Hi, looking for your knowledge please - owner driver located in NI wants to do his own 6 week checks and maintenance

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Leonte10

Hi, looking for your knowledge please - owner driver located in NI wants to do his own 6 week checks and maintenance

Post by Leonte10 »

Hi all, looking for your knowledge please - owner driver located in NI wants to do his own 6 week checks and maintenance. He has a suitable sized shed with a pit, etc but it is located in southern Ireland (10 minutes drive from operating centre) can he do this or must he have done some sort of training course? He is competent just has no qualification.
Thanks.
Davidon

Re: Hi, looking for your knowledge please - owner driver located in NI wants to do his own 6 week checks and maintenance

Post by Davidon »

He'd have a hard time convincing DVSA and TC that it'll be done properly.
I doubt they'd go for it.
Leonte10

Re: Hi, looking for your knowledge please - owner driver located in NI wants to do his own 6 week checks and maintenance

Post by Leonte10 »

Davidon wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:03 pm He'd have a hard time convincing DVSA and TC that it'll be done properly.
I doubt they'd go for it.
thanks for your comment, I wasn’t sure if it had to be done by a mechanic or if you were competent you could carry out yourself.
SSuecorp

Post by SSuecorp »

He could go on an IRTEC course
Romante91

Post by Romante91 »

As SSuecorp has said. IRTEC is the minimum he could do.
Andoteo

Post by Andoteo »

Also they will look at how many hours you are driving in the week you still need your rest day so if fitting all weekend you can't drive every day during the week
Rylezen

Post by Rylezen »

Justin Webber know about this try to ask him
Adaximi59

Post by Adaximi59 »

If he’s competent he’s competent, Doing an irtec would be useful but not compulsory
Leonte10

Post by Leonte10 »

Adaximi59 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:14 pm If he’s competent he’s competent, Doing an irtec would be useful but not compulsory
I wonder is there any actual rules or guidelines stating this though?
Adaximi59

Post by Adaximi59 »

Leonte10 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:15 pm
Adaximi59 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:14 pm If he’s competent he’s competent, Doing an irtec would be useful but not compulsory
there is, I’m pretty sure the term is competent , He might just need to list his experience
Leonte10

Post by Leonte10 »

Adaximi59 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:15 pm
Leonte10 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:15 pm
there is, I’m pretty sure the term is competent , He might just need to list his experience
OK thanks very much for your help.
JayZine

Post by JayZine »

Competent is far better than qualified
At the end of the day it’s man’s license at risk, so it’s up to him if he doesn’t want to do it correctly
Leonte10

Post by Leonte10 »

JayZine wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:16 pm Competent is far better than qualified
At the end of the day it’s man’s license at risk, so it’s up to him if he doesn’t want to do it correctly
he is competent and the work itself would be no problem but he doesn't want to get into hassle if dvsa or transport commissioner come knocking.
JayZine

Post by JayZine »

Leonte10 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:18 pm
he is competent and the work itself would be no problem but he doesn't want to get into hassle if dvsa or transport commissioner come knocking.
as long as it’s well maintained to the minimum standard,
Suggest outsourcing loaded brake tests if he doesn’t have rollers, then there will be no issue
Ensure all maintenance work is documented
Leonte10

Post by Leonte10 »

JayZine wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:18 pm
Leonte10 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:18 pm
as long as it’s well maintained to the minimum standard,
Suggest outsourcing loaded brake tests if he doesn’t have rollers, then there will be no issue
Ensure all maintenance work is documented
thanks very much for your help.
BunkPlus

Post by BunkPlus »

He just needs to show he is competent
BunkPlus

Post by BunkPlus »

Maybe I can help him in future I am looking to buy house in NI on border of SI maybe we can link up I am TM and Also HGV mechanic
Webben

Post by Webben »

I would say if they are competent that the first big thing, they are willing to get under the vehicle another big tick.
The trick is have they got everything they need, if not outsource what they need to, such as suggested brake testing.
If they had a fitter doing this who was competent then this would be a question in house fitters are fine.
Record everything make sure a bill noticed and replaced on a daily inspection is recorded as well as replacement bushes when taken to the workshop. The location I would think would be a problem as you can check it all looks adequate. Daily driver checks, inspections need to match up and I would only think the TC will be concerned if roadside inspections fine things that should have been picked up or MOT failures that suggest that the inspections are inadequate. But remind the operator to watch the driver working time directive regulations regarding hours especially if they use a limited company and are PAYE to the Ltd company even if they are an owner driver.
Angella

Post by Angella »

I think the safety inspections have to be conducted in the same EU member state. Something that would be worth double checking...

Return to “Maintenance companies and mechanics | General discussions”