Had a job yesterday to collect a machine and tablet said woodlands and thought it was a care home or a private

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
MMartion

Had a job yesterday to collect a machine and tablet said woodlands and thought it was a care home or a private

Post by MMartion »

Had a job yesterday to collect a machine and tablet said woodlands and thought it was a care home or a private estate but no it literally was in the middle of the woods...
Attachments
A.jpg
A.jpg (104.32 KiB) Viewed 390 times
B.jpg
B.jpg (123.05 KiB) Viewed 390 times
Willynnes

Re: Had a job yesterday to collect a machine and tablet said woodlands and thought it was a care home or a private

Post by Willynnes »

That’s like many years ago I had a delivery of wines and spirits. The address was a little vague, it said it was for the Lord Daresbury, spent ages looking for the pub. Turned out it was for Lord Daresbury at his Manor House.
MMartion

Re: Had a job yesterday to collect a machine and tablet said woodlands and thought it was a care home or a private

Post by MMartion »

Willynnes wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:59 pm That’s like many years ago I had a delivery of wines and spirits. The address was a little vague, it said it was for the Lord Daresbury, spent ages looking for the pub. Turned out it was for Lord Daresbury at his Manor House.
got to love jobs like these you think it’s the name of a building or something but turns out it is literally what it says it is.lol
Bobiller

Post by Bobiller »

It’s jobs like this where the app what three words is perfect for.
MMartion

Post by MMartion »

Bobiller wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:00 pm It’s jobs like this where the app what three words is perfect for.
100% agree that app is the best thing they brought out especially for me as I do a lot of jobs like this and tele comms jobs as well and they always in the middle of a field in middle of nowhere.
Danhut

Post by Danhut »

Bobiller wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:00 pm It’s jobs like this where the app what three words is perfect for.
I think it's a brilliant app and I don't get why it isn't more widely used.
Johnaro

Post by Johnaro »

cause nobody heard of it and I had to search for it. the grammar would have help me but it is very interesting idea. https://what3words.com/waffle.files.pancakes
MMartion

Post by MMartion »

Johnaro wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:02 pm
cause nobody heard of it and I had to search for it. the grammar would have help me but it is very interesting idea. https://what3words.com/waffle.files.pancakes
it has been advertised on tv that’s how I found out about it one of the best apps ever brought out even thou it’s not specifically for hgvs.
Johnaro

Post by Johnaro »

MMartion wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:02 pm
it has been advertised on tv that’s how I found out about it one of the best apps ever brought out even thou it’s not specifically for hgvs.
lol even my son knew but i don't watch any telly. I gave my tv license back years ago and just watch netflix or this stuff when i want.
MMartion

Post by MMartion »

Johnaro wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:03 pm

lol even my son knew but i don't watch any telly. I gave my tv license back years ago and just watch netflix or this stuff when i want.
lol yea it’s a really good app especially if you do a lot of jobs that in fields or postcode dont work but just be careful with it as it’s like using Google maps it’s designed for cars.
Bobiller

Post by Bobiller »

MMartion wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:04 pm
Johnaro wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:03 pm

lol yea it’s a really good app especially if you do a lot of jobs that in fields or postcode dont work but just be careful with it as it’s like using Google maps it’s designed for cars.
googling the app either way takes you to exactly the same place!
Coliish

Post by Coliish »

W3W should be a line in every address. Even in towns there are roads with no numbers just house names. During a 30 year career as a delivery van driver W3W would have saved loads of time and risk looking for names while avoiding crashing into parked cars.
Richaffer41

Post by Richaffer41 »

Once delivered to a cottage, it was just a dirt track through the woods, cab swinging from side to side, branches bouncing off the screen.
When I found it (customer guided me on phone loudspeaker) if it wasn’t for the fact it was a bloke on the phone I’d of expected the wicked witch to open the door!!!
Andconn92

Post by Andconn92 »

Had one the other week… 1 wheel on the edge, 1 wheel off 😳…… “ yeah mate we get artics up here all the time “ that old chestnut
MMartion

Post by MMartion »

Andconn92 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:06 pm Had one the other week… 1 wheel on the edge, 1 wheel off 😳…… “ yeah mate we get artics up here all the time “ that old chestnut
gotta love that never driven anything bigger than a smart car and all of a sudden they know the space a lorry needs to get though or the yea mate you can swing round up there plenty of space.lol
Shermatt

Post by Shermatt »

Loading biomass from a chipper in Tweed Valley Forest. My instructions were to ring the chipper driver a good hour before I got there. Totally forgot, had zero signal on the bat phone, so spent an hour and a half driving around every bloody forest track until I found him. A lesson was learnt that day
Attachments
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (53.79 KiB) Viewed 364 times
Coliish

Post by Coliish »

Shermatt wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:07 pm Loading biomass from a chipper in Tweed Valley Forest. My instructions were to ring the chipper driver a good hour before I got there. Totally forgot, had zero signal on the bat phone, so spent an hour and a half driving around every bloody forest track until I found him. A lesson was learnt that day
another perfect job for the W3W app.
Piollan

Post by Piollan »

Coliish wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:08 pm
Shermatt wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:07 pm Loading biomass from a chipper in Tweed Valley Forest. My instructions were to ring the chipper driver a good hour before I got there. Totally forgot, had zero signal on the bat phone, so spent an hour and a half driving around every bloody forest track until I found him. A lesson was learnt that day
another perfect job for the W3W app.
at least you were warned first, for my earlier comment I wasn’t 😡😡😡
Warrisui

Post by Warrisui »

Was it a signed delivery??..🤣🤣
Allanster

Post by Allanster »

My best one was back in 1979 swartskopf. Hamburg Germany. So I might just know where it is. Had to borrow a page out of a phone booth
Piollan

Post by Piollan »

I had a delivery a couple of times a month to a farmer In Cornwall. After the first visit I was to phone a little before I arrived, he’d meet me at the back of a field with his tractor and trailer to collect the load.
Another in Cornwall insisted I could get an artic to the site, the wheels touching both verges and then a 90° bend onto the farm. A neighbour said I could turn round in his field if I couldn’t. I showed the girl the reason my trailer wouldn’t go round the corner like the milk tanker does and she finally understood! The farmer opened the gate he’d made wider, I just got in and had to shunt to get back out. The farmers comment ‘ you’ve just shown me I need a wider gate, I’m going to add another 2 metres to it for next time’
It wasn’t going to be for me lol
Jonzen18

Post by Jonzen18 »

Took an artic from Luton to oban Scotland. Paperwork said Luton. Yep they wanted a Luton van in oban. I started from Luton
MMartion

Post by MMartion »

Jonzen18 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:11 pm Took an artic from Luton to oban Scotland. Paperwork said Luton. Yep they wanted a Luton van in oban. I started from Luton
this one is the best one yet bet they had a shock when you turned up in a 50ft long 44t beast.lol
Jonzen18

Post by Jonzen18 »

MMartion wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:13 pm
Jonzen18 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:11 pm Took an artic from Luton to oban Scotland. Paperwork said Luton. Yep they wanted a Luton van in oban. I started from Luton
this one is the best one yet bet they had a shock when you turned up in a 50ft long 44t beast.lol
i used to run new uk manufactured furniture into Europe to be sold and run back with European made furniture to be sold in uk. Job came in Friday go up Saturday come back Monday. Got to oban to find it was hand carved cherry wood furniture. The manufacturer had on the Saturday to drive to Glasgow airport hire a Luton van to get the furniture from the workshop to the artic. Girl in our office London accent v oban Scottish accent.
MMartion

Post by MMartion »

Jonzen18 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:13 pm
i used to run new uk manufactured furniture into Europe to be sold and run back with European made furniture to be sold in uk. Job came in Friday go up Saturday come back Monday. Got to oban to find it was hand carved cherry wood furniture. The manufacturer had on the Saturday to drive to Glasgow airport hire a Luton van to get the furniture from the workshop to the artic. Girl in our office London accent v oban Scottish accent.
what and you drove all the way up in the artic?😂
Jonzen18

Post by Jonzen18 »

MMartion wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:14 pm

sure did against a massive head wind doing about half the normal mpg
MMartion

Post by MMartion »

Jonzen18 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:14 pm

that’s brilliant all the way aswell.🤣
Jonzen18

Post by Jonzen18 »

MMartion wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:15 pm

used to run all over Europe in an artic. So nothing unusual. Value of load was about the same just would have fitted in a transit Luton van. Our yard was at Luton and the scotsman rang up asking about Transit Luton Oban. Even when i got there he was waffling on about a Transit Luton.
MMartion

Post by MMartion »

Jonzen18 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:15 pm

used to run all over Europe in an artic. So nothing unusual. Value of load was about the same just would have fitted in a transit Luton van. Our yard was at Luton and the scotsman rang up asking about Transit Luton Oban. Even when i got there he was waffling on about a Transit Luton.
bet when u pulled up he must have thought bit over the top bringing a artic.lol😂
Jonzen18

Post by Jonzen18 »

MMartion wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:16 pm

bet when u pulled up he must have thought bit over the top bringing a artic.lol😂
nope i telephoned him when i ran out of suitable road never got to his work shop
MMartion

Post by MMartion »

Jonzen18 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:16 pm

nope i telephoned him when i ran out of suitable road never got to his work shop
iv had a few jobs where can’t get there or it’s wrong but never that far.😂
Jonzen18

Post by Jonzen18 »

MMartion wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:17 pm
Jonzen18 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:16 pm

iv had a few jobs where can’t get there or it’s wrong but never that far.😂
i give up when houses on both sides are hitting the mirrors at the same time
Charmax

Post by Charmax »

I worked for AFI, around Oxford and Chippenham this happened at least once a day
MMartion

Post by MMartion »

Charmax wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:18 pm I worked for AFI, around Oxford and Chippenham this happened at least once a day
I am employed by afi but I work for Wilson side doing only spiders and this is a regular day for me and you were lucky only doing Oxford and Chippenham I cover whole of south on my own and a driver a Leeds cover the north.lol

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”