Afternoon everyone I’m really keen to get into the courier business but Im completely new to it all! So just looking

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
France171

Afternoon everyone I’m really keen to get into the courier business but Im completely new to it all! So just looking

Post by France171 »

Afternoon everyone 👋
I’m really keen to get into the courier business, but I’m completely new to it all! So just looking for some advice, possibly a job if there’s any going?
I’ve worked running my own painting and decorating business for the last 5 years and have now had enough of that. Always fancied driving for a living as I really enjoy driving.
The van I currently have is a short wheel based panel van and I have a full drivers license, although I’ve only held it since February. I also have 3 points 🤦‍♂️
Would I be of any use to any companies as yet? I have applied for local courier jobs through recruitment agencies and I have applied to City Sprint as well.
The plan is to hopefully get to know the trade whilst working for someone else for a few years. Hopefully I can eventually work for myself later down the line once I know how it all works.
Would anyone have some advice, words or guidance for me? Or would anyone be looking to take someone on?
I am available immediately and I am keen to learn, I have great common sense and I’m great with clients / customers, very polite and professional etc.
I’m 33 years old and based in Surrey.
Many thanks
nobPuff

Re: Afternoon everyone I’m really keen to get into the courier business but Im completely new to it all! So just looking

Post by nobPuff »

Based on Surrey you will need to have a euro 6 van as most of the work will be going to London. City sprint pay crap you'll be better off finding a local company to work for.
France171

Re: Afternoon everyone I’m really keen to get into the courier business but Im completely new to it all! So just looking

Post by France171 »

nobPuff wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:50 am Based on Surrey you will need to have a euro 6 van as most of the work will be going to London. City sprint pay crap you'll be better off finding a local company to work for.
thanks for the advice. Currently got a 22 plate on rental at the moment (so I’m all good for now) whilst my van gets repaired. But will be going Euro 6 when I buy a new one in the new year. They’re expanding the ULEZ as well out to Croydon and into parts of Greater London which is a right bummer! Thanks again
nobPuff

Post by nobPuff »

France171 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:50 am
nobPuff wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:50 am Based on Surrey you will need to have a euro 6 van as most of the work will be going to London. City sprint pay crap you'll be better off finding a local company to work for.
thanks for the advice. Currently got a 22 plate on rental at the moment (so I’m all good for now) whilst my van gets repaired. But will be going Euro 6 when I buy a new one in the new year. They’re expanding the ULEZ as well out to Croydon and into parts of Greater London which is a right bummer! Thanks again
yeah it's getting everywhere Birmingham Bristol etc. I've been doing those for 20 years plus.. honestly just try to find a GOOD local company. Thats the best way forward. Not sure where in Surrey you are but I'm currently working out if Berkshire
France171

Post by France171 »

nobPuff wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:51 am
yeah it's getting everywhere Birmingham Bristol etc. I've been doing those for 20 years plus.. honestly just try to find a GOOD local company. Thats the best way forward. Not sure where in Surrey you are but I'm currently working out if Berkshire
cheers mate yeah that’s what I’ll do then, I’ve applied for a few firms so going to get onit properly come tomorrow! I’m between Croydon and Gatwick mate, so not a million miles away 👍
nobPuff

Post by nobPuff »

France171 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:52 am

cheers mate yeah that’s what I’ll do then, I’ve applied for a few firms so going to get onit properly come tomorrow! I’m between Croydon and Gatwick mate, so not a million miles away 👍
there's gotta be some good companies there especially being so close to Gatwick.. good luck with the look 👍
France171

Post by France171 »

nobPuff wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:52 am

there's gotta be some good companies there especially being so close to Gatwick.. good luck with the look 👍
yeah that’s what I was thinking too. Thanks mate. Have a good one 🤝
Emanuest

Post by Emanuest »

How do you approach those local companies? I find it hard to go and start a conversation with some random people telling them i can support their supply chain. How are you doing that? Face to face, cold calls, emails?
nobPuff

Post by nobPuff »

France171 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:53 am
nobPuff wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:52 am

yeah that’s what I was thinking too. Thanks mate. Have a good one 🤝
I would start by a simple email to see if they had any vacancies. Then maybe pop in for a chat. Remember most companies are even own or run by drivers so just a chat should do
sholypi50

Post by sholypi50 »

Best advise I’d stick to painting! If you have a load of money to throw down the drain, want to work long hours, and run around for no money the give it a shot
France171

Post by France171 »

sholypi50 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:55 am Best advise I’d stick to painting! If you have a load of money to throw down the drain, want to work long hours, and run around for no money the give it a shot
painting has become so tedious my friend, I’m super bored of it and fed up with dealing with customers etc… is courier work really bad money then? What would you say the average courier earns a week? I know that’s a pretty vague question. But I’ve tried researching and can’t find much in the way of average wages. Some companies say 650 a week. Others say £15 an hour. I can’t work out if that’s gross or net. Or if that includes fuel etc etc. I’d be happy taking home £500 / £600 a week 👍 thanks for advice mate
sholypi50

Post by sholypi50 »

France171 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:56 am
sholypi50 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:55 am Best advise I’d stick to painting! If you have a load of money to throw down the drain, want to work long hours, and run around for no money the give it a shot
painting has become so tedious my friend, I’m super bored of it and fed up with dealing with customers etc… is courier work really bad money then? What would you say the average courier earns a week? I know that’s a pretty vague question. But I’ve tried researching and can’t find much in the way of average wages. Some companies say 650 a week. Others say £15 an hour. I can’t work out if that’s gross or net. Or if that includes fuel etc etc. I’d be happy taking home £500 / £600 a week 👍 thanks for advice mate
I wouldn’t really know what owner drivers earn. I run trucks mainly. I do have 10 vans was well. It’s coming into the quiet time now so I certainly wouldn’t advise on doing anything yet. The problem is everyone seems to run around for no money. All the best if you do decide to go for it. Personally I wouldn’t advise anyone to do it anymore
petHiro

Post by petHiro »

you will easily making around £1000 pw if you’re using smart planning and no driving lest then 0.9 ppm on small van but will say jumping in there after February only and make sure you have for a list 45 working days running cost average that will be £5k to start
Chrnine

Post by Chrnine »

worked for myself for 10 years… Up till covid it was good, thru covid was bad this last year has got worse! I’m running till feb when insurance runs out than shutting up as to many people doing it and not a clue what they doing so charging peanuts there no longer any profit left for you. If you wanna drive just work for someone get ya hourly rate and be ok but I’d not leave the decorating if I was you.
bobZena

Post by bobZena »

Hi... the courier business is a good career mate, but you really must do some maths and homework. It is saturated at the moment, too many couriers fighting for not enough work. The best advice I can give is to go local first, put your name about with companies in your area. Do a forecast on insurance, Goods in Transit, Public liability, diesel costs etc etc and what you need to take from the business to live on.
France171

Post by France171 »

bobZena wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:59 am Hi... the courier business is a good career mate, but you really must do some maths and homework. It is saturated at the moment, too many couriers fighting for not enough work. The best advice I can give is to go local first, put your name about with companies in your area. Do a forecast on insurance, Goods in Transit, Public liability, diesel costs etc etc and what you need to take from the business to live on.
great advice. Thank you! 👍
bobZena

Post by bobZena »

France171 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:00 pm
bobZena wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:59 am Hi... the courier business is a good career mate, but you really must do some maths and homework. It is saturated at the moment, too many couriers fighting for not enough work. The best advice I can give is to go local first, put your name about with companies in your area. Do a forecast on insurance, Goods in Transit, Public liability, diesel costs etc etc and what you need to take from the business to live on.
If you need to know anything else, just message me, bud 🙂
France171

Post by France171 »

bobZena wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:00 pm
that’s really kind of you. I appreciate that. Thanks a lot! 😊
bobZena

Post by bobZena »

France171 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:01 pm

No worries, fella!
Paeddx67

Post by Paeddx67 »

bobZena wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:02 pm
France171 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:01 pm

No worries, fella!
Hi
I have been in the industry for 38 years just because you like driving doesn’t mean you will become a successful courier and run a successful business after what I have been charged for painting and decorating in the north west I wish I had been 1 instead of a courier but never had success in hanging wallpaper and not getting drips of paint everywhere. So my advise in these strange times in business is stick to what you
know best.
And forget being a courier
That is the best advise I can give you cause it will save you £££££££££
guaWell

Post by guaWell »

Don't do it, is the best advice i can give you.
France171

Post by France171 »

guaWell wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:03 pm Don't do it, is the best advice i can give you.
thanks for your feedback. Any reasoning in particular? Thanks 😊
guaWell

Post by guaWell »

France171 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:03 pm
guaWell wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:03 pm Don't do it, is the best advice i can give you.
thanks for your feedback. Any reasoning in particular? Thanks 😊
this business is very difficult for people who have been in it for 45 years never mind a rookie. I admire you for wanting to change to something else but wanting to drive on these roads with so many bad drivers about saddens me. I have drove uk & europe & its not getting any better money wise.
Rorills98

Post by Rorills98 »

Hi I've been working in transport for nearly 30 years as a lorry driver then transport manager and for the last 3 years as an owner van driver. I love the work and I'm usually very busy due to the contacts I've built up over the years but you really do need to think hard and do your homework on pricing and costs etc. cause the margins these days are quite tight so you have to work smart and plan your days out carefully as you can't afford to be doing too many dead miles between jobs or back home etc. If you've really got your heart set on it and aren't afraid of long hours then good luck and I hope it goes well but the best advice I can give and I see others have said it , do your planning and home work now but don't try going live until say end Feb/March as work will be slow after Christmas it always is so prices will be low .I take a lot of my holidays and the beginning of the year rather than fight for what bit of work is about in January.
mieMitt

Post by mieMitt »

It’s a very bad market right now, and only to get far worse, we heading deeper into a recession… so means more people think they will get a van and make money.
This into a already very saturated market.
Most don’t, and be even less in the next few years, but won’t stop more trying…
Fayelle35

Post by Fayelle35 »

I started 30 years ago, much the same as you and needed career a change. My advice would be to get all the relevant insurance’s for your vehicle put in place, and try on a part time basis, keeping your finger in your current business to get your bills paid. It’s tough at times and like many others who’ve been at it a long time you have ups and downs and most new drivers don’t last 12 months as this game is all about networking as many contacts as possible across the country and this can take many years to build reliable sources of work. There has been loads of changes in this industry as well as other industries, some for the better and some worse, but hey times change and we deal with it. There is always a shortage of multi drop drivers work out there if that’s what you want to do, but if it’s something you really want to do then go for it, just bare in mind generally January/ February is a slow time of year for people’s spending and bad weather issues. Good luck anyway 👍
deanger

Post by deanger »

Stick to painting will earn more in your pocket after costs and work less hours, plus courier work is going to get harder to find work next year with how the economy is going even the multi drop parcel companies will be dropping vans
HilStyx

Post by HilStyx »

Don't bother stick to painting if i was you
MarXmc

Post by MarXmc »

Stay as you are. More money and less hours. Transport is hard work and way to many cowboys under cutting you

Return to “Haulage companies | Owner-drivers and fleet owners | General discussions”