Hi guys, I’m looking for the best truck sat nav that anyone can recommend. I’ve been fine for 7 months using google

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
halortion82

Hi guys, I’m looking for the best truck sat nav that anyone can recommend. I’ve been fine for 7 months using google

Post by halortion82 »

Hi guys, I’m looking for the best truck sat nav that anyone can recommend. I’ve been fine for 7 months using google maps and planned routes but I’m now joining a different company with more variety so I can’t rely on my knowledge because it’s also in a new area.
We’ve had drivers in the past say they were using a truck nav and it sent them to a low bridge. So if anyone knows the ones to stay away from that would also be helpful. Thankyou (Essex area)
simrytact

Re: Hi guys, I’m looking for the best truck sat nav that anyone can recommend. I’ve been fine for 7 months using google

Post by simrytact »

I use a garmin dezl it's never let me down
KarCanyons

Re: Hi guys, I’m looking for the best truck sat nav that anyone can recommend. I’ve been fine for 7 months using google

Post by KarCanyons »

Don't use live satnav in UK you ar pay by hour use oane with void road any cheap oane y
panner41

Post by panner41 »

Tom tom truck professional is bang on no issues 4 years I've owned one and never hit a bridge 🤣 I drive 16ft trucks
HalDailies

Post by HalDailies »

Buy a low bridge atlas first !! Then just use road Lords, its free !!
panner41

Post by panner41 »

HalDailies wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:30 pm Buy a low bridge atlas first !! Then just use road Lords, its free !!
bad advice. We live in land of the efficient not land of, read a map before your 15 hour day at 3am with 3 hours sleep 🤣
HalDailies

Post by HalDailies »

panner41 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:31 pm
HalDailies wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:30 pm Buy a low bridge atlas first !! Then just use road Lords, its free !!
bad advice. We live in land of the efficient not land of, read a map before your 15 hour day at 3am with 3 hours sleep 🤣
ha ha if u can't read a map your proper shafted when your sat nav throws a wobbler lol
panner41

Post by panner41 »

HalDailies wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:31 pm
ha ha if u can't read a map your proper shafted when your sat nav throws a wobbler lol
The inability to read a map and the logical decision to not add that into the list of safety requirements that are required to drive a truck, are different things. I think you can read a map better than you articulate a sentence and that's how I know you've driven too many miles making other people rich. Woke guy
HalDailies

Post by HalDailies »

panner41 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:32 pm
HalDailies wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:31 pm

The inability to read a map and the logical decision to not add that into the list of safety requirements that are required to drive a truck, are different things. I think you can read a map better than you articulate a sentence and that's how I know you've driven too many miles making other people rich. Woke guy
me woke hardly lol best laugh I've had a day 🤣
DavDandy

Post by DavDandy »

Tom Tom 6250 with live traffic updates and free map updates 100% best out there
aleekinte8

Post by aleekinte8 »

DavDandy wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:33 pm Tom Tom 6250 with live traffic updates and free map updates 100% best out there
Tomtom for me as well.
NorClassy

Post by NorClassy »

down load the Road Lords on your mobile, the best app for truckers
kimussionA1

Post by kimussionA1 »

Garmin is as good as you can get, most of the rest just "piggy back" on other software.
Wyaluggen

Post by Wyaluggen »

Tom Tom 6250, mines perfect I drive a variety of trucks from tankers to double decks and it’s never let me down or got me into any situation I swear by it
DaRodeo

Post by DaRodeo »

Morrison’s 1.99 (standard reply)
beganBan

Post by beganBan »

I vouch for TomTom. And you can connect your 4G to it and get live updates on n road ahead.
If too long of a delay, it will redirect you to fastest route.
You can set vehicle height and all the hazardous materials stuff on it.
I really like the tomtom
LawCritic

Post by LawCritic »

I use Garmin Dezi with a traffic receiver....
NigMunde

Post by NigMunde »

Buy Garmin. Tom tom going crazy sometimes
stentheid52

Post by stentheid52 »

Garmin dezi for me and Google map satellite view To pinpoint exactly where you need to go
GenReader

Post by GenReader »

Tom Tom professional. Full kit was like £320
johrama33

Post by johrama33 »

I use copilot last few yrs never let me down yet
fauMarcs

Post by fauMarcs »

Garmin dezl1000
A lot of functions and big enough
DilTerrific

Post by DilTerrific »

I’ve garmin sometimes it don’t find the postcodes Tom Tom sometimes freezes both decent tho both have faults tho
iorRazor49

Post by iorRazor49 »

it seems younger drivers have lost the ability to use good old atlas's and common sense!
Anstophe

Post by Anstophe »

iorRazor49 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:43 pm it seems younger drivers have lost the ability to use good old atlas's and common sense!
I've been on a few runs with older old school drivers like you. When it was their turn to direct and me they were spinning that map in all directions like crazy not knowing where to go. Or they would do extra miles to get to their destination.
maoricMac

Post by maoricMac »

Anstophe wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:44 pm
iorRazor49 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:43 pm it seems younger drivers have lost the ability to use good old atlas's and common sense!
I've been on a few runs with older old school drivers like you. When it was their turn to direct and me they were spinning that map in all directions like crazy not knowing where to go. Or they would do extra miles to get to their destination.
i’m old and use a map and a sat nav. what i find is when using a map you remember land marks? pub on the corner the rose and crown 2nd left after that etc etc. using a sat nav you don’t remember much, well i don’t anyway it’s just turn right in 200 yards of some mono tone voice from the sat nav. there both good in there own rights
Anstophe

Post by Anstophe »

maoricMac wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:45 pm
Anstophe wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:44 pm
i’m old and use a map and a sat nav. what i find is when using a map you remember land marks? pub on the corner the rose and crown 2nd left after that etc etc. using a sat nav you don’t remember much, well i don’t anyway it’s just turn right in 200 yards of some mono tone voice from the sat nav. there both good in there own rights
That was the perfect way. Using both. But now that the screens are bigger and faster I just use that instead. And you are absolutely right. You do remember them and it's more engaging using the map. But these days I use the satnavs even when I go home from work to avoid getting stuck in traffic. Don't really care much about remembering routes.
halortion82

Post by halortion82 »

it’s not about common sense it’s about doing my job to the best of my ability and avoiding traffic, road closures and being safe so when I’m suddenly diverted I don’t have to pull over and reroute myself.
CopKentros

Post by CopKentros »

technology evolves and makes things more efficient, why carry a crate of maps when you can have it all on a device the size of your hand which much more information
iorRazor49

Post by iorRazor49 »

CopKentros wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:46 pm
technology evolves and makes things more efficient, why carry a crate of maps when you can have it all on a device the size of your hand which much more information
i dont carry a crate of maps, just a wealth of geographical knowledge in my head as most of us old school drivers do
CopKentros

Post by CopKentros »

iorRazor49 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:47 pm
i dont carry a crate of maps, just a wealth of geographical knowledge in my head as most of us old school drivers do
comes with experiences, can’t expect us drivers with 1 years experiences to memorize every single weight, height and width restriction
iorRazor49

Post by iorRazor49 »

CopKentros wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:47 pm

comes with experiences, can’t expect us drivers with 1 years experiences to memorize every single weight, height and width restriction
i know that but what would you do if (as can happen) all your electronic route guides malfunction or cease to work?? I buy a new atlas every year and its always in my cab for reference
CopKentros

Post by CopKentros »

iorRazor49 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:48 pm

i know that but what would you do if (as can happen) all your electronic route guides malfunction or cease to work?? I buy a new atlas every year and its always in my cab for reference
I think the chance of that happening is next to 0, if my TomTom stops working I have my phone
iorRazor49

Post by iorRazor49 »

CopKentros wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:48 pm

I think the chance of that happening is next to 0, if my TomTom stops working I have my phone
so you have never had a phone crash on your or a 12/24v system failure in any vehicle
CopKentros

Post by CopKentros »

iorRazor49 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:56 pm
CopKentros wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:48 pm

so you have never had a phone crash on your or a 12/24v system failure in any vehicle
nope, generally always have a new phone every 3 years. Not had any issues with electronics on lorries
croinfo80

Post by croinfo80 »

Tom Tom go expert, live traffic updates in front of you, speed camera alerts and super fast at recalculate the route, put in a way point if you must go to A certain point of the route,
Anstophe

Post by Anstophe »

I use SYGIC for trucks on a new cheap 8 inch tablet(don't go with old. At least android 11). Or just use it on your phone. Tom Tom and Garmin were too slow for me. It's not perfect but so isn't Tom Tom and Garmin. When you need to reroute quickly or to plan routes and plant points this is blazing fast. And don't buy 4g tablets. Just use hotspot from your phone to give internet to the tablet. Tablet cost me £110 and the app was £65. A good Garmin or TomTom will take you over £400.
ParVivid

Post by ParVivid »

Both tom tom and garmin are market leaders. Stay away from cheap chinese navs like iGo.
halortion82

Post by halortion82 »

Thankyou everyone that was helpful. New job and new roads this will help me eliminate a little bit of nerves.
I’m with a agency so I can peruse a different career path. I took on trucking after I left the army so this is now my opportunity to start something I’d love. Thankyou 🙂
tudzonect5

Post by tudzonect5 »

I have a garmin dezl. It does it’s job but I’d never put all my trust in any satnav.
FlaVenue

Post by FlaVenue »

Chinese hardware with Igo Primo software installed, plenty on Amazon.
Been using it for years now, less than £100
ballopsom

Post by ballopsom »

I've tried a few. Garmim Dezl 800 or 820 the best in my opinion. Few duff routes with TomTom, never had that with the garmin. I also use a second opinion on my phone, Sygic isn't too bad, or if you're on android Road Lords is a free offering, although isn't a good as the paid ones, but at least it avoid low bridges etc. and might tide you over as an improvement on Google Maps until you get something.
IanJean

Post by IanJean »

Road Lords freebie for me. Never put me anywhere unsuitable..
hinCapo

Post by hinCapo »

Keep in mind that it's a device whether Tom Tom or Garmin with date installed in. Don't trust 100%
Always keep your eyes open 👀
All the best 👍
chuMurphy

Post by chuMurphy »

Garmin Dezl 710 hasn't let me down. That or get the tom-tom professional range.
SomBandit

Post by SomBandit »

Tom tom go pro 620 ,I have this one and I never had problems with it
Marppar43

Post by Marppar43 »

I’ve used Navmii in conjunction with a bridge atlas for years without problems, it downloads fully to your phone so still works when your in areas with no signal coverage.
Highly recommended.
Attachments
Photo.jpg
Photo.jpg (26.72 KiB) Viewed 707 times
RicpunnMr

Post by RicpunnMr »

Ohrex 7’’. It is cheap and reliable. No traffic updates

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”