Let’s see what this Garmin is all about then. I’m sure there will be pro’s & cons compared to the tomtom

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
PattShay

Let’s see what this Garmin is all about then. I’m sure there will be pro’s & cons compared to the tomtom

Post by PattShay »

Attachments
Picture.jpg
Picture.jpg (386.59 KiB) Viewed 944 times
KellyBe

Re: Let’s see what this Garmin is all about then. I’m sure there will be pro’s & cons compared to the tomtom

Post by KellyBe »

Is the TomTom any decent?
Charense

Re: Let’s see what this Garmin is all about then. I’m sure there will be pro’s & cons compared to the tomtom

Post by Charense »

KellyBe wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:35 pm Is the TomTom any decent?
I’ve never had any issues with it TBH
KellyBe

Post by KellyBe »

Charense wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:36 pm
I’ve never had any issues with it TBH
thank you ☺️ I need to buy a hgv sat nav at some point 👀
PattShay

Post by PattShay »

Its let me down 4 times in London. Twice on a weight restriction, and twice on routing me through back streets to get to a job. So I’ve bought a Garmin to try out before I decide.
Jimmyex

Post by Jimmyex »

I prefer it to the dezl mate
Chrismo

Post by Chrismo »

in my experience no, wanted to take me down lanes and very narrow roads where I live, I just feel now I can’t trust it, sadly, it’s for sale if you want one
Peterra

Post by Peterra »

I bought the tomtom go expert first but it wasn’t connecting to anything so sent it back and got garmin instead. It works fine.
NeilMr

Post by NeilMr »

Biggest issue I've had with it is not being able to connect my phone to it. Could connect my old Huawei P20 but when I got the new Samsung, it wouldn't connect.. something to do with incompatible Bluetooth hardware. A software update on the unit didn't help at all.
So basically, things like the traffic update function is completely unusable.
PattShay

Post by PattShay »

NeilMr wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:39 pm Biggest issue I've had with it is not being able to connect my phone to it. Could connect my old Huawei P20 but when I got the new Samsung, it wouldn't connect.. something to do with incompatible Bluetooth hardware. A software update on the unit didn't help at all.
the Garmin?
NeilMr

Post by NeilMr »

PattShay wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:39 pm
NeilMr wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:39 pm Biggest issue I've had with it is not being able to connect my phone to it. Could connect my old Huawei P20 but when I got the new Samsung, it wouldn't connect.. something to do with incompatible Bluetooth hardware. A software update on the unit didn't help at all.
the Garmin?
yep
JonnyV2

Post by JonnyV2 »

I had that same issue with my Android phone with the Garmin drive app (the app you're told to download). I looked into it and downloaded the Garmin Dezl app and can get the traffic updates to work on that. For some reason the Garmin drive app doesn't work with Android phones so try the Garmin Dezl app instead. Hope it works for you aswell 🤞
NeilMr

Post by NeilMr »

JonnyV2 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:40 pm
I had that same issue with my Android phone with the Garmin drive app (the app you're told to download). I looked into it and downloaded the Garmin Dezl app and can get the traffic updates to work on that. For some reason the Garmin drive app doesn't work with Android phones so try the Garmin Dezl app instead. Hope it works for you aswell 🤞
ill give that a go bud thanks 👍
That worked a treat. Thanks for that bud. 😁👍
JohnSter

Post by JohnSter »

I have this garmin, only issue I can see is only does fastest route. No other options
Patrello

Post by Patrello »

same issue 🙄
Barnette

Post by Barnette »

Garmin won't let you know there's traffic until you're stuck in it.
Samathic

Post by Samathic »

Barnette wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:46 pm Garmin won't let you know there's traffic until you're stuck in it.
mine does?
Adaximi59

Post by Adaximi59 »

Barnette wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:46 pm Garmin won't let you know there's traffic until you're stuck in it.
I have the Dezl 1000 and has no problem with traffic. You connect it to your phone and it does it just as good as google as I run both when I am going somewhere new.
Charense

Post by Charense »

Adaximi59 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:47 pm
I have the Dezl 1000 and has no problem with traffic. You connect it to your phone and it does it just as good as google as I run both when I am going somewhere new.
uses the DAB built into the charger cable to do the traffic.
Mikeque

Post by Mikeque »

Used the TomTom swear by it!
Geoffix

Post by Geoffix »

I’ve got that one and it’s been really good. Love the live traffic and lanne guidance
Roeex22

Post by Roeex22 »

I’ve got both and garmin is far better than the Tom Tom
Bronken

Post by Bronken »

Absolutely swear by my garmin, it let me down once by not picking up a low bridge, but the signs said otherwise so obviously avoided it, always connects straight away to my iPhone, I use it for audio as stream a lot of music and that always works flawlessly, and the live traffic and lane guidance is fantastic
Endrellan

Post by Endrellan »

Must admit, never had a TomTom, but not had a reason to consider any other than Garmin.
CCathallu

Post by CCathallu »

Anyone ever used NavPal ? If yes, how is it ?
Elinest

Post by Elinest »

CCathallu wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:55 pm Anyone ever used NavPal ? If yes, how is it ?
NavPal was my first satnav, works great 99% of the time, only had one mistake with it and that was it thinking that a bridge was too narrow but it wasn’t
Great little helper!
CCathallu

Post by CCathallu »

Elinest wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:56 pm
CCathallu wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:55 pm Anyone ever used NavPal ? If yes, how is it ?
NavPal was my first satnav, works great 99% of the time, only had one mistake with it and that was it thinking that a bridge was too narrow but it wasn’t
Great little helper!
Nice, good to know.
Thanks
Kevindo

Post by Kevindo »

yes I had navpal it was good but didn't have any live updates which you need.
HHague

Post by HHague »

brilliant im still using it but no live traffic as already mentioned
JohnSter

Post by JohnSter »

Garmin can't record route that I can see aswell
Nicatto69

Post by Nicatto69 »

Where the best place for me to buy 1 as I'm needing to invest in 1 starting tramping/car transporting soon
LeeCoo

Post by LeeCoo »

Nicatto69 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:02 pm Where the best place for me to buy 1 as I'm needing to invest in 1 starting tramping/car transporting soon
halfords if you look at lukecinahgv on youtube he has a discount code for the tom tom
LeeCoo

Post by LeeCoo »

Nicatto69 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:02 pm Where the best place for me to buy 1 as I'm needing to invest in 1 starting tramping/car transporting soon
Code used on tom tom website
Nicatto69

Post by Nicatto69 »

LeeCoo wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:03 pm
Halford best for Garmin as well?
LeeCoo

Post by LeeCoo »

Nicatto69 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:04 pm
LeeCoo wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:03 pm
Halford best for Garmin as well?
they do the dezl 7inch lgv700 for £329.99
Neilazo

Post by Neilazo »

Had both of them throw the tomtom out the window garmin 💯 %all the way
Brewinn

Post by Brewinn »

I too have both!
Garmin all day long 👍🏻👍🏻
Jamnest

Post by Jamnest »

I got a xgody cost me 30 bucks a d has never let me down with low bridges
Jesussy25

Post by Jesussy25 »

Jamnest wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:11 pm I got a xgody cost me 30 bucks a d has never let me down with low bridges
it use igo primo doesn't it?
Jamnest

Post by Jamnest »

Jesussy25 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:14 pm
Jamnest wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:11 pm I got a xgody cost me 30 bucks a d has never let me down with low bridges
it use igo primo doesn't it?
yes
Kirbanne

Post by Kirbanne »

Love my garmin, best sat nav for the truck in my opinion
PattShay

Post by PattShay »

Must admit on starting up the Garmin, I much prefer the layout on the TomTom. The Garmin is like an android phone 🤢
Dereeton

Post by Dereeton »

My garmin is the worst £300 ive ever spent
Adriance

Post by Adriance »

Dereeton wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:19 pm My garmin is the worst £300 ive ever spent
I’d say same about my Tomtom
Ovidaro

Post by Ovidaro »

On tomtom sometimes live traffic is working sometime not! A bit slow. Took me on unpaved road, just mud was there.
Tonyan30

Post by Tonyan30 »

Never had one and never needed one. After 25 years my atlas will suffice.
Firunetic

Post by Firunetic »

Garmin is the best i used for the last 4 years
Medlamer

Post by Medlamer »

I dont use satnavs, a to z map books for me, people these days aint got a clue have to rely on technology
Slaterry

Post by Slaterry »

Medlamer wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:27 pm I dont use satnavs, a to z map books for me, people these days aint got a clue have to rely on technology
100%
Paocella33

Post by Paocella33 »

I work with garmin, I am satisfied😳
Jowettan

Post by Jowettan »

got dezl lgv1000 two weeks ago, so far ok....app on phone can be hit and miss
Allisons

Post by Allisons »

I'm not using satnav at all. Yellow Pages for me work a treat...
Kohlersi

Post by Kohlersi »

I have a garmin dezl. Cracking bit of kit….
ChappMan

Post by ChappMan »

I have the Garmin 770 and find it a cracking tool 👍🏻
Gregixell

Post by Gregixell »

ChappMan wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:38 pm I have the Garmin 770 and find it a cracking tool 👍🏻
I have the new one myself, not ideal for London, i needed have Google maps on the phone to support it whilst I navigated the streets! Not sure what sat nav can handle London central they all sh*t themselves once they see you on the the A1 inbound lol 😂
Alexxon

Post by Alexxon »

I use Google sat nav never let's me down,,,
PaulRee

Post by PaulRee »

Get a Sat nav with built in Sim - never need to connect it to your phone and receives traffic updates on the fly -
Costs a little more but no monthly fees and no hassle of connecting to phone
Douglass

Post by Douglass »

I use that Garmin and it’s never let me down. Even when in Europe. 👍🏻
Pirogen

Post by Pirogen »

Garmin 780 its Ok for me
Shaunio

Post by Shaunio »

How often are people changing sat navs out of curiosity? Wouldn’t it be better just to keep them updated?
Callannu

Post by Callannu »

It can only be better than the TomTom I’ve used..
MikeA1

Post by MikeA1 »

Not used the Tom Tom, but I went from a snooper to garmin, the snooper had better routing, but the garmin is much h easier to update. Couldn't get the snooper to update.
Vilyarc

Post by Vilyarc »

I have Garmin Dzl, it is not so complex, but never failed
Lukett32

Post by Lukett32 »

Definitely Garmin can't get on with Tom Tom
Leasan27

Post by Leasan27 »

I've bought a garmin and never let's me down
MickeyZE

Post by MickeyZE »

I’ve had my garmin for 4 years now always been good
Carszen

Post by Carszen »

I have the dezl 700 i think 🤔 but the road lords app is just as good if i was buying another wouldn't be spending the 300+ i did
PattShay

Post by PattShay »

I must admit, I’m struggling with the Garmin display layout and menus. Much prefer the simplicity of the TomTom display and functions.

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”