Hi, Recently had Hgv medical but got revoked due to high blood pressure. Letter from DVLA requests 3 separate blood

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
GarMoto88

Hi, Recently had Hgv medical but got revoked due to high blood pressure. Letter from DVLA requests 3 separate blood

Post by GarMoto88 »

Hi, Recently had Hgv medical but got revoked due to high blood pressure.
Letter from DVLA requests 3 separate blood pressure readings then they will review and decide if I get my heavy goods back. I'm on medication for it but will this go against me plus next birthday I'm 60.
Has anyone had a similar situation, did the licence get reinstated.
I've been driving over 35 years so a bit worried now.
alaWalker

Re: Hi, Recently had Hgv medical but got revoked due to high blood pressure. Letter from DVLA requests 3 separate blood

Post by alaWalker »

Mine was just over but kept my licence mate, you need chase this like crazy because they won't do anything
poolarr44

Re: Hi, Recently had Hgv medical but got revoked due to high blood pressure. Letter from DVLA requests 3 separate blood

Post by poolarr44 »

I had my medical for my 55th birthday and I've got high blood pressure but it's controlled by medication, there was no problem getting my HGV renewal back from DVLA x
bordereau

Post by bordereau »

Had similar, had to go to Drs and have 3 separate monitor readings below the 100 on the bottom reading, Dr readjusted medication and been fine since, I bought a monitor for £20 and regularly check my own to keep on top 👍🏾
QueBunny

Post by QueBunny »

Ya I had it you get license back when it’s back under control get to doctors get medication sorted
TonytomDeray

Post by TonytomDeray »

Started taking Blood pressure tablets 16 years ago aged 40. No problem with licence as its controlled.
AnProdigy

Post by AnProdigy »

Just remember to take your medication at the same time everyday and if your taking your own reading take it at 3 separate times and use the lowest and do one before you have a hot drink as it will be lower especially in the morning
truNetwork

Post by truNetwork »

Get your mp involved pal. I've just had loads of hassle with dvla. Mp sorted it out for me.
hyphaeresis

Post by hyphaeresis »

I've been on blood pressure medication for 20yrs and no issues. Once the medications settles your bp down you will get it back. My advice to ALL drivers is get your bp checked by your doctor once a year at least.
Inosculate

Post by Inosculate »

hyphaeresis wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:30 pm I've been on blood pressure medication for 20yrs and no issues. Once the medications settles your bp down you will get it back. My advice to ALL drivers is get your bp checked by your doctor once a year at least.
or buy a home blood pressure machine. £ 30 on Amazon.
hyphaeresis

Post by hyphaeresis »

Inosculate wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:30 pm
hyphaeresis wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:30 pm I've been on blood pressure medication for 20yrs and no issues. Once the medications settles your bp down you will get it back. My advice to ALL drivers is get your bp checked by your doctor once a year at least.
Those monitors are never 100% accurate. A trip to your own doctors/nurse for a regular bp measurement is a good idea.
Inosculate

Post by Inosculate »

hyphaeresis wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:31 pm
Those monitors are never 100% accurate. A trip to your own doctors/nurse for a regular bp measurement is a good idea.
Diet and exercise are the real answer.
hyphaeresis

Post by hyphaeresis »

Inosculate wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:31 pm

I lost a load of weight and trained for 12 months for a charity cycle ride in 2012 from Leeds to Austria (1150 miles in 12 days) my blood pressure never changed and still have exactly the same medication. Sometimes weight & fitness has nothing to do with it.
Inosculate

Post by Inosculate »

hyphaeresis wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:32 pm

I lost a load of weight and trained for 12 months for a charity cycle ride in 2012 from Leeds to Austria (1150 miles in 12 days) my blood pressure never changed and still have exactly the same medication. Sometimes weight & fitness has nothing to do with it.
in your case that certainly appears to be so.
WalSolomon

Post by WalSolomon »

I was advised to stop smoking and 20 years later I still have to watch my BP. It actually went higher when I stopped.
palyseaser42

Post by palyseaser42 »

good advice
dactylonomy

Post by dactylonomy »

What was your reading we get a tolerance of 200/100
HolOmaha

Post by HolOmaha »

Hiya
Yes I had my licence took away as my blood pressure was 101 /140
I have white coat syndrome which means if a doctor takes it then it goes up
I brought a machine at home and recorded it over 3 days morning and night which was ok
I went to the doctor and he took my readings and I got it back
There are loads of ways to get your pressure down before you go again so look them up
Good luck mate
katGravity

Post by katGravity »

HolOmaha wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:50 pm Hiya
I brought a machine at home and recorded it over 3 days morning and night which was ok
There are loads of ways to get your pressure down before you go again so look them up
Good luck mate
my dad was the same I bought him a machine & they got him to do a weeks worth of recordings 3 x a day and got dvla to sign his medical off. The nurse had said that if his blood pressure was actually as high as he was recording at the gps he would of been dead. White coat syndrome is a recognized disorder so as long as your readings at home are ok the doctor will happily take them as what your blood pressure is
palyseaser42

Post by palyseaser42 »

HolOmaha wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:50 pm Hiya
Good luck mate
same as my experience
dactylonomy

Post by dactylonomy »

My friend had medical he was 170/101 he could still drive but had to do 3 b/p to be under 100 only meds took him a couple of weeks once was under threshold dvla issued his license, do mine b/p regular I’m high 160/97 at most but normally low 90’s passed my medical with that but he said keep a eye on it or I have to go on medication
palyseaser42

Post by palyseaser42 »

dactylonomy wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:53 pm My friend had medical he was 170/101 he could still drive but had to do 3 b/p to be under 100 only meds took him a couple of weeks once was under threshold dvla issued his license, do mine b/p regular I’m high 160/97 at most but normally low 90’s passed my medical with that but he said keep a eye on it or I have to go on medication
blimey I'd go on medication for that BP!
dactylonomy

Post by dactylonomy »

palyseaser42 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:53 pm
dactylonomy wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:53 pm My friend had medical he was 170/101 he could still drive but had to do 3 b/p to be under 100 only meds took him a couple of weeks once was under threshold dvla issued his license, do mine b/p regular I’m high 160/97 at most but normally low 90’s passed my medical with that but he said keep a eye on it or I have to go on medication
passed medical lol that’s all that matters been trying to get a doctors appointment not a f@@king chance! I went hospital last week for something they did my b/p I was 150-88
Libaniferous

Post by Libaniferous »

palyseaser42 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:53 pm
you should try 244/ 120 then ask about medication! The nurses nearly fainted and said I should be passed out but I only had cellulitis 😂
fibrilliform

Post by fibrilliform »

had the same thing get the doctor to do 3 checks at least a week apart I am on Ramipril and no problem since and iam 72
WilLaxr

Post by WilLaxr »

I'm been on tablets since my 55th birthday off road six month but dvla was on strike.
CHECK FOR WHITECOAT SYNDROME.
steHunter

Post by steHunter »

WilLaxr wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:57 pm I'm been on tablets since my 55th birthday off road six month but dvla was on strike.
CHECK FOR WHITECOAT SYNDROME.
what is white coat syndrome?
GilJewel

Post by GilJewel »

I have white coat syndrome and every time I went for my HGV medical my blood pressure went high I was told to drink a glass of natural pure beetroot juice for 2 days before and on the day of the medical and never had any problems for the next 5 medicals upto my 68th birthday Im retired now though
dactylonomy

Post by dactylonomy »

Just a question has or are anyone using the blood pressure tablets you can buy from the likes of Holland and Barrett and do they work
palyseaser42

Post by palyseaser42 »

I got a medical licence after Diabetes and so next medical had high blood pressure mainly due to white coat syndrome. They accepted a Doctor's letter that I didn't have high blood pressure. I'd advise you to buy a blood pressure monitor at home as that puts a nice tick in the box that you regularly monitor it
sauShiya

Post by sauShiya »

palyseaser42 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:02 pm I got a medical licence after Diabetes and so next medical had high blood pressure mainly due to white coat syndrome. They accepted a Doctor's letter that I didn't have high blood pressure. I'd advise you to buy a blood pressure monitor at home as that puts a nice tick in the box that you regularly monitor it
good reply. I have white coat syndrome too. They take my BP 3 times in a row - last one always much lower.
palyseaser42

Post by palyseaser42 »

sauShiya wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:05 pm
palyseaser42 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:02 pm I got a medical licence after Diabetes and so next medical had high blood pressure mainly due to white coat syndrome. They accepted a Doctor's letter that I didn't have high blood pressure. I'd advise you to buy a blood pressure monitor at home as that puts a nice tick in the box that you regularly monitor it
good reply. I have white coat syndrome too. They take my BP 3 times in a row - last one always much lower.
I have regular BP checks at the Doctors/hospital/drivers medical and it is always high. When I do it at home sometimes high but mainly within the driving requirements. The Doctor and hospital accept it as it records on my phone. I just have to cross my fingers it doesn't go too high at a medical lol
Lavrame34

Post by Lavrame34 »

hi, what is white coat syndrome please?
melanojam95

Post by melanojam95 »

like when your going to the doctor's and you get a bit stressed about going, those with high blood will worry about the results which will increase there blood pressure
Bit of a vicious circle 🙄
palyseaser42

Post by palyseaser42 »

melanojam95 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:06 pm
like when your going to the doctor's and you get a bit stressed about going, those with high blood will worry about the results which will increase there blood pressure
Bit of a vicious circle 🙄
I don't really get or feel stressed when I goto the Doctor but I still suffer White Coat Syndrome, its a very strange thing. As I said my blood pressure is always higher when I visit someone medical. I monitor my blood pressure every day and it's well within the guidance of where it should be for my condition
ClosegTsetse

Post by ClosegTsetse »

Ask your gp to give you high blood pressure tablers
ChilannyBo

Post by ChilannyBo »

Had 24 hour Bp monitor on from doctors. Took 3 1/2 weeks to fight to get it back 5 yrs ago
dimi99Aloof

Post by dimi99Aloof »

The requirements about blood pressure for driving hgvs, trains, taxi's are it should be lower than 180/100 that's pretty high!! Get loads more fish, salmon, tuna, low fat fish in your diet and exercise!! Hey presto license back!!
Kittiwake

Post by Kittiwake »

dimi99Aloof wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:10 pm The requirements about blood pressure for driving hgvs, trains, taxi's are it should be lower than 180/100 that's pretty high!! Get loads more fish, salmon, tuna, low fat fish in your diet and exercise!! Hey presto license back!!
not the case for people that suffer from white coat syndrome. My blood pressure is fine but spikes really high when I go to the docs. Can't be helped, had to go on a 24 hour monitor to prove I didn't have an issue.
rainmaker

Post by rainmaker »

Had the same problem with my 45th birthday. Got white syndrome which did not help. I found have the Dr do a manual blood pressure not do the machine pressure.
Quizzity

Post by Quizzity »

I've been through this some years back. 3x BP readings on different days with the practice nurse, ECG, full blood tests, then a 24 hour cuff. It all showed there was no specific underlying medical reason for the hypertension (it was stress due to a long running personal situation). After three months I got my entitlement back. Only difference is that my situation didn't require medication.
ricochet93

Post by ricochet93 »

Ime on tablets for blood pressure with no truble
WilLaxr

Post by WilLaxr »

I was similar but they gave me 12 months to get it under control. I had to have test once a month. Anything else I can help you with.
burCampy71

Post by burCampy71 »

I take meds for high blood pressure...its not an issue, it's extremely common.
deaMegs01

Post by deaMegs01 »

Happened to me. Soon got it sorted by the doctor.
StPrecise

Post by StPrecise »

They took my licence off me because I had af fibrillation got put on tablets by doctor but dvla took 2 months before they would give me my licence back they are unreal
beaFree

Post by beaFree »

What will be will be mate don't worry about it. Your health is more important than any job. Good luck and hopefully your well soon 👍
MunBlond

Post by MunBlond »

I've been on the blood meds for years ,and they work for me. Still driving at 73!!
miJeans12

Post by miJeans12 »

don’t worry about it just chill out sort it out with doctors for your 3 separate bp levels will get licence back I’ve done it a few times still getting my licence back at 73 just chill out the more you worry the higher the bp reading
GarMoto88

Post by GarMoto88 »

miJeans12 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:16 pm don’t worry about it just chill out sort it out with doctors for your 3 separate bp levels will get licence back I’ve done it a few times still getting my licence back at 73 just chill out the more you worry the higher the bp reading
cheers mate
JamEcho

Post by JamEcho »

My first medical I had, when going for my provisional, the doctor said my blood pressure was a bit high, I might want to get it checked out. No shit sherlock, I had a heart attack three days later...

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”