What’s the average price to go from car license to class 2 or go straight to class 1 had loads of different quotes

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Drewinfo

What’s the average price to go from car license to class 2 or go straight to class 1 had loads of different quotes

Post by Drewinfo »

What’s the average price to go from car license to class 2 or go straight to class 1 had loads of different quotes with dramatic price differences any help would be greatly appreciated
Janczado

Re: What’s the average price to go from car license to class 2 or go straight to class 1 had loads of different quotes

Post by Janczado »

£1500 if you pass all of your theories and practical first time.
Kimella

Re: What’s the average price to go from car license to class 2 or go straight to class 1 had loads of different quotes

Post by Kimella »

Janczado wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:05 pm £1500 if you pass all of your theories and practical first time.
That's a good bargain we paid like £3,000 class 1 and 2
Daviaro

Post by Daviaro »

Janczado wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:05 pm £1500 if you pass all of your theories and practical first time.
i paid 1500 all in for class 2
Paulzen

Post by Paulzen »

Douglass wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:07 pm I paid £1340 in 2019.
that's useful information, when he gives up lorry driving and invents a time machine that is 🙈
Wellecom

Post by Wellecom »

I’ve just started aswell in Scotland it’s going to be about 1600 for class 2
Elinest

Post by Elinest »

Wellecom wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:08 pm I’ve just started aswell in Scotland it’s going to be about 1600 for class 2
do your class 2 first. Get a couple of years experience and then apply for the class 1 licence. You find it easier to find a job if you progress slowly.
Kevindo

Post by Kevindo »

I paid in total £2950 for class 2, class 1, theories & CPC… That was Peterborough.
Jamevio

Post by Jamevio »

I'm going from car to class 1 2 weeks training at Ritchie's in Glasgow 2900 my test is on Thursday.
Jimmyex

Post by Jimmyex »

Jamevio wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:10 pm I'm going from car to class 1 2 weeks training at Ritchie's in Glasgow 2900 my test is on Thursday.
good luck bud
Matteech

Post by Matteech »

Jamevio wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:10 pm I'm going from car to class 1 2 weeks training at Ritchie's in Glasgow 2900 my test is on Thursday.
All the best mate
Wellecom

Post by Wellecom »

good luck bud
Mcgillex

Post by Mcgillex »

Went from car to class 1 passed 9th of march it was £3100 all in all
Davidon

Post by Davidon »

I would not bother with class 2 do class 1 test. You can drive what you like
Rylezen

Post by Rylezen »

I received everything from 1400 to 3850. So I chose one in the middle in the end. But it was more about the company and who made me feel most comfortable and at ease when I was making enquiries. Car to C+E I'm doing.
Ibentica

Post by Ibentica »

I payed £3200 all in with cpc
CCathallu

Post by CCathallu »

I would personally go straight for class 1 no point doing class 2 any more xx
Slaterry

Post by Slaterry »

I had to pass my class 2 before I could progress to class 1 anyway. Couldn’t do it any other way apparently. Passed class 1 in December 2021 and class 2 in May 2021. Started the whole process in December 2019 but then DVSA kept shutting down the test centres because of Covid. So, unless the rules have changes since I started learning, you have to do both anyway.
Mikeque

Post by Mikeque »

Slaterry wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:17 pm I had to pass my class 2 before I could progress to class 1 anyway. Couldn’t do it any other way apparently. Passed class 1 in December 2021 and class 2 in May 2021. Started the whole process in December 2019 but then DVSA kept shutting down the test centres because of Covid. So, unless the rules have changes since I started learning, you have to do both anyway.
Slaterry
Attachments
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (53.99 KiB) Viewed 1367 times
Slaterry

Post by Slaterry »

Mikeque wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:18 pm
Slaterry wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:17 pm I had to pass my class 2 before I could progress to class 1 anyway. Couldn’t do it any other way apparently. Passed class 1 in December 2021 and class 2 in May 2021. Started the whole process in December 2019 but then DVSA kept shutting down the test centres because of Covid. So, unless the rules have changes since I started learning, you have to do both anyway.
Slaterry
wow, pity that didn’t come in to force 2.5 years ago. Thanks for sharing.
MickeyZE

Post by MickeyZE »

Slaterry wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:18 pm
Mikeque wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:18 pm
Slaterry
wow, pity that didn’t come in to force 2.5 years ago. Thanks for sharing.
I went from a car straight to a class 1 passed my test 3 weeks ago
JohnnyCo

Post by JohnnyCo »

Join the ta or army get it for free and paid while you do it
Rossalls

Post by Rossalls »

I completed car to C+E 9 day course 2300 passed 1st time
Neilazo

Post by Neilazo »

Rossalls wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:22 pm I completed car to C+E 9 day course 2300 passed 1st time
so you could drive nothing and 9 days later you could drive an artic, that shouldn’t even be allowed 🤨
Rossalls

Post by Rossalls »

Neilazo wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:23 pm
Rossalls wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:22 pm I completed car to C+E 9 day course 2300 passed 1st time
so you could drive nothing and 9 days later you could drive an artic, that shouldn’t even be allowed 🤨
I passed my car test 9 years ago we from car licence to C+E
Neilazo

Post by Neilazo »

Rossalls wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:23 pm
irrelevant, IMHO it shouldn’t be allowed. Dangerous is a word that springs to mind.
Rossalls

Post by Rossalls »

Neilazo wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:24 pm

irrelevant, IMHO it shouldn’t be allowed. Dangerous is a word that springs to mind.
seems like you need to take this up with the driving standard agency as there the ones that make theses choices and you cant knock a new passed class 1 driver as dangerous as they could be a brilliant careful driver I can imagine there's enough experienced drivers that are dangerous
Rossalls

Post by Rossalls »

you cant knock a new passed ability when you don't no yourself everyone needs to start somewhere
Neilazo

Post by Neilazo »

Rossalls wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:25 pm

you cant knock a new passed ability when you don't no yourself everyone needs to start somewhere
a newly passed driver is never “brilliant”, you pass your test THEN you learn to drive.
Rossalls

Post by Rossalls »

Neilazo wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:25 pm

a newly passed driver is never “brilliant”, you pass your test THEN you learn to drive.
I agree you learn when you pass but some people's ability's are different to use the word dangerous is wrong
Neilazo

Post by Neilazo »

Rossalls wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:26 pm

I agree you learn when you pass but some people's ability's are different to use the word dangerous is wrong
it’s not “wrong” it’s my opinion.
Everyone should have to work up the classes and gain some experience at each class before moving on to the next.
A person that has only just passed a car test has zero experience of real world conditions and that makes them dangerous in a 44 tonne truck. End of chat.
Rossalls

Post by Rossalls »

Neilazo wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:27 pm

Everyone should have to work up the classes and gain some experience at each class before moving on to the next.
A person that has only just passed a car test has zero experience of real world conditions and that makes them dangerous in a 44 tonne truck. End of chat.
🙈🙈🙈
Neilazo

Post by Neilazo »

Rossalls wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:27 pm

🙈🙈🙈
oh and just to add. Whoever made this decision whether it be the government or DVSA did it because they are desperate to get people into trucks to address the shortage……not because they considered anything to do with what’s safe or the right thing to do.
GrumpxDj

Post by GrumpxDj »

Neilazo wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:28 pm

🙈🙈🙈
oh and just to add. Whoever made this decision whether it be the government or DVSA did it because they are desperate to get people into trucks to address the shortage……not because they considered anything to do with what’s safe or the right thing to do.
why is it wrong I passed my class 1 in 1995 and all I had was a car license I drove a LOT of miles since then and have had 1 accident how does that make me dangerous???
Neilazo

Post by Neilazo »

GrumpxDj wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:29 pm

🙈🙈🙈
why is it wrong I passed my class 1 in 1995 and all I had was a car license I drove a LOT of miles since then and have had 1 accident how does that make me dangerous???
I’ve just said above why it’s wrong…what would you like clarifying.
This isn’t a debate, I’ve stated my opinion.
The point you seem to have missed is getting experience of roads in a small vehicle before progressing onto large vehicles. Hope this helps, but I strongly suspect you still won’t get it.
GrumpxDj

Post by GrumpxDj »

Neilazo wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:29 pm

The point you seem to have missed is getting experience of roads in a small vehicle before progressing onto large vehicles. Hope this helps, but I strongly suspect you still won’t get it.
I do get it but driving a 7.5 ton was enough for years so what’s wrong with that experience?
Neilazo

Post by Neilazo »

GrumpxDj wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:30 pm

I do get it but driving a 7.5 ton was enough for years so what’s wrong with that experience?
nothing as long as you do it for a period of time…
The point is you can now go from being a pedestrian being able to drive nothing and having no road knowledge at all to driving a 44 tonne attic in 9 days……
GrumpxDj

Post by GrumpxDj »

Neilazo wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:30 pm

The point is you can now go from being a pedestrian being able to drive nothing and having no road knowledge at all to driving a 44 tonne attic in 9 days……
I have living in Canada and rules here changed about 4 year ago you have to have 100 plus hours in class room b4 you even do test and so many hours behind the wheel then most companies with make you do 6 mouths with another driver there very strict with it now days
Neilazo

Post by Neilazo »

GrumpxDj wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:31 pm

I have living in Canada and rules here changed about 4 year ago you have to have 100 plus hours in class room b4 you even do test and so many hours behind the wheel then most companies with make you do 6 mouths with another driver there very strict with it now days
and that’s the right way to do it.
So I wonder why you disagreed with me when it turns out you actually see my point and agree?
Rossalls

Post by Rossalls »

Neilazo wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:31 pm

So I wonder why you disagreed with me when it turns out you actually see my point and agree?
yes I agree this is wrong should have at least 5 years driving experience
Neilazo

Post by Neilazo »

Rossalls wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:32 pm

now you agree that you shouldn’t have been able to go from pedestrian to artic in 9 days?
JohnSter

Post by JohnSter »

Neilazo wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:32 pm

now you agree that you shouldn’t have been able to go from pedestrian to artic in 9 days?
i’d like to see anyone go from no driving licence to class 1 in 9 days….it’s not possible
GrumpxDj

Post by GrumpxDj »

yes that’s not right when I did mine I had to be 21 there should be a minimum time like 3 to 4 yrs of having a car license
Neilazo

Post by Neilazo »

GrumpxDj wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:33 pm

yes that’s not right when I did mine I had to be 21 there should be a minimum time like 3 to 4 yrs of having a car license
my point exactly……and exactly why it’s not the most sensible idea from a point of road safety.
Now thinking back to when I first passed my car test, I thought I was an amazing driver……a lot of years experience later I know now that I didn’t have a clue……
I actually went…
Car
Van
7.5 Tonne (no test as pre 1997)
Small Bus (1 Year)
Large Bus (3 Years)
Class 2 (1 Year)
Class 1 (16 Years)
Rossalls

Post by Rossalls »

Neilazo wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:34 pm

my point exactly……and exactly why it’s not the most sensible idea from a point of road safety.
Now thinking back to when I first passed my car test, I thought I was an amazing driver……a lot of years experience later I know now that I didn’t have a clue……
I actually went…
Car
Van
Small Bus (1 Year)
Large Bus (3 Years)
Class 2 (1 Year)
Class 1 (16 Years)
well I'm 29 and drove for a living for the last 8 years and has my license 9 years I've just passed my class one and I thought I was ready to step up to the big boys we all have to start somewhere
GrumpxDj

Post by GrumpxDj »

Rossalls wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:35 pm

I actually went…
Car
Van
Small Bus (1 Year)
Large Bus (3 Years)
Class 2 (1 Year)
Class 1 (16 Years)
well I'm 29 and drove for a living for the last 8 years and has my license 9 years I've just passed my class one and I thought I was ready to step up to the big boys we all have to start somewhere
which is fine you have road knowledge what we saying is you should be able to pass car test then do Hgv the next week there should be a minimum time between to gain road knowledge
Neilazo

Post by Neilazo »

GrumpxDj wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:35 pm
Rossalls wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:35 pm

I actually went…
Car
Van
Small Bus (1 Year)
Large Bus (3 Years)
Class 2 (1 Year)
Class 1 (16 Years)
which is fine you have road knowledge what we saying is you should be able to pass car test then do Hgv the next week there should be a minimum time between to gain road knowledge
ahhh I think I understand what you mean now……
Imreenel

Post by Imreenel »

£3600 car to class 1 all inclusive ... Deeside North Wales
Andrewsy

Post by Andrewsy »

I'm going to be going from PSV to class 1.
How much ya reckon it's gonna cost me?
Shaunio

Post by Shaunio »

I paid £1600 in Jan this year to go class1 without doing any form of driving in the rigid
Matteech

Post by Matteech »

I paid £1250 for class 2 back in 2013.
Matuzio92

Post by Matuzio92 »

£1450 class1 in Hinckley £2400 in Leicester back in January
Drewinfo

Post by Drewinfo »

Matuzio92 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:40 pm £1450 class1 in Hinckley £2400 in Leicester back in January
can you inbox me more details if possible please
Matuzio92

Post by Matuzio92 »

Drewinfo wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:40 pm
Matuzio92 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:40 pm £1450 class1 in Hinckley £2400 in Leicester back in January
can you inbox me more details if possible please
Automotive transport training Hinckley and J Coates in Leicester
Maitum35

Post by Maitum35 »

I paid around £2k in total for everything last year start to finish - class 2. That includes a retest.
Fraserry

Post by Fraserry »

I have paid £2300 for a 7 day fast track to class 1. I have my test tomorrow morning.
Mcgillex

Post by Mcgillex »

Fraserry wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:45 pm I have paid £2300 for a 7 day fast track to class 1. I have my test tomorrow morning.
Wow how much.
Elinest

Post by Elinest »

Well for a start you need to be 21 or over to do a hgv licence. Class 2 or class 1. I know there where changes made to the rules in September of last year to help address the driver shortage in this country by the government. I would do your class 2 first. Get a couple of years experience then do your class 1.
Mikeque

Post by Mikeque »

Elinest wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:46 pm Well for a start you need to be 21 or over to do a hgv licence. Class 2 or class 1. I know there where changes made to the rules in September of last year to help address the driver shortage in this country by the government. I would do your class 2 first. Get a couple of years experience then do your class 1.
well, the very first thing you wrote is wrong. You have to be 18 or over to get your HGV licence. And as for doing a few years in Class 2 for experience, that’s each to there own. If your ultimate goal is Class 1, you may as well go straight for it. The only useful experience you can take from Class 2 to Class 1 is the width of the vehicle, everything else is so different anyway.
Elinest

Post by Elinest »

Mikeque wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:46 pm
Elinest wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:46 pm Well for a start you need to be 21 or over to do a hgv licence. Class 2 or class 1. I know there where changes made to the rules in September of last year to help address the driver shortage in this country by the government. I would do your class 2 first. Get a couple of years experience then do your class 1.
well, the very first thing you wrote is wrong. You have to be 18 or over to get your HGV licence. And as for doing a few years in Class 2 for experience, that’s each to there own. If your ultimate goal is Class 1, you may as well go straight for it. The only useful experience you can take from Class 2 to Class 1 is the width of the vehicle, everything else is so different anyway.
The legal age is 21. Even if do get your hgv licence. You won't get a job with the haulage company's because if you are under 25 they can't insurance you. It has been like that for years with haulage company's insurance policy.
Mikeque

Post by Mikeque »

Elinest wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:47 pm
The legal age is 21. Even if do get your hgv licence. You won't get a job with the haulage company's because if you are under 25 they can't insurance you. It has been like that for years with haulage company's insurance policy.
no, the legal age is 18. Whether you get a job at that age is irrelevant, you have to be 18 or over, not 21 or over.
https://www.gov.uk/become-lorry-bus-driver
Elinest

Post by Elinest »

Mikeque wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:48 pm

no, the legal age is 18. Whether you get a job at that age is irrelevant, you have to be 18 or over, not 21 or over.
It was changed in September of last year to address the driver shortage in this country. Because of the Covid19 pandemic. There has always been a shortage of drivers in this country for years. It has steadily got worse. You also have to remember that a digital card is only for five years then you need reapply to get a new one. A drivers cpc is renewed every 5 years. If don't keep the two upto date you can't drive the trucks. At moment by sounds of it you can't even drive a car. All ready explained the haulage company's will knot touch you because of your age. It is the insurance company it will be stipulated.
Mikeque

Post by Mikeque »

Elinest wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:49 pm
Mikeque wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:48 pm

It was changed in September of last year to address the driver shortage in this country. Because of the Covid19 pandemic. There has always been a shortage of drivers in this country for years. It has steadily got worse. You also have to remember that a digital card is only for five years then you need reapply to get a new one. A drivers cpc is renewed every 5 years. If don't keep the two upto date you can't drive the trucks. At moment by sounds of it you can't even drive a car. All ready explained the haulage company's will knot touch you because of your age. It is the insurance company it will be stipulated.
Were you born stupid or do you have to work at it? Either way you do a good job of being an idiot. You’re wrong and won’t ever admit it, the legal age to drive a HGV is 18, nothing to do with Digi Cards or CPC’s. Whether you get a job or not is up to the Company but you can drive at 18. The age limit was reduced to 18 in 2009, nothing to do with the Pandemic.
Oh, and I can drive everything except buses, and have been for nearly 20 years.
Drewinfo

Post by Drewinfo »

Attachments
Picture.jpg
Picture.jpg (54.12 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
Elinest

Post by Elinest »

Drewinfo wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:50 pm...
You won't get a job. Because you don't have the experience. The haulage company won't take you on. There is a big difference driving a 3.5 ton van to a 17 tonner right up to a 44 ton truck. A very big difference. For a start you are 50 feet long, your 8 feet wide anything up 16 feet in height. Six axles one being a lift axle 3 axle trailer. 26 pallets on a single deck trailer or a double deck 56 pallets. A close couple trailer.
Roeex22

Post by Roeex22 »

Elinest wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:50 pm
Drewinfo wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:50 pm...
You won't get a job. Because you don't have the experience. The haulage company won't take you on. There is a big difference driving a 3.5 ton van to a 17 tonner right up to a 44 ton truck. A very big difference. For a start you are 50 feet long, your 8 feet wide anything up 16 feet in height. Six axles one being a lift axle 3 axle trailer. 26 pallets on a single deck trailer or a double deck 56 pallets. A close couple trailer.
you are wrong there are plenty of big companies taking 18 year old class 1 I know of 5 or 6 that are 18 or 19 in the company I work for
Gisbour

Post by Gisbour »

Don't use a broker go direct to a company like huges if in the Midlands and discuss with them as when I did mine I went through a broker and paid 1300 (it was 5 years ago for class 2) but if I'd gone directly to them it would of been about 900 for class 2
Leasan27

Post by Leasan27 »

£1500 straight to class 1 in Anglesey - north Wales
Unsworio

Post by Unsworio »

I went from car to class1 for £2500 in total.
In retrospect it would have been perhaps helpful to have a bit of experience with class 2 to get a better feel for the width of the lorry as I smashed 2 of nearside mirrors in my first couple of months. Took me a while to get used to how wide I am on the road.

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”