So, I did this today, was being guided in by someone who didn’t see the post and obviously neither did I. I’ve only

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Rickyri

So, I did this today, was being guided in by someone who didn’t see the post and obviously neither did I. I’ve only

Post by Rickyri »

So, I did this today, was being guided in by someone who didn’t see the post and obviously neither did I. I’ve only been driving a month, what should I expect? Termination, bill for the repair?
Attachments
Picture.jpg
Picture.jpg (324.18 KiB) Viewed 909 times
Smulleno

Re: So, I did this today, was being guided in by someone who didn’t see the post and obviously neither did I. I’ve only

Post by Smulleno »

Accidents happen. Don't worry about it. Just report it properly and cover your own arse.
Gerryro

Re: So, I did this today, was being guided in by someone who didn’t see the post and obviously neither did I. I’ve only

Post by Gerryro »

When I did it I had a drug n alcohol test then back out on the road
Dont let it get you down
AndNeo

Post by AndNeo »

Most likely a few weeks of other drivers taking the piss 🤣
Leonte10

Post by Leonte10 »

As bad as it sounds, you can’t blame someone who’s guiding you in as your the driver, if you can’t see get out and look, the more experience you get, the more you’ll know how your vehicle manoeuvres so you can be less reliant, check twice one manoeuvre
Treleon

Post by Treleon »

Hahha, ask a Romanian guy to translate your registration plate, that will be funny 😁
Edketter

Post by Edketter »

Be alright as long your gaffer is sound accidents happen, probably just have the other drivers take the piss out of you for a bit 😂
Davetesm

Post by Davetesm »

In my experience most decent employers want honesty so own up and see what happens worst thing you can do is lie
Wronano

Post by Wronano »

Make sure you go through your companies reporting procedure, stuff happens.
Curtis2ee

Post by Curtis2ee »

We’ve all done it it’s all part of the journey of driving
Macinto

Post by Macinto »

Be honest. I’ve found the best gaffers will tolerate things more if you’re just honest. Take the row on the chin and move on
Tomente

Post by Tomente »

It happens but then it’s only MAN 🤣🤣
Dalysion

Post by Dalysion »

Just tell your boss you hit a post but not to take a fence
Juliance96

Post by Juliance96 »

World really isn't made for large trucks 😕 try not to let it get you down its in the big picture of things not too bad.
Kacperix

Post by Kacperix »

Probably send you for an eye test but honestly own up you be fine
SaundeGo

Post by SaundeGo »

Depends on your manager, if you own up to it straight off they will probably go easier on you, at the end of the day they have insurance etc for precisely that reason and mistakes happen, as long as your boss is a decent person you should be fine, they might deduct some of the cost of the repairs for it but don't worry about it to much, just hold you hands up and admit it, generally always goes down better 👍 i'm a relatively new driver and have had a couple of broken mirrors and the rear bumper they've been fine with it, it just expect them to probably take the piss out of your for a while after it 😉 👍
Campro

Post by Campro »

Nothing, it’s the banks man fault
KennRen

Post by KennRen »

Own up to it tell the gaffer the truth he probably won't be pleased but realistically accidents happen they should know that and just make sure it doesn't happen again
Lozrudd

Post by Lozrudd »

Depends who you work for. I had an accident the other month.... over shot the pin in a MAN crushed the diesel filter I got a verbal warning. I held my hands up straight away. All because I was rushing and didn't get out to check. Fair to say I've got out every time since and don't rush
Balutto

Post by Balutto »

Lozrudd wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:35 pm Depends who you work for. I had an accident the other month.... over shot the pin in a MAN crushed the diesel filter I got a verbal warning. I held my hands up straight away. All because I was rushing and didn't get out to check. Fair to say I've got out every time since and don't rush
been there done that… on day 7! 😭
I’m my defence the guy who trained me always said to stay in the cab, raise the suspension, back on, etc.
Since cracking the wind deflectors that fateful morning at 3am I always get out and check and double check!
The good thing about having these incidents happen once is that I know I’ll never overshoot a pin ever again!
Darress

Post by Darress »

Lozrudd wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:35 pm Depends who you work for. I had an accident the other month.... over shot the pin in a MAN crushed the diesel filter I got a verbal warning. I held my hands up straight away. All because I was rushing and didn't get out to check. Fair to say I've got out every time since and don't rush
think I have just done the same.
Cheworld

Post by Cheworld »

Just be honest about it. What to expect depends on your company. That would probably be a disciplinary where I work.
Alanadio

Post by Alanadio »

Don’t sweat it, mate, 💩 happens!
Not the first, won’t be the last…
Callumus

Post by Callumus »

Just dont bend down for the next few weeks lol
Lewiserro

Post by Lewiserro »

Most bosses are ok if you hold your hands up ,say sorry and be a bit humble in attitude.
DuQuess

Post by DuQuess »

Everyone has a bump at some point, could be a lot worse, get used to watching your downward facing mirrors
Meliton

Post by Meliton »

I would hope that the first you informed was you manager ❗
Not Facebook.
If that is the case, then you'll be fine as others have said just be honest about it
Gerryro

Post by Gerryro »

Just tell em you hit a deer, or an old lady..
Steenco67

Post by Steenco67 »

Lol, I wrecked a curtain sider by hitting a low hanging tree branch, it was a main road , the branch had sagged down and as I went under it coughs the top and put a hole in the front you could walk through, the next day I, on a different wagon I went out and scratched a car with my swing, the car was on double yellows though so that one went 50/50.
Haven’t had any bumps since but I couldn’t believe it especially the second one the very next day.
I just called up and let them know both times, owned up, continued with my drops then put it in accident book at the end of the day. The tree one I was near the depot so just slowly made my way back
Danncolo

Post by Danncolo »

Approach it in a professional way, be honest, be humble, show him you understand why it happened and you accept full responsibility, your mistake was being naïve enough to trust someone else and that is one lesson learned, give him some reassurance and be confident at the same time. If he’s a good boss he’ll probably tell you to make sure it doesn’t happen again anytime soon but he’ll also treat you with respect for being honest and you’ll get away with it without any form of penalty
Phillman

Post by Phillman »

Just tell your boss that you were trying to avoid hitting a pensioner but the overwhelming smell of piss and lavender made your eyes water and you hit the post
DarryZee

Post by DarryZee »

Just own up asap worst is a warning
Davello

Post by Davello »

Have you tried a bit of T-cut? 👍
Gibsco

Post by Gibsco »

If someone’s guiding you then your eyes are on him, not elsewhere. Not to lay blame but sounds like the guider is at fault bud.
Darkero

Post by Darkero »

Someone I work with did the same damage in the same place the other week cost my boss 2k to replace with spraying, parts not cheap on MAN. Depends what you contract states, do you get a bonus for no damage.
In future never rely on a banksman 🤔.
Stewall

Post by Stewall »

Pawsons are not a bad set of lads. Gaffer is nice just go in and tell him or if your out phone him and let him know. He will speak with you about butbif you hide it your in trouble. I've worked for them and you should be fine
Carleso

Post by Carleso »

You’re a new driver mate they know the risk when taking new drivers on accidents happen hold your hands up and take it on the chin. But definitely don’t let it knock your confidence sh*t happens mate let it go.
Paullace

Post by Paullace »

Always be honest but this is only a lesson just learn from it fella everybody at some time has an accident no matter what they say just crack on.
Claytonne

Post by Claytonne »

Should be ok. Words of advice at worse. I would never accept having to pay anything towards accidents at work
Danico

Post by Danico »

it is against the law they can’t make you pay anything
Stoimen

Post by Stoimen »

Danico wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:56 pm it is against the law they can’t make you pay anything
unless contract he have signed allows that.
Danico

Post by Danico »

Stoimen wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:57 pm
Danico wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:56 pm it is against the law they can’t make you pay anything
Nope it is still against the law
Claytonne

Post by Claytonne »

Danico wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:57 pm
Section 13 of the Employment Rights Act 1996 contains the framework under which deductions from wages can be made and allows deductions if it is required
Claytonne

Post by Claytonne »

Danico wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:57 pm
I just wouldn’t work for a company that asked me to agree to that but they can do it
Thrussfa

Post by Thrussfa »

You will learn from this. Get out and have a look your self next time.
Brianos

Post by Brianos »

I believe it is at least a month of urine extraction following a safer video
BBrunno

Post by BBrunno »

Hi Mate, sometimes we have a bad day.. if you have to pay for it, it's better to buy these parts yourself on ebay and put it yourself... If your company sends it to be repaired, it will definitely cost 3 times more...
Rossonix

Post by Rossonix »

I’d expect a warning at worse for a first accident and as for paying I’d terminate my self before I pay that’s what they have insurance for and why your not an owner driver if you have a belting week he doesn’t pay you a split of his profit so why should you fix his truck
Williano22

Post by Williano22 »

Rossonix wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:04 pm I’d expect a warning at worse for a first accident and as for paying I’d terminate my self before I pay that’s what they have insurance for and why your not an owner driver if you have a belting week he doesn’t pay you a split of his profit so why should you fix his truck
only place i knew who expected drivers to pay for damage was Wiseman’s Dairies
KiKevinn

Post by KiKevinn »

Williano22 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:04 pm
Rossonix wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:04 pm I’d expect a warning at worse for a first accident and as for paying I’d terminate my self before I pay that’s what they have insurance for and why your not an owner driver if you have a belting week he doesn’t pay you a split of his profit so why should you fix his truck
I heard peckover too Bradford.
Rossonix

Post by Rossonix »

there are more than you would care to believe mate tipper firms are the worst for it, it’s shocking though I’ve seen drivers charged over £1,000 for damages from a certain tipper firm in Bolton and they just take it out of there wages at so much a week like there doing them a favour
Hebbesso

Post by Hebbesso »

Rossonix wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:07 pm
there are more than you would care to believe mate tipper firms are the worst for it, it’s shocking though I’ve seen drivers charged over £1,000 for damages from a certain tipper firm in Bolton and they just take it out of there wages at so much a week like there doing them a favour
it’s illegal to make deductions from wages without employee authorization.
Williano22

Post by Williano22 »

twenty yrs ago i know of £3,000 deducted by Wisemans
McDonami

Post by McDonami »

Williano22 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:08 pm

I heard GBA Services did this to. Charged for damage.
Williano22

Post by Williano22 »

McDonami wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:08 pm

friend i know told us about Wiseman charge for excess he nearly fainted when i said at Asda the excess is £5:000 2K more but was relieved when i said… But we pay nothing
Davetesm

Post by Davetesm »

Williano22 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:09 pm

friend i know told us about Wiseman charge for excess he nearly fainted when i said at Asda the excess is £5:000 2K more but was relieved when i said… But we pay nothing
bigger fools that payed 🥴
Balutto

Post by Balutto »

Williano22 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:09 pm

i'd tell wiseman dairies to go poke it.
Nuttallic

Post by Nuttallic »

Cross Transport charge for any damage, and not just the excess on the insurance.
Where I work at the moment charges just up to the insurance excess, which is 1k.
Rossonix

Post by Rossonix »

Nuttallic wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:11 pm Cross Transport charge for any damage, and not just the excess on the insurance.
Where I work at the moment charges just up to the insurance excess, which is 1k.
I’d refuse to pay it unless I’m going on profit share it’s greedy bosses wanting more and more out of employees they take the money that comes in but keep rates the same but god help there losses
Nuttallic

Post by Nuttallic »

Rossonix wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:14 pm
Nuttallic wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:11 pm Cross Transport charge for any damage, and not just the excess on the insurance.
I’d refuse to pay it unless I’m going on profit share it’s greedy bosses wanting more and more out of employees they take the money that comes in but keep rates the same but god help there losses
well my boss is very fair with me, he pays me over the odds, pays for breaks and guarantees me 10 hours a day.
So to say he is greedy is incorrect.
Robbie45

Post by Robbie45 »

every time iv asked for guild in some where they v all put me into some thing so now I get out walk round if getting close to some thing
Lovrdon

Post by Lovrdon »

Robbie45 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:17 pm
every time iv asked for guild in some where they v all put me into some thing so now I get out walk round if getting close to some thing
place i worked you would lose any bonus for a month for damage which i thought was fair. still got your full salary, nights out etc.
Ianedge

Post by Ianedge »

If they say they are going to take money out your pay tell them to shove their job where the sun don't shone that's what they pay insurance for
CaradoA1

Post by CaradoA1 »

Accidents happen, I took a wing mirror off a van with the back end of the trailer in my 2nd week of driving class 1. I’m agency, and all was fine. Honesty, hands up, you’ll be fine
JohnBoz

Post by JohnBoz »

Won’t sack you as the next driver could do the same or worse, just learn by it all part of getting experience.
Willindo

Post by Willindo »

The first week I started at my current job (new driver) driving a mortar truck class 2 I had lads rushing me on site and as I drove off site flustered I caught a tub of mortar and ripped the mud guard off the rear of the truck along with the metal side rail. Got back went and explained what happened and they laughed it off and fixed it there and then and wasn’t mentioned again. The perks or working for a good company. Don’t stress about it and take it as a lesson. Definitely wound be the last accident
Childefe

Post by Childefe »

If you were being guided in by a banks man then it’s his fault, the company you were delivering to employ them for a reason!
Walshim

Post by Walshim »

Don't worry about it. I've been driving 30 years and ripped the odd bollard in my time. You can't see everything. You've only 2 eyes. 😉

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”