Hello, If a driver drives a 3.5t van with a Tacho fitted do they have to use it? I’ve read a few different things,

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
AsWhereas

Hello, If a driver drives a 3.5t van with a Tacho fitted do they have to use it? I’ve read a few different things,

Post by AsWhereas »

Hello, If a driver drives a 3.5t van with a Tacho fitted do they have to use it? I’ve read a few different things, yes / no / yes but out of scope…
marRocker

Re: Hello, If a driver drives a 3.5t van with a Tacho fitted do they have to use it? I’ve read a few different things,

Post by marRocker »

If no trailer then no it doesn’t have to be used, instead should be set to out of scope. The driver must do a manual entry next time they drive a vehicle that is in scope.
ToFortune

Re: Hello, If a driver drives a 3.5t van with a Tacho fitted do they have to use it? I’ve read a few different things,

Post by ToFortune »

Does the driver drive HGV? Does the van go international? Does the driver go international. Does the van Tow a trailer at anytime? What is the vehicle moving? If own goods it’s different than of say moving items for hire and reward.
AsWhereas

Post by AsWhereas »

ToFortune wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:49 pm Does the driver drive HGV? Does the van go international? Does the driver go international. Does the van Tow a trailer at anytime? What is the vehicle moving? If own goods it’s different than of say moving items for hire and reward.
it’s transporting our own goods, no international driving. Some drivers hold a hgv licence some don’t. Van does tow a trailer which we use the tacho for
marRocker

Post by marRocker »

ToFortune wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:49 pm Does the driver drive HGV? Does the van go international? Does the driver go international. Does the van Tow a trailer at anytime? What is the vehicle moving? If own goods it’s different than of say moving items for hire and reward.
It doesn’t make any difference if the driver also drives an HGV or what the van is carrying, a 3.5T van (with no trailer) is always out of scope in the UK.
hawnessio

Post by hawnessio »

I bet everyone’s answer will be different on this one. We have various vans some with, some without tachos.
My opinion, if not in scope, then it should be out of scope no card. If it’s in scope(towing etc) then of course card in.
In Germany if a van has a tacho fitted it must be used.
Question, why do you have vehicles with tacho’s fitted?
AsWhereas

Post by AsWhereas »

hawnessio wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:50 pm I bet everyone’s answer will be different on this one. We have various vans some with, some without tachos.
My opinion, if not in scope, then it should be out of scope no card. If it’s in scope(towing etc) then of course card in.
In Germany if a van has a tacho fitted it must be used.
Question, why do you have vehicles with tacho’s fitted?
for towing trailers
KyRavager

Post by KyRavager »

Depends on use. I can drive a 7.5t truck for personal use with no card in, yet if its for work purposes then the card must be in.
marRocker

Post by marRocker »

KyRavager wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:51 pm Depends on use. I can drive a 7.5t truck for personal use with no card in, yet if its for work purposes then the card must be in.
On a 7.5T correct, but this is 3.5T so card doesn’t need to be in for work.
grayxines8

Post by grayxines8 »

On the face of it, NO.
BUT, possibly depending on other factors.
TerrHoop

Post by TerrHoop »

If the driver was a Hgv driver, I would encourage him/her to use the tacho in scope for continuous entries.
dalmage53

Post by dalmage53 »

TerrHoop wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:52 pm If the driver was a Hgv driver, I would encourage him/her to use the tacho in scope for continuous entries.
the only thing with doing that is that driving would be recorded as driving and not other work
TerrHoop

Post by TerrHoop »

dalmage53 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:53 pm
TerrHoop wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:52 pm If the driver was a Hgv driver, I would encourage him/her to use the tacho in scope for continuous entries.
the only thing with doing that is that driving would be recorded as driving and not other work
see your point to keep driving hours down!
dalmage53

Post by dalmage53 »

TerrHoop wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:53 pm
no, driving of 3.5T vehicles is recorded as other work in manual entries, but couldn’t do that with a card in
SimMegs

Post by SimMegs »

no, driving of 3.5T vehicles is recorded as other work in manual entries, but couldn’t do that with a card in
Put it in Slot2 on other work, or Slot1 out of scope.
dalmage53

Post by dalmage53 »

SimMegs wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:54 pm

Put it in Slot2 on other work, or Slot1 out of scope.
once the truck moves it reverts to POA doesn’t it?
kerpromed

Post by kerpromed »

We have vans with Tacho, drivers use cards all the time this makes sure all hours are records and saves manual entries.
AbbNess

Post by AbbNess »

Rightly or wrongly, I have advised such drivers to drive with the tachograph card in at all times. I have assured them that, in the unlikely event of this causing an unjustified driving time infringement, it will not be enforced and will not show on their records.

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”