Happy new year all! Really random question. Start my first hgv Job on Monday and previous jobs have had me nowhere

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Charlesto

Re: Happy new year all! Really random question. Start my first hgv Job on Monday and previous jobs have had me nowhere

Post by Charlesto »

I use same size bag take some window cleaner for mirrors and cloths
Newtonix53

Re: Happy new year all! Really random question. Start my first hgv Job on Monday and previous jobs have had me nowhere

Post by Newtonix53 »

Nope we all have kit bags full of stuff
Fraserco

Post by Fraserco »

If you are doing multidrop, there will be places to stop. Wet wipes, deodorant, antibacterial wipes, sunglasses, phone charger, torch, hi viz, hat, gloves, safety glasses depending on where you are delivering to. Hard hat again incase going on to sites.
Mohamelle

Post by Mohamelle »

Good luck don't forget your lunch
SSandoriz

Post by SSandoriz »

Pens..clip board and a A to Z …diary for start times..finish hours worked etc.. awkward drops etc for notes..and dodgy post codes… a lot of stuff you’ll find you need and a lot you won’t ..you’ll work it out as time goes on..don’t over think or complicate things..if stuck ask..that’s what the office is for..don’t be a hero..get out and look..sat nav’s are not 100% accurate..
Krankield

Post by Krankield »

SSandoriz wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:14 am Pens..clip board and a A to Z …diary for start times..finish hours worked etc.. awkward drops etc for notes..and dodgy post codes… a lot of stuff you’ll find you need and a lot you won’t ..you’ll work it out as time goes on..don’t over think or complicate things..if stuck ask..that’s what the office is for..don’t be a hero..get out and look..sat nav’s are not 100% accurate..
^^ This ^^ 👍🏻
JPaxella

Post by JPaxella »

Those ratchet straps don't look like much cop,I wouldn't bother with them 👍
CianPac

Post by CianPac »

JPaxella wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:19 am Those ratchet straps don't look like much cop,I wouldn't bother with them 👍
apparently they can hold 800kg each but I literally got them for a back up incase I don't have any and can't somewhat secure a load. I wasn't going to pay big bucks for them hopefully I'll remember to check before I leave and have spare ones anyway👍
JPaxella

Post by JPaxella »

CianPac wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:20 am
JPaxella wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:19 am Those ratchet straps don't look like much cop,I wouldn't bother with them 👍
apparently they can hold 800kg each but I literally got them for a back up incase I don't have any and can't somewhat secure a load. I wasn't going to pay big bucks for them hopefully I'll remember to check before I leave and have spare ones anyway👍
fair play for thinking of it but I think it would look like a band aid fix for an amputation, most company's that need ratchet straps to be used usually have a few boxes lying about 👍
CianPac

Post by CianPac »

JPaxella wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:21 am
fair play for thinking of it but I think it would look like a band aid fix for an amputation, most company's that need ratchet straps to be used usually have a few boxes lying about 👍
Yeah they probably would looks stupid up against the heavy ones now i think about it😅
Kanellin

Post by Kanellin »

CianPac wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:21 am
JPaxella wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:21 am

Yeah they probably would looks stupid up against the heavy ones now i think about it😅
just get some straps from where you work…. I asked and got given a couple….
Loziron51

Post by Loziron51 »

Small first aid kit might one day be some use
Brettonex

Post by Brettonex »

I wouldn't worry about the cooler bag this time of year buddy but that's just me...
Transonix

Post by Transonix »

hard hat and safety glasses not seen mentioned o and covid face masks light weight wet gear (not got round to that yet meself still got bomber jacket thick hiviz raincoat) should be first aid kit in the wagon get a phone mount
Krankield

Post by Krankield »

Depending on unit and phone. And auxiliary cable. Some tightarse companies don't get Bluetooth package on sound system.
Also, a phone charger for the cigarette lighter
Wannerco

Post by Wannerco »

I use to work with a guy who took 2 big holdalls and we were on 10hrs days everyday.
WhitechV2

Post by WhitechV2 »

Apart from a £3 Tescos diary. Non of that. And l'm out all week 😂
Stuartec

Post by Stuartec »

Always best to be prepared than not, you'll find very soon what stuff you find you need and not need so much, I personally have whittled down loads of what I carried when I first started out
Stuartec

Post by Stuartec »

100 percent recommend wet wipes a must tho
Anguson

Post by Anguson »

I have a holdall, carries note book, plastic document folder for paperwork, licence holder to keep all cards in, trucker map, torch, sat nav, gadget box for phone, hands free etc, first aid kit, spare straps, spare gloves, wipes, box of taco rolls, paracetamol & ibuprofen, wash kit…. most of our guys have far bigger bags so I’m happy I don’t look too much of a departure tool 😂
Peachilla

Post by Peachilla »

Count yourself lucky that we have sat navs now, you'd need another bag the same size to carry around your AtoZ's
JamPuff

Post by JamPuff »

Peachilla wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:38 am Count yourself lucky that we have sat navs now, you'd need another bag the same size to carry around your AtoZ's
driving 25 years never used maps yet
Briance

Post by Briance »

JamPuff wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:39 am
Peachilla wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:38 am Count yourself lucky that we have sat navs now, you'd need another bag the same size to carry around your AtoZ's
driving 25 years never used maps yet
I remember those days
Peachilla

Post by Peachilla »

Oh and stop at the first services / truckstop and buy a multi point adapter for your cig lighter
JakeepA1

Post by JakeepA1 »

Good luck CianPac hope that all goes well for you.
Anddoce

Post by Anddoce »

That looks like a first day at school 😂😂😂
CianPac

Post by CianPac »

Anddoce wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:48 am That looks like a first day at school 😂😂😂
that's literally how I felt putting it all in the bag that's why I've asked. Feel like it's way too much but going on all the comments I don't have enough 😅
Anddoce

Post by Anddoce »

CianPac wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:48 am
Anddoce wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:48 am That looks like a first day at school 😂😂😂
that's literally how I felt putting it all in the bag that's why I've asked. Feel like it's way too much but going on all the comments I don't have enough 😅
you are just starting out mate good luck 🤞🏻 I’ve done 34 years this year I’m looking to move on to something different 👍
Rezaeide

Post by Rezaeide »

Good luck mate.
You can add seating cushions and 3 rolls of Tachograph papers to your accessories.
Corteille

Post by Corteille »

That bags going to be a heavy one.
JohnMc

Post by JohnMc »

When I was on days I barley took myself in, fair play to you though! Good luck
Robertee

Post by Robertee »

Like the touch it's like mine. Been driving about 5 months now. Helps with walk round checks and strapping loads down. I carry 1 in 3 coffee sat nav a few microfiber clothes for cleaning mirrors or cab. Lunch box flask of hot water. Bottle or 2 of water and it looks like I am off camping for a week. Don't care what anybody thinks
Daleerci5

Post by Daleerci5 »

If you have ANY relatives with a disability ask them to get you a RADAR toilet key. I got one off my gran when she was alive and it's been a GODSEND when busting for a dump and public loos are locked with a RADAR the disability bogs are always available
Andreich

Post by Andreich »

Daleerci5 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:09 am If you have ANY relatives with a disability ask them to get you a RADAR toilet key. I got one off my gran when she was alive and it's been a GODSEND when busting for a dump and public loos are locked with a RADAR the disability bogs are always available
you can get them from ebay
Corteille

Post by Corteille »

Everyone dose it letts face it if its your first day after the brain bashing you have had in training its no surprise new drivers fech everything but the kitchen sink. Its not your fault. After a few weeks you will soon know what you should or should not have in your bag. You will soon get fed of humpng a big heavy bag about especially if you dont have a fixed vehicle to store your stuff in.
Mooneyer

Post by Mooneyer »

Decent mate, maybe some cleaning stuff and some spare printer rolls for the tacho to. Can never be too prepared for a day out, could turn into a day and night never forget that.
Tamence67

Post by Tamence67 »

Mooneyer wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:12 am Decent mate, maybe some cleaning stuff and some spare printer rolls for the tacho to. Can never be too prepared for a day out, could turn into a day and night never forget that.
I'm only 4 month into the trade and yep been caught out having to sleep out lucky for 40 min from home my son drove out to me with duevet and some hot food
Mooneyer

Post by Mooneyer »

Tamence67 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:12 am
Mooneyer wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:12 am Decent mate, maybe some cleaning stuff and some spare printer rolls for the tacho to. Can never be too prepared for a day out, could turn into a day and night never forget that.
I'm only 4 month into the trade and yep been caught out having to sleep out lucky for 40 min from home my son drove out to me with duevet and some hot food
exactly what I mean, better to have too much than too little. Can never be too prepared 👍🏻how you finding it anyways? Hope you’re enjoying it. It’s not all as bad as people make out. I think you’ve either got it or you ain’t I love it still mate, 8 years in to. Took a lot of different jobs to find the one that suited me so keep going at it and never get complacent if you’re not enjoying it.
Tamence67

Post by Tamence67 »

Mooneyer wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:13 am
Tamence67 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:12 am
exactly what I mean, better to have too much than too little. Can never be too prepared 👍🏻how you finding it anyways? Hope you’re enjoying it. It’s not all as bad as people make out. I think you’ve either got it or you ain’t I love it still mate, 8 years in to. Took a lot of different jobs to find the one that suited me so keep going at it and never get complacent if you’re not enjoying it.
Don't get told how to drive by her indoors can what ever radio station I like can still loose a argument with myself in peace still don't like me own singing 🤣 most drivers come across are nice tips are plenty on routes and reversing I'm from Guernsey so not a clue where I'm going yet the learning is erm plenty for a 50yr old still feel like a 21 but the body says no tom your old and kernackered 😆
Bulentle

Post by Bulentle »

Once you have your truck, most services sell Chrome cleaning stuff, generally on offer 2 for a tenner or at the moment 3 for £15, the pink is brilliant for cleaning the cab, the glass cleaner is really good too.
CianPac

Post by CianPac »

I've seen this a couple of times will the company have the printer rolls? And also will they have a defect book?
Mooneyer

Post by Mooneyer »

CianPac wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:24 am
I've seen this a couple of times will the company have the printer rolls? And also will they have a defect book?
they should do, or if it’s not in the lorry you need to request it before you get out on the road. If they don’t have them rightfully you can refuse to go out. I just carry my own printer rolls to save time in the morning. Most people like to get out on the road, any hold ups can be a ball ache 😂
Hallonia

Post by Hallonia »

I take loads more than that in to work every day and go home every night, i like to be prepared lol
Michexair

Post by Michexair »

Don't worry about what others think of you seen drivers carry suitcases of tools and spares before now. What ever you need to get the job done
AlanWizz

Post by AlanWizz »

I think most drivers carry a holdall. A backpack isn't big enough for what you actually need for a day. I think you've got everything you need for sure and wish you all the luck for your new job 👍🏻
CianPac

Post by CianPac »

AlanWizz wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:30 am I think most drivers carry a holdall. A backpack isn't big enough for what you actually need for a day. I think you've got everything you need for sure and wish you all the luck for your new job 👍🏻
thank you yeah I definitely feel alot better about the holdall now lol so many comments. I may even need a bigger one sooner than I thought 😅
Richarte55

Post by Richarte55 »

AlanWizz wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:30 am I think most drivers carry a holdall. A backpack isn't big enough for what you actually need for a day. I think you've got everything you need for sure and wish you all the luck for your new job 👍🏻
Most space taken up in my bag is a small cooler bag from Costco keeps all me drinks and food good 👌
CianPac

Post by CianPac »

Richarte55 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:11 pm
Most space taken up in my bag is a small cooler bag from Costco keeps all me drinks and food good 👌
yeah same I may just clip it to the holdall somehow rather than it being inside
Donyco

Post by Donyco »

Ooft i think im doing good if i remember to lift ma fags n skoosh
Dhakalgy

Post by Dhakalgy »

Your set up but ditch the straps company should supply them they should be in vehicle good luck
Rezaeide

Post by Rezaeide »

Doesn't matter what it looks like. Better to have it and not need it than the other way around..After a time you will adapt your pack as you go along.
Most of the hard-core drivers who will take the mick will have done the same at one point
Daleerci5

Post by Daleerci5 »

Good luck mate..
Ignore the ignorant comments!! They clearly forget they had to start somewhere!!! I can't be doing with the negative prats on here!! All the best to ya bud 👍
Johnixtu

Post by Johnixtu »

You have to do what suits you.... you will pick things up along the way, helpful tips from other drivers, you will get things wrong, get things right..... wexare all different, with slightly different ideas, on doing the same job. Keep your chin up, don't listen to negative comments, remember the positive ones.
We were all learners, at everything we have done in life.
Best of luck buddy.
Stepayer

Post by Stepayer »

No seen drivers with suitcase on wheels and not Even a tramper take what you feel you need after a couple of days you will leave most of that in your car 😂
Richarte55

Post by Richarte55 »

Get ya self some proper leather gloves. Them thin rubber ones are awful. When your winding legs the rubber wraps around your palm!!

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”