Hi guys looking at getting my operating license, I’ll be doing it by my self what unit would you recommend? don’t

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
BilPower

Hi guys looking at getting my operating license, I’ll be doing it by my self what unit would you recommend? don’t

Post by BilPower »

Hi guys looking at getting my operating license, I’ll be doing it by my self what unit would you recommend? don’t want anything that’s gonna be to much to fuel and maintain. Looking at the 19-23k mark. Do like the Volvo fh’s, what’s your recommendations?
annSnoop

Re: Hi guys looking at getting my operating license, I’ll be doing it by my self what unit would you recommend? don’t

Post by annSnoop »

Daf, Scania. It depends what you want to do
JayActive

Re: Hi guys looking at getting my operating license, I’ll be doing it by my self what unit would you recommend? don’t

Post by JayActive »

Every one has a different preference when it comes to wagons. The best thing to do is do your research and then go shopping and don’t rush into anything cause if u pick a lemon there goes all your profit and as a new start u defo don’t need that
keiLunatic

Post by keiLunatic »

Buy none they eat up lots money and lorrys are same now crap
WelSteve

Post by WelSteve »

I am in the same boat mate. I am going to applying for my operations license. I have seen 66plate dafs with 700000 km on for 12000 but heard story's of the problems they come with. I like the scania but they are a little more expensive. It's a tough one
joeSunny

Post by joeSunny »

WelSteve wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:58 pm I am in the same boat mate. I am going to applying for my operations license. I have seen 66plate dafs with 700000 km on for 12000 but heard story's of the problems they come with. I like the scania but they are a little more expensive. It's a tough one
don't even consider a daf problem after problem but some think like old style r450 is rock solid in general. More likely to get a good motor than any second hand daf
WelSteve

Post by WelSteve »

joeSunny wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:59 pm
WelSteve wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:58 pm I am in the same boat mate. I am going to applying for my operations license. I have seen 66plate dafs with 700000 km on for 12000 but heard story's of the problems they come with. I like the scania but they are a little more expensive. It's a tough one
don't even consider a daf problem after problem but some think like old style r450 is rock solid in general. More likely to get a good motor than any second hand daf
I worked for a guy who only ran scania and they where great motors but I know a guy who swears by dafs who runs 15 so think it's like buy any vehicle. If you get a good one and look after it they will last you
moonedx99

Post by moonedx99 »

Mate 23k is enough to hire a tractor for 1 year. Do that. If business goes well you can then buy or keep hire.if you have that money in your bank and looking to buy one don't do it. Don't block the money.
LarExpert

Post by LarExpert »

moonedx99 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:00 pm Mate 23k is enough to hire a tractor for 1 year. Do that. If business goes well you can then buy or keep hire.if you have that money in your bank and looking to buy one don't do it. Don't block the money.
that’s the worst advice. 23k down the drain.
toncept06

Post by toncept06 »

Rental for six months it's easy to give back its a very bad time out there at the moment
Doyomedia

Post by Doyomedia »

Volvo, Renault T- high
Best reliable trucks at the moment
milparaff2

Post by milparaff2 »

Literally the next post below (on my feed). Assuming this was bought recently that’s a £26-32k motor. There’s your answer if it was bought a year ago then £5-7k more!
I’d be renting one. Gearbox goes 300 miles from home on a Friday morning and it’s then not your issue. £20k isn’t enough to be throwing at a truck unless your handy on the spanners and cute about parts scouring IMO and yeah been there
Attachments
Photo.jpg
Photo.jpg (53.82 KiB) Viewed 396 times
SteJean

Post by SteJean »

I learned something when I opened my business 7 years ago. I had two trucks, Renault Premium at that time. One of them has massive engine problems. Lucky both was approved used vehicles from the main dealer and both on warranty.
The repair cost almost £10000.
If I had to pay the repair from my own pocket, I was out from the business straight away. Since that, I always buy trucks from the main dealer with warranty. The vehicles are bit more expensive but at least you have the warranty and everything happens, you are covered. Yes, this may not happen to anyone but there is a chance. Just be careful what vehicle are you looking to buy. Good luck
BilPower

Post by BilPower »

SteJean wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:03 pm I learned something when I opened my business 7 years ago. I had two trucks, Renault Premium at that time. One of them has massive engine problems. Lucky both was approved used vehicles from the main dealer and both on warranty.
The repair cost almost £10000.
If I had to pay the repair from my own pocket, I was out from the business straight away. Since that, I always buy trucks from the main dealer with warranty. The vehicles are bit more expensive but at least you have the warranty and everything happens, you are covered. Yes, this may not happen to anyone but there is a chance. Just be careful what vehicle are you looking to buy. Good luck
cheers mate I’ll definitely have a look see what I can sort out
wathagger

Post by wathagger »

I would say go for a scania, they maybe a bit more expensive but they will save you money on fuel and maintenance for sure
VicBradley

Post by VicBradley »

I've been in business for 7 years now never had a rental or r&m on anything my advice would be stay away from Volvo as theyre a pain in the arse with sensors and AdBlue faults also shite on mpg and expensive to fix also AdBlue consumption is horrendous I know I've had 3 of them and friends also have from 14-18 plates and they're all the same. I have 2 mercs currently and they're fantastic I also run a Daf Xf yes they both can suffer with faults but are cheaper to fix than others bare in mind Renault is Volvo and the other manufacturers aren't without fault ... look at the back up near you also it depends on how happy you are to be hands on with maintenance if you don't want to touch it look at renting one although you'll pay a lot more you can to some extent have no worries. A friend swears by Man and tbh the back up and service he has had has been brilliant but then the mpg isn't that great compared to others and again his dealer is fantastic are others ? At the end of the day it's all down to luck but if you do go ahead then I hope you get lucky
BilPower

Post by BilPower »

VicBradley wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:05 pm I've been in business for 7 years now never had a rental or r&m on anything my advice would be stay away from Volvo as theyre a pain in the arse with sensors and AdBlue faults also shite on mpg and expensive to fix also AdBlue consumption is horrendous I know I've had 3 of them and friends also have from 14-18 plates and they're all the same. I have 2 mercs currently and they're fantastic I also run a Daf Xf yes they both can suffer with faults but are cheaper to fix than others bare in mind Renault is Volvo and the other manufacturers aren't without fault ... look at the back up near you also it depends on how happy you are to be hands on with maintenance if you don't want to touch it look at renting one although you'll pay a lot more you can to some extent have no worries. A friend swears by Man and tbh the back up and service he has had has been brilliant but then the mpg isn't that great compared to others and again his dealer is fantastic are others ? At the end of the day it's all down to luck but if you do go ahead then I hope you get lucky
cheers mate I’ve also heard that the dafs are cheaper to maintain. I’ll definitely bare in mind a merc just unsure of the driving position 😂.
VicBradley

Post by VicBradley »

BilPower wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:05 pm
VicBradley wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:05 pm I've been in business for 7 years now never had a rental or r&m on anything my advice would be stay away from Volvo as theyre a pain in the arse with sensors and AdBlue faults also shite on mpg and expensive to fix also AdBlue consumption is horrendous I know I've had 3 of them and friends also have from 14-18 plates and they're all the same. I have 2 mercs currently and they're fantastic I also run a Daf Xf yes they both can suffer with faults but are cheaper to fix than others bare in mind Renault is Volvo and the other manufacturers aren't without fault ... look at the back up near you also it depends on how happy you are to be hands on with maintenance if you don't want to touch it look at renting one although you'll pay a lot more you can to some extent have no worries. A friend swears by Man and tbh the back up and service he has had has been brilliant but then the mpg isn't that great compared to others and again his dealer is fantastic are others ? At the end of the day it's all down to luck but if you do go ahead then I hope you get lucky
cheers mate I’ve also heard that the dafs are cheaper to maintain. I’ll definitely bare in mind a merc just unsure of the driving position 😂.
it's each to their own mate I can only speak from my personal experience there's also a few cheaper dafs about I'll send you a link to one I'm in no way linked to the seller just caught my eye
BilPower

Post by BilPower »

VicBradley wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:05 pm
BilPower wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:05 pm
it's each to their own mate I can only speak from my personal experience there's also a few cheaper dafs about I'll send you a link to one I'm in no way linked to the seller just caught my eye
cheers mate will have a look
rudntorex

Post by rudntorex »

had the same experience with Renault 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
oliceller40

Post by oliceller40 »

I've found daf to be best on fuel tbh but the warning lights an uncompatible trailer warnings
Merc/scania best for power but you only need that sort of power if your running about in Wales Scotland/Europe
But I also like the man trucks
They all have good things but many down sides
AleGriffon

Post by AleGriffon »

first of all why would you like to start in such bad times for transport now?
BilPower

Post by BilPower »

AleGriffon wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:08 pm first of all why would you like to start in such bad times for transport now?
how I see it is, if I don’t do it now I don’t think I’ll ever do it. Also I’ve already got a contract waiting for me on low loaders so don’t have to worry about getting work. But yes it’s shit times but at what point will it calm down and go back to how it was🤷‍♂️
AleGriffon

Post by AleGriffon »

BilPower wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:08 pm
AleGriffon wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:08 pm first of all why would you like to start in such bad times for transport now?
how I see it is, if I don’t do it now I don’t think I’ll ever do it. Also I’ve already got a contract waiting for me on low loaders so don’t have to worry about getting work. But yes it’s shit times but at what point will it calm down and go back to how it was🤷‍♂️
if you have a contract with black on white mate then i wish you good luck 🙂
johrewe08

Post by johrewe08 »

They are all sh*te 🙈each suffers with some sort of problem
CriKiddo

Post by CriKiddo »

Make sure when your O Licence is granted you get regular work that pays before you even get truck...then decide weather to rent or buy. But being Honest why start now no money in haulage firms going bust
BilPower

Post by BilPower »

CriKiddo wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:09 pm Make sure when your O Licence is granted you get regular work that pays before you even get truck...then decide weather to rent or buy. But being Honest why start now no money in haulage firms going bust
I’ve got a contract waiting for me, it is shit times for haulage I get that but at what point will we go back to how it was, it might not which if it doesn’t I’ll have just wasted time in my opinion.
ProRaven

Post by ProRaven »

HI if you are looking for a competitive finance quote on your initial purchases please do get in touch.
gonllamar42

Post by gonllamar42 »

i got a 64 reg actros for 10k+vat. mot till end of the year.
MarUpfor

Post by MarUpfor »

If you are buying with cash just make sure you have enough left to see you through until the money actually starts coming in, also plenty in the contingency pot to cover unexpected costs (more than the £8k stipulated).
If after buying the unit cashflow is going to be tight consider getting the truck on finance over 3 to 5 years, maybe you could increase your budget doing it this way too, it will cost you a bit more in the long run but keep more liquidity in the business, even good businesses can go bump due to short term cash flow issues!
Should say I'm not an operator but have been doing plenty of research into it as might do it myself.

Return to “Haulage companies | Owner-drivers and fleet owners | General discussions”