Evening everyone Just a quick question. Wondered how you are all getting on with operators signing contracts?

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Liamario

Evening everyone Just a quick question. Wondered how you are all getting on with operators signing contracts?

Post by Liamario »

Evening everyone
Just a quick question. Wondered how you are all getting on with operators signing contracts?
First time ever, where I’ve had operators, try and barter with me re:
signing the contract,
reducing my term,
reducing my rate and then not to charge for all the vehicles on their licence.
Would love to hear your thoughts and your length of term on your contracts, and feedback generally!
Obviously I will not be working with these, however, wondered if others were experiencing the same?
Thanks
PaMoi

Re: Evening everyone Just a quick question. Wondered how you are all getting on with operators signing contracts?

Post by PaMoi »

Simple just walk away
Liamario

Re: Evening everyone Just a quick question. Wondered how you are all getting on with operators signing contracts?

Post by Liamario »

PaMoi wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:17 pm Simple just walk away
thanks, won’t entertain them if they won’t sign it, however wondered if anyone else is experiencing similar or how long their contract length is..
Steprook

Post by Steprook »

Liamario wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:18 pm
thanks, won’t entertain them if they won’t sign it, however wondered if anyone else is experiencing similar or how long their contract length is..
are you charging for trucks they don't have but are on o licence?
PaMoi

Post by PaMoi »

Steprook wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:19 pm
she should be, that’s what the TC will expect to see.
Liamario

Post by Liamario »

PaMoi wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:19 pm
Steprook wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:19 pm

she should be, that’s what the TC will expect to see.
yes, it’s a new operator and they are looking to get 6 on a licence but only run 2 vehicles and don’t think they should pay for the other 4 on the licence, as they won’t have the trucks!
jaxon

Post by jaxon »

your charge should be based on vehicles in operation. So if it’s 2 approved too operate at the start, then only charge for 2.
suzanci

Post by suzanci »

It’s your way or no way , plenty of companies looking.
Does that not make you think they may also questions your decisions on the running of the O licence?
Liamario

Post by Liamario »

suzanci wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:22 pm It’s your way or no way , plenty of companies looking.
Does that not make you think they may also questions your decisions on the running of the O licence?
exactly that! You get a feel for this at the initial conversation stage! Just felt like I was in a market, and they were trying to haggle!
I don’t think so - 😖 however found this very unprofessional.
reilliguz

Post by reilliguz »

Currently having that issue, and have decided that if they don't sign within the next week (I'm being nice cos of potential holidays etc)...they can find another TM!
Liamario

Post by Liamario »

reilliguz wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:24 pm Currently having that issue, and have decided that if they don't sign within the next week (I'm being nice cos of potential holidays etc)...they can find another TM!
are they trying to reduce your term or just not wanting to sign?
reilliguz

Post by reilliguz »

Liamario wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:24 pm
reilliguz wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:24 pm Currently having that issue, and have decided that if they don't sign within the next week (I'm being nice cos of potential holidays etc)...they can find another TM!
they've tried to talk about money several times but got nowhere. Meantime they're just not signing. I'm feeling like you...is it a sign of things to come. We'll see what the week brings.
Liamario

Post by Liamario »

reilliguz wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:25 pm
Liamario wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:24 pm
they've tried to talk about money several times but got nowhere. Meantime they're just not signing. I'm feeling like you...is it a sign of things to come. We'll see what the week brings.
I know, makes you think what they would be like, further down the line. Just glad this came to light early on.
barrmer

Post by barrmer »

Then walk away we all need to eat and live and big surprise inflation hits us
Liamario

Post by Liamario »

barrmer wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:28 pm Then walk away we all need to eat and live and big surprise inflation hits us
already have walked away, just interested in seeing what other ETM’s are experiencing.
barrmer

Post by barrmer »

Liamario wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:28 pm
barrmer wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:28 pm Then walk away we all need to eat and live and big surprise inflation hits us
already have walked away, just interested in seeing what other ETM’s are experiencing.
To be honest just what l said l walked l would rather not work than sell myself out
2bPop

Post by 2bPop »

If they are like this now, images later on when you have informed them of a non-compliant issue that needs to be rectified.
We see this all the time and avoid as soon as we witness these red flags.
These type of operators frustrate me however there are some amazing operators out there.
Have a great day and enjoy that lovely sunshine.
Johnopti

Post by Johnopti »

I’ve held LGV & PCV Nat & Int CPC since 1983. Don’t use them much for a few years but have been to a recent refresher just in case.
My question? Why does anyone use an external TM.
Yes the tests are tricky but not £5k a year tricky.
I taught the subject from 85 for about 10 years using Friend berry home study manuals. Mostly owner drivers sent the wife on the course and the pass rate was decent. This was before the case studies though.
Scottield

Post by Scottield »

What exactly are you doing for them? I only ask as until I became my own TM, I had an ETM who did the sum total of nothing for me apart from invoice monthly which was very quick and even quicker to chase.
I was asked to buy my own tacho download equipment and do the downloads and send to them, basically I did everything myself but paid someone else for that privilege.
The only time I asked them to look into something for me, they gave me completely the wrong information and set my new business back about 4 months while I had to sort it out.
My point, if you are providing them with a service (which I’m sure you are) then stick to your guns. If on the other hand (which I suspect probably isn’t the case) you aren’t doing anything for them apart from be a ‘name’ then think about it from the Operators perspective.

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”