Failed my reverse test for the third time today. Having serious doubts about everything at the moment. Any advice

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
MattheGo

Failed my reverse test for the third time today. Having serious doubts about everything at the moment. Any advice

Post by MattheGo »

Failed my reverse test for the third time today. Having serious doubts about everything at the moment. Any advice would be greatly appreciate. Tia
Zacines

Re: Failed my reverse test for the third time today. Having serious doubts about everything at the moment. Any advice

Post by Zacines »

Are you failing on the same thing everytime?
MattheGo

Re: Failed my reverse test for the third time today. Having serious doubts about everything at the moment. Any advice

Post by MattheGo »

Zacines wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:12 pm Are you failing on the same thing everytime?
this time I got at the start of the garage oversteered then could not recover. Having no confidence with my trainer.
Adamsh

Post by Adamsh »

MattheGo wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:13 pm
Zacines wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:12 pm Are you failing on the same thing everytime?
this time I got at the start of the garage oversteered then could not recover. Having no confidence with my trainer.
take the shunts if needed, no need to be a hero on the test and take your time, use it all if you need too
Zacines

Post by Zacines »

MattheGo wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:13 pm
Are you taking the shunts forward that you're allowed to take when you don't quite get it right?
ReeceFix

Post by ReeceFix »

whilst I get that you might not have confidence in your trainer if you do as they say you would pass. Its not in their interest for you to fail. What guidance are they giving you?
MattheGo

Post by MattheGo »

ReeceFix wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:14 pm whilst I get that you might not have confidence in your trainer if you do as they say you would pass. Its not in their interest for you to fail. What guidance are they giving you?
Not a lot he spent 45 talking to another instructor about test routes
Athwalab25

Post by Athwalab25 »

so spent 45 minutes of your lesson chatting about something they could do in their own time? That to me should be a huge red flag.
Has all of your sessions been with the same instructor? Or just the same company? Which technique are you using?
Personally I’d find a different training school and look for one that has instructors from a variety of backgrounds.
I’d be more than happy to help but I’m down on the south coast so it’s a bit of a distance. Feel free to message me though
Blunderc

Post by Blunderc »

Only started my practicing for this manouvoure on Tuesday !! I Passed 1st time yesterday (Wednesday) I didn’t think I would but think positive if you make a mistake at the beginning like I did use a recovery move instead of a shunt that’s what I did I saved my shunt until the end
Derekkai

Post by Derekkai »

What you failing on? You doing class 1 or 2?
MattheGo

Post by MattheGo »

Derekkai wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:18 pm What you failing on? You doing class 1 or 2?
doing class 1
Derekkai

Post by Derekkai »

MattheGo wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:18 pm
Derekkai wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:18 pm What you failing on? You doing class 1 or 2?
doing class 1
what you calling on mate?
Derekkai

Post by Derekkai »

doing class 1
for failing
MattheGo

Post by MattheGo »

Derekkai wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:19 pm
doing class 1
for failing
No confidence and feeling rushed
Lancann

Post by Lancann »

Did you go out the box? Too many shunts? Slower the better.. if you think your going wrong, stop.. use the two shunts to reposition.. might be some markers on the unit and the trailer soon as you see the one on the unit, full lock etc..
MattheGo

Post by MattheGo »

Lancann wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:20 pm Did you go out the box? Too many shunts? Slower the better.. if you think your going wrong, stop.. use the two shunts to reposition.. might be some markers on the unit and the trailer soon as you see the one on the unit, full lock etc..
I failed the first 2 times for oversteering. This time I steered the wrong way used both shunts so was unable to recover
Lancann

Post by Lancann »

MattheGo wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:21 pm
Lancann wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:20 pm Did you go out the box? Too many shunts? Slower the better.. if you think your going wrong, stop.. use the two shunts to reposition.. might be some markers on the unit and the trailer soon as you see the one on the unit, full lock etc..
I failed the first 2 times for oversteering. This time I steered the wrong way used both shunts so was unable to recover
ah.. maybe a couple of hours with the training provider simply doing reverses the morning before your test? I was also nervous about the reverse in C1 (passed C2 months before) and did a hour in the yard before the test. I know its more expense but it may be worth it?
Slower you go the more control you have over the trailer position.. the instant you start moving back, full right hand lock, hopefully theres a marker on the headboard to show you the correct position then as quick as you can straighten up, once your rear axels are at the side of the cone, left lock and then use the lines to straighten up on.
You'll crack it, good luck!!
Lancann

Post by Lancann »

Ive just seen your comment about the training provider and lack of confidence in them.. as you are paying for retests now, plus the hire of the unit etc, would it be worth while going to another provider, explaining your position as the cost shouldn't vary too much as you are only paying for retests + hire?
MattheGo

Post by MattheGo »

Lancann wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:22 pm
Ive just seen your comment about the training provider and lack of confidence in them.. as you are paying for retests now, plus the hire of the unit etc, would it be worth while going to another provider, explaining your position as the cost shouldn't vary too much as you are only paying for retests + hire?
That is what I’m thinking they have moved my test date back 2 weeks I have paid and invested so much now I have so many doubts
Dignamco

Post by Dignamco »

MattheGo wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:22 pm
Lancann wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:22 pm

That is what I’m thinking they have moved my test date back 2 weeks I have paid and invested so much now I have so many doubts
a small turn becomes a big turn fast and you can find yourself oversteering both ways to try correct it. i would advise reversing very slowly give it a little bit turn let the trailer turn out slightly then take the turn off and let the trailer turn out slowly then opposite turn to square it when ready. taking it nice and slow will allow you plenty of time to make small adjustment turns. best of luck to you.
Logance

Post by Logance »

Try not to get discouraged, they will fail you for anything
Cernator

Post by Cernator »

Take your time, every failure is a success, mindset 🤜🔥
MattheGo

Post by MattheGo »

Cernator wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:25 pm Take your time, every failure is a success, mindset 🤜🔥
yeah thanks my instructor is not encouraging at all
Cernator

Post by Cernator »

MattheGo wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:26 pm
Cernator wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:25 pm Take your time, every failure is a success, mindset 🤜🔥
he sounds like a mug, can't u change to another trainer, or maybe change schools if u can afford it
MattheGo

Post by MattheGo »

Cernator wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:26 pm
he sounds like a mug, can't u change to another trainer, or maybe change schools if u can afford it
He is the only one that can train on the reverse
Finnegis

Post by Finnegis »

MattheGo wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:27 pm

he not doing a good job so far.
MyB7500

Post by MyB7500 »

Where are you based, please? If anywhere near Dudley, DY1 then I can teach you the side and reverse parking in less than half hour... I used to train drivers in the military - successfully 8-)
Finnegis

Post by Finnegis »

if it’s how truck reacts. Sounds daft get a toy artic and watch as you reverse it.
Jonespy

Post by Jonespy »

when you say he's the only one that can train on the reverse. Are there other trainers and what reason are they giving?
Jakeffin

Post by Jakeffin »

Slow down u have half hour to complete it all slow speed fast little steering
Vasilehi

Post by Vasilehi »

Failure is success in progress mate...
PPhillips

Post by PPhillips »

A small turn will become a big unless you take it off. Slow and steady and you will do it. Remember pull it to lose it.
Viorellon

Post by Viorellon »

I know how you feel. I was all most giving up too. But kept going and I eventually passed, then passed my drive first time.
You can and you will do it. Keep going 💪
Andriune

Post by Andriune »

Your instructor has failed you by not teaching you properly. Best tip: never rush and go as slow as you need to. Like, dead slow
Martincer

Post by Martincer »

Just keep going mate. U will get there in the end slowly slowly does it.
Trevonity

Post by Trevonity »

I passed on the fourth attempt, I suffer from massive exam nerves, are you passing in the training area? If so get your examiner to put a mark on the trailer so drive up to the cones with the bumper as close to the left hand cone as possible. Go full right hand down until you see the mark then full left hand down careful not to cross the line. If you have the B cone in your mirror when straight then it’s a case of slowly doing it keeping to the inside cone. If you take a shunt take a big one. Most of all breathe it will come believe me
Morrison

Post by Morrison »

Trevonity wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:56 pm I passed on the fourth attempt, I suffer from massive exam nerves, are you passing in the training area? If so get your examiner to put a mark on the trailer so drive up to the cones with the bumper as close to the left hand cone as possible. Go full right hand down until you see the mark then full left hand down careful not to cross the line. If you have the B cone in your mirror when straight then it’s a case of slowly doing it keeping to the inside cone. If you take a shunt take a big one. Most of all breathe it will come believe me
this is how I passed mine you can also break it into 3 stages one full turn right then reverse until you see the mark on the front of the trailer then stop apply hand break then full turn all the way left then move again until trailer and unit are in a strait line then stop hand break again you should be able to see the cone in your mirror straiten up again then then reverse again little movements each way and follow the trailer in. Each stop and hand break gives you a breathing space to control yourself before the next steps and is perfectly acceptable to adjust steering wile stopped. Take your time you have plenty off it.
Wayneos

Post by Wayneos »

Let the trailer do the work... Small steady movements on the wheel... Dont run over the examiner
Mikeso80

Post by Mikeso80 »

Are u not using a marker on the mud guard,
MattheGo

Post by MattheGo »

Mikeso80 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:03 pm Are u not using a marker on the mud guard,
yeah
Mikeso80

Post by Mikeso80 »

MattheGo wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:03 pm
Mikeso80 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:03 pm Are u not using a marker on the mud guard,
yeah
find that point m8 it will come 100% concentration needed buddy
Southix

Post by Southix »

It might sound silly but buy a toy truck and learn what the trailer does with that and then go as slow as you can in your test and don’t over think it.
Bridgeox

Post by Bridgeox »

That’s a shi7 load of money on re-test’s mate
Danieller

Post by Danieller »

As said above if you think your going wrong STOP have a think make a shunt and try again don't try and over correct pull back to original place (shunt) and try again slowly
Duttonix

Post by Duttonix »

Keep going mate never give up 👌
Stepho62

Post by Stepho62 »

No offence. But that's the easiest practical test. They basically tell you how to do it.
Colinx

Post by Colinx »

Stepho62 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:09 pm No offence. But that's the easiest practical test. They basically tell you how to do it.
if you're not taught properly its not easy for anyone who hasn't done it before.
I struggled with my first instructor before the initial covid lockdown and sailed through it with a better instructor.
Willen

Post by Willen »

Stepho62 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:09 pm No offence. But that's the easiest practical test. They basically tell you how to do it.
This is what I don't understand.
My instructor gave me step by step instructions, I followed them and the trailer went straight into the bay/garage.
It wasn't really reversing, it was just blindly following instructions. I didn't do a single bit of thinking on the whole reverse.
Stepho62

Post by Stepho62 »

But seriously. Take your time. You get half hour for the reverse test. Go very slowly, get your position right before the reverse and if in doubt. Take your shunt. Then when backing into the bay. Stop where you think is a little but short. Get out and take a look then back up a touch if needed
Iuliange

Post by Iuliange »

Stepho62 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:10 pm But seriously. Take your time. You get half hour for the reverse test. Go very slowly, get your position right before the reverse and if in doubt. Take your shunt. Then when backing into the bay. Stop where you think is a little but short. Get out and take a look then back up a touch if needed
you get 30 minutes to do the reverse, uncoupling and recoupling.
Tatech

Post by Tatech »

Almost failed mine because the truck wouldn’t steer at anything less then 4 mph 😂
Dignamco

Post by Dignamco »

Take your time.
If necessary, put the handbrake on. Turn the engine off and walk around the truck.
Tell the examiner you're looking for unseen hazards, as you know there are blindspots.
Don't tell them you're nervous as f**k and after a breath.😉
And good luck mate.
Chill.
And take your time even if the dip is looking at his watch, worried he's not going to be back to knock one out watching loose women
Ionitech

Post by Ionitech »

The only advice I can give is what my army sergeant instructor rammed into me with the clipboard rapped on my head (and threats of where he was going to stick it). “If you can’t see daylight between the cone and the wheel in your mirror, stop, go forward a bit and reverse again! Touch the cone and you’re stuffed!”
Jeffiyeh

Post by Jeffiyeh »

Ionitech wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:15 pm The only advice I can give is what my army sergeant instructor rammed into me with the clipboard rapped on my head (and threats of where he was going to stick it). “If you can’t see daylight between the cone and the wheel in your mirror, stop, go forward a bit and reverse again! Touch the cone and you’re stuffed!”
you must have had it tough pal I passed my class 1 in the army 22 years ago all I remember is going on jollies to Bridlington and Scarborough for an ice cream 🍦 in an old Bedford 😆👍
Cunnion17

Post by Cunnion17 »

Ionitech wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:15 pm The only advice I can give is what my army sergeant instructor rammed into me with the clipboard rapped on my head (and threats of where he was going to stick it). “If you can’t see daylight between the cone and the wheel in your mirror, stop, go forward a bit and reverse again! Touch the cone and you’re stuffed!”
ah the old mk Mj and Beverley memorial
Jonesto

Post by Jonesto »

Know how you feel mate, I have so far failed mine twice, first time I took to many shunts then the second attempt I forgot the tug test, no drama, just put it behind you and try again, have got my third attempt booked for next week so good luck to you on your next attempt 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
MattheGo

Post by MattheGo »

Jonesto wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:21 pm Know how you feel mate, I have so far failed mine twice, first time I took to many shunts then the second attempt I forgot the tug test, no drama, just put it behind you and try again, have got my third attempt booked for next week so good luck to you on your next attempt 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
failed 3 so I think it’s time to try a different company
Jonesto

Post by Jonesto »

MattheGo wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:22 pm
Jonesto wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:21 pm Know how you feel mate, I have so far failed mine twice, first time I took to many shunts then the second attempt I forgot the tug test, no drama, just put it behind you and try again, have got my third attempt booked for next week so good luck to you on your next attempt 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
failed 3 so I think it’s time to try a different company
perhaps, I have got myself a place with Goldstar in Suffolk on their academy scheme, the training school is was with wanted another £1000 of my own money and to be fair they weren’t very good, 4hours training three times a week wasn’t going to cut it tbf. I start with Goldstar on Monday, it’s £500 upfront then the remainder £700 you pay off at £100 a week as they guarantee you a job on passing your test. Try and get on an academy course if your can, it’s cheaper and you get a job at the end of it, I know Cullina, Brakes, Evri aka (Hermes) and AW Jeakinson are all running academy schemes so it might be an Avenue worth pursuing, either way I wish you the best of luck for the future
MortimMr

Post by MortimMr »

Hi pal, don’t give up! Watch some clips on YouTube to help get it in your head. Is it wag n drag or artic
Wigginat

Post by Wigginat »

Crack on fella you will get there 👌
Derekkai

Post by Derekkai »

Most often it’s over steer. Try putting a small amount of lock on then take it off again. Practice until you know how much lock you can put on and when to take it off again.
If you can find a long white line on the training area, first practice running the trailer wheels along the line. When you can do that then put the trailer wheels six inches over to the right of the line then move the one foot to the left so you are six inches to the left of the line.
This will help you correct your reversing for the test.
Good luck.
Gorczyns

Post by Gorczyns »

Keep going mate and remember nothing wrong with taking the shunt 👍
Joeiron12

Post by Joeiron12 »

You can take 3 shunts use them if you feel it going wrong not much real advice we can give you online as we have not seen where your going wrong
Ionitech

Post by Ionitech »

Joeiron12 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:26 pm You can take 3 shunts use them if you feel it going wrong not much real advice we can give you online as we have not seen where your going wrong
2 shunts max.
Joeiron12

Post by Joeiron12 »

Ionitech wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:27 pm
Joeiron12 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:26 pm You can take 3 shunts use them if you feel it going wrong not much real advice we can give you online as we have not seen where your going wrong
2 shunts max.
used to be 3 shunts
Ionitech

Post by Ionitech »

Joeiron12 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:27 pm
2 shunts max.
used to be 3 shunts
it was only 2 20 years ago when I took my test and still Is today.
Joeiron12

Post by Joeiron12 »

2 shunts max.
used to be 3 shunts
I swear I was told it’s 3 🤷🏼‍♂️
Ionitech

Post by Ionitech »

Joeiron12 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:28 pm

used to be 3 shunts
I swear I was told it’s 3 🤷🏼‍♂️
nope, in fact I had someone take 3 shunts recently whilst we were being audited by the dvsa. He actually stopped after his 2nd and asked the examiner and dvsa guy if he could take a third. Dvsa guys answer was do what your instructor taught you, I'd told him it was 2. He then moved to take a third shunt and the test was brought to a halt and he had failed.
Chsondie

Post by Chsondie »

Don't lose hope mate everything happens for a reason

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”