Hi everyone, new driver here. Been hearing some conflicting stories at work about print outs. Some guys are telling

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
JacFollow

Hi everyone, new driver here. Been hearing some conflicting stories at work about print outs. Some guys are telling

Post by JacFollow »

Hi everyone, new driver here. Been hearing some conflicting stories at work about print outs. Some guys are telling me to do a print out at the end of every shift and keep them for 28 days and some guys are saying printouts are only required if asked by DVSA or the transport office if I have any infringements. Any help on this is appreciated, cheers 👍
grNayborr

Re: Hi everyone, new driver here. Been hearing some conflicting stories at work about print outs. Some guys are telling

Post by grNayborr »

Only really required if you need a print out for infringements ie over your time or any other issues.
Tomya99

Re: Hi everyone, new driver here. Been hearing some conflicting stories at work about print outs. Some guys are telling

Post by Tomya99 »

From what i learnt on my cpc only if asked by a dvsa officer or if you lost your tacho card as the card does everything and uploaded every 28 days
chaanyism01

Post by chaanyism01 »

Not needed to do a printout for at least 7 years...
NicSupreme

Post by NicSupreme »

I've been told to only do a printout if I want/need to write a reasoning for an infringement
stelTruckA1

Post by stelTruckA1 »

You don’t need to mate. It’s pointless and a waste of paper & time. If you go over your WTD or DT then do a printout to explain the reason and keep hold of it. I haven't done a printout for years.
CalScree

Post by CalScree »

Just make sure you have 3 rolls with you incase you're asked to print 28 days worth by dvsa
balYugi80

Post by balYugi80 »

If you have an infringement do 2 printouts explain why ,when and time keep one on you give the other to transport office other than that no need to printout after every shift DVSA will just put your card in there reader if they want your last 28days
garbesDj

Post by garbesDj »

If your working then do a print out and keep it, it proves the hours you work in case of wage discrepancy.
shunnzo8

Post by shunnzo8 »

as a new driver myself, I do a printout at the end of every shift.
I do it so I have proof of what hours I’ve done and so that I can fill in my time sheet with all the info they require me to put on it.
I also do a printout sometimes during the day if I’m second guessing myself about how long I’ve ‘worked’ so far that day.
Some people will say it’s a waste of paper and they haven’t done a printout in 20 years etc. But I do them for the above reasons and it makes my life easier as I can see right there in black and white what I’ve done and where I’ve fucked up (I got an infringement for going 13mins over WTD in my second week as I had my usual deliveries and the first time I had some timed collections as well, so I was rushing and panicking that I needed to get them done and was only watching my driving time, but hey, mistakes happen and no one is perfect).
But as others have said, if you get an infringement you must do the 2 printouts and write on the back of them.
As a new driver there’s a lot to get used to and if dong a printout makes your life easier then do it!
And I always make sure I’ve got 4 rolls in my cab, again just being extra cautious in case I replace a roll one night and can’t get into the office to get another one and then forget to replace it then I’ve still got 3 rolls with me (which is my companies policy).
grNayborr

Post by grNayborr »

All driving data is on your card for them anyway I would recommend keeping a diary for hours worked and if working on the same vehicle throughout always make sure you do a full manual record to show your rest periods when on return as dvsa now want full 24 hours 7 days aweek of work and rest periods shown, to do this when entering your card it will ask rest until now click yes ok. If you need extra explaining I cab run it through for you!
JacFollow

Post by JacFollow »

grNayborr wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:27 pm All driving data is on your card for them anyway I would recommend keeping a diary for hours worked and if working on the same vehicle throughout always make sure you do a full manual record to show your rest periods when on return as dvsa now want full 24 hours 7 days aweek of work and rest periods shown, to do this when entering your card it will ask rest until now click yes ok. If you need extra explaining I cab run it through for you!
thanks very much man. I’m just the same vehicle every day. When it comes to my WTD recently I’ve been a bit nervous that I’ve been going over it. Been doing 11 hour shifts. Starting at 7 first 15 at around 10:30/11:00 then a 30 min at around the 13:00 mark finishing at 6. Does this sound like infringements to you?
grNayborr

Post by grNayborr »

JacFollow wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:27 pm
grNayborr wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:27 pm All driving data is on your card for them anyway I would recommend keeping a diary for hours worked and if working on the same vehicle throughout always make sure you do a full manual record to show your rest periods when on return as dvsa now want full 24 hours 7 days aweek of work and rest periods shown, to do this when entering your card it will ask rest until now click yes ok. If you need extra explaining I cab run it through for you!
thanks very much man. I’m just the same vehicle every day. When it comes to my WTD recently I’ve been a bit nervous that I’ve been going over it. Been doing 11 hour shifts. Starting at 7 first 15 at around 10:30/11:00 then a 30 min at around the 13:00 mark finishing at 6. Does this sound like infringements to you?
As long as your not working for 6hours directly through driving and other work your just under your wtd
grNayborr

Post by grNayborr »

So driving your maxed out 4.5hrs driving your then allowed. 1.5 other work ie unload load time
AndScoop

Post by AndScoop »

grNayborr wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:28 pm
So driving your maxed out 4.5hrs driving your then allowed. 1.5 other work ie unload load time
yes but say you've done 4hours 26mins and now you're sat at security, how much driving tome do you need to get onto a bay? Will you be able to get your break on the bay?
Aim to stop around the 4 hour mark give you a bit or leeway.
Oh and yes 4 and a half hours drive then you have that an hour and half to work before you need 45 min break presuming you hadn't had any other breaks. This will clear WTD and driving
grNayborr

Post by grNayborr »

AndScoop wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:28 pm
grNayborr wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:28 pm

yes but say you've done 4hours 26mins and now you're sat at security, how much driving tome do you need to get onto a bay? Will you be able to get your break on the bay?
Aim to stop around the 4 hour mark give you a bit or leeway.
Oh and yes 4 and a half hours drive then you have that an hour and half to work before you need 45 min break presuming you hadn't had any other breaks. This will clear WTD and driving
This is within 6 hours of start of day its hard to get your head around it but can explain more what I mean to you directly
jaiCinco

Post by jaiCinco »

As others have said only do a printout if you have an infringement.
If you have an infringement due to being stuck at a delivery/collection point do 2, one for you and give the other to the office. Most companies will then take that off your personnel file.
Also keep a diary, start and finish times, delivery/collection points and if nighting out where you have parked. I also include other details which you may need at a later date
Daancyat5

Post by Daancyat5 »

I’ve been told only to do print outs if I have an infringement as all data is on the card and all vehicle data is in the machine

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”