Pallet networks, on class 2 if your a new driver they are quite an experience and I would recommend trying it even

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Johnyth91

Pallet networks, on class 2 if your a new driver they are quite an experience and I would recommend trying it even

Post by Johnyth91 »

Pallet networks, on class 2 if your a new driver they are quite an experience and I would recommend trying it even if it’s not for long.
Tight places, awkward customers and lots of drops
However that being said the family company I work for is not to bad and moving across to general haulage👌
I don’t get pestered, just crack on with the job. It’s not for everyone but I enjoy my job 👍
Attachments
Picture.jpg
Picture.jpg (83.55 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
Wooamar

Re: Pallet networks, on class 2 if your a new driver they are quite an experience and I would recommend trying it even

Post by Wooamar »

Some people get annoyed when you tell them the pallet goes with the goods and you can’t take it back😂
Johnyth91

Re: Pallet networks, on class 2 if your a new driver they are quite an experience and I would recommend trying it even

Post by Johnyth91 »

Wooamar wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:18 pm Some people get annoyed when you tell them the pallet goes with the goods and you can’t take it back😂
had that many a time 😅
Ardeless

Post by Ardeless »

Wooamar wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:18 pm Some people get annoyed when you tell them the pallet goes with the goods and you can’t take it back😂
I just used to tell them to use it for woodburning especially when delivering house fuel
TannerSo

Post by TannerSo »

I used to say them do you ask the postman to take away your envelopes they shut up then
Nicalco

Post by Nicalco »

what about the fact it’s kerb side your lucky it’s on the kerb not the road mate
Virgiller

Post by Virgiller »

My standard response "You ordered palletised goods from The Pallet Network, what do you expect it to come on, a fcuking tea tray?"
Past that, I just refused to engage with them
Thorneller

Post by Thorneller »

You drop them a bit further than I would have with a drive sloping like that would have been on kerb amd left there.
Johnyth91

Post by Johnyth91 »

Thorneller wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:23 pm You drop them a bit further than I would have with a drive sloping like that would have been on kerb amd left there.
that was as far as they were going, I did say this is the reality of online shopping
Thorneller

Post by Thorneller »

Johnyth91 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:23 pm
Thorneller wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:23 pm You drop them a bit further than I would have with a drive sloping like that would have been on kerb amd left there.
that was as far as they were going, I did say this is the reality of online shopping
not half been doing palletways 2 year mate love it specially when you get that awful customer so u turn round and say your pallets in middle of road I can't get to. Your house this is close enough 🤣🤣 or you get them tight street we're people think you have a button I'm cab that will make ot shrink to get down.
Carstapp

Post by Carstapp »

2.5 weeks was all I lasted doing this job.
I'd say this could potentially make someone regret getting their HGV if they think all work is like that.
Raimons

Post by Raimons »

Carstapp wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:24 pm 2.5 weeks was all I lasted doing this job.
I'd say this could potentially make someone regret getting their HGV if they think all work is like that.
kerbside delivery only 😜
Carstapp

Post by Carstapp »

Raimons wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:25 pm
Carstapp wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:24 pm 2.5 weeks was all I lasted doing this job.
kerbside delivery only 😜
The best one I had was in Edinburgh, a couple if Irish students moving back to Ireland, they were getting a flight that afternoon.
They put their goods on a blue 'chep' pallet, in their living room.
Their faces dropped when I asked how they're getting it out of the living room, through the door which was maybe half the width of the pallet 🤷🏻‍♂️
Me being me, I waited and allowed them to rebuild the pallet outside.
Raimons

Post by Raimons »

Carstapp wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:25 pm
Raimons wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:25 pm
kerbside delivery only 😜
The best one I had was in Edinburgh, a couple if Irish students moving back to Ireland, they were getting a flight that afternoon.
They put their goods on a blue 'chep' pallet, in their living room.
Their faces dropped when I asked how they're getting it out of the living room, through the door which was maybe half the width of the pallet 🤷🏻‍♂️
Me being me, I waited and allowed them to rebuild the pallet outside.
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Jamero

Post by Jamero »

I currently do pallet delivery’s, admittedly it’s not for everyone but I actually enjoy it! How ever I live in Devon so some of the places I go are very interesting but that’s what makes the days interesting 😂
Nigetton

Post by Nigetton »

I remember doing this, I was agency for many years, so I got experience with almost everything…
The company I did it for had a customer who made marble fireplaces……
Pallet delivery to homes, pallet weight 1 to 1.5 Tonnes…….manual pallet truck and expected to do it alone……seriously is that kinda shite even allowed now?
JonRoz

Post by JonRoz »

Nigetton wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:29 pm I remember doing this, I was agency for many years, so I got experience with almost everything…
Pallet delivery to homes, pallet weight 1 to 1.5 Tonnes…….manual pallet truck and expected to do it alone……seriously is that kinda shite even allowed now?
Yes it is. You can have a manual pump and dislocate your arms or an electric where the wheel spins futilely with the slightest excuse.
It's a laugh.
Nigetton

Post by Nigetton »

JonRoz wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:31 pm
Nigetton wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:29 pm I remember doing this, I was agency for many years, so I got experience with almost everything…
Yes it is. You can have a manual pump and dislocate your arms or an electric where the wheel spins futilely with the slightest excuse.
It's a laugh.
seriously pulling over a tonne on your own…trying to park on a slight hill going the right way to help it off the truck AND sometimes having to use the air suspension to assist with a slope to get it off……
And then hope you can stop it before it falls off the end of the tail lift…..absolute nightmare 😔
Ansellen

Post by Ansellen »

Nigetton wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:32 pm
It's a laugh.
seriously pulling over a tonne on your own…trying to park on a slight hill going the right way to help it off the truck AND sometimes having to use the air suspension to assist with a slope to get it off……
And then hope you can stop it before it falls off the end of the tail lift…..absolute nightmare 😔
yep it’s absolutely hideous. Particularly with manual trucks. Had so many dramas in the past. Had a tonne of bricks fly off the back once 🤦. The mess was outrageous
Paummer

Post by Paummer »

Ansellen wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:32 pm

It's a laugh.
yep it’s absolutely hideous. Particularly with manual trucks. Had so many dramas in the past. Had a tonne of bricks fly off the back once 🤦. The mess was outrageous
should have done it when it was all hand ball
Nigetton

Post by Nigetton »

Paummer wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:33 pm

I’ve done all handball to 🤣
Paummer

Post by Paummer »

Nigetton wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:33 pm
Paummer wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:33 pm

I’ve done all handball to 🤣
remember having eight packs of paviors for a small development got there late at night rang the bloke from a phone box down the road before mobiles that is told me he would bring some men to help me nine o clock next morning no fork lift so I backed in started there old jcb up and just pushed the whole lot of the side of trailer then shut the gates and drove off never heard a word about it
Batizer

Post by Batizer »

It's a laugh.
demolition derby🤣
Paummer

Post by Paummer »

Batizer wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:34 pm

demolition derby🤣
certainly looked liked that
Andyar20

Post by Andyar20 »

Is that in Kidderminster marlpool?
RhodesXo

Post by RhodesXo »

Every one has to start from somewhere
Damientu

Post by Damientu »

Just another day working General haulage 🤢
BigunsGo

Post by BigunsGo »

Quick question. Did some of this tail lift/pallet truck work but I had some absolute horrendous nightmares (mainly in my head) about the pallet coming off the tail lift. Honestly, at some points I dreaded going into work because of that. Has anybody had the same?
Only 1 ever pallet came off my tail lift in 6 months working there but my God, it was gut wrenching seeing the goods flying off the tail lift with my pump truck still attached to it. Must be a way around getting rid of that feeling surely? I'd be happy for people to PM with any tips or advice.
PeterKin

Post by PeterKin »

BigunsGo wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:38 pm Quick question. Did some of this tail lift/pallet truck work but I had some absolute horrendous nightmares (mainly in my head) about the pallet coming off the tail lift. Honestly, at some points I dreaded going into work because of that. Has anybody had the same?
Only 1 ever pallet came off my tail lift in 6 months working there but my God, it was gut wrenching seeing the goods flying off the tail lift with my pump truck still attached to it. Must be a way around getting rid of that feeling surely? I'd be happy for people to PM with any tips or advice.
remember the pallet will hit the tail lift and stop when the wheels drop off the edge, I personally hate that method but worked with other that treat it as the norm. I like controlling the pallet I’m the boss not the pallet
😇😇
Johnyth91

Post by Johnyth91 »

BigunsGo wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:38 pm Quick question. Did some of this tail lift/pallet truck work but I had some absolute horrendous nightmares (mainly in my head) about the pallet coming off the tail lift. Honestly, at some points I dreaded going into work because of that. Has anybody had the same?
it’s a lot easier to move it on the lift with an electric pallet truck as it has its own brake.
I walk it out front first on the diagonal to the left edge, then spin the back on to the lift so the pallet it side on.
All depends on the size of the lift and weight though.
Virgiller

Post by Virgiller »

Always let the pallet and truck go first. If it does go, you can just let go. If you're foolish enough to go first, not only could you end up lying on your back on the pavement , but your pallet will be coming down after!
Virgiller

Post by Virgiller »

As somebody that started doing this, I would not recommend it. Residential streets, 1200kg pallets, trying to pull it up an hill, trying to stop it running off the back of your tail lift, awkward items to strap up, boring local work and no distance and more drops than Christmas. If nothing else, it served as great motivation to go and get my class 1
BigunsGo

Post by BigunsGo »

Virgiller wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:40 pm
As somebody that started doing this, I would not recommend it. Residential streets, 1200kg pallets, trying to pull it up an hill, trying to stop it running off the back of your tail lift, awkward items to strap up, boring local work and no distance and more drops than Christmas. If nothing else, it served as great motivation to go and get my class 1
Thanks for the tips. I've been trying to see different techniques on YouTube and stuff like that. It does sound a little easier moving a pallet with an electric pump truck. Would absolutely love to see how some of you guys take the pallets off the tail life. There seems to be a few ways to do it and as of yet, I still haven't found a way where I don't sh*t myself taking it off 😂
Johnyth91

Post by Johnyth91 »

BigunsGo wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:41 pm
Thanks for the tips. I've been trying to see different techniques on YouTube and stuff like that. It does sound a little easier moving a pallet with an electric pump truck. Would absolutely love to see how some of you guys take the pallets off the tail life. There seems to be a few ways to do it and as of yet, I still haven't found a way where I don't sh*t myself taking it off 😂
just don’t stand behind it no stopping it, when it gets going
PeterKin

Post by PeterKin »

Johnyth91 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:41 pm

sounds like you need to go out with an experienced guy for a few days. 1200kg as mentioned before should have an electric pallet truck. I have pulled them manually but made sure if that is the case you have assistance. I’ve also refused if you’re expected to pull a heavy pallet up a hill. Especially if the only assistance is a dolly in stilettos 😇😇😇
Virgiller

Post by Virgiller »

PeterKin wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:41 pm
Johnyth91 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:41 pm

sounds like you need to go out with an experienced guy for a few days. 1200kg as mentioned before should have an electric pallet truck. I have pulled them manually but made sure if that is the case you have assistance. I’ve also refused if you’re expected to pull a heavy pallet up a hill. Especially if the only assistance is a dolly in stilettos 😇😇😇
Don't think I've ever used an electric pump truck whilst out doing deliveries. Perhaps wouldn't have minded so much if it were
Virgiller

Post by Virgiller »

Comes off the ramp. Some tail lifts the ramp flips over so put that out, then big wheel first and drop the pallet on the kerb. Remember, it's kerbside delivery, if the customer wants it halfway up their gravel driveway, there's only one way it's getting there and that's if they do it themselves.
Clear it with your boss before you go out on a day's run, clarify with him "It's kerbside delivery we do, right?"
Make sure you get his backing. Then when you go out if it's a residential, before I even open my backdoors I knock on and I point to the pavement and I say "That's where it's going, ok?" If they agree, that's where it goes, if they protest, I told em It's kerbside delivery I'm afraid, if you don't like it, take it up with the sender/seller.
If they still not happy, they can refuse the delivery (which is why you clear with your gaffer first, and also why you don't open your back doors until they've agreed they're happy with where you're leaving it)
Virgiller

Post by Virgiller »

One more tip, if you're on a big hill and your pallet is really heavy. Park facing down the hill. Yes it will make pulling the pump truck and pallet up the incline inside your wagon harder, but far safer than facing uphill, pumping the pump truck off and then it flying down the bed of the wagon and off the end of the tail lift hopefully not taking you with it!
Had an argument once with my old boss, had 1200 kilo pallet of roof tiles. Assessed the situation, decided to park facing down hill, couldn't move the pump truck. Called the gaffer, said it will take longer here as I need handball the tiles off (at least some to make the pallet light enough to move) and explained why.
He wasn't happy, he told me face uphill. I said if I do that, that pallet will fly off and kill someone, probably me. He said "Don't be so ridiculous, do you want me to come down there and show you how to do your job of you're that incompetent?!" My reply, "Be my guess cos that's the only way that pallet is coming off the f***IMG truck!" 😂
Eventually he sent his second I. Command out who tried his best shift this pallet before agreeing handball was the best option. Course the heavens opened so all the roofers vanished leaving is to it but we got there in the end. Matey who came out didn't fight my corner when we got back to the yard though. Wasn't long after that I left. Of your gaffer ain't supportive when you make the right decision, always better just jack and find somewhere else
PeterKin

Post by PeterKin »

Virgiller wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:43 pm

One more tip, if you're on a big hill and your pallet is really heavy. Park facing down the hill. Yes it will make pulling the pump truck and pallet up the incline inside your wagon harder, but far safer than facing uphill, pumping the pump truck off and then it flying down the bed of the wagon and off the end of the tail lift hopefully not taking you with it!
Had an argument once with my old boss, had 1200 kilo pallet of roof tiles. Assessed the situation, decided to park facing down hill, couldn't move the pump truck. Called the gaffer, said it will take longer here as I need handball the tiles off (at least some to make the pallet light enough to move) and explained why.
He wasn't happy, he told me face uphill. I said if I do that, that pallet will fly off and kill someone, probably me. He said "Don't be so ridiculous, do you want me to come down there and show you how to do your job of you're that incompetent?!" My reply, "Be my guess cos that's the only way that pallet is coming off the f***IMG truck!" 😂
Eventually he sent his second I. Command out who tried his best shift this pallet before agreeing handball was the best option. Course the heavens opened so all the roofers vanished leaving is to it but we got there in the end. Matey who came out didn't fight my corner when we got back to the yard though. Wasn't long after that I left. Of your gaffer ain't supportive when you make the right decision, always better just jack and find somewhere else
sometimes you don’t have the option of parking downhill, I had a regular drop here (Canary Islands) that I had to park uphill. Very heavy pallets of up to 1000kg very rarely with the electric Pump truck either, took to parking the pallets in the side of the fridge as I went down the truck, the only way to keep control of them 😟😟😟
Virgiller

Post by Virgiller »

PeterKin wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:44 pm

sometimes you don’t have the option of parking downhill, I had a regular drop here (Canary Islands) that I had to park uphill. Very heavy pallets of up to 1000kg very rarely with the electric Pump truck either, took to parking the pallets in the side of the fridge as I went down the truck, the only way to keep control of them 😟😟😟
Why no option to park downhill? If you can drive in, you can reverse in
BigunsGo

Post by BigunsGo »

Virgiller wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:45 pm
PeterKin wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:44 pm

Why no option to park downhill? If you can drive in, you can reverse in
Thanks so much boys, honestly a load of help here much appreciated for taking the time to explain everything. I wish my company took my "plea for help" properly and sent me out with someone experienced for the day. Solid advice lads, thanks a million
AllanMo

Post by AllanMo »

Merconin wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:46 pm
I bet that hurt 😆
Merconin

Post by Merconin »

AllanMo wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:46 pm
Merconin wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:46 pm
I bet that hurt 😆
lol
Merconin

Post by Merconin »

I’ve done 3 years with Palletways... will do this work again only when I will be starving, otherwise no way
PeterKin

Post by PeterKin »

I did it for a year, full time single dad and the company bent over backwards to accommodate me. Gave me a brand new truck which I had for nearly a month before they realized I had a class 1, replaced it with a Volvo FH500. I emigrated and still got a bonus that I wasn’t actually entitled to, twice. I brought it to their attention and said no. I got it because I deserved it 😎😎😎
Adamerge

Post by Adamerge »

Whites by chance if so see you later today 😅
Kevinui52

Post by Kevinui52 »

Hated the crap shops and house addresses the rest was ok
UrLoven

Post by UrLoven »

Done it for more than 2 years never again
Danndes

Post by Danndes »

I do pallet delivery in east London only been driving since January. It’s definitely Been a learning experience. But can’t wait to move on to something different. The company I work for good pay but so stressful
Daview710

Post by Daview710 »

It's ok. Better than general haulage really. Finished by a good time daily. I made the switch after 2 and a half years. Not sure I made the right choice yet. Working 11 to 14 hours a day on general not the best
Danitech

Post by Danitech »

Did 2 years in a Luton 3.5 t and 3 years in a class 2 multi drop for TPN. Now on general haulage night's out adr moffet and got to say although I do the occasional multidrop run now I don't miss it one bit.
Landonix

Post by Landonix »

Working on pallet network on a class 2 was actually a good job new places everyday new people don’t understand why people slate it! Unless the company you work for have you delivering pallets with a manual pallet truck! 🤣 electric all the way!! Currently on class 1 pallet network (NO TAILLIFT) and easiest job going no waiting on bays customer has 20 minutes to sort you out or your outta their! 🤣
NNorman

Post by NNorman »

Landonix wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:57 pm Working on pallet network on a class 2 was actually a good job new places everyday new people don’t understand why people slate it! Unless the company you work for have you delivering pallets with a manual pallet truck! 🤣 electric all the way!! Currently on class 1 pallet network (NO TAILLIFT) and easiest job going no waiting on bays customer has 20 minutes to sort you out or your outta their! 🤣
never gave us an electric pallet truck, carrying that round would reduce the weight of goods carried. That’s the excuse we was given.
Landonix

Post by Landonix »

NNorman wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:58 pm
Landonix wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:57 pm Working on pallet network on a class 2 was actually a good job new places everyday new people don’t understand why people slate it! Unless the company you work for have you delivering pallets with a manual pallet truck! 🤣 electric all the way!! Currently on class 1 pallet network (NO TAILLIFT) and easiest job going no waiting on bays customer has 20 minutes to sort you out or your outta their! 🤣
never gave us an electric pallet truck, carrying that round would reduce the weight of goods carried. That’s the excuse we was given.
hardly any weight to them! 🤣
Attachments
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (10.74 KiB) Viewed 1042 times
NNorman

Post by NNorman »

Landonix wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:58 pm
back in the day an electric pallet truck weighed a tonne…literally.
NNorman

Post by NNorman »

in fact I say “back in the day”, I think those lightweight electric ones have only been a thing recently when battery technology has improved a lot.
Would have looked more like this before.
Attachments
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (17.03 KiB) Viewed 1038 times
Landonix

Post by Landonix »

NNorman wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:00 pm

in fact I say “back in the day”, I think those lightweight electric ones have only been a thing recently when battery technology has improved a lot.
yeah you Al can understand and why they wouldn’t wanna carry that thing about 🤣🤣
NNorman

Post by NNorman »

Landonix wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:00 pm
NNorman wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:00 pm

yeah you Al can understand and why they wouldn’t wanna carry that thing about 🤣🤣
customer says “can you bring my 1.5 tonne marble fireplace up my gravel driveway for me”…
Errrrr not a chance bud, kerbside delivery 😆
Powergy70

Post by Powergy70 »

It kept me fit doing multi drop in a 18t
Romeodo

Post by Romeodo »

I did pallet track 10 to 12 drops and collections but only 3 or 4 no time for any more all I did was punch post codes in a sat nav and followed it like a fkn sheep considering I hate multi drops it wasn't that bad went on tippers that was even worse 5 tips they wanted but it's 10 because y have to collect it 1st
Stefunnol

Post by Stefunnol »

The faster you move the harder you work! High chance of back injury and broken bones!
Thomile38

Post by Thomile38 »

Stefunnol wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:06 pm The faster you move the harder you work! High chance of back injury and broken bones!
and a hernia!!
AndrewMc

Post by AndrewMc »

Plant was a interesting learning curve too different places and variety of machines and equipment but customers don't always mention access to site this is getting into cat worthy reservoir only way to do it was backwards due to a sharp bend the truck wouldn't get around and this was the only way the truck could get to site life's definitely easier on class 1 I still do tight but not swallowed by the hedge tight anymore lol I can see why my instructor said a year in class 2 would be more than enough before going for my class 1 haha
Attachments
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (753 KiB) Viewed 1027 times
PeterKin

Post by PeterKin »

AndrewMc wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:09 pm Plant was a interesting learning curve too different places and variety of machines and equipment but customers don't always mention access to site this is getting into cat worthy reservoir only way to do it was backwards due to a sharp bend the truck wouldn't get around and this was the only way the truck could get to site life's definitely easier on class 1 I still do tight but not swallowed by the hedge tight anymore lol I can see why my instructor said a year in class 2 would be more than enough before going for my class 1 haha
been to some like that in Cornwall 😡😡😡
AndrewMc

Post by AndrewMc »

PeterKin wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:09 pm
AndrewMc wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:09 pm Plant was a interesting learning curve too different places and variety of machines and equipment but customers don't always mention access to site this is getting into cat worthy reservoir only way to do it was backwards due to a sharp bend the truck wouldn't get around and this was the only way the truck could get to site life's definitely easier on class 1 I still do tight but not swallowed by the hedge tight anymore lol I can see why my instructor said a year in class 2 would be more than enough before going for my class 1 haha
been to some like that in Cornwall 😡😡😡
I know it's when they used to say "yeah get a artic down there mate" amount of times I went to places like this and wonder how much its going to cost to get a helicopter to lift me out haha 🤣
Schofixon

Post by Schofixon »

I went into recovery/copart collections, tight residential streets in my 12t can be a challenge, I'll hold my hands up, ive had a whoopsie but nothing major! Get about most places though!
Attachments
Picture.jpg
Picture.jpg (809.67 KiB) Viewed 1022 times
Liamczar

Post by Liamczar »

Try doing home delivery in an artic. Not fun.
Johnyth91

Post by Johnyth91 »

Liamczar wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:13 pm Try doing home delivery in an artic. Not fun.
artic’s shouldn’t be doing home deliveries full stop.

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”