Hello there everyone I’m after some advise starting up as owner driver, me and my sister (office and accounts and

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
pricend500

Hello there everyone I’m after some advise starting up as owner driver, me and my sister (office and accounts and

Post by pricend500 »

Hello there everyone I’m after some advise starting up as owner driver, me and my sister (office and accounts and all things paperwork) are thinking of starting up our own haulage business.
Obviously I know a few things we need to get the o licence, premises & place for maintenance, money in the bank etc etc.
I wanted to know about the Transport manager CPC is it a legal requirement or can you start up without this??
We have the premises sorted for a truck and trailer, obviously we will have to apply for the o licence.
We shall just be starting out as me driving the one truck for now and then looking to expand from there

Kind regards
Iqballu220

Re: Hello there everyone I’m after some advise starting up as owner driver, me and my sister (office and accounts and

Post by Iqballu220 »

Unfortunately not you must have a TM in place before hand
DJannano

Re: Hello there everyone I’m after some advise starting up as owner driver, me and my sister (office and accounts and

Post by DJannano »

If you no anything at all...you wont even be considering starting up how work & rates are going.. sit on the fence for a good while yet
EliFizz

Post by EliFizz »

Most will probably reply and say don't bother but ignoring that advise I'd at least suggest getting your operators licence and then hanging off into into mid next year. Gives you more time to put more money away too because you wont get paid for ages and with interest rates going up factoring is too expensive. It's a strange time just now work wise
EliFizz

Post by EliFizz »

You can get an external transport manager in joining in this forum loads looking for clients
Melbourst

Post by Melbourst »

Claudiu Jurma know regarding this thing
Josham

Post by Josham »

Be your own TM. Get the qualification, and it will teach you how to use a calculator so you can work out your costs. Once you've done that. Then work out if it’s worth it.
CliveHive

Post by CliveHive »

You need a TM for an o licence. Don't let anyone put you off. I started with 2 last October and now I have 7. So it's doable. Just watch the cost and don't be scared to turn shit paid jobs down. Get a decent fuel card and the truck must have R and M or you could sink straight away
Roryetti

Post by Roryetti »

Find ya self a good mobile mechanic sod R and M its a rip off
Tedsetter

Post by Tedsetter »

Roryetti wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:42 pm Find ya self a good mobile mechanic sod R and M its a rip off
that depends on the motor you buy, adblue pumps can easily be £3k, gearbox £7-10k etc. if you are lucky, you might get a good one, if not, you’d have wished you’d have got R&M
Roryetti

Post by Roryetti »

Tedsetter wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:42 pm
Roryetti wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:42 pm Find ya self a good mobile mechanic sod R and M its a rip off
that depends on the motor you buy, adblue pumps can easily be £3k, gearbox £7-10k etc. if you are lucky, you might get a good one, if not, you’d have wished you’d have got R&M
is not for me thats for sure
Wesleyor

Post by Wesleyor »

You or your sister or both should take a course to study and pass the qualification yourself and be your own transport manager. You’re business could quite easily be lost by not getting the right person in the roll.
ricfton23

Post by ricfton23 »

Wesleyor wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:46 pm You or your sister or both should take a course to study and pass the qualification yourself and be your own transport manager. You’re business could quite easily be lost by not getting the right person in the roll.
most sensible comment so far. ETM Should be avoided at all costs.
Lawiser43

Post by Lawiser43 »

You need the services of a TM unless you get the qualification yourself.
My advice? Don’t buy a unit you can’t afford and get yourself on the books of a really good mechanic,
preferably an
independent who will value your custom.
There’s a number of sub-350k kms trucks out there for not much money,which will keep you going until you are sure owner operating is for you.
Nothing worse than discovering you hate it and then going bankrupt trying to find the exit door,so bear that in mind before you go taking on big finance or long term agreements.
Best of luck.
JoeWell

Post by JoeWell »

TM must be appointed before you can submit the application
Ogdenny

Post by Ogdenny »

Me & the hubs started on sept this year we’re running two shifts on 1 wagon and it comfy pays for 2 wages and everything else and makes a profit, it is doable and like someone else says don’t be afraid to say no if you can’t make the rate work. The hubs is TM for ours.
Awansley

Post by Awansley »

Acting transport manager required from around £350/ £400 a month for the 1st vehicle and £100 every other additional.
Depends on what transport manager requires also.
mcdonouA1

Post by mcdonouA1 »

I would say definitely go for it BUT wait 2 years
Get your self educated and take yourTM exams so your net tied to anyone else, save up for the £40k you ideally need to get started.
Let the recession pass and go for it when the good times are back 👍🏻
pricend500

Post by pricend500 »

mcdonouA1 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:51 pm I would say definitely go for it BUT wait 2 years
Get your self educated and take yourTM exams so your net tied to anyone else, save up for the £40k you ideally need to get started.
Let the recession pass and go for it when the good times are back 👍🏻
yeah I was looking towards end of next year to be up and running
pricend500

Post by pricend500 »

Loads of great advise here guys, Thankyou
madalinfo

Post by madalinfo »

Don't be scared to turn cheap work down..?
And thats why rates are sh*t 🤦
pricend500

Post by pricend500 »

madalinfo wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:52 pm Don't be scared to turn cheap work down..?
And thats why rates are sh*t 🤦
so no Amazon then 😂😂
tombrio63

Post by tombrio63 »

It's a legal requirement to have a TM CPC holder and you will have to specify who on the application and send copies of certificates. You can either obtain this yourself or employ an external TM CPC holder.
pricend500

Post by pricend500 »

tombrio63 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:53 pm It's a legal requirement to have a TM CPC holder and you will have to specify who on the application and send copies of certificates. You can either obtain this yourself or employ an external TM CPC holder.
yeah to save cost I was going to obtain it myself and cover the driver hours at the same time which apparently you can do but only on certain training companies
tombrio63

Post by tombrio63 »

pricend500 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:53 pm
tombrio63 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:53 pm It's a legal requirement to have a TM CPC holder and you will have to specify who on the application and send copies of certificates. You can either obtain this yourself or employ an external TM CPC holder.
yeah to save cost I was going to obtain it myself and cover the driver hours at the same time which apparently you can do but only on certain training companies
I would always recommend getting the qualification yourself. Bear in mind it's a very tough exam to pass so think carefully who you go with and at least some classroom time is a must.
madalinfo

Post by madalinfo »

Get a good commercial garage for inspections and repairs. Hell of alot cheaper than paying monthly for R+M
pricend500

Post by pricend500 »

madalinfo wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:54 pm Get a good commercial garage for inspections and repairs. Hell of alot cheaper than paying monthly for R+M
I was going to use Motus DAF as I can literally throw a stone into the yard from our premises
madalinfo

Post by madalinfo »

pricend500 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:55 pm
madalinfo wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:54 pm Get a good commercial garage for inspections and repairs. Hell of alot cheaper than paying monthly for R+M
I was going to use Motus DAF as I can literally throw a stone into the yard from our premises
it's all costs tho. Whatever works for 1 doesn't work for another. Weigh it all up
Wesleyor

Post by Wesleyor »

same situation as me but I use a couple of independent small garages that at further away because of their rates. I only use a main dealer if I’m down the road and have a breakdown.
Sethomer

Post by Sethomer »

If you get a DAF, you'll end up wanting to throw lots of stones at their yard! 🤣
Duffyre

Post by Duffyre »

Don't bother no money in it and with prices of fuel etc all you will get is stress....
pricend500

Post by pricend500 »

Duffyre wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:57 pm Don't bother no money in it and with prices of fuel etc all you will get is stress....
🤔🤔🤔
nealflux99

Post by nealflux99 »

Duffyre wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:57 pm Don't bother no money in it and with prices of fuel etc all you will get is stress....
I did it, retired now, mortgage paid 16 years early, extension paid and new jag on drive plus money in the bank. It’s not always easy but there’s money to be made.
pricend500

Post by pricend500 »

nealflux99 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:59 pm
I did it, retired now, mortgage paid 16 years early, extension paid and new jag on drive plus money in the bank. It’s not always easy but there’s money to be made.
I could do with that, I’ll pay my mortgage off when I’m 72 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
nealflux99

Post by nealflux99 »

pricend500 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:59 pm
nealflux99 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:59 pm
I could do with that, I’ll pay my mortgage off when I’m 72 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
I would have been 70. Now 53 and all paid up. Don’t owe anyone a penny.
Alexandic

Post by Alexandic »

Flag out abroad, I did, fractional costs, no vosa yard visits or answering to them at Leeds, and you can park outside the house 😄
Attachments
Picture.jpg
Picture.jpg (262.88 KiB) Viewed 454 times
Davmaid

Post by Davmaid »

Alexandic wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:03 pm Flag out abroad, I did, fractional costs, no vosa yard visits or answering to them at Leeds, and you can park outside the house 😄
your a rebel 🙈🙈😂😂
KellyMan

Post by KellyMan »

Although should put you off a dream
Attachments
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (28.58 KiB) Viewed 451 times
Melbourst

Post by Melbourst »

The most unexpected thing I found in this business is there isn't enough good mechanics who knows their stuff, find good mechanic for the make you buy or you find your self with a truck and no body know what's wrong with it, sadly even taking it to the dealer which some of them with useless mechanics, telling you this because I have had a nightmare experience cost me thousands and weeks of work...and yes it's a tough business but worth it if you do all the necessary steps.
Johnixon

Post by Johnixon »

Make sure to subcontract for maritime or goldstar and the latest scania models with all the bits and bobs
pricend500

Post by pricend500 »

Lots to ponder over here thanks guys for your invaluable input
Ianszen06

Post by Ianszen06 »

Reach out to us about your insurance needs when you’re ready 👍🏼
Attachments
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (50 KiB) Viewed 446 times
Edwardin

Post by Edwardin »

Find the work first enough people out there struggling without more joining the gang

Return to “Haulage companies | Owner-drivers and fleet owners | General discussions”