Hi all, Do you need to get a maintenance agreement signed for any vehicle over 28days?

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
leworman

Hi all, Do you need to get a maintenance agreement signed for any vehicle over 28days?

Post by leworman »

Gv79's for long term hires
Do you need to get a maintenance agreement signed for any vehicle over 28days?
BaJunky

Re: Hi all, Do you need to get a maintenance agreement signed for any vehicle over 28days?

Post by BaJunky »

Is it operating under the terms of your O licence?
leworman

Re: Hi all, Do you need to get a maintenance agreement signed for any vehicle over 28days?

Post by leworman »

BaJunky wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:18 pm Is it operating under the terms of your O licence?
yes, question has been posed as we hire in but nationally the hire company uses various maintenance suppliers so practically it's not possible to capture them all as we on and off hire regularly with no guarantee or same vehicle or maintenance provider
BaJunky

Post by BaJunky »

leworman wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:18 pm
BaJunky wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:18 pm Is it operating under the terms of your O licence?
yes, question has been posed as we hire in but nationally the hire company uses various maintenance suppliers so practically it's not possible to capture them all as we on and off hire regularly with no guarantee or same vehicle or maintenance provider
of its on your licence you are the one responsible for its road worthiness
leworman

Post by leworman »

BaJunky wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:19 pm
I'm aware of that henss why I asked the question
jorismoo

Post by jorismoo »

leworman wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:19 pm
BaJunky wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:19 pm

I'm aware of that henss why I asked the question
I was thinking same 😂
PeeGino

Post by PeeGino »

Is hiring including maintenance? If so, is it just the contract between u and rental company then, as rental outsourcing maintenance further?
leworman

Post by leworman »

PeeGino wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:20 pm Is hiring including maintenance? If so, is it just the contract between u and rental company then, as rental outsourcing maintenance further?
hiring at flat rate. the hire company PMI's costs are factored into the rental, and they outsource to somewhere local.
We then are then outsourcing further maintenance for shutter doors as hire company won't offer
PeeGino

Post by PeeGino »

leworman wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:21 pm
PeeGino wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:20 pm Is hiring including maintenance? If so, is it just the contract between u and rental company then, as rental outsourcing maintenance further?
hiring at flat rate. the hire company PMI's costs are factored into the rental, and they outsource to somewhere local.
We then are then outsourcing further maintenance for shutter doors as hire company won't offer
I mean of course you need maintenance agreement, but it won't be you with whatever garage, just you with rental company.
BaJunky

Post by BaJunky »

when you sign the paperwork for an O licence, what does it say about maintenance?
leworman

Post by leworman »

BaJunky wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:22 pm
when you sign the paperwork for an O licence, what does it say about maintenance?
why are you speaking in riddles.
You clearly have something to say. Just say it and stopped trying to draw an answer out of someone or don't bother replying
PeeGino

Post by PeeGino »

leworman wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:22 pm
You clearly have something to say. Just say it and stopped trying to draw an answer out of someone or don't bother replying
I have yet fill anything in before. (New pass waving hands as usual) But in GV79 Annex D, it says "Agreement between the operator and a garage or agent..." Rental company is an agent imo
BaJunky

Post by BaJunky »

PeeGino wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:23 pm

I have yet fill anything in before. (New pass waving hands as usual) But in GV79 Annex D, it says "Agreement between the operator and a garage or agent..." Rental company is an agent imo
No riddle just a question.
I was always taught in school, it’s better to find the answer for yourself rather than being told the answer.
leworman

Post by leworman »

BaJunky wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:24 pm
PeeGino wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:23 pm

No riddle just a question.
I was always taught in school, it’s better to find the answer for yourself rather than being told the answer.
it's coming across a pretentious, headmaster.. you did a similar thing on the last post people ask something genuine and you answer question with a question. It's not what the forum for in my view but made my point. Just find Immensely unhelpful and frustrating
grachri50

Post by grachri50 »

This is a problem scenario, similar to the one faced by operators doing traction only.
If you are hiring long term and the hirer arranges maintenance with a fixed provider then you simply list that provider on your O licence and ensure you get copies of all PMI reports.
If you are regularly swapping trailers whether you are hauling other peoples trailers (e.g. Amazon) or just hiring trailers on an occasional basis you have great difficulty in obtaining proof of outcomes of maintenance inspections.
As BaJunky says if it’s attached to your tractor the road worthiness is your responsibility.
What I think is particularly problematic here is that since you are hiring the trailer for your use then it is ‘your’ trailer that you are pulling, not someone else’s (as in traction only) and therefore the oversight of maintenance is your responsibility.
Look at it this way; if DVSA turn up tomorrow to do an inspection/audit, do you have documentary evidence that all inspections are being done at the appropriate intervals and that all necessary maintenance is being carried out.
Darexcity

Post by Darexcity »

You need to have an agreement, yes.
ricette34

Post by ricette34 »

I would strongly recommend the maintenance agreement is with the maintenance provider and not the rental Company. The reason i say this is DVSA will expect you to have audited the maintenance provider to ensure they have the correct facilities, tools and staff quals/competencies for the type of fleet you will be running.
If you have a contract with the rental company and allow them to use who they want to use, who is controlling the quality of the facilities and servicing offered? The rental company have zero obligations under operating licensing so they will choose the best priced or suitability for them, that may not be the best in terms of standards for you or the operator.
If you hired a driver from an agency would you do your own checks on the driver or just gave a contract with the agency and let them send who they want?

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”