Hello everyone I'm going to be applying for an op licence in the not to distant future which I will be managing

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Hendry74

Hello everyone I'm going to be applying for an op licence in the not to distant future which I will be managing

Post by Hendry74 »

Hello everyone I'm going to be applying for an op licence in the not to distant future which I will be managing myself can I use my home address as this is my or will be my business address aswell it's a ford ranger plus car trailer which I can get on my drive but also have the option of parking for said trailer at a local business thanks everyone
MortimMr

Re: Hello everyone I'm going to be applying for an op licence in the not to distant future which I will be managing

Post by MortimMr »

Should be able to run that under dual purpose exemption as long as its under 2040kg kerb/unladen weight.. I think 2.2 can be and the 3.2 is just a touch over IIRC
Hendry74

Re: Hello everyone I'm going to be applying for an op licence in the not to distant future which I will be managing

Post by Hendry74 »

MortimMr wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:06 pm Should be able to run that under dual purpose exemption as long as its under 2040kg kerb/unladen weight.. I think 2.2 can be and the 3.2 is just a touch over IIRC
It's the 3 .2 so over the threshold which I don't mind
MortimMr

Post by MortimMr »

Hendry74 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:07 pm
MortimMr wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:06 pm Should be able to run that under dual purpose exemption as long as its under 2040kg kerb/unladen weight.. I think 2.2 can be and the 3.2 is just a touch over IIRC
nice to see somebody doing the job properly 👌
I know of at least 1 person local to me who has an o licence at a residential address (7.5t) so I should say it is possible - im sure someone more knowledgeable than me will confirm that for you though.
Hendry74

Post by Hendry74 »

MortimMr wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:07 pm
Hendry74 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:07 pm
nice to see somebody doing the job properly 👌
I know of at least 1 person local to me who has an o licence at a residential address (7.5t) so I should say it is possible - im sure someone more knowledgeable than me will confirm that for you though.
thanks mate
Martincer

Post by Martincer »

4x4 dual purpose ranger exempt from OL if crew cab PROVIDING the unladdered weight of trailer is less than 1020kg. Tacho must be fitted and used, if ranger used for private use, records kept when out of scope either manually or on your drivers card. if trailer greater than 1020kg ie BJ moto shuttle, then OL required technically although discretion given by dvsa officers but increasing number of Traffic police not so. Its very rare to own a residential address that the TC is happy to be used for an operators centre. Yes home address for all communications etc but bear in mind dvsa will come to your home to check you paperwork etc. Remember that if you are your own TM, then you have to demonstrate that you spend at least 8 hours PER WEEK on you duties as a TM, so often more viable to pay an external TM against lost revenue. Hope that helps. Btw I have an OL, am my own TM, have a 4x4 and a 5ton sprinter and also in the same industry.
Hendry74

Post by Hendry74 »

Martincer wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:08 pm 4x4 dual purpose ranger exempt from OL if crew cab PROVIDING the unladdered weight of trailer is less than 1020kg. Tacho must be fitted and used, if ranger used for private use, records kept when out of scope either manually or on your drivers card. if trailer greater than 1020kg ie BJ moto shuttle, then OL required technically although discretion given by dvsa officers but increasing number of Traffic police not so. Its very rare to own a residential address that the TC is happy to be used for an operators centre. Yes home address for all communications etc but bear in mind dvsa will come to your home to check you paperwork etc. Remember that if you are your own TM, then you have to demonstrate that you spend at least 8 hours PER WEEK on you duties as a TM, so often more viable to pay an external TM against lost revenue. Hope that helps. Btw I have an OL, am my own TM, have a 4x4 and a 5ton sprinter and also in the same industry.
thanks mate so many different answers if I apply for o licence I know I'm covered then it's the safer option
Petericon

Post by Petericon »

Yes, I do just this with a 5t Crafter. you will still have to put notification in the local paper. It is complete bullshit, they really have to change the o'licence requirements for pickups and large vans. It is complete nonsense that a pickup and trailer has to meet the exact same requirements as a 44t 12 car transporter.
Hendry74

Post by Hendry74 »

Petericon wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:09 pm Yes, I do just this with a 5t Crafter. you will still have to put notification in the local paper. It is complete bullshit, they really have to change the o'licence requirements for pickups and large vans. It is complete nonsense that a pickup and trailer has to meet the exact same requirements as a 44t 12 car transporter.
cheers mate and yes I agree 👍
Trevonity

Post by Trevonity »

I asked the CLO that exact question and got told when you park up detach the trailer and therefore, the combination is not 3.5t 😱
Still unsure on how to proceed
Rhystero

Post by Rhystero »

I could be wrong here as things may have changed so I’m interested in feedback from other members.
As a 4x4 is a car derived vehicle this falls outside of the need for operator licensing as it’s not a van. I do believe there’s a weight limit for the combination though…
Gavinoll

Post by Gavinoll »

Rhystero wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:11 pm I could be wrong here as things may have changed so I’m interested in feedback from other members.
As a 4x4 is a car derived vehicle this falls outside of the need for operator licensing as it’s not a van. I do believe there’s a weight limit for the combination though…
already addressed in the comments
Hendry74

Post by Hendry74 »

Gavinoll wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:12 pm
Rhystero wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:11 pm I could be wrong here as things may have changed so I’m interested in feedback from other members.
already addressed in the comments
check out MortimMr comments below about 2040 kerb weight mate cheers
Gavinoll

Post by Gavinoll »

Certainly is a minefield, take advice on this, if the unladen weight of the trailer is under 1037kg you maybe exempt under the small trailer exemption rule, however only if you’re doing recovery, if hire and reward then ops licence required anyway.
Bluecorn

Post by Bluecorn »

Gavinoll wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:13 pm Certainly is a minefield, take advice on this, if the unladen weight of the trailer is under 1037kg you maybe exempt under the small trailer exemption rule, however only if you’re doing recovery, if hire and reward then ops licence required anyway.
I’m sure you meant 1020kgs for the trailer which then drops out of the system 😀

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”