight in to drilling and still 7 days a week but slightly less hours.
Money was pretty similar to trucking, but after 5 years and just after having our 1st kid I didn't want to do another harvest / drilling, probably averaged 3 months with minimal days off but very weather dependent. At that point the farm bought some trucks, me and a mate came off the farm side and job shared the truck job with working in the feed mill, we still worked harvest as the grain now came from the fields to the store in artics, but it was slightly less hours than harvest on the tractor side and we had nothing to do with the drilling, it worked as a good compromise.
Left that just over 18 months ago to go back full-time driving doing the best job I've had delivering agricultural equipment, with having the farm experience as a massive help in getting this job.
Leemart

Post by Leemart »

Stevend wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:49 pm I left to work on a farm, learnt a lot, less hours in the winter, but crazy more hours in harvest with only time off if wet or nothing ready to cut, then straight in to drilling and still 7 days a week but slightly less hours.
Money was pretty similar to trucking, but after 5 years and just after having our 1st kid I didn't want to do another harvest / drilling, probably averaged 3 months with minimal days off but very weather dependent. At that point the farm bought some trucks, me and a mate came off the farm side and job shared the truck job with working in the feed mill, we still worked harvest as the grain now came from the fields to the store in artics, but it was slightly less hours than harvest on the tractor side and we had nothing to do with the drilling, it worked as a good compromise.
Left that just over 18 months ago to go back full-time driving doing the best job I've had delivering agricultural equipment, with having the farm experience as a massive help in getting this job.
I'm currently on the the grain bulk work like.. love the job tbh
Andrewin

Post by Andrewin »

It's amazing most of these replies saying hard to find work that pays the same as trucking yet if someone sticks a wages based thread up its normally met with folk moaning it's a rubbish wage and we should be going on strike etc
Stevend

Post by Stevend »

Andrewin wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:50 pm It's amazing most of these replies saying hard to find work that pays the same as trucking yet if someone sticks a wages based thread up its normally met with folk moaning it's a rubbish wage and we should be going on strike etc
people are generally meaning the gross, because of the more hours than a lot of other jobs when saying that
Andrewin

Post by Andrewin »

Stevend wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:51 pm
Andrewin wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:50 pm It's amazing most of these replies saying hard to find work that pays the same as trucking yet if someone sticks a wages based thread up its normally met with folk moaning it's a rubbish wage and we should be going on strike etc
people are generally meaning the gross, because of the more hours than a lot of other jobs when saying that
Trucking wages do seem to be all over the place TBF.
Karlicon

Post by Karlicon »

Go construction, pass some courses like 360 digger, forklift, dumper. Better money and not dead end job
Bannexs

Post by Bannexs »

I'm actually thinking about changing to cranes for a slightly less hectic life.
Stevend

Post by Stevend »

Bannexs wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:53 pm I'm actually thinking about changing to cranes for a slightly less hectic life.
don't they usually do big hours unless just doing local work
Linrate

Post by Linrate »

got laid off start of jan, now driving minibuses for council on agy, but handed in application form, moneys not brilliant but jobs def more rewarding, tried it, liked it, after over 40 yrs, I'm after something to retirement, this will do,, but have to admit, was thinking about jacking hgv in anyway!
Robboy

Post by Robboy »

After 30 years on the road I now teach others to drive trucks….why would I waste all that knowledge and experience….a drop in money, sure, but I’m not on a bad salary and my work life balance is so much better.
I’ve lost some weight, mainly because I’m not snacking all the time, and both my mental health and physical has improved. I was involved in an RTA about 16 years ago that has left me with a compressed disc in my neck so, sometimes, I find it difficult to drive for long periods now. Otherwise I’d probably still be driving. This industry is getting much more streamlined, competitive, and more vital to our modern way of life. My advice, if you don’t want to drive anymore, is to diversify into another part of the industry. Take the experience and knowledge you’ve acquired and use it to move the industry forward.
Nathanix

Post by Nathanix »

Robboy wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:56 pm After 30 years on the road I now teach others to drive trucks….why would I waste all that knowledge and experience….a drop in money, sure, but I’m not on a bad salary and my work life balance is so much better.
I’ve lost some weight, mainly because I’m not snacking all the time, and both my mental health and physical has improved. I was involved in an RTA about 16 years ago that has left me with a compressed disc in my neck so, sometimes, I find it difficult to drive for long periods now. Otherwise I’d probably still be driving. This industry is getting much more streamlined, competitive, and more vital to our modern way of life. My advice, if you don’t want to drive anymore, is to diversify into another part of the industry. Take the experience and knowledge you’ve acquired and use it to move the industry forward.
thank you ✔️
Great comment 👍🏻
I'm 27 years in ... and thankfully non serious accident & incident free ...
UK .. European & East European .. USA & Canada 🇨🇦 experience
59 yrs old ... and done with driving ....
As you've said ... I would consider passing on my experience (not going to piss in my own pocket !! But as above)
Any info into being an instructor would be welcome.
Thank you
Robboy

Post by Robboy »

Nathanix wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:58 pm
Robboy wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:56 pm After 30 years on the road I now teach others to drive trucks….why would I waste all that knowledge and experience….a drop in money, sure, but I’m not on a bad salary and my work life balance is so much better.
thank you ✔️
Great comment 👍🏻
I'm 27 years in ... and thankfully non serious accident & incident free ...
UK .. European & East European .. USA & Canada 🇨🇦 experience
59 yrs old ... and done with driving ....
As you've said ... I would consider passing on my experience (not going to piss in my own pocket !! But as above)
Any info into being an instructor would be welcome.
Thank you
pm me mate and we can have a chat about it
Jordom

Post by Jordom »

Left the industry year ago now to start my own window cleaning business and it’s just successfully built from there
Lindent

Post by Lindent »

Left the road and became a transport planner went on to shift manager and now transport manager. You’ll never start on the same wage you have to work your way up
Liamiro

Post by Liamiro »

Lindent wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:02 pm Left the road and became a transport planner went on to shift manager and now transport manager. You’ll never start on the same wage you have to work your way up
How much do transport managers earn realistically please?
Lindent

Post by Lindent »

Liamiro wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:02 pm
Lindent wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:02 pm Left the road and became a transport planner went on to shift manager and now transport manager. You’ll never start on the same wage you have to work your way up
How much do transport managers earn realistically please?
depends where you live anything from 35-60k
Rushdy

Post by Rushdy »

Yep, I'm a self employed deer manager and butcher now. I take people out stalking, and then sell the meat at markets.
Hard work and long hours, but I work for myself.
Batzinco

Post by Batzinco »

Still trucking but instead of tramping I’m on day shift 6 to 6 min to Friday still get home on time to see the kids before bed
Gareesh

Post by Gareesh »

Share the workload with the wife. That's what I do. I work days 10-11 hours back by 3pm, she goes work in the evenings @5pm until 9pm plus some weekends. It works for us as we're both home and between us we make the same money if I was out tramping all week.
You'll never get these years back with your family so take advantage of sharing the workload.
Petell

Post by Petell »

Left driving job and went to uni. Best decision. Bills get paid from other sources.
Leemart

Post by Leemart »

Petell wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:10 pm Left driving job and went to uni. Best decision. Bills get paid from other sources.
👌👌
Georgee

Post by Georgee »

Trying to give it up at 63 with 40 years of experience driving all sizes here, Europe and Canad. Just bought a burger van so only doing a couple of days driving a week while trade builds
Johment

Post by Johment »

Retired 15 yrs ago after the best 45 yrs of my life after a life been a proper lorry driver
Denisor

Post by Denisor »

Driving a taxi good money where I live
Haleyer

Post by Haleyer »

I was a IT manager very good wages 9-5, been on call (i was even on call while my partner was in labour) etc. But got fed up of watching the world go past the window stuck in a office with the same people day in day out . So now I deliver static Caravans away all week love been on the road, take tacho card out on a Friday no worries until the Monday life isn't always greener on the other side
Kitchad

Post by Kitchad »

Seriously contemplating doing my TM course 🤔
Paully

Post by Paully »

Yes I have recently made the move. What area ?
Nixongy

Post by Nixongy »

Whats more important your family or the money? because sounds to me your only willing to give it up for your family IF you get another job samish wages or you can get another job cut back on spending budget better for the new job and spend lots of family time together
Pawelin

Post by Pawelin »

I left tramping , got day jobs from fitting then shunting and now I'm on day work driving an artic and I'm permanently knackered ....
Chrimarr

Post by Chrimarr »

I have gone from a class 1 Tramper to going on a road sweeper and home every night and still earning the same wage and more some weeks.
Mayeson

Post by Mayeson »

Went from tramping to nights shift. I start at 8pm usually only work bout 8hours max an get paid for 10hours then get overtime if go over it (very rarely) an cwb get my 6th night ot anytime i want it. See my kids everyday have dinner with them etc an can get out of bed if need be for appointments etc and only take home bout £100 less than i was getting staying out 4 nights a wk liven in a tin box
Mattee

Post by Mattee »

I guess some live to their means which means they can’t take a big hit in wages.
On paper we would all love a day job and home by 5pm, but does it lay the mortgage, the finances and debts amongst other bills.
I’d love to be able to live on £350 a week
Gaaryon

Post by Gaaryon »

There is no doubt, truck driving has a lot of negative issues, long hours, the pay is not always as good as we would like, and depending on what your doing, not exactly family friendly, but one of the positives of truck driving, is you can use the time when your waiting to be loaded or tipped to learn new skills, improve your knowledge, I have always wanted to learn to draw and paint, so if I’m sat for a couple of hour, out comes my sketch book, ok, might not sound that exciting to some, but at least I’m learning a new skill, and who knows where or what it will lead to, 6 month ago, I couldn’t even draw a stick figure, While your sitting around being paid, why not learn something new 😉
Peteris35

Post by Peteris35 »

Was driving just over 40 years own lorrys and tramping. agency for last 22 years best move I ever made loads of different work different companies and more money than a full time job tramping now retired and living in Thailand with the wife and son do I miss driving. Do i hell it's turned into a mugs game over the last year's
Stevend

Post by Stevend »

Peteris35 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:29 pm Was driving just over 40 years own lorrys and tramping. agency for last 22 years best move I ever made loads of different work different companies and more money than a full time job tramping now retired and living in Thailand with the wife and son do I miss driving. Do i hell it's turned into a mugs game over the last year's
so we're all mugs still doing it...... yeah, ok.
Andlity

Post by Andlity »

Went from class 1 lowloader work 16ph out all week to hiab rigid 20ph based on site all day 7-530 52.5hrs a week home evey night with a company van and fuel paid best decision I ever made
Williest

Post by Williest »

Andlity wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:31 pm Went from class 1 lowloader work 16ph out all week to hiab rigid 20ph based on site all day 7-530 52.5hrs a week home evey night with a company van and fuel paid best decision I ever made
who you working for?
Andlity

Post by Andlity »

Williest wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:32 pm
Andlity wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:31 pm Went from class 1 lowloader work 16ph out all week to hiab rigid 20ph based on site all day 7-530 52.5hrs a week home evey night with a company van and fuel paid best decision I ever made
who you working for?
zone contractors I'm based on a hs2 site
Jimmco

Post by Jimmco »

Have two very young kids and a court order on my oldest but still drive a bin lorry and love the job Start at 6:45 back home for 3 decent enough and finally got our pay rise in April sorted. 👌🏻
Sineadd

Post by Sineadd »

Left to be a cnc plasma opp better money and less
Hours but job was rubbish came back to trucking 8 weeks later
Alands

Post by Alands »

I changed to a mobile crane driver after 30 years of driving
Lewissm

Post by Lewissm »

Doesn’t matter what you end up going do pal. 90% that leave. End up coming back to driving. I didn’t touch a truck for 18 months. Did a three week trip to help a good pal out. And boom.
Chapper

Post by Chapper »

Anything pays better than driving on these shit roads working 12 to 15hrs per day.
Allane03

Post by Allane03 »

I've gone from being a tramper on car transporters, to going onto agency work for a major car factory. I'm home every day, have complete control as to when I have time off, and I'm earning far more money.

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”