Has this happened to anyone else where the actual wage is much lower than advertised?

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
gakidd

Re: Has this happened to anyone else where the actual wage is much lower than advertised?

Post by gakidd »

Experience is important now as a new driver then look for better pastures once got your experience...
So take the job...
£12 is not bad for a start...
langle

Re: Has this happened to anyone else where the actual wage is much lower than advertised?

Post by langle »

2 months driving £18 per hour don’t let them take the piss
FletMy

Post by FletMy »

langle wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:04 am 2 months driving £18 per hour don’t let them take the piss
What area is that?
langle

Post by langle »

FletMy wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:04 am
langle wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:04 am 2 months driving £18 per hour don’t let them take the piss
What area is that?
Manchester
TDS
jamily

Post by jamily »

It happens all the time. Don't accept their misleading offer
Chrield

Post by Chrield »

That means they want to find someone to overwork and underpay, never go back get paid what's advertised
gunfly

Post by gunfly »

Now here’s a question.
If they advertise the wage at £15-£18hr but will only pay £12hr surly that’s miss advertising which in any other industry would mean you could take them to court for.
If you could then it might stop some of these companies taking the P out of the people walking though the door.
moodyz

Post by moodyz »

It's false advertising, if the ad says £15-18 then your rate will start at £15-18 depending on what you are doing, if you got adr you'll likely be getting the £18ph given the nature
georma

Post by georma »

It’s a bit low even for a new driver. Take it if you need it, but carry on looking. At least you will be getting experience and a topping up to your pension.
I think gist are down that way. They were good for me to gain experience and pay and pension not too bad.
samkai

Post by samkai »

When I passed my test many many years ago nobody would touch unless you had two years experience ...so you took anything you could...nowadays..right I've passed my test I want a million pounds a week..I say to many drivers ..though the years ..you will be never out of work ..but you will never be rich..(.unless you tramp all week ..or work every other weekend...)...which I don't..
Jodyrate

Post by Jodyrate »

samkai wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:09 am When I passed my test many many years ago nobody would touch unless you had two years experience ...so you took anything you could...nowadays..right I've passed my test I want a million pounds a week..I say to many drivers ..though the years ..you will be never out of work ..but you will never be rich..(.unless you tramp all week ..or work every other weekend...)...which I don't..
I’ve been driving 10 years- I’m now with a company that pays just over £22 paye. Took me a while to find a job I liked and pays well. I don’t night out either
jampile

Post by jampile »

It's cos they advertise what they pay LTD... Then pay you P.A.Y.E which is less... it's a common con that they use to attract you..
jampile

Post by jampile »

P.s. I earn more than that in a class 2
millarse

Post by millarse »

I’m new agency giving me 15 got a interview tomorrow and the basic was low(lower than that) but spoke with someone and you get a lot of had ons
caivin

Post by caivin »

Company's usual do this when they struggle to attract drivers so they advertise has up to 15 to 18 pounds a hour when actually this is overtime or weekend work and normal hours are a lot less like your 12.05 hour rate.
ToSpew

Post by ToSpew »

give
Lozza Logitech a shout mate she runs an agency in exeter and shell sort you out
adsion

Post by adsion »

Go else where mate.
gashay

Post by gashay »

I’d accept the offer if only to gain experience, there’s plenty of companies that won’t take you on until you have 12 months under your belt. The cost of fuel and repairs, you can’t blame them
JoanMc

Post by JoanMc »

No. Start how you mean to go on. They have started taking the piss, you won't ever see the end of it. You can get more than that driving class 2. Simple they need the driver they will pay.
JoanMc

Post by JoanMc »

Legally it's called a 'bait and switch' it's frowned upon in most selling practices, but there you go. Your future employer is going to consistently attempt this behaviour. New trucks that never arrive. Training that never gets sorted. Better routes that never happen. Endless. Stringing along bait and switching. Boring. Wait until October and suddenly the Xmas rush begins and they have you in as an agency driver for £5 an hour extra.
Palnnel

Post by Palnnel »

Don't take that poor rate, tell them you want the advertised rate hence why you applied they are at it! If they won't or can't tell them to just get someone else. If they pay peanuts, they get monkeys your better than that!
Janissu

Post by Janissu »

Hopefully in around 2 months when they are all fighting for drivers for xmas you will get the rate you deserve.
duffyz

Post by duffyz »

Had the same thing with a FLT job years ago advertising at 18k a year but at interview said it was 16k. I told him where to stick the job. 🤣
edkinn

Post by edkinn »

To the company as long as you have passed a class one "your a class one " to them so that's how they use you as exactly the same as someone who's been doing for 30/40 years so why they think it's acceptable to pay less because your a Newby they send you the same places just takin the mic
Bobbon

Post by Bobbon »

If this is the start of your new employment. Then take it as a warning. If they want honesty starts at the front door. Why not just advertise as is. Unsure of location but much better rates in London.
Tylerco

Post by Tylerco »

How was the ad worded. A lot of the time they'll say up to £18 or whatever. But that will be Sunday rate and £15 will be overtime. Most do it
daward

Post by daward »

Agencies pay from £16 /h new driver . For class 1 . And you comin to work when ever you feel like to go to work.
Jaseido

Post by Jaseido »

False advertisement go find a company that is worthy to have you. As seems to me they under value your new skill
simosc

Post by simosc »

Like I say to all agencys and potential employers. I've invested, trained and qualified in the licence I hold so pay me respectively.
carleye

Post by carleye »

I make £34 k a year for 30 hours Mon to Thursday a week driving Bentley (cars) got sick of the big wheel did 16 years of it
microun

Post by microun »

There is nothing like new driver if you making same deliveries like anyone else , same rate and conditions
alanrap

Post by alanrap »

Keep looking……
Youble

Post by Youble »

It’s seems common Practice some say upto! Ie overtime weekends bank holidays etc beware ask about your holiday pay some say it’s all inclusive 🤨

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”