How do you keep track of Ad Blue usage? I’ve got IBCs in the yard, but there’s no meter as it’s just gravity fed.

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
darWonder

How do you keep track of Ad Blue usage? I’ve got IBCs in the yard, but there’s no meter as it’s just gravity fed.

Post by darWonder »

How do you keep track of Ad Blue usage?
I’ve got IBCs in the yard, but there’s no meter as it’s just gravity fed. Also, the lorry doesn’t tell us how many litres either.
DilTerrific

Re: How do you keep track of Ad Blue usage? I’ve got IBCs in the yard, but there’s no meter as it’s just gravity fed.

Post by DilTerrific »

Put into a jug first to measure, or guesstimate it, and record it with Date, Reg & mileage.
Or fit a electric pump & meter on the ibc.
Hartypert

Re: How do you keep track of Ad Blue usage? I’ve got IBCs in the yard, but there’s no meter as it’s just gravity fed.

Post by Hartypert »

Can be worked out as a percentage of fuel consumption. Approx 6% is the advertised use. 6 litres of adblue per 100 of diesel
iorRazor49

Post by iorRazor49 »

Can you not get a meter to fit at the valve so it records it? Even if it is gravity fed?
ParUnique

Post by ParUnique »

You need a turbine flow meter but it will be a nightmare because the Adblue will just crystallize inside of it and block it. That’s the reason people don’t use pumps in it because it blocks the pumps up.
Anstophe

Post by Anstophe »

We use a pump for our ad blue IBC. Lasts quite a good few years before the motor needs replacing. Got fed up of the drivers complaining of having to use a container 😂
smaSmaze

Post by smaSmaze »

We do it into a measure, then keep a diary, mileage date and amount
maoricMac

Post by maoricMac »

Clip board next to ad-blue tank. Reg/date/volume.
Plus receipts for ad-blue purchase.
If that doesn’t satisfy them I give up.
darWonder

Post by darWonder »

maoricMac wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:52 pm Clip board next to ad-blue tank. Reg/date/volume.
Plus receipts for ad-blue purchase.
If that doesn’t satisfy them I give up.
but without a flow meter you won’t know how many litres go from the IBC with just a free flow nozzle
WhinageA1

Post by WhinageA1 »

Flow meters are not cheap so a nice clean jug to top up with from the IBC is fine.
TBH I think it's a daft thing to have to monitor, if people are going to fit a cheat system to the vehicles, then they're simply going to fudge any chosen method of monitoring.
darWonder

Post by darWonder »

WhinageA1 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:53 pm Flow meters are not cheap so a nice clean jug to top up with from the IBC is fine.
TBH I think it's a daft thing to have to monitor, if people are going to fit a cheat system to the vehicles, then they're simply going to fudge any chosen method of monitoring.
problem with that is:
1 the element of human error, as undoubtedly one of my drivers will mix something else in that jug or they will fill something else as well (had it before)
2. My lorries have 100L tank, but problem is on the DAF it doesn’t say how many litres left in the tank, same like diesel.
Also, if I use I bigger thing, let’s say if 20L to refill, first of all that will be heavy to lift and hold while it’s being emptied, as the flow is a lot slower than diesel, but also it will create issues if the container start sweating as that will affect the Ad Blue systems on the lorries
WhinageA1

Post by WhinageA1 »

darWonder wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:55 pm
WhinageA1 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:53 pm Flow meters are not cheap so a nice clean jug to top up with from the IBC is fine.
problem with that is:
1 the element of human error, as undoubtedly one of my drivers will mix something else in that jug or they will fill something else as well (had it before)
2. My lorries have 100L tank, but problem is on the DAF it doesn’t say how many litres left in the tank, same like diesel.
Also, if I use I bigger thing, let’s say if 20L to refill, first of all that will be heavy to lift and hold while it’s being emptied, as the flow is a lot slower than diesel, but also it will create issues if the container start sweating as that will affect the Ad Blue systems on the lorries
Yes, that's why I specifically said "nice CLEAN jug". But I'm with you on the human error issue. If something CAN be done wrongly, you know one of your drivers is going to do it
You could give each of them their own jug to keep in their wagon. a five-litre jug is only about £5.00 in a supermarket.
CopKentros

Post by CopKentros »

Centre Tank services sell a flow meter you can fit on your gravity pipe from the IBC we have recently fitted 8 of these across our sites and then we register through our fleet management app and take a picture of the flow meter.
darWonder

Post by darWonder »

CopKentros wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:56 pm Centre Tank services sell a flow meter you can fit on your gravity pipe from the IBC we have recently fitted 8 of these across our sites and then we register through our fleet management app and take a picture of the flow meter.
do you know exactly which one is it?
CopKentros

Post by CopKentros »

darWonder wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:57 pm
CopKentros wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:56 pm Centre Tank services sell a flow meter you can fit on your gravity pipe from the IBC we have recently fitted 8 of these across our sites and then we register through our fleet management app and take a picture of the flow meter.
if you ring them and explain what you need they can advise. They are very helpful. I am out of the office so can’t look at invoice. It was about £240
darWonder

Post by darWonder »

CopKentros wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:58 pm
if you ring them and explain what you need they can advise. They are very helpful. I am out of the office so can’t look at invoice. It was about £240
here
Attachments
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (38.25 KiB) Viewed 356 times
CopKentros

Post by CopKentros »

darWonder wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:58 pm

here
that’s the one 👍
darWonder

Post by darWonder »

CopKentros wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:59 pm
darWonder wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:58 pm

here
that’s the one 👍
thank you very much
croinfo80

Post by croinfo80 »

Buy a 5 litre drum from your local garage. Keep refilling it.
Set up a tracker on your ibc, date, reg, litre used etc.
Tc now want to know percentage usage compared to diesel. So you will have to get your diesel invoices and work it out.
NaiNavy

Post by NaiNavy »

How much do you use a month in general reason being is there are companies that will supply a tank and pump etc but you have to use so many litres a month
darWonder

Post by darWonder »

NaiNavy wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:01 pm How much do you use a month in general reason being is there are companies that will supply a tank and pump etc but you have to use so many litres a month
pffff, maybe an IBC every 3 months only
NaiNavy

Post by NaiNavy »

darWonder wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:01 pm
NaiNavy wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:01 pm How much do you use a month in general reason being is there are companies that will supply a tank and pump etc but you have to use so many litres a month
pffff, maybe an IBC every 3 months only
oh ok just a thought

Return to “Haulage companies | Owner-drivers and fleet owners | General discussions”