Watch your fuel cards! I have had one card cloned and the PIN number compromised Some scumbag has stolen £3200 on my

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
steperife10

Watch your fuel cards! I have had one card cloned and the PIN number compromised Some scumbag has stolen £3200 on my

Post by steperife10 »

Watch your fuel cards!
I have had one card cloned and the PIN number compromised.
Some scumbag has stolen £3200 on my account in 3 days. Fuel card company have said they will not reimburse me.
Money has been taken from my account and I have no comeback. The bank will not refund either.
Please be careful with fuel cards. I have contacted 4 other fuel card companies and they all said the same. If fuel is drawn with a cloned card you will not get a refund.
Users be aware I will not be using them again. I think you should all check with your fuel card companies what protection you have for this to happen to you.
You work hard just for some scum bag to take your money.
AndFalls

Re: Watch your fuel cards! I have had one card cloned and the PIN number compromised Some scumbag has stolen £3200 on my

Post by AndFalls »

How did they get pin number bud?
traStunna

Re: Watch your fuel cards! I have had one card cloned and the PIN number compromised Some scumbag has stolen £3200 on my

Post by traStunna »

AndFalls wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:04 am How did they get pin number bud?
our cards done need a pin.
stoMedium

Post by stoMedium »

AndFalls wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:04 am How did they get pin number bud?
one if our fuel cards doesn't need a pin number only if we use an unmanned site do you need pin number
steperife10

Post by steperife10 »

No idea as my drivers are very careful. As I told the card company it isn’t hard for people to look over your shoulder. Card company said they had never heard of that happening before!!!!
I had 12 transaction made, the card registration on the card was not even one that is registered to my account so should NEVER had been allowed to be used.
I will never use a fuel card company again. Another reason I don’t let my drivers do tramping or nights out. No need for a fuel card. It was just for convenience, well not very convenient to loose £3200 plus vat in 3 days 😡😡😡
SteHeadlines

Post by SteHeadlines »

steperife10 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:08 am No idea as my drivers are very careful. As I told the card company it isn’t hard for people to look over your shoulder. Card company said they had never heard of that happening before!!!!
I had 12 transaction made, the card registration on the card was not even one that is registered to my account so should NEVER had been allowed to be used.
I will never use a fuel card company again. Another reason I don’t let my drivers do tramping or nights out. No need for a fuel card. It was just for convenience, well not very convenient to loose £3200 plus vat in 3 days 😡😡😡
where was the fraud in the Uk
grandGeo

Post by grandGeo »

SteHeadlines wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:11 am
steperife10 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:08 am No idea as my drivers are very careful. As I told the card company it isn’t hard for people to look over your shoulder. Card company said they had never heard of that happening before!!!!
where was the fraud in the Uk
They've lost alot more than 3k now your not using them so I don't get why they can't, things happen definitely not your fault ! if someone clones my bank card I'm covered so why should fuel card be any different. I would look at there terms and conditions and the law
AndTinny

Post by AndTinny »

My card got blocked used it in Southampton dock's someone tried getting £6000 of it
steperife10

Post by steperife10 »

AndTinny wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:15 am My card got blocked used it in Southampton dock's someone tried getting £6000 of it
mine should have been. They said it takes up to 72 hours to update their system from any purchase from fuel stations.
They have just washed their hands of it.
Police don’t want to know either.
All a waste of time.
AndTinny

Post by AndTinny »

steperife10 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:16 am
AndTinny wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:15 am My card got blocked used it in Southampton dock's someone tried getting £6000 of it
mine should have been. They said it takes up to 72 hours to update their system from any purchase from fuel stations.
All a waste of time.
card company stopped it going through
Blakellyo

Post by Blakellyo »

All a waste of time.
as above UKF stopped card and called within a few minutes
steperife10

Post by steperife10 »

Blakellyo wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:17 am
All a waste of time.
as above UKF stopped card and called within a few minutes
Uk fuels did nothing for me
regReell

Post by regReell »

This was a thing about 10 years ago. Don't know how they did it but they did get caught
edInformation

Post by edInformation »

BebBenny wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:22 am insider job??
my exact thoughts
CouShun

Post by CouShun »

There was a case a few years ago of a garage in the North West that would take your card before filling and clone it, a camera would pick the pin up when you paid, and it was battered over a few days the garage owner got 6 months, they said he got away with 250k worth of diesel, I've hated handing my card over since
traStunna

Post by traStunna »

Ours are on account, so if that happened, (never has), we wouldn’t pay for fuel we haven’t had. (Unsure on the legal side of this).
steperife10

Post by steperife10 »

traStunna wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:27 am Ours are on account, so if that happened, (never has), we wouldn’t pay for fuel we haven’t had. (Unsure on the legal side of this).
I said the same and took legal advice. They said I would be chased for non payment. Hi
traStunna

Post by traStunna »

steperife10 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:28 am
traStunna wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:27 am Ours are on account, so if that happened, (never has), we wouldn’t pay for fuel we haven’t had. (Unsure on the legal side of this).
I said the same and took legal advice. They said I would be chased for non payment. Hi
Surely if you never received the goods, you don’t have to pay?
grandGeo

Post by grandGeo »

traStunna wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:28 am
let them chase, you never made the transactions they need to prove you did
steperife10

Post by steperife10 »

grandGeo wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:29 am
traStunna wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:28 am

let them chase, you never made the transactions they need to prove you did
I paid the bill as it’s direct debit. I paid in good faith expecting to get it back.
Clearly I was wrong.
Not many honest people left these days!!
jamBleak

Post by jamBleak »

I had an incident in Spain a few years ago. Was double manning with the boss and got out the truck to get a coffee. Some bloke walked real close to me where the keys were in my pocket. We assume they somehow cloned the key. Got into the truck and switched the edc card with a edc card from some polish firm. Before we realized a fair few grand had been drawn from it.
AnSpecials

Post by AnSpecials »

Because card should have security text. Like you driver want refuel he call to you or send text „i will refuel in next 10 minutes”. He put card in card reader and on your phone should come text „do you recognize/accepted this transactions Y/N”. Big problem solved easy 😕.
AnSpecials

Post by AnSpecials »

Many people write how clone card - like the same in ATM
thoivelly07

Post by thoivelly07 »

Pretty sure a fuel card comes under credit card law
DanPerson

Post by DanPerson »

Which services? I was pulled up by my gaffer this morning cos 320 litres was on my fuel card last week, I’ve only got a 250 litre tank! Luckily I’ve got the receipt for the 189 litres I actually did fill up with! So we can prove the 320 litres extra wasn’t us!
steperife10

Post by steperife10 »

DanPerson wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:35 am Which services? I was pulled up by my gaffer this morning cos 320 litres was on my fuel card last week, I’ve only got a 250 litre tank! Luckily I’ve got the receipt for the 189 litres I actually did fill up with! So we can prove the 320 litres extra wasn’t us!
that’s won’t mean much to a fuel card company. I have had the card in my possession for 3 weeks when these 12 thefts occurred all in 3 days so no way anyone could have used it.
Company still didn’t want to know.
This post is just to warn people there is no security with the cards so be careful.
MagHinch

Post by MagHinch »

Likely someone from the petrol station
McMicerse

Post by McMicerse »

I take it the card has been used at bunking sites which still have cameras, this happened to me many many years ago I s**ked a driver on a Friday he took card and filled up 1000litre ibc’s over the weekend cost me nearly £6k police had it all on camera but couldn’t make his face out couldn’t believe it, fuel company took me to court I never repaid as had a 600litre limit per day on card cause he did it over weekend they never stopped card that was many moons ago. Only thing it f**ked my fuel credit rating had to hand over a large deposit which they kept for 24months 🙈🙈🙈
psaChosen

Post by psaChosen »

How do drivers know who to trust behind the counter.??..for that's where its happening..i think...be careful out there guys n gals.
ToFinest

Post by ToFinest »

The trouble is,, you have to hand the card over before you fuel up.. so its easy to clone,,, for them behind the counter,,,
And if they clock your pin number,,, boom....game over
rothunique

Post by rothunique »

ToFinest wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:46 am The trouble is,, you have to hand the card over before you fuel up.. so its easy to clone,,, for them behind the counter,,,
And if they clock your pin number,,, boom....game over
most have the pin number written on the back of the card... doh
allYoung10

Post by allYoung10 »

You must work for a crap company then
steperife10

Post by steperife10 »

allYoung10 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:49 am You must work for a crap company then
why do you say that?
I’m the owner, just warning other people to be careful.
allYoung10

Post by allYoung10 »

steperife10 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:50 am
allYoung10 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:49 am You must work for a crap company then
why do you say that?
I’m the owner, just warning other people to be careful.
that's a different scenario then altogether. Fair enough..I wrongly assumed that you were a driver for a company and you were expected to pay out of your own pocket...apologies
steperife10

Post by steperife10 »

This is just a heads up to owners of cards.
danestype13

Post by danestype13 »

our Key Fuel cards dont even need pin, just swipe and signature on receipt
KevGazer

Post by KevGazer »

danestype13 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:52 am our Key Fuel cards dont even need pin, just swipe and signature on receipt
Frankly south bound on the M5 even sign the receipt! Covid rules apparently 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
jayVanderr

Post by jayVanderr »

The good thing about fuel cards is, if you pay weekly and have a low credit limit....they won't get too much fuel!
WesSpuffy

Post by WesSpuffy »

A lot ask for card at BP I never give mine
palNews

Post by palNews »

And this is why handing in fuel cards needs to stop!!
JoBoardin

Post by JoBoardin »

I an in Israeli at the minute and can assure you there in nothing stolen here. No messing with the Israeli police
neepwre21

Post by neepwre21 »

Do you not have the details of where the fuel was taken and could you prove that your drivers/you were elsewhere when these payments were taken if fuel card company don’t want to know?
steperife10

Post by steperife10 »

neepwre21 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:18 am Do you not have the details of where the fuel was taken and could you prove that your drivers/you were elsewhere when these payments were taken if fuel card company don’t want to know?
yes I have submitted all that but they just don’t care. Once someone has cloned the card and has the PIN number the debt lies with you. Even with video footage once a pin is used all fuel companies have no liability. No protection for the genuine card holder. I will never be using cards again.
Be warned I’m clearly not the only Haulage company for it to happen to.
neepwre21

Post by neepwre21 »

steperife10 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:18 am
neepwre21 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:18 am Do you not have the details of where the fuel was taken and could you prove that your drivers/you were elsewhere when these payments were taken if fuel card company don’t want to know?
yes I have submitted all that but they just don’t care. Once someone has cloned the card and has the PIN number the debt lies with you. Even with video footage once a pin is used all fuel companies have no liability. No protection for the genuine card holder. I will never be using cards again.
pretty cr*p that. Only issue is how they got the PIN. Think thats the same with debit and credit cards too 😞
KinBloom

Post by KinBloom »

The worst thing is the police don't give a toss, we lost £4,800 across a weekend and even went to one of the fuel stations, got their CCTV file and gave it to the police who identified the thief. They then bollocked my boss for getting involved and doing their job for them, a job which they weren't doing themselves!! It went to court and they put an order on the the scrote who stole our diesel of £1,500 to be paid over 2 years, we got nothing back and he walked away to rob another day. Drivers still write the pin number on the back of the card however many times you ask them not to.
steperife10

Post by steperife10 »

KinBloom wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:20 am
The worst thing is the police don't give a toss, we lost £4,800 across a weekend and even went to one of the fuel stations, got their CCTV file and gave it to the police who identified the thief. They then bollocked my boss for getting involved and doing their job for them, a job which they weren't doing themselves!! It went to court and they put an order on the the scrote who stole our diesel of £1,500 to be paid over 2 years, we got nothing back and he walked away to rob another day. Drivers still write the pin number on the back of the card however many times you ask them not to.
Thanks for the reply.
The police have said they don’t have ten resources to pursue it so case is closed in their eyes.
Don’t know what else I can do as legal advice say it could be a costly exercise to peruse with very little outcome possibly at the end.
Ianbertax30

Post by Ianbertax30 »

Theft is theft report to police they will get cctv from filling stations
steperife10

Post by steperife10 »

Ianbertax30 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:22 am Theft is theft report to police they will get cctv from filling stations
I agree. The police response was they don’t have the resources so won’t be taking the case any further.
It’s not even worth reporting half the time as nothing ever happens.
We had diesel stolen years ago from a truck and the thief cut their hand badly on the tank, blood everywhere. Police came and looked and said it could be anyone's blood and not just the thief so left without even taking a sample for dna!!!!
petthandi8

Post by petthandi8 »

Just use garages where you put card in machine pin in card out no one sees your pin and only u touch the card if a garage asks for card before you fill up go somewhere else
DaThenorn

Post by DaThenorn »

petthandi8 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:28 am Just use garages where you put card in machine pin in card out no one sees your pin and only u touch the card if a garage asks for card before you fill up go somewhere else
Happened to us at an unmanned site
Near our depot night man filled up 2 am and it was used again 5 am fortunately only A couple of hundred litres as in maxed out his daily usage
LauFlats

Post by LauFlats »

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

Contact these, they are amazing at this, hope you get it sorted
ruiRugger

Post by ruiRugger »

Back to cash it is then. If u cant trust plastic we need go back to hard cash
youBuzz

Post by youBuzz »

The banks will always tell you there’s nothing you can do but go to the bank omnibus people or post on Jack busters for advice he won’t personally deal with it as it’s a little amount but he loves exposing things banks don’t tell you
anaDelight

Post by anaDelight »

youBuzz wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:35 am The banks will always tell you there’s nothing you can do but go to the bank omnibus people or post on Jack busters for advice he won’t personally deal with it as it’s a little amount but he loves exposing things banks don’t tell you
what’s “ Jack Busters “ ?
BonNess

Post by BonNess »

I'm not having it the banks can just brush you off like that
steperife10

Post by steperife10 »

It’s not a transaction with the bank so they don’t have to refund. It’s a transaction with the fuel card company. I have called the bank and seen a bank manager in person and they won’t do anything

Return to “Haulage companies | Owner-drivers and fleet owners | General discussions”