Strapping of light palletized loads within Cutainsiders. I cant seem to find any definitive law regarding this, only

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
ALSurreal

Strapping of light palletized loads within Cutainsiders. I cant seem to find any definitive law regarding this, only

Post by ALSurreal »

Strapping of light palletized loads within Cutainsiders.
I cant seem to find any definitive law regarding this, only guidelines, and then also fines for not following the guidelines, effectively making the guidelines law.
Assuming that the Cutainsiders are XL rated, loads are preloaded, some are under 400 per pallet, some unstacked, but all unstrapped. What are the requirements for light palletized loads ito strapping. Particularly on multidrop with secure loads, where you have to remove the cord, loosen the buckles and then strap up ( without assistance).
I'm observing many drivers at various drops with similar rigs not strapping loads, saying it's not necessary because the curtains are XL rated...
Please could this be clarified.
UltimaUlf

Re: Strapping of light palletized loads within Cutainsiders. I cant seem to find any definitive law regarding this, only

Post by UltimaUlf »

Alex Gabb can help you with this mate try to ask him.
ropernet54

Re: Strapping of light palletized loads within Cutainsiders. I cant seem to find any definitive law regarding this, only

Post by ropernet54 »

Got to be a positive fit but you will need to strap rear 2 pallets, depends on weights on the pallets aswell
ropernet54

Post by ropernet54 »

actually I'm not 100 percent sure on that
NemSeen

Post by NemSeen »

ropernet54 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:41 pm actually I'm not 100 percent sure on that
ditto 😂
NemSeen

Post by NemSeen »

We've been told that the load only needs restraining to stop forwards/backwards momentum if the curtains are XL load bearing rated as none of our gears strapped either other than each row between pallets/roll cages, ours are tipped through the rear doors onto dock levelers though so the curtains don't get opened as such. But also interested in this as I haven't done much curtain work.
My only thoughts would be you'd have to be opening the curtains and loading through the sides in order to get any side straps in place to begin with, which thinking about it I'm sure don't actually exist for sideways restraint on our XL trailers as they're effectively treated as a box trailer 🤔🤔
ALSurreal

Post by ALSurreal »

NemSeen wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:42 pm We've been told that the load only needs restraining to stop forwards/backwards momentum if the curtains are XL load bearing rated as none of our gears strapped either other than each row between pallets/roll cages, ours are tipped through the rear doors onto dock levelers though so the curtains don't get opened as such. But also interested in this as I haven't done much curtain work.
My only thoughts would be you'd have to be opening the curtains and loading through the sides in order to get any side straps in place to begin with, which thinking about it I'm sure don't actually exist for sideways restraint on our XL trailers as they're effectively treated as a box trailer 🤔🤔
if you want to keep the curtains in place you have to unbuckle and then have to push the strap through the gap each time. Real pain. Takes a lot of time.
corfepoA1

Post by corfepoA1 »

NemSeen wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:42 pm We've been told that the load only needs restraining to stop forwards/backwards momentum if the curtains are XL load bearing rated as none of our gears strapped either other than each row between pallets/roll cages, ours are tipped through the rear doors onto dock levelers though so the curtains don't get opened as such. But also interested in this as I haven't done much curtain work.
it might be a pain in the butt those extra few minutes could make all the difference in an accident and piece of mind. Safety first all part of being an experienced lorry driver‼
ALSurreal

Post by ALSurreal »

corfepoA1 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:43 pm
it might be a pain in the butt those extra few minutes could make all the difference in an accident and piece of mind. Safety first all part of being an experienced lorry driver‼
absolutely, but when the trailer isn't designed to take straps, as opposed to curtains, it's an issue.
NemSeen

Post by NemSeen »

corfepoA1 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:43 pm
I wasn't Menomonee it in that way, they're physically not there to use on the sides
CouTactic

Post by CouTactic »

Great Post. There’s so much ‘he said this’ and ‘my mate reckons’ that a lot of us just end up guessing.
ALSurreal

Post by ALSurreal »

yup read this, but positive fit is also open to debate when the warehouse has already loaded it, closed the curtains and want you off the bay.
NemSeen

Post by NemSeen »

so basically straps unless entirely full but nothing in terms of sideways restraint
reyRunning

Post by reyRunning »

NemSeen wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:46 pm
so basically straps unless entirely full but nothing in terms of sideways restraint
yeah it's a grey area, the way I see it. If you're already debating whether or not a load is secure enough then you need to secure it more.
ALSurreal

Post by ALSurreal »

reyRunning wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:47 pm
NemSeen wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:46 pm
yeah it's a grey area, the way I see it. If you're already debating whether or not a load is secure enough then you need to secure it more.
of course sometimes one has to drop in the middle and the load left is in the front and rear.
FenWeekly

Post by FenWeekly »

interesting. I had been wondering this myself. We regularly load up pallets full of drinks in plastic bottles. We had been told (as it’s a positive fit), just use the internals to cross strap the rear. Apparently the DVSA had been pulling vehicles coming out of this depot, but I don’t know any outcomes as none of our guys got stopped.
corfepoA1

Post by corfepoA1 »

If it moves strap it dont rely on the curtains to hold it in if it comes out the side you could be done for an insecure load or hurt someone. Do it for your own piece of mind!!
ALSurreal

Post by ALSurreal »

corfepoA1 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:49 pm If it moves strap it dont rely on the curtains to hold it in if it comes out the side you could be done for an insecure load or hurt someone. Do it for your own piece of mind!!
absolutely, but I'm trying to get a law on this
NemSeen

Post by NemSeen »

ALSurreal wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:49 pm
corfepoA1 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:49 pm If it moves strap it dont rely on the curtains to hold it in if it comes out the side you could be done for an insecure load or hurt someone. Do it for your own piece of mind!!
the strapping for sideways restraint isn't there though like on a normal curtainsider when it's an XL
corfepoA1

Post by corfepoA1 »

NemSeen wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:50 pm
the strapping for sideways restraint isn't there though like on a normal curtainsider when it's an XL
if I had low pallets I would put a strap from one side of the trailer around the centre blocks of the pallets to the other side of the trailer rachet it up no movement. Job done.👌👌👌
FenWeekly

Post by FenWeekly »

our XL trailers have internal straps too if that’s what you mean
corfepoA1

Post by corfepoA1 »

FenWeekly wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:51 pm

our XL trailers have internal straps too if that’s what you mean
do you mean hanging down from the top you can use these to but use extra straps to hold the pallets or loads in place.
MalGutsy

Post by MalGutsy »

Did dvsa not change the rules it used to be any pallet over 400 kg had to be strapped but I believe now any thing no matter how small or light it has to be strapped down regardless of xl rated curtain or positive fit
ALSurreal

Post by ALSurreal »

MalGutsy wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:52 pm Did dvsa not change the rules it used to be any pallet over 400 kg had to be strapped but I believe now any thing no matter how small or light it has to be strapped down regardless of xl rated curtain or positive fit
yes there are now guidelines regarding this. The test is five questions, and when you read them basically you need to strap everything. My issue is the trailer itself. No internal straps, curtains with secure loads have that cordage that has to be removed to unbuckle a section..it's a real mission to restrap each time. And it's even worse when we unload mainly through rear the straps need to be reworked through the curtain onto the chassis rail that the curtain straps hook onto.
simrytact

Post by simrytact »

I had this earlier on today. Got paranoid so spent nearly an hour strapping pallets. It gave me peace if mind I got home late.... but I got home safe and so did everyone else I passed
KarCanyons

Post by KarCanyons »

With XL curtains they’re alright to be unstrapped as long as you strap the back in an X with internals but only if it’s a positive fit (at least within 80mm of the curtain with the pallets touching each other) if the load is double stacked then you should strap it. I only follow this with light loads anything more strap it. If you’re in doubt strap the load just to be safe. When I was on multidrop I tried to at the least use the internals unless it was heavy or will move.
NemSeen

Post by NemSeen »

Attachments
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (69.57 KiB) Viewed 548 times
NemSeen

Post by NemSeen »

So anything outside these conditions needs strapping up
panner41

Post by panner41 »

Ive used XL curtains a fair bit on straight frame and double deckers, i will always strap internally, even if the trailer is tight fitting from headboard to the back, its piece of mind for one and if you do get pulled, there not gonna be doing you for being too cautious. There is alot of drivers out there that i have seen that dont bother, but it only takes one mistake to cost someone their life. Plus trying to learn the ins and outs of should i strap internally or not just gets real confusing sometimes 🤣
HalDailies

Post by HalDailies »

Following...... often carrying very light pallets of plastics that would get damaged under a ratchet strap.
Other drivers with same loads do not strap?? Boss saying no need either 😳
youBuzz

Post by youBuzz »

Attachments
Photo.jpg
Photo.jpg (362.26 KiB) Viewed 545 times
DavDandy

Post by DavDandy »

Strong enough
Attachments
Picture.jpg
Picture.jpg (88.05 KiB) Viewed 544 times
aleekinte8

Post by aleekinte8 »

Was told on my CPC course anything over 400kg needs strapping or if you're stacking pallets. Under 400kg you don't need to. I tend to strap everything anyway. Last thing I need is a fine!
NorClassy

Post by NorClassy »

They're not XL curtains, it's an XL body. You can only not strap if you are completely full, front to back and side to side. As someone else said it's called positive fit.
However, if you take one pallet off you must then strap the whole load.
My recommendation is just strap everything to the best of your ability, and if you're not sure ask the guys who are loading what other drivers do.
MoiColumn

Post by MoiColumn »

If you were roping and sheeting on a flat trailer
Would you strap your pallet Bourne load?
If the answer to that is YES
then you should strap your curtain sided load
The curtains are primarily there to protect the cargo against weather
Not to restrain the load..
rather simple answer really
And if you have to ask this question
You technically already know the answer but trying to justify being lazy
rydAnguris

Post by rydAnguris »

I just strap regardless as I don’t know but no one can moan the loads too secure.
Wyaluggen

Post by Wyaluggen »

I see it as a curtain sider is a flat bed trailer with a weather protection sides and roof. If you run a flat bed you would strap everything. If its strapped your all good if you get pulled.
gleGlover

Post by gleGlover »

This is a huge problem in the haulage industry, the office lot likes to talk about it, but tell me, how do you ratchet strap a pallet of paint tins?
Truth is it comes down to how the pallet is assembled, which the driver has no control over
DaRodeo

Post by DaRodeo »

gleGlover wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:01 pm This is a huge problem in the haulage industry, the office lot likes to talk about it, but tell me, how do you ratchet strap a pallet of paint tins?
Truth is it comes down to how the pallet is assembled, which the driver has no control over
exactly paint tins create a pyramid effect so sometimes you can make it worse if you haven't got the correct corners or plastic to cover the pallet before you strap
corfepoA1

Post by corfepoA1 »

gleGlover wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:01 pm This is a huge problem in the haulage industry, the office lot likes to talk about it, but tell me, how do you ratchet strap a pallet of paint tins?
if it's a pallet of tins of paint or something loose loaded on a pallet. It should be shrink wrapped. If not block it in with other pallets or a couple of empties. Do the best to secure your load if stopped by police or Vosa they can see that you have tryed‼
beganBan

Post by beganBan »

I strap everything on my curtainsider, even empty pallets/batons etc. I have the time and dont get pressure from office though.
LawCritic

Post by LawCritic »

When I was doing multi drop with xl rated trailer I still used the internal straps for any pallet less than 400kgs and a ratchet for anything over 400kgs. Yes it takes a while but it is worth it for your own peace of mind. I have had a load shift and bulge on the curtain even when strapped up so I just cover my own back from now on. Any boss who moans you are taking too long are the ones risking their operators licence.
ALSurreal

Post by ALSurreal »

LawCritic wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:04 pm When I was doing multi drop with xl rated trailer I still used the internal straps for any pallet less than 400kgs and a ratchet for anything over 400kgs. Yes it takes a while but it is worth it for your own peace of mind. I have had a load shift and bulge on the curtain even when strapped up so I just cover my own back from now on. Any boss who moans you are taking too long are the ones risking their operators licence.
yup. Ours have no internal straps, and for racheting you either have to re-open the curtains or try squeeze it between the curtain and the bed. We have that security cord that runs through the curtain buckles, so that has to be removed before you can loosen a buckle. 10-15 drops a day usually through rear doors...
jonnytann

Post by jonnytann »

That's the risk of doing multidrop in some places they just don't care because there is no time to strap load just shut curtains and off you go 😂

Return to “Haulage companies | Owner-drivers and fleet owners | General discussions”