I'm an TM for 3 licenses at the moment. 2 HGV operators totaling 5 trucks and 1 van operator. Just wanted your

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
rohoneeth

I'm an TM for 3 licenses at the moment. 2 HGV operators totaling 5 trucks and 1 van operator. Just wanted your

Post by rohoneeth »

I'm an TM for 3 licenses at the moment. 2 HGV operators totaling 5 trucks and 1 van operator.
Just wanted your thoughts on the van operator side of things. I've been doing it for a few months now and genuinely feel like my position is quite pointless and this whole vans requiring an TM is ridiculous.
If it were in my hands as the TC, I would put van operators with international operations through a mandatory course and basic test (nothing as in depth as the TM one, more so a very watered down one with topics strictly relevant to the van drivers compliance only).
I do my best to support him and currently feel as though my work is more like a consultant rather than a compliance overseer. However, I can't shake off the feeling that I am more of a liability than an asset, unlike with the HGV operators where I genuinely believe my presence makes their lives much much easier.
What are your thoughts on vans having to require an OL?
RyBoost

Re: I'm an TM for 3 licenses at the moment. 2 HGV operators totaling 5 trucks and 1 van operator. Just wanted your

Post by RyBoost »

back in the 70's I had to complete a driving hours log book for even an 8cwt van (like a Vauxhall Astra van), it was only when we started using analogue disks did they say that it only applied to 3.5t and above.
I for one believe that everything over 2.5t will need tacho and be on O Licence before long.
The fact is that today there are couriers in 3.5t Sprinter, Transit or other vans traveling the length if the country with no adherence to GB Domestic rules. I have worked for a number of companies who are well aware of the regs but choose to ignore them.
One National company had a driver collect a pump from Penzance and drive it to Aberdeen stopping only for fuel, almost 700 miles in around 14 hours, the driver had a meal and then took a steady drive back to Cornwall.
denUpdate

Re: I'm an TM for 3 licenses at the moment. 2 HGV operators totaling 5 trucks and 1 van operator. Just wanted your

Post by denUpdate »

The van situation thought currently "light" compared to the HGV side is one that is developing, and this light version is telhe first step. There are plans that tachographs will ve mandatory within 5 years, which will add to the workload, and that will bring in drivers hours and a move to operating centres and PMI.
So hold tight, get in on it early and see how it develops, and be there either to help those that need it, or those that ignored it!
McFeline

Post by McFeline »

denUpdate wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:57 pm The van situation thought currently "light" compared to the HGV side is one that is developing, and this light version is telhe first step. There are plans that tachographs will ve mandatory within 5 years, which will add to the workload, and that will bring in drivers hours and a move to operating centres and PMI.
So hold tight, get in on it early and see how it develops, and be there either to help those that need it, or those that ignored it!
most of this already exists for international work. Drivers hours exist, either eu or uk. So does pmi, ops centre etc etc etc.
Tachos is coming, as Will uk ops license for uk operations.
Rightly so when you see how many overloading, accidents.
arcpart64

Post by arcpart64 »

is spot on the laws will be changing drivers cpc o licence tachograph fitted there will be no difference
BagMajor

Post by BagMajor »

There is already work for you to be doing.
Drivers hours.
Safe loading.
Maintenance regime.
I’m sure there’s more.
rohoneeth

Post by rohoneeth »

BagMajor wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:59 pm There is already work for you to be doing.
Drivers hours.
Safe loading.
Maintenance regime.
I’m sure there’s more.
Yes but realistically for a 1 man van driver, I believe he is able to get all this done himself
rohoneeth

Post by rohoneeth »

BagMajor wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:59 pm There is already work for you to be doing.
Drivers hours.
Safe loading.
Maintenance regime.
I’m sure there’s more.
to be more specific at the moment I just advise on laws of countries he is joining, check working and driving hours, remind him on maintenance.
As mentioned before, for it to be mandatory for him to require someone else for this is a little unfair on him.
One could argue that operators will not take it as seriously as a paid tm, to which I believe there are alternative solutions.
duntzarmi8

Post by duntzarmi8 »

Drivers hours.
Safe loading.
Maintenance regime.
I’m sure there’s more.
there are changes such as the letter of attestation now being accepted so there are things you can do to monitor this. Yes servicing, drivers hours, still a disc/Tacho/printout for 28 days my understanding for regular drivers of 3.5 in Eu??
KyHinch

Post by KyHinch »

duntzarmi8 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:00 pm
Drivers hours.
Safe loading.
Maintenance regime.
I’m sure there’s more.
there are changes such as the letter of attestation now being accepted so there are things you can do to monitor this. Yes servicing, drivers hours, still a disc/Tacho/printout for 28 days my understanding for regular drivers of 3.5 in Eu??
No tacho printouts / disc needed upto 3500kg
duntzarmi8

Post by duntzarmi8 »

KyHinch wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:00 pm
Drivers hours.
Safe loading.
Maintenance regime.
I’m sure there’s more.
eu 28 day law, 3.5 now liable and the 28day rule stands
BagMajor

Post by BagMajor »

duntzarmi8 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:01 pm

does that mean there are no drivers hours regs?
ahmPrahm

Post by ahmPrahm »

vehicles exceeding 2.5 tonnes but not exceeding 3.5 tonnes are currently not in scope of EC 561/2006 (although they will be from July 2026)
duntzarmi8

Post by duntzarmi8 »

ahmPrahm wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:02 pm

vehicles exceeding 2.5 tonnes but not exceeding 3.5 tonnes are currently not in scope of EC 561/2006 (although they will be from July 2026)
o licence and 28day rules stand
ahmPrahm

Post by ahmPrahm »

duntzarmi8 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:02 pm
ahmPrahm wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:02 pm

o licence and 28day rules stand
where does the 28 day rule come from though?
CoJournal

Post by CoJournal »

In the same boat have a van operator with one van and feel it is pointless and that the regulations for o licence are not fit for purpose when it concerns one van that gats use around 10 days a month and there is not definitive answers to questions as all they say is refer to maintenance guide which sure is right but it’s all hgv related and not been updated showing the regulations for van so best practice to be leagal and compliant is stick to terms o licence was granted
Bluecorn

Post by Bluecorn »

rohoneeth wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:56 pm I'm an TM for 3 licenses at the moment. 2 HGV operators totaling 5 trucks and 1 van operator.
Just wanted your thoughts on the van operator side of things. I've been doing it for a few months now and genuinely feel like my position is quite pointless and this whole vans requiring an TM is ridiculous.
If it were in my hands as the TC, I would put van operators with international operations through a mandatory course and basic test (nothing as in depth as the TM one, more so a very watered down one with topics strictly relevant to the van drivers compliance only).
I do my best to support him and currently feel as though my work is more like a consultant rather than a compliance overseer. However, I can't shake off the feeling that I am more of a liability than an asset, unlike with the HGV operators where I genuinely believe my presence makes their lives much much easier.
What are your thoughts on vans having to require an OL?
So how often are the answers abroad? What are they doing when only in the UK, are they mixing Hgv and LCV driving.
Let’s be honest, even if it was a single HGV the TM is quite limited, but the responsibility to the licence remains no. The less snd forgetting that could be costly to the company and the TM.
Just be upfront and communicate with the van operator. Do what’s needed that’s all that’s needed.

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”