I was wondering if anyone has done the maths on the estimated net cost per mile? I.e to include diesel as a variable

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Waynim

I was wondering if anyone has done the maths on the estimated net cost per mile? I.e to include diesel as a variable

Post by Waynim »

I was wondering if anyone has done the maths on the estimated net cost per mile? I.e. to include diesel as a variable, tax, insurance, servicing, taco calibration, wear and tear, driver salary, rental/purchase costs, etc etc. I’m
Sure the list is endless. May help people when they are assessing taking a load which may well be costing them money.
Just done a very basic sum of diesel per mile at 9 mpg and salary at £20.00 per hour which works out at £1.25 per mile excluding all additional costs. Therefore taking at load at anything like that figure is financial suicide.
Joarmal

Re: I was wondering if anyone has done the maths on the estimated net cost per mile? I.e to include diesel as a variable

Post by Joarmal »

Motor transport used to produce a fairly accurate vehicle costing table but last one was 2020 it used to be fairly accurate as pretty much took everything into account
Waynim

Re: I was wondering if anyone has done the maths on the estimated net cost per mile? I.e to include diesel as a variable

Post by Waynim »

Joarmal wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:54 pm Motor transport used to produce a fairly accurate vehicle costing table but last one was 2020 it used to be fairly accurate as pretty much took everything into account
just had a quick look, not entirely sure I was reading it correctly but it looks like it was £2.00 per mile then with diesel at just over £1.00 per litre, 50% cheaper than it is now. Therefore even at £2.00 a mile you will not even be breaking even.
Joarmal

Post by Joarmal »

Waynim wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:55 pm
Joarmal wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:54 pm Motor transport used to produce a fairly accurate vehicle costing table but last one was 2020 it used to be fairly accurate as pretty much took everything into account
just had a quick look, not entirely sure I was reading it correctly but it looks like it was £2.00 per mile then with diesel at just over £1.00 per litre, 50% cheaper than it is now. Therefore even at £2.00 a mile you will not even be breaking even.
yep correct plus wages on the 2020 table are at 38k pa on an artic now way higher, plus adblue doubled in price insurances shot up, quick maths says it’s more around 2.50 per mile now cost wise
Waynim

Post by Waynim »

Joarmal wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:56 pm
yep correct plus wages on the 2020 table are at 38k pa on an artic now way higher, plus adblue doubled in price insurances shot up, quick maths says it’s more around 2.50 per mile now cost wise
I am new to this industry, and struggling to understand why hauliers would take a load paying just over £1.00 per mile. It’s financial suicide.
Martium

Post by Martium »

Waynim wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:56 pm

I am new to this industry, and struggling to understand why hauliers would take a load paying just over £1.00 per mile. It’s financial suicide.
think this also takes into account a 30% profit margin therefor giving u £2 per mile
Joarmal

Post by Joarmal »

got to also take the variable of outbound inbound into account though when pricing say you get an outbound that 150 miles paying 450 that’s 3 per mile the get a reload ( in perfect world from same area ) so 150 miles back paying 300 that’s only £2 per mile, but your overall journey is 300 miles and charged £750 that’s £2.5 per mile overall
Waynim

Post by Waynim »

Joarmal wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:58 pm

got to also take the variable of outbound inbound into account though when pricing say you get an outbound that 150 miles paying 450 that’s 3 per mile the get a reload ( in perfect world from same area ) so 150 miles back paying 300 that’s only £2 per mile, but your overall journey is 300 miles and charged £750 that’s £2.5 per mile overall
I don’t seem to be seeing rates like that. The one I saw recently way 250 miles outbound, returning empty trailer and paying just over £400.
Gorden

Post by Gorden »

Waynim wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:59 pm

I don’t seem to be seeing rates like that. The one I saw recently way 250 miles outbound, returning empty trailer and paying just over £400.
because they're bell ends...
Joarmal

Post by Joarmal »

Waynim wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:59 pm

its because theyre pricks mate & have truck payments so think if its moving its earning, f**king deluded, probably factoring every invoice to get the money in as fast as they can, for every 10 hauliers that say they will refuse loads at shit rates another 10 will take them, no solidarity in this game
Nigell

Post by Nigell »

Martium wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:57 pm

think this also takes into account a 30% profit margin therefor giving u £2 per mile
30% profit “heaven”
Martium

Post by Martium »

Nigell wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:00 pm
Martium wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:57 pm

30% profit “heaven”
it's what I aim for on every job
McGuines

Post by McGuines »

Everybody’s costs are different so it’s hard to put a PPM.
Andricum

Post by Andricum »

We use £2.00 per mile as start for 7.5tons and it goes up according to lorry weight. [And we use the 7.5tons mostly for local jobs, where clients pay per job, anyway.] For artics, we don't even switch the computers on for anything under £2.5 per mile. International even more. And since 2nd of January we always charge full payment in advance! No exceptions... Mind also that our income stream is widely varied (freight forwarding / sea shipping, road transport, machinery export, logistics project management, and others) and our trucks are not THE ONLY source of income! And yet, we stick to our guns re price per mile...
Allunte

Post by Allunte »

Standing costs + fuel is simplest way.
Jeremar

Post by Jeremar »

Allunte wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:03 pm Standing costs + fuel is simplest way.
only way
RobMint

Post by RobMint »

What's needed is some boffin who can write code to make an algorithm that harvests all these appalling jobs up. Then create a shell company that hoovers up all these poor paying jobs. Then simply don't actually do these jobs & leave the wastrels advertising these shocking rates swinging in the wind
Paully

Post by Paully »

RobMint wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:05 pm What's needed is some boffin who can write code to make an algorithm that harvests all these appalling jobs up. Then create a shell company that hoovers up all these poor paying jobs. Then simply don't actually do these jobs & leave the wastrels advertising these shocking rates swinging in the wind
that made me smile 😃 👆
OConnyg

Post by OConnyg »

I tried it when diesel was £1.50 a litre @ 8mpg working out at 82ppm. Basing it on 1500 miles per week and factoring in every other cost i could think of it came out @ approx £1.50 per mile. Truck and trailer repayment being £1200 per month
Leeello

Post by Leeello »

Love this post
I used to follow the Motor Transport table too and it worked fairly well. Everything is variable from haulier to haulier costs wise but £2.50 a mile (all miles) or as close to that as you can get on distance stuff seems about right. Local jobs pay a lot more as it’s a time factor more than anything else. I will very gladly park a truck or two up rather than send them out to loose money, we all know our standing costs but what’s your cost sending one out at £1.50 a mile say on a 500 round trip! I’d dread to think about it
Gabrimo

Post by Gabrimo »

I worked out when fuel was £1.90 per ltr + adblue it was physically costing £1 per mile to run my truck, based on 10mpg average,
That’s not including any standing charges (insurance tax etc)
Then I just look at any rates and work out what profit there will be left after that and go from there,
I also don’t have drivers wages as such as I’m a owner driver, so when there’s decent profit in the month I can take a little bit more and when it’s rough (like now ) I can take the bare minimum,
It won’t make me a millionaire anytime soon but it seems to work for me!
But everyone’s got different costs and setups
Paultern

Post by Paultern »

Gabrimo wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:09 pm I worked out when fuel was £1.90 per ltr + adblue it was physically costing £1 per mile to run my truck, based on 10mpg average,
Then I just look at any rates and work out what profit there will be left after that and go from there,
I also don’t have drivers wages as such as I’m a owner driver, so when there’s decent profit in the month I can take a little bit more and when it’s rough (like now ) I can take the bare minimum,
you must have some posh diesel. The most I've paid was £1.62.
Currently £127.3
Gabrimo

Post by Gabrimo »

Paultern wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:09 pm
Gabrimo wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:09 pm I worked out when fuel was £1.90 per ltr + adblue it was physically costing £1 per mile to run my truck, based on 10mpg average,
Currently £127.3
that was based on pump prices including vat
Paultern

Post by Paultern »

Gabrimo wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:10 pm
Currently £127.3
VAT is irrelevant and if you're paying pump prices you aren't fit to call yourself a businessman.
Gabrimo

Post by Gabrimo »

Paultern wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:11 pm

Currently £127.3
VAT is irrelevant and if you're paying pump prices you aren't fit to call yourself a businessman.
I have fuel cards thanks, and as much as vat is irrelevant it still has to be paid does it not
Robsequ

Post by Robsequ »

Gabrimo wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:11 pm

I have fuel cards thanks, and as much as vat is irrelevant it still has to be paid does it not
surely you claim your VAT back, so is irrelevant in your costings
Gabrimo

Post by Gabrimo »

Robsequ wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:12 pm

surely you claim your VAT back, so is irrelevant in your costings
yes but when your fuel bill comes out the bank you still have to have the money there to pay it to start with, that’s my point,
Paultern

Post by Paultern »

yes, but you should be charging more VAT on outputs than you are paying on inputs. Therefore VAT is a cash positive benefit assuming you are "cash accounting" for your VAT as a small business.
Gabrimo

Post by Gabrimo »

Paultern wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:13 pm

yes, but you should be charging more VAT on outputs than you are paying on inputs. Therefore VAT is a cash positive benefit assuming you are "cash accounting" for your VAT as a small business.
yes but like I have just said above, you still need to have it available to pay it out before you can claim it back
Paultern

Post by Paultern »

Gabrimo wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:13 pm
Paultern wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:13 pm

yes but like I have just said above, you still need to have it available to pay it out before you can claim it back
if you're so skint that the VAT is an issue you maybe need a different career.
Tarbban

Post by Tarbban »

your doing well to average 10mpg.
Gabrimo

Post by Gabrimo »

Tarbban wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:15 pm
Attachments
Picture.jpg
Picture.jpg (61.09 KiB) Viewed 747 times
Gabrimo

Post by Gabrimo »

And before anyone says it yes there’s a brake warning on the screen! Just a low pad and it’s been fixed
Tarbban

Post by Tarbban »

Gabrimo wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:16 pm
And before anyone says it yes there’s a brake warning on the screen! Just a low pad and it’s been fixed
your doing well. I get 6.1 in the city
Gabrimo

Post by Gabrimo »

Tarbban wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:16 pm

tbf it only drops to about 9 if it’s got a low loader trailer on
Tarbban

Post by Tarbban »

Gabrimo wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:17 pm

I wouldn't get that empty lol
Lauream

Post by Lauream »

Gabrimo wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:17 pm

no you need to factor in your wages ,plus profit all costs need to be yearly costs to cover quiet periods
Rhyange

Post by Rhyange »

No we all just bought a lorry and then just plucked a price out of thin air and thought we all be a millionaire in a year
Waynim

Post by Waynim »

Rhyange wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:19 pm No we all just bought a lorry and then just plucked a price out of thin air and thought we all be a millionaire in a year
thanks for the sarcasm, really helps a new driver getting to know the business. Cheers.
Rhyange

Post by Rhyange »

Waynim wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:19 pm
Rhyange wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:19 pm No we all just bought a lorry and then just plucked a price out of thin air and thought we all be a millionaire in a year
thanks for the sarcasm, really helps a new driver getting to know the business. Cheers.
mate get used to it grow a skin like a rhino no room for softy’s
Waynim

Post by Waynim »

Rhyange wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:20 pm
Waynim wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:19 pm
mate get used to it grow a skin like a rhino no room for softy’s
Army Veteran, 54 years old, heard it all, however, someone who posts in order to belittle others in order to promote themselves I have no time for. Goodbye.
JohnJo

Post by JohnJo »

Another factor would be area, motorway work compared to hills ie Wales, the Dale's etc, plus that's a hell of a wage for the driver sign me up!!🚛💨💨
Joarmal

Post by Joarmal »

JohnJo wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:21 pm Another factor would be area, motorway work compared to hills ie Wales, the Dale's etc, plus that's a hell of a wage for the driver sign me up!!🚛💨💨
£20 an hour on class1 is only mid range pay now, class 1 trampers are on 48to58k per annum!
JohnJo

Post by JohnJo »

Joarmal wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:21 pm
JohnJo wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:21 pm Another factor would be area, motorway work compared to hills ie Wales, the Dale's etc, plus that's a hell of a wage for the driver sign me up!!🚛💨💨
£20 an hour on class1 is only mid range pay now, class 1 trampers are on 48to58k per annum!
really, not down west its not.
Joarmal

Post by Joarmal »

JohnJo wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:22 pm
Joarmal wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:21 pm
really, not down west its not.
worth looking further afield for more per hour as a tramper you’ve only got to travel the 2 or 3hours to base twice a week 😉
Lauream

Post by Lauream »

Anyone running a business properly knows all the costs involved!
Transport is slightly more variable ,but yes we have worked out the costs we need per mile
Thomix

Post by Thomix »

Lauream wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:23 pm Anyone running a business properly knows all the costs involved!
Transport is slightly more variable ,but yes we have worked out the costs we need per mile
and how much is this Please?
Lauream

Post by Lauream »

Thomix wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:25 pm
Lauream wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:23 pm Anyone running a business properly knows all the costs involved!
and how much is this Please?
everyone's overheads are different you need to know your costs
Kevonze

Post by Kevonze »

I packed up in 2018 pal and I was earning £2.00 per mile + and then you weren't earning a fortune, I was on powder tank work
Tndroll

Post by Tndroll »

If you don't know you should not be running à vechule didn't you learn anything when you passed your cpc
Waynim

Post by Waynim »

Tndroll wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:26 pm If you don't know you should not be running à vechule didn't you learn anything when you passed your cpc
I’m not running a’ vechule, and I dont remember anything on my cpc about running at a loss. I am trying to learn more about the business. I work for an independent haulier. Once again many thanks for your help in the constructive front.

Return to “Haulage companies | Owner-drivers and fleet owners | General discussions”