I would need some advice and information Where should I begin? What exactly do I need to become a Transport Manager?

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Guirens

I would need some advice and information Where should I begin? What exactly do I need to become a Transport Manager?

Post by Guirens »

Hello all! After 15 years behind the wheel, I think I have accumulated enough experience to be able to pass to the other side of the office and I would need some advice and information. Where should I begin? What exactly do I need to become a Transport Manager? Thank you in advance for any answers. Have a good day!
Marken02

Re: I would need some advice and information Where should I begin? What exactly do I need to become a Transport Manager?

Post by Marken02 »

All you need to do is - book yourself onto a TM course.
It’s that simple - you can not really prepare for it. Just got to do it.
Speak to a driving school provider in your area and they will more than likely recommend some training providers…
All you need to do to become a Transport manager is just pass the course.
Once you have passed - you either ask your current employer to see if they will employ you as one or ask to work along side your current TM.
Other than that - go work for a company who is wanting a TM.
I didn’t go this route , I just bought my own truck and learnt the job as I go along , speak with people, learn from this page and by doing things putting things into place which i think is best but adapted as time goes on the more experience you get.
Or just become an extra no TM.
Theirs no set rule for this - I say just jump in the deep end and go from their…
Guirens

Re: I would need some advice and information Where should I begin? What exactly do I need to become a Transport Manager?

Post by Guirens »

Marken02 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:42 pm All you need to do is - book yourself onto a TM course.
It’s that simple - you can not really prepare for it. Just got to do it.
Speak to a driving school provider in your area and they will more than likely recommend some training providers…
All you need to do to become a Transport manager is just pass the course.
Once you have passed - you either ask your current employer to see if they will employ you as one or ask to work along side your current TM.
Other than that - go work for a company who is wanting a TM.
I didn’t go this route , I just bought my own truck and learnt the job as I go along , speak with people, learn from this page and by doing things putting things into place which i think is best but adapted as time goes on the more experience you get.
Or just become an extra no TM.
Theirs no set rule for this - I say just jump in the deep end and go from their…
thank you so much!
Danieel

Post by Danieel »

I passed mine with enterprise online training, passed first time. Really good can always get help.
PaulJo

Post by PaulJo »

I think experience in the office environment before taking the exam is beneficial, weather it be as a planner, coordinator or shadowing a TM.
Passing the TM course unfortunately doesn’t mean you are capable of carrying out the day to day role of a TM.
Likewise when you passed your HGV licence- you were taught to pass the test- then you start learning how to do the job.
Adamello

Post by Adamello »

Enterprise transport training, passed first time road haulage. Sat my psv multiple choice and passed also. Case study soon
TMexperts

Post by TMexperts »

HI, if you've been driving for 15 years you probably know half of the TM role. Getting alongside a TM for some experience would help. Then find a good training company to pick up the rest. They provide manuals for their courses, so if you get an hour or so during loading/unloading, breaks, or whatever, you can get into the course info.
We recommend Friendberry because they look after their students well throughout the course and into the exams. That doesn't change the hard work you will need to do, but they are worth chatting to if you want to know more.
Bluecorn

Post by Bluecorn »

Just recognise, even with the CPC, there is a big difference between being a driver compared to managing a Tpt operation and its drivers. Lots find the difference too much or end up failing the undertakings
Sebastian

Post by Sebastian »

As recommended by some people in this thread, book a CPC course, I did mine with THS Plus for example. What I liked about them is that they keep supporting the people that did their course through Whatsapp groups, where they help them with whatever question they have. (They have the course both in person and online)
Also, before you book the course you can check other resources on google and youtube.

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”