Afternoon everyone, I had question regarding MOT failures. So if the truck fails an MOT, how would it effect me as

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
GroveGo

Afternoon everyone, I had question regarding MOT failures. So if the truck fails an MOT, how would it effect me as

Post by GroveGo »

Afternoon everyone,
I had question regarding MOT failures. So if the truck fails an MOT, how would it effect me as a Transport manager and how would it effect the company director? Would I have to let anybody know that the truck as failed MOT or?
And can I get a clear explanation regarding the "licence going into Green, Red and Amber" please? And again if this has to do with the MOT failures too
And where can I login and check the "colour" status of my current licence please
TIA
clarkeMO

Re: Afternoon everyone, I had question regarding MOT failures. So if the truck fails an MOT, how would it effect me as

Post by clarkeMO »

Chill, isn't a life and death matter. Not yet. You must let them know and you must to ask yourself, why this? What you can do to avoid this in future. Maybe a pre-Mot inspection, etc. TC wants to see you do something to avoid this in future. If your company goes on Amber, if you do everything right in future, you can reverse this. Good luck.
Joellethi

Re: Afternoon everyone, I had question regarding MOT failures. So if the truck fails an MOT, how would it effect me as

Post by Joellethi »

Investigation of the whole process. Pre MOT inspection, when you took it off road pre MOT. Did you give enough time for pre mot, what element failed, who is at fault, how you will prevent further instances, is your Pmi routine robust, is the the daily walk round check robust, what gate audits completed, what defects repaired between PMI’s, put this in a report then send to the TC. If poor history can expect an invite to PI. If you have good road side check history that will help. Show you have completed a thorough investigation with solid preventative measures put in place for any area you find are weak. Maybe think about sending bank statements to show company have the financial standings. Other things that come up is how big is the operation if small failures are a greater concern.
mohames55

Post by mohames55 »

You do not have to report an MOT FAILURE ! - it is already logged for you, on thE DVSA / DVLA SYSTEM.
Yes this will effect your company OCR score in regards to what the vehicle failed on. If it major defects DVSA will / could conduct a site visit or if minor they may not come to site. All depends on the TC & DVSA…
you should already be asking this question where do you find out a company score in your TM course or just after not asking when it’s too late like this where to find out where you can see your OCR SCORE.
( TIP - every time you check this via the website - you must log and record this within the company records) go onto https://www.gov.uk/ it will take you to where you want to be. Or Google it.
It will not effect the company director ( if maintenance is not carried out in / out of house ) - it will effect the OCR SOCRE of the company overall -
And it may not go against your TM Repute. ( however it will not effect your TM as such If it’s a one off , but if every truck fails an MOT , then The TC Will be asking questions and DVSA will conduct an onsite visit due to view maintenance records to see what these are like & whats going wrong, if your found not to be keeping up with maintenance and repairs this over all will effect your TM repute.
Both COMPANY DIRECTOR & TM COULD BE CALLED TO A PI - with the TC.
If the company comes under a TC , PI and found to be of bad repute TC will instruct the Company director to either improve or replace the TM.
If you do in house maintenance - you will have to look at why the truck failed , and to see if you can change anything to stop this happing, by either - having a look at the fitters you have by looking at what work they are caring out and how many failures they have had & individually over the overall fleet , improve them or replace.
( send fitters on a course to show them how to conduct PMI’s as this will help with records , indicate fitters are qualified to do inspections - TC WANTS THIS COURSE IF ITS IN HOUSE )
If it’s an external garage you are using - you have a meeting discuss what’s going wrong and why - if nothing improves , look at replacing the maintenance provider.
( I would log / record all the stages and steps you have done to investigate , change or replace )
Remember - everything effects you as a TM as it’s you who holds all the responsibility - it just depends how many failures you have in such a short period of time , depends if your company gets flagged up.
it’s not all doom and gloom - just rectify what the truck failed on , repair it and send it in again , make sure it. Passes then file everything away as normal ….
Personally - at this strange I wouldn’t worry about anything , just repair and get it passed - only worry about it , until you either get a letter or DVSA knocking on your door.
If your records are all good and up to date & good standards for maintenance and this was just a one off , I wouldn’t worry about it…
MrzygeeV2

Post by MrzygeeV2 »

Why hasnt the vehicle had a pre MOT check prior to test date ??? Mine are always off road 5 days 4 days prep 1 day test. That way anything that would result in a failed MOT test would be sorted prior to test. TC will ask the above aswell, I would suggest showing the TC that you have put effective measures in place to prevent this happening in the future.
peterradi82

Post by peterradi82 »

First of all you need documented investigation into root cause of mot failure. Like was prep done correctly, what was the code of failure itself etc. One failure usually not the end of the world as long as it's not a streak of them.
sonyCo21

Post by sonyCo21 »

And to see your ocrs score you need to apply to the DVSA for the portal access. Do you have access to VOL as well?

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”