Just been asked a question (nothing to do with the two companies I look after) Can you buy a lorry and drive it back

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
seMaxi58

Just been asked a question (nothing to do with the two companies I look after) Can you buy a lorry and drive it back

Post by seMaxi58 »

Just been asked a question (nothing to do with the two companies I look after)
Can you buy a lorry and drive it back to a base if you haven’t already applied for op license, if so how.
My answer was no but for them to get their application in and then ask for approval to get the veh to base or have it recovered there.
Would like to hear any other way around this from anyone
Pellexec

Re: Just been asked a question (nothing to do with the two companies I look after) Can you buy a lorry and drive it back

Post by Pellexec »

If they aren't carrying anything then yes......ops licence is required when doing stuff for hire and reward.....if your just driving it and carrying nothing but air then you're all good
wilppahan

Re: Just been asked a question (nothing to do with the two companies I look after) Can you buy a lorry and drive it back

Post by wilppahan »

Pellexec wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:20 pm If they aren't carrying anything then yes......ops licence is required when doing stuff for hire and reward.....if your just driving it and carrying nothing but air then you're all good
*commercial purposes as opposed to H&R.
Pellexec

Post by Pellexec »

wilppahan wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:20 pm
Pellexec wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:20 pm If they aren't carrying anything then yes......ops licence is required when doing stuff for hire and reward.....if your just driving it and carrying nothing but air then you're all good
*commercial purposes as opposed to H&R.
potatoes tomatoes......you get the idea
MerceMa

Post by MerceMa »

Trade plates would be the easiest option I would say
ton2cool

Post by ton2cool »

trade plates are issued for a number of reasons but must be used for that reason ie... recovery if that's what they were issued for, vehicle delivery companies can (and do) have trade plates for that purpose, so as long as the plates are being used for the reason they were issued for, then it would be acceptable
MerceMa

Post by MerceMa »

NeNarrative wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:23 pm trade plates do not cover no MOT
If an examiner is testing a vehicle ?? For example brake testing?
NeNarrative

Post by NeNarrative »

MerceMa wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:23 pm
if it hasn’t got an MOT put it on RBT
MerceMa

Post by MerceMa »

NeNarrative wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:24 pm
MerceMa wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:23 pm
if it hasn’t got an MOT put it on RBT
ok mate
painfort44

Post by painfort44 »

If it’s not for hire, reward or carrying goods for business the it’s just a truck. Think horse box for your own horse.
DouDough

Post by DouDough »

I would purchase said vehicle delivered to my yard and make it someone else’s problem! If that fails I would give instructions to a low - loader haulage company to transport back to my yard and factor that cost into purchase price.
jastapp20

Post by jastapp20 »

Yes, with no load, as long as the vehicle taxed mot'd and insured, if not trade plates or get it delivered.
Richmandi5

Post by Richmandi5 »

Personally I wouldn't buy a vehicle until O Licence had been granted...just incase they say NO
goriguz31

Post by goriguz31 »

Trade plates are the best option if you don't currentlybhabe an operators licence.
NeNarrative

Post by NeNarrative »

Surely that would mean you are using the Operating Centre before it has been approved. Just leave them until the licence is granted
BodCist

Post by BodCist »

NeNarrative wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:31 pm Surely that would mean you are using the Operating Centre before it has been approved. Just leave them until the licence is granted
no different than a motorway service parking area.
NeNarrative

Post by NeNarrative »

BodCist wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:31 pm
NeNarrative wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:31 pm Surely that would mean you are using the Operating Centre before it has been approved. Just leave them until the licence is granted
so if I put in a variation to change my operating centre I can use the new one before the variation is granted ?
BodCist

Post by BodCist »

NeNarrative wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:32 pm
so if I put in a variation to change my operating centre I can use the new one before the variation is granted ?
you can’t “operate” a business from there but can’t see anything that says you can’t PARK there.
Do truck sales businesses have O licence
NeNarrative

Post by NeNarrative »

BodCist wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:32 pm

you can’t “operate” a business from there but can’t see anything that says you can’t PARK there.
no, but me being me, I wouldn’t park vehicles at my proposed Operating Centre until my Licence was granted. If you are renting the premises I would imagine that invoices are made out to the business, trucks are registered to the business etc, etc. I just wouldn’t go there
BodCist

Post by BodCist »

NeNarrative wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:33 pm

no, but me being me, I wouldn’t park vehicles at my proposed Operating Centre until my Licence was granted. If you are renting the premises I would imagine that invoices are made out to the business, trucks are registered to the business etc, etc. I just wouldn’t go there
“if”.
NeNarrative

Post by NeNarrative »

BodCist wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:33 pm

“if”.
yes, could be your premises, and I would imagine that they would be your registered business premises, the one you operate a business from, and the trucks would be registered to that business. I would just leave alone until I had my licence. Others might have a different opinion and that is their right.
BodCist

Post by BodCist »

NeNarrative wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:34 pm

“if”.
yes, could be your premises, and I would imagine that they would be your registered business premises, the one you operate a business from, and the trucks would be registered to that business. I would just leave alone until I had my licence. Others might have a different opinion and that is their right.
absolutely ok to have our own opinions (god knows I have enough of my own).
Not necessary to have any business registered at the address.
I could have bought a plot of land, bought some trucks and just parked them up while I continue to set up the rest of the business.
daavic67

Post by daavic67 »

BodCist wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:34 pm

“if”.
I could have bought a plot of land, bought some trucks and just parked them up while I continue to set up the rest of the business.
truck sales are like hire companies and don’t need OC’s
BodCist

Post by BodCist »

daavic67 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:34 pm
BodCist wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:34 pm

truck sales are like hire companies and don’t need OC’s
but why? Because they’re not “operating”
Ian4Bigg

Post by Ian4Bigg »

paying rent on a yard to store your wagon what's wrong with that? No difference to renting a garage
Ian4Bigg

Post by Ian4Bigg »

Picked mine up with Mrs..drove back to yard. Job done.
BodCist

Post by BodCist »

MerceMa wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:21 pm Trade plates would be the easiest option I would say
noooooo. Trade plates ONLY cover road tax, nothing else. And they can’t be borrowed for that type of trip either.
What about unregistered vehicles? They’re also covered.
higgHider

Post by higgHider »

The answer is basically YES as long as the vehicle is not being used for the carriage of goods, or used in connection with a trade or business, That is the requirement to have a goods vehicle operators licence. But it will need to be properly insured and taxed.
FoxMunde

Post by FoxMunde »

A lot of overthinking going on again 🤷🙈
As long as the truck is taxed, MOT, insured and the driver has the appropriate licence, it's fine to drive as long as no commercial activities are undertaken.
Set the tacho to OOS, crack on and it's fine to park in a proposed OC as long as no operating goes on?
Make sure the vehicle is VOR correctly, once it's in the yard, just wait for the OL to be approved but only go buying vehicles if you're sure there will be no issues with the OL application 👍
seMaxi58

Post by seMaxi58 »

FoxMunde wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:38 pm A lot of overthinking going on again 🤷🙈
As long as the truck is taxed, MOT, insured and the driver has the appropriate licence, it's fine to drive as long as no commercial activities are undertaken.
Set the tacho to OOS, crack on and it's fine to park in a proposed OC as long as no operating goes on?
Make sure the vehicle is VOR correctly, once it's in the yard, just wait for the OL to be approved but only go buying vehicles if you're sure there will be no issues with the OL application 👍
thank you, pasted and sent to him.
NeNarrative

Post by NeNarrative »

FoxMunde wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:38 pm A lot of overthinking going on again 🤷🙈
so the person delivering it is not doing it work related?
FoxMunde

Post by FoxMunde »

NeNarrative wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:39 pm
It's a new purchase and just being delivered from the seller to the new owner, who drives it is irrelevant as long as everything is above board, no commercial activity is being undertaken so OOS and crack on 👍
NeNarrative

Post by NeNarrative »

FoxMunde wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:40 pm
It's a new purchase and just being delivered from the seller to the new owner, who drives it is irrelevant as long as everything is above board, no commercial activity is being undertaken so OOS and crack on 👍
so if the driver is being paid?
FoxMunde

Post by FoxMunde »

NeNarrative wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:40 pm

That's irrelevant, they are just being paid to deliver a vehicle, no commercial gain as such 👍
NeNarrative

Post by NeNarrative »

FoxMunde wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:41 pm
NeNarrative wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:40 pm

That's irrelevant, they are just being paid to deliver a vehicle, no commercial gain as such 👍
so a professional driver, driving a vehicle over 3.5T doesn’t have to record their hours?
antfman02

Post by antfman02 »

Agreed 👍 its great people are thinking but you are right a lot of people overthink stuff. However this post has revealed a lot of interesting interpretations of what trade plates are, various definitions of hire and reward and the definition of an operating centre.
Pellexec

Post by Pellexec »

way too much overthinking about a very simple problem as well as a load of duff information about trade plates......😒

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”